Warning about "DVHS-2" recorders on ebay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2002, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's a guy selling modified HD1000 recorders on ebay with the designation "DVHS-2". He claims that they are compatible with standard HD1000 machines. He also claims that replacement heads are available from Panasonic Parts and Service.

As has been pointed out here by several members, the DVHS-2 heads are completely different from standard HD1000 heads, and are probably not available from Panasonic, or any where else. If you risk purchasing this machine you should at least demand proof of availability of the special head cylinder. You should also ask for "DVHS-2" manuals, rather than HD1000.

Tapes made on this machine do not play on HD1000 or JVC machines. Likewise, tapes made on HD1000 or JVC machines don't play on the DVHS-2.

-Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2002, 07:20 PM

I've never heard of this machine. Is it the predecessor to the HD1000? Does it record and play back thru the DST50/51 even though it is not compatible with other DVHS machines?

Jay

"Can I please just watch this the way it was meant to be seen?"
post #3 of 5 Old 01-07-2002, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Nemeth
I've never heard of this machine. Is it the predecessor to the HD1000? Does it record and play back thru the DST50/51 even though it is not compatible with other DVHS machines?
It's built in a standard HD1000 case that has been hand modified, so I doubt that it's a predecessor. It's mostly HD1000 parts with the exception of the power supply, digital board, and head cylinders. The non-standard parts are not listed on the Panasonic web site, so maintenance will be a serious problem. My wild-ass guess is that it was a special run of machines for an OEM customer in Canada.

It works properly with the DST-50/51, and will play back it's own tapes, but it can't record or play tapes compatible with HD1000 or JVC machines.

It is not at all related to "Demo" HD1000's or to the "emasculated" HD1000's recently offered on ebay.

To his credit the seller (acheney) has stopped selling these recorders until he's able to clarify the head replacement issue

-Roger
post #4 of 5 Old 01-18-2002, 12:30 AM

Quote:
It is not at all related to "Demo" HD1000's or to the "emasculated" HD1000's recently offered on ebay.
Is there anything wrong with the "Demo" HD1000's on eBay?

/eric
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2002, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nothing seriously wrong. They were used by retailers to run the Panasonic Demo tape continuously on a daily basis. As such, they may have seen more use than a typical consumer machine. They have longer-wearing heads that favor playback over recording. Some have not had the record current set properly. There are a few other minor differences that are unimportant.

Service is the biggest problem. There's no warrantee on the demo machines and Panasonic can even refuse to repair them. However, replacement parts are available. If you are capable of doing light recorder maintenance then the demo's are a good choice.

I have four demo machines. Three needed new heads, two needed new pinch rollers and iLink jacks, and one required full alignment.

-Roger
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page