WD's "my dvr expander" with the 8300hd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so, this may be answered in the "it works" thread, but after 220-some pages, i'm finding it to hard to search for a specific answer. i'm running passport thru the 8300HD (not hdc) from TWcolumbus and i just got the "my dvr expander" yesterday. much to my surprise i find out about the "no ff/rew" on live tv once you hook up the external drive. i 've read a few things on here about this problem, but my question, and the answer i can't seem to find by searching, is "is there a way around this yet?"

has anyone discovered the way to teach the dvr that it's ok to pause/ff/rewind live TV or is this just a screw-job from the cable company that i'm not gonna be able to get around?

mind you, if i'm stuck, that'll be fine in the longrun, because 90% of what i watch is already dvr'ed, but that other 10% (and a MUCH larger % for the girl) that IS live tv is the exact kind of stuff that i'd usually want to scroll back for those random "WTF?!?!?" moments. i just hate the thought that trying to make my HD dvr something i can actually have a decent amount of material on will actually limit what i'm trying to improve . . .

"let's not talk of love and flowers and things that don't explode"

psn: RobynLiquorstorz
xbox live: RobynLiquorstrz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynLiquorstorz View Post

so, this may be answered in the "it works" thread, but after 220-some pages, i'm finding it to hard to search for a specific answer. i'm running passport thru the 8300HD (not hdc) from TWcolumbus and i just got the "my dvr expander" yesterday. much to my surprise i find out about the "no ff/rew" on live tv once you hook up the external drive. i 've read a few things on here about this problem, but my question, and the answer i can't seem to find by searching, is "is there a way around this yet?"

has anyone discovered the way to teach the dvr that it's ok to pause/ff/rewind live TV or is this just a screw-job from the cable company that i'm not gonna be able to get around?

mind you, if i'm stuck, that'll be fine in the longrun, because 90% of what i watch is already dvr'ed, but that other 10% (and a MUCH larger % for the girl) that IS live tv is the exact kind of stuff that i'd usually want to scroll back for those random "WTF?!?!?" moments. i just hate the thought that trying to make my HD dvr something i can actually have a decent amount of material on will actually limit what i'm trying to improve . . .

The solutions appear to be:

1. Fill up your DVR with recordings, so the live stuff is buffered on the internal disk.

2. Turn off your STB before you watch each show. The first channel you watch will buffer in most cases. If you change channels, you lose the live buffer.

3. Wait for Navigator, it supports live buffering with the external drive.

Ted
Old 04-04-2008, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the tips.
i also seem to be experiencing the li'l digital "zzzzt!!" glitches when i'm playing back in HD. one, maybe 2 an hour. nothing unlivable with the trade-off of 300 more hours. just not "flawless" like it should be.
i've seen this mentioned both on here and customer reviews on retail sites. is this something i just have to deal with, or does this mean it's a faulty external drive, or is there a fix?

anyone? thanks in advance for any more tips . . .

"let's not talk of love and flowers and things that don't explode"

psn: RobynLiquorstorz
xbox live: RobynLiquorstrz
Old 04-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I never experienced that with my WD eSATA drive on Passport, but I no longer have it as I switched to DISH last September, so it may have cropped up after I left TWC.

-Ted
Old 09-27-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

The solutions appear to be:

1. Fill up your DVR with recordings, so the live stuff is buffered on the internal disk.

2. Turn off your STB before you watch each show. The first channel you watch will buffer in most cases. If you change channels, you lose the live buffer.

3. Wait for Navigator, it supports live buffering with the external drive.

Ted

Are both Western Digital and Apricom DVR expander having problems with Live Tv and how may I find out for sure if the update for Navigator will solve the Live Tv problem I just bought a 1tb. Apricom dvr xpander and I am about to returned it.I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR. Thanks