AVS Forum banner

Firewire & Comcast digital cable boxes

53K views 248 replies 62 participants last post by  qz3fwd 
#1 ·
Hi All ...

I have been able to pull SD and HD content off my DCT3412 without issue for several years. It has recently stopped working. Has Comcast sent out a firmware update which broke it?

The TS stream I get out of my box now has no audio. Also once I start to capture the stream, I loose the video output going to the TV. Like the stream just doesn't go to the decoder and the last frame is stuck on the screen.

I have tried to soft reset the box (clear settings, memory, HDD), but no go. I am going to try to re-build my capture PC next.

Any ideas? Thanks!

#152 ·
I talked to someone at Corporate, who got in touch with engineering. Told me that 16.57 is scheduled for March roll-out at this point for my area(Lower Bucks-Bensalem) but of course it's subject to change.

But right now, 16.57 is supposed to fix it, and it's supposed to be deployed next month. So we'll see what happens if/when I receive 16.57...

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 /forum/post/15744201

"Live" capture works for me as well, but that's not very useful, if I wanted firewire only for "live" capture I'd save a few bucks a month and get a non DVR HD box.

Oh, I agree completely. I want to capture programs that I record on my DVR. It's rare that i can have my iMac all set up and start it to record live. I was mainly responding to your post above where you said live recording didn't work for you with 1080i. I have no problems recording live with 720p or 1080i.

#154 ·
Well the workaround trick works for me but my issue is now that when I try to transfer programs that were recorded in 1080i the audio is really choppy (almost like it's a throughput issue). Programs that are recorded 720p seem to work just fine. Example: the BCS championship (FOX) can be transfered fine using the workaround. The Superbowl (NBC) audio is extremely choppy using the workaround.

Can anyone give me suggestions on this?

Below is a txt file from an attempted MPEG2repair of a 1080i file.

MPEG2Repair: G:\\090206201110.ts

Sequence Frame 461(20-P) / Time 0:00:15 :

VideoError: Missing 2400 slice macroblocks at MBA=5760(0,768)

Additional error(s) detected. Increase VerboseLogLevel in INI file for details.

FileInfo: Last video errors span 13 bytes at file offset 27437271

Sequence Frame 462(20-P) / Time 0:00:15 :

Info: End of MPEG2 sequence

Sequence Summary:

File Size Processed: 26.17 MB, Play Time: 00h:00m:15s

1920 x 1080, 29.97 fps, 38.71 Mbps (12.72 Mbps Average).

Average Video Quality: 51.42 KB/Frame, 0.20 Bits/Pixel.

AC3 Audio: 3/2 Channels (L, C, R, SL, SR) + LFE, 48.0 kHz, 384 kbps.

Dialog Normalization: -23.0 dB, Center Mix Level: -3.0 dB, Surround Mix Level: -3.0 dB

1 of 462 video frames found with errors.

0 of 478 audio frames found with errors.

13 corrupted video bytes in file.

0.000000 seconds of video timestamp gaps.

0.000000 seconds of audio timestamp gaps.

End of Log

This is an example of a 720p recorded MPEG2Repair file:

MPEG2Repair: G:\\090206201806.ts

Sequence Frame 1125(2-I) / Time 0:00:18 :

VideoError: Invalid Huffman code in intra MPEG2 block. MBA=2483(48,496)

Additional error(s) detected. Increase VerboseLogLevel in INI file for details.

FileInfo: Last video errors span 37 bytes at file offset 37450691

Sequence Frame 1126(2-I) / Time 0:00:18 :

Info: End of MPEG2 sequence

Sequence Summary:

File Size Processed: 35.72 MB, Play Time: 00h:00m:18s

1280 x 720, 59.94 fps, 38.41 Mbps (14.92 Mbps Average).

Average Video Quality: 30.38 KB/Frame, 0.27 Bits/Pixel.

AC3 Audio: 3/2 Channels (L, C, R, SL, SR) + LFE, 48.0 kHz, 448 kbps.

Dialog Normalization: -25.0 dB, Center Mix Level: -3.0 dB, Surround Mix Level: 0.0 dB

1 of 1126 video frames found with errors.

0 of 587 audio frames found with errors.

37 corrupted video bytes in file.

0.000000 seconds of video timestamp gaps.

0.000000 seconds of audio timestamp gaps.

End of Log

#155 ·
I have a Motorola DCT 6412 III (firmware 16.53) and just started doing captures. I thought I would NOT be able to capture from the 6412's DVR, but the work around discussed in this thread works for me. I really appreciate the effort of those who provided information on the work around.

I have a couple of questions for those who have received the 16.57 firmware update.

Does 16.57 resolve the problem in 16.53 of not being able to capture from the DVR?

Any new problems present in 16.57?

#156 ·
Here's a question whose answer depends on what is actually "broken" with the firmware and how it would affect DVR recordings after a fix is implemented.

If I make a DVR recording now that I can't properly capture via firewire (even with the workaround) because I get no sound, is that recording never going to be any good, or will it be okay later when (if) the firmware gets updated and the fix is implemented? In other words, are existing recordings "good" but the firmware prevents it from transferring correctly via firewire, or were the recordings "corrupted" by the broken firmware in the first place and thus will never be able to be captured?

Trying to decide if I should be patient with a few recordings still on my DVR and try to capture them in the future or if that won't matter.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21 /forum/post/15795870

Here's a question whose answer depends on what is actually "broken" with the firmware and how it would affect DVR recordings after a fix is implemented.

If I make a DVR recording now that I can't properly capture via firewire (even with the workaround) because I get no sound, is that recording never going to be any good, or will it be okay later when (if) the firmware gets updated and the fix is implemented? In other words, are existing recordings "good" but the firmware prevents it from transferring correctly via firewire, or were the recordings "corrupted" by the broken firmware in the first place and thus will never be able to be captured?

Trying to decide if I should be patient with a few recordings still on my DVR and try to capture them in the future or if that won't matter.

I would imagine that a new firmware fix would make those recordings "capturable" (new word). The recordings are just stored digitally on the hard disk, the outputs on the player output whatever the device is playing back. So a fix to the firewire outputs should "fix" whatever the box is outputting, shouldn't matter if it's live TV or a recording that is 4 months old.

Of course if the recording is 5C enabled, then it wouldn't be able to be captured with CapDVHS. If an old recording is flagged "copy once" and the channel now is set to "copy free" that old recording wouldn't be able to be captured, even though the channel is now copy free. The 5c bits are stored with each recorded program.

#158 ·
That's what I assume should be the case too. The programs I'm referring to are "copy freely" - a couple of workout programs my wife likes from FitTV that I want to burn to a DVD sans commercials, plus a movie or two from TCM (stuff that isn't on DVD yet so I want to make my own).

#159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21 /forum/post/15796193

That's what I assume should be the case too. The programs I'm referring to are "copy freely" - a couple of workout programs my wife likes from FitTV that I want to burn to a DVD sans commercials, plus a movie or two from TCM (stuff that isn't on DVD yet so I want to make my own).

If you are doing SD only, it is a WHOLE lot easier just to use a DVD recorder or computer tv tuner/capture card, and use the analog outputs on the box. The only way to get HD off the box in digital form is firewire or HDMI(which is HDCP protected).

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 /forum/post/15805075

If you are doing SD only, it is a WHOLE lot easier just to use a DVD recorder or computer tv tuner/capture card, and use the analog outputs on the box. The only way to get HD off the box in digital form is firewire or HDMI(which is HDCP protected).

You assume that because it's SD it doesn't matter. I disagree. Even if the video is SD it is better to capture the digital signal without conversion to analog and then back to digital form.

And no, it's not easier for me to do that way in any case. I don't have a DVD recorder. I don't have a computer tv tuner/capture card, nor could I add one to my iMac easily. I do have a Canopus ADVC110 , but capturing the analog video to DV format and converting it from there is a lot more work than using firewire to capture digitally from the box.

I also capture HD (like the entire Super Bowl) from the box. But I also would prefer to get SD content the same way.

#161 ·
Any news if there is also a firmware update for the DCH series as well? I have a DCH3416 with firmware 18.43 and can record off of some channels, not others. I can record via firewire from ESPNHD, either live or saved, but can't record CBSHD either live or saved? Some other channels work, like UniversalHD, others like the Big Ten Network do not. I checked CBSHD and 5C encryption doesn't show as active, and the status shows "copy freely" but I get nothing in CapDVHS. Tried the "workaround", no luck.

#162 ·
First - thank you all for an educational thread. I am new to trying to capture from my DVR, but am an intermediate level AV geek, so the background is very helpful.

Here's the details on my set up:

PowerBook G4

OSX 10.4.1

DCH341 comcast receiver

using AVCVideo Capture

FireWire SDK 26

I can see the device and it initially shows the device as "open" in the capture software. I create the file, but after saving it, I never get to the dialog box that allows for setting and starting the recording. If I click "Capture" is says it "cannot connect to device".

I've read through thread 1103423 (sorry -to new to post URL's)

which led me to Raj's updated "how to" at

posting 13927293 where I followed his suggestions, but no joy.

Feels like I'm painfully close... painful being the operative word. Any of you pros have advice?

Thanks!

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE /forum/post/15822017

Any news if there is also a firmware update for the DCH series as well? I have a DCH3416 with firmware 18.43 and can record off of some channels, not others. I can record via firewire from ESPNHD, either live or saved, but can't record CBSHD either live or saved? Some other channels work, like UniversalHD, others like the Big Ten Network do not. I checked CBSHD and 5C encryption doesn't show as active, and the status shows "copy freely" but I get nothing in CapDVHS. Tried the "workaround", no luck.

I'm having the same issue; the error I get in CapDVHS is "Error: Cannot open output file."

It happens on channels without 5C and on both recordings and live TV. I was able less than a month ago without any issues.

Thanks.

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pastore /forum/post/15855972

I'm having the same issue; the error I get in CapDVHS is "Error: Cannot open output file."

It happens on channels without 5C and on both recordings and live TV. I was able less than a month ago without any issues.

Thanks.

Are you sure the file and drive it's trying to write to are valid? I don't get any error like that, it simply doesn't record, no data shows up in the CapDVHS informational fields and there aren't any video/audio PIDs present in the file it creates.

#165 ·
For a few months, workaround was fine, as long as I did not want to capture ESPN.

And racing was done, so I didn't care.

But now, the season has started, I have races on my DVR for my son, and lo and behold, video records as a blank screen, although the audio is present, with workaround.

DVR: DCT3416

Firmware: 16.53

Computer: iMac running AVCVideoCap

Channel: Fox HD

Show recorded: 1 week ago.

Anyone else having the same problem?

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Legend /forum/post/16106806

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with the workaround. I have 3 boxes and it works on all 3. Especially on programming that worked live.

Can you tell me which post specifically has the "workaround" -- I saw a few--or just quote it for me--would be greatly appreciated and I'll give it another try with results.

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Legend /forum/post/16106806

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with the workaround. I have 3 boxes and it works on all 3. Especially on programming that worked live.

My apologies--upon re-reading the thread--I realized the file did not work with VideoRedo--it did play fine with vlc media player. I would also note that Pinnacle (12) was able to play the file with audio fine upon using HDTVtoMPEG2 to convert it to MPEG without having to use any repair process.

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder /forum/post/16109366

I do have a question--obviously you cannot preserve the High Definition video when converting to MPEG-2, but can you preserve the surround sound audio?

The HD stream captured via firewire is already MPEG2, so there's no need to convert it. And you absolutely can keep it in it's original HD resolutions. The AC3 audio is kept intact as well. What I've found is usually necessary is to cut 5-10 frames off the beginning of the file using HDTVtoMPEG, then it's usable by most other apps.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE /forum/post/16112619

The HD stream captured via firewire is already MPEG2, so there's no need to convert it. And you absolutely can keep it in it's original HD resolutions. The AC3 audio is kept intact as well. What I've found is usually necessary is to cut 5-10 frames off the beginning of the file using HDTVtoMPEG, then it's usable by most other apps.

Thanks for the input. I found that when I play the video back, I now have black borders on top and bottom. The original program was HDTV (16:9) so I don't know why it doesn't stay in that aspect ratio. Is there some setting I didn't have correct? I recorded using CAPDVHS via firewire and then converted using HDTVtoMPEG.

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder /forum/post/16112836

Thanks for the input. I found that when I play the video back, I now have black borders on top and bottom. The original program was HDTV (16:9) so I don't know why it doesn't stay in that aspect ratio. Is there some setting I didn't have correct? I recorded using CAPDVHS via firewire and then converted using HDTVtoMPEG.

Are you playing it back on a widescreen monitor? If you aren't that's why the black borders are there.

I use VideoRedo for all my ts captures and it works everytime, unless the file at some point stopped recording during the process. This will usually yield a file VideoRedo can't handle. At that point, I just use HDTVtoMPEG to cut the file down to the last frame that did work and then reopen it in VideoRedo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.