Storage Expansion on SA Explorer 8300HDC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. New here, and been searching for HOURS, looking for an answer to my question. I want to add an external SATA drive to my new HD cablebox (Time Warner in Staten Island, NY). I tried this before with my old box (the Explorer non-HD one), and after I bought the drive and all, I found that TWC disabled the function so that I couldn't expand the storage capacity. Bad time indeed, considering I already bought the drive, opened it, and couldn't return it! From what I can ascertain, this is still the case, and TWC doesn't allow for expandability.

From what I can see here though, there are options, and even reading through everything, I still have no idea what to do, and don't want to buy ANOTHER external drive just to have it not work.

What I'd like to know is if there's a guaranteed method to expand my storage space with an external drive, with my HD box (SA Explorer 8300HDC), and my service provider (TWC in New York).

I apologize if this was answered already, buried somewhere in the forums...I just couldn't find anything. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

"Love is not about the prophets, nor the riches in your dreams. The arms of time are breaking off...do you believe in Me?" - Serj Tankian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-08-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I think you will find what you need here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=516559

WTTC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I read through that whole thing prior to posting, but didn't see ANYTHING about TWC in there, but upon really examining Xnappo's database, I do see some stuff in there. I guess I'm just lazy and was looking for a 1-2-3 Good To Go walkthrough. This looks like it'll take some effort, but it will be well worth it. Will put my best efforts into it, and if I can't get it, I'll post again. Worth noting I'm no tech idiot, so I'll probably get it. Thanks for the response though, and pointing me in the right direction =)

"Love is not about the prophets, nor the riches in your dreams. The arms of time are breaking off...do you believe in Me?" - Serj Tankian
post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Another thing is that my guide doesn't look anything like the two images provided, for SARA, and Passport. My new box's guide is all blue, and in the bottom right corner says TV Guide. This difference makes me wary of following the guide, as I'm still afraid it's not gonna work!!

post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

According to the chart, I may be able to do this:

TWC NYC 2.6.002 Apricorn EZ BUS DTS EKIT Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 16MB Yes N/A (Pass!) Click Here 9/30/07 pitviper45 Modify

I'm just unsure whether TWC in NYC is the same as in Staten Island. I normally wouldn't be so wary, except for the fact that I tried this already and wasted my money. I searched both SARA and Passport databases for that drive, and it passed on both. Can anybody offer any support on whether I should go for it or not??

post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you have the 8300HDC, you may have Navigator, not Passport or SARA. You may want to check this discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=723830

Ted
post #7 of 9 Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ted, that's EXACTLY what I have. You are the man =)

Will read through all those damn pages and see what my storage expansion possibilities are. Thanks again!

post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Glad to help. Good luck!

Ted
post #9 of 9 Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr0 View Post

Ted, that's EXACTLY what I have. You are the man =)

Will read through all those damn pages and see what my storage expansion possibilities are. Thanks again!

hydr0, hi. did you figure out if you could expand? i'm in your position.

thanks,
Shadow
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page