Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-05-2002, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am sure I am not the only person with an itch to scratch. Can someone arrange a group buy?

LJG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-05-2002, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could be interested. It depends on the pricing. For the SR-W5U its all over the place. MSRP is $4891, GSA price is$2959 and B stock has been available for about $2400
post #3 of 23 Old 01-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

One of the forum members, Milton, can aquire Japanese versions of the W-VHS unit for a very good price.

It seems to me that we're on the edge of seeing a genuine solution for our problems, with two HD D-VHS units now available and affordable and the much needed STB-1394 combo coming in soon..... I'd think hard before shelling out $1k or more on a W-VHS unless you only intend to use legacy equipment.

Greg
post #4 of 23 Old 01-05-2002, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The issue with W-VHS is the tape prices.

However, in Japan, they've been liquidating them pretty cheaply as well. Contact Nicolas Santini if interested, he can get the W-VHS decks used for less than $1,000 in most cases.

His user ID on AVS is n$a

-Brian

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com
post #5 of 23 Old 01-05-2002, 03:40 PM

Quote:
It seems to me that we're on the edge of seeing a genuine solution for our problems, with two HD D-VHS units now available and affordable and the much needed STB-1394 combo coming in soon..... I'd think hard before shelling out $1k or more on a W-VHS unless you only intend to use legacy equipment.
Hidefguy,
With a Dish 6000 and a TV with only Analogue component inputs can you give me a better option than W-VHS now or in the near future ?

Steve
post #6 of 23 Old 01-05-2002, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyway, I'm interested in a powerbuy. My HTPC is driving me nuts and I really wish I could have recorded the Rose Parade on HDNet.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-05-2002, 09:42 PM

hidefguy, please elaborate on your "combo" statement.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdawg
hidefguy, please elaborate on your "combo" statement.
Poorly worded by me, I meant the combo of a STB and a 1394 input/output. This is all that's missing from the current equation, since we have the HD D-VHS units being manufactured.

Steve,
With your setup, I agree that a W-VHS is the only reasonable way of recording HD, but I'm pretty certain that Ergan mentioned the possibility of a HD PVR under development, and for DirecTV, there are rumors of a JVS HD STB-1394 on the way. $1k or more for an analog recorder is a lot of money if these other digital alternatives do arrive within the 2 quarter of this year, and as another has mentioned, the tape cost of W-VHS units is *very* high, I know because I use a W-VHS ($25-$40 each, and that's using D9's, not the branded W-VHS tapes which are identical but more expensive in the US). If you were thinking about this a year back, I would have agreed (or suggested finding a Dish5000 + HD tuner/HD1000 etc), but I'd at least wait for reports from CES to see what's on the way.

Greg
post #9 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 12:18 AM

Greg

Can you get "2 hour" D9 tapes for less than about $30 each or is the $24 you mention for something like the Fuji DS-34? If you are getting the "2 hour" D9s for only $24 could you please reveal your source.

Thanks

Milton Henry
post #10 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm missing something but none of the HD-VCR's out in the market right now has an ATSC tuner, which means you can't watch a show while recording another. All they're good for is for recording the same show that you're watching. That's a major drawback for me. Until HD-VCR's can provide timeshifting capability they are not ready for prime time.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

To me, W-VHS is the only solution right now to recording DirecTV, so I will compare it to the Dish 5000+Modulator. The modulator also doesn't have a second tuner, so you can't watch one thing and record another. People still seem to find it useful.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MiltonH
Can you get "2 hour" D9 tapes for less than about $30 each or is the $24 you mention for something like the Fuji DS-34?
Milton;
No, I was refering to the general range or prices for DS34 through DS124. I hope if anyone here has any leads on price breaks for the DigitalS tapes they will share;

Vic;
I agree, for most of us the new D-VHS units are of no use at all since (incomprehensibly) neither Mits nor JVC has included an ATSC receiver. That's why we're waiting with anticipation for the first STB's with a 1394 connection to arrive. I haven't been following the cable HD box saga that closely but I got the impression that some of those may have a firewire (with HAVI?)

Greg
post #13 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

How would a STB with 1394 connections change the situation? It would still be only one signal coming through the Firewire interface, wouldn't it? That still wouldn't help with timeshifting.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
How would a STB with 1394 connections change the situation? It would still be only one signal coming through the Firewire interface, wouldn't it? That still wouldn't help with timeshifting.
It would, if the STB was capable of tuning multiple channels simultaneously, like Ultimate TV. Not compute intensive, since the recorders don't need the MPEG-2 decoded. The ATSC tuners in Mitsubishi's integrated sets could easily have been designed to do it, but, according to their NetCommand documentation (page 16, paragraph 3) were not--you apparently can only use the television to watch an analog source or turn it off while its digital tuner is being recorded.

Maybe 8 VSB demodulation is expensive?

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #15 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
And I think this may come down to my very limited grasp of the technology and what's planned; I thought the idea was that you'd end up with a STB something like the 169 mod, where it would have component outputs, but also 1394; The 1394 feed would connect to a D-VHS unit, which could record the MPEG stream, and play back through the STB. This would enable time-shifting of material. At least this is what I thought a first generation STB-1394 unit would work like.

Greg
post #16 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it would allow limited timeshifting. For example, you could record a program if you're not home, but you still could not record one program while watching another. The only solution would be, like Mike said, either a VCR with an ATSC tuner or (even better) a PVR with dual HD tuners.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 04:34 PM

IMHO, there's too much emphasis in this thread (from some) being placed on the 'view one-channel-record-another' issue. For those of us who have considered (for months or even years!) sending our stbs off to be modified, or worse, trying to rig-up a PC to record only! ota HDTV broadcasts, ANY new stb that offers the ability to record HD is going to be frickin' AWESOME! besides, the above comments about being able to watch a program via component outs while recording via FireWire are probably correct.

I also seriously considered JVC W-VHS, but feel that if I'm patient (3-4 months), a better solution is just around the corner. Come on, CES!
post #18 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
IMHO, there's too much emphasis in this thread (from some) being placed on the 'view one-channel-record-another' issue. For those of us who have considered (for months or even years!) sending our stbs off to be modified, or worse, trying to rig-up a PC to record only! ota HDTV broadcasts, ANY new stb that offers the ability to record HD is going to be frickin' AWESOME! besides, the above comments about being able to watch a program via component outs while recording via FireWire are probably correct.

I also seriously considered JVC W-VHS, but feel that if I'm patient (3-4 months), a better solution is just around the corner. Come on, CES!
Do you feel that this solution will address the recording of stuff off of DirecTV?
post #19 of 23 Old 01-06-2002, 09:05 PM

From all accounts, yes. The only problem I forsee is copy-protected HD movies on PPV (on DirecTV).
post #20 of 23 Old 01-07-2002, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From all accounts, yes. The only problem I forsee is copy-protected HD movies on PPV (on DirecTV).
So, it's really possible that in a few months, DirecTV will have an STB that has the appropriate output that will go into one of these new recorders, as well as having digital information regarding copy-protection embedded in their programming?
post #21 of 23 Old 01-07-2002, 01:03 PM

Yes, based on everything I've been reading and hearing. The 2002 CES ought to clear up a lot of these questions.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-07-2002, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 207
People looking to buy WVHS machines need to keep in mind image constraint. If this comes into play, you will basically have the equivilant of progressive DVD on constrained material.

However, at least you will still be able to record it even if "copy never" is turned on. A DVHS would not record anything if the material is tagged "copy never".

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #23 of 23 Old 01-07-2002, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
People looking to buy WVHS machines need to keep in mind image constraint. If this comes into play, you will basically have the equivilant of progressive DVD on constrained material.

However, at least you will still be able to record it even if "copy never" is turned on. A DVHS would not record anything if the material is tagged "copy never".
In image constraint comes into play, my plasma screen becomes useless too, so the WVHS would be the least of my problems...
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page