Plans for a consumer HD analog-to-digital converter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-28-2001, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, in my seemingly endless search for a way to capture my analog HD outputs, I came upon this product. Yes, I know it is only for NTSC. <sigh> Being the holidays, I thought that I would at least ask to see if there was to be a miracle, and the answer was - maybe. I realize that what follows is with their sales department and they will say anything, but maybe, just maybe, they or another company like them can come through.

Quote:
Greetings!

I found your website through pricewatch.com. Do you have any plans for an analog-to-digital converter that can support High Definition sources?

Thanks!
Quote:
Hello,
There are rough plans for such a product but I have no detailed information at this time.
Canopus Sales
Quote:
Thanks for the update. I know a boat-load of people who would be interested. We have been eagerly awaiting such a device.

Thanks again!

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our Silent Angels Please visit The Manny Page!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-28-2001, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are HD capture boards, but from what I've been reading these boards produce HD-SDI. The HD-SDI would then need to be compressed by another piece of hardware. The real time compression of analog HDTV is no where near cheap enough for a consumer level product.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-28-2001, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeFloyd
There are HD capture boards, but from what I've been reading these boards produce HD-SDI. The HD-SDI would then need to be compressed by another piece of hardware. The real time compression of analog HDTV is no where near cheap enough for a consumer level product.
Second that. And keep in mind something else. Don't confuse ATSC stream recorders with uncompressed HDTV. Any PCI based Pentium2 or greater can easily deal with the 19.4mbs (megabits) ATSC MPEG2 stream. Raw HDTV is 160 MBS (megaBYTES) or 1.5gbs (GIGAbits). Very few stock PC's, even Pentium4's can deal with this in real time. Right off the bat a 64bit PCI buss is required.

There are several HDSDI capture boards available but these are mostly for capturing and outputting still images.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page