Recording HDTV to DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-23-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, With the Olympics fast approaching I am after a solution to record HDTV and then transfer it to DVD. I hear that Haupagge do a unit that transcodes to AVCHD which can then be recorded to DVD to be played on a blu-ray player. Has anyone got any other methods to get HD onto DVD? As Bluray media is still pricey I would prefer a DVD solution. Something with an .ISO ouput file would be good as I can use Nero to record straight onto DVD. Also does anyone know what format HD PVRs record in and can the files be uploaded to a computer for later storage/transfer to DVD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpanoff View Post

Hi All, With the Olympics fast approaching I am after a solution to record HDTV and then transfer it to DVD. I hear that Haupagge do a unit that transcodes to AVCHD which can then be recorded to DVD to be played on a blu-ray player. Has anyone got any other methods to get HD onto DVD? As Bluray media is still pricey I would prefer a DVD solution. Something with an .ISO ouput file would be good as I can use Nero to record straight onto DVD. Also does anyone know what format HD PVRs record in and can the files be uploaded to a computer for later storage/transfer to DVD?

I know people do it with TiVo, not sure about the other methods.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The AVCHD format is a way to record HDTV blu-ray files onto standard DVD disks and then play in HDTV on some Blu-Ray players like the PS3, you do not use blu-ray disks for this. You can also author HD-DVD format disks using Movie Factory 6 that you can burn onto standard DVD and DVD DL disks. Look in the Blu Ray and HD-DVD software forums.

Mike T
post #4 of 4 Old 06-28-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I think you've already stated that the Hauppauge PVR HD allows you to burn AVCHD content to DVD (not only Blu-ray) media for replay on an AVC HD compliant Blu-ray player ? That doesn't require you to use Blu-ray media - just an AVC HD compatible Blu-ray player with DVD+/-R (possibly Dual Layer) media. PS3s are a good fit for this replay solution AIUI. Obviously you either have to drop quality or get reduced running time when you compare DVD 5/9 storage to Blu-ray 25/50.

Similarly a bunch of large hard drives (much better value per Gb than Blu-ray media) and something like a Popcorn Hour would do the trick with the Hauppauge device, as it would also with an ATSC PC tuner card if the services you want to record are available OTA and you have a good antenna? The advantage of the ATSC tuner is that you could keep things in native HD MPEG2 as broadcast - and avoid a quality loss caused by code/decode - though the bit rate (and thus storage requirements) may be higher.

(I've played test streams from a Hauppauge HD PVR on my Popcorn Hour and they play fine BTW)
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page