Pace MPEG-4 set top boxes (TDC787X) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 387 Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Linden. I posted this to the tv thread also and someone there pointed me to some other threads concerning this issue. One suggestion in those threads was to change the energy saver settings on the tv. I did that and it corrected my problem. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 387 Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 AM

Linden,

What is the status with the tiling issue and excessive short term errors? I spoke with my contact at Armstong and he said it has been escalated to corporate and that they are working with Pace directly.

Thanks for any update.
post #93 of 387 Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM

I have 2 of the TDC787x boxes and have noticed a lot of weirdness happening with them.

One of the issues is when I connect via HDMI to my Hitachi tv every day at least one time per day the sound will go to max and I have to mute the box for about 10 seconds then it goes back down. Changing the volume level on the TV nor the box has any affect. If I switch to component cables(5 wires) it no longer does this.

I also have a problem of the boxes just randomly resetting. There is nothing on or around them and no real indication of when it will happen. Channels being HD or SD doesn't matter. Last night I moved one of the boxes to another TV with composite(3 wires) cables and it was resetting almost every 30 minutes like clockwork. I disconnect the cables and went with just straight RF into the TV and it stopped resetting.

TDC787x ver 11.90 tvg 240 seachange 4_85 ccver 02.01

Hitachi 50" 50V720 Connected VIA HDMI
Mitsubishi Analog 32" TV about 14 years old

Any ideas?

ItsNewToYou
post #94 of 387 Old 12-17-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobydolby View Post

Linden,

What is the status with the tiling issue and excessive short term errors? I spoke with my contact at Armstong and he said it has been escalated to corporate and that they are working with Pace directly.

This is a accurate summary of the situation. I don't have any more details at this time.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #95 of 387 Old 12-17-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnewtoyou View Post

I also have a problem of the boxes just randomly resetting. There is nothing on or around them and no real indication of when it will happen. Channels being HD or SD doesn't matter. Last night I moved one of the boxes to another TV with composite(3 wires) cables and it was resetting almost every 30 minutes like clockwork.

How many series recordings or one time recordings do you have scheduled? If its not too painful, can you delete all the future recordings and see if the problem persists?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #96 of 387 Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 AM

I am new to these forums so sorry if this is a repost. I just got a TDC787X yesterday from GCI cable in Alaska
My first question is i know it has a internal 160GB hdd but what is it rated for? How much SD content can i record before it fills up and how much HD content can i record before it fills up?

Also it seems kind of weird because i recorded an hour of myth busters yesterday and it said it took up 10% of the hard drive. Is that right because it was recording in SD not HD.

Also i heard you can add a eSATA hdd. How high of a capacity can you add, and can it be any eSATA or does it have to be a specific brand. Also i called my cable company and they were not sure if it was enabled on the DVR. Are all of them enabled?

Thank you for your time and again sorry for the repost if their is one.
post #97 of 387 Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter99507 View Post

My first question is i know it has a internal 160GB hdd but what is it rated for?

Please see the first post in this thread. The DVR status page will tell you roughly how many hours of SD and/or HD can be recorded on the internal (or external eSATA) drive(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter99507 View Post

How high of a capacity can you add, and can it be any eSATA or does it have to be a specific brand.

Please see the first post in this forum (I just updated it). Several brands have been certified and will work, but combo USB/eSATA drives will likely be problematic. Be sure to buy a drive with just eSATA. More discussion can be found on the other Pace STB threads (i.e. Pace CableCARD thread).

Note: the first post now also has links to online manuals.

Linden
post #98 of 387 Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM

Still having problems getting DD5.1 to work consistently over HDMI.

In the past, I was able to restore it by rebooting the box. I have the HDMI setting to pass-through and have the auto-detect to disabled since my display inaccurately reports as 720p capable only. I've tried flipping from PCM-Auto-passthrough with no luck. I connected a digital coax cable and configured the receiver to use it as the audio source as a workaround until a permanent fix is established. I also had Armstrong try resetting the box. My F/W is still 11.37.
post #99 of 387 Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 AM

Lindend;
Sorry about the delay... MSO changed a setting in the TVG and both issues appear to be working correctly.

ItsNewtoYou
post #100 of 387 Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnewtoyou View Post

MSO changed a setting in the TVG

Who is your cable provider?

Linden
post #101 of 387 Old 12-30-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobydolby View Post

since my display inaccurately reports as 720p capable only. I've tried flipping from PCM-Auto-passthrough with no luck.

I checked but I didn't see a post of the HDMI diags page. Can you please post the details of that page? I'd like to see what we think your display is capable of.

The HDMI page is a sub-page of the Interface status page if you have difficulty finding it.

Linden
post #102 of 387 Old 12-30-2008, 11:54 AM

I have a Pace TDC776D which I'm trying to set up with a Slingbox Solo, and Sling customer service are being a bunch of mamby-pants. Their IR control has settings for the 575 and the 775, but neither work with the 776D. Their software *does* let you enter a custom code for a unit, however...

Does anyone happen to have a code for Slingboxes that might work with the 776D's?
post #103 of 387 Old 01-01-2009, 06:37 PM

I guess I was wrong I am still having the HDMI audio issue. Insight.

ItsNewToYou
post #104 of 387 Old 01-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Hi all,
Just wanted to let you know of a problem I'm having with my new Pace TDC787X box. I replaced my old 779 box with the new pace 787 box because of some problems I was having accessing some channels on tuner #2.
Hooked the new 787 box up and all was fine. After running for about an hour, I noticed that an area about 3" wide accross the top of the screen was distorted (sawtooth on diagonal lines as well as the image offset with the rest of the screen). I run 4:3 material on the zoom aspect to fill my screen. The distortion only happens when using this aspect setting. It happens on 4:3, 16:9 and on any resolution material.
After experimenting with this I found a reboot of the box will clear the distortion until the aspect is changed, and then it is back when viewed with zoom mode again. I replaced the HDMI cable, tried component video cables, and also hooked it up to another TV. I returned the 787 box to my cable company and the new replacement box does the same thing.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions I could try.
Both TV's are Samsung LN52A650 and a LN-T3242H.
Thanks, Dave
post #105 of 387 Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie View Post

Their IR control has settings for the 575 and the 775, but neither work with the 776D.

Any IR control that works on the 775 will work on the 776 because they use the same protocol.

Linden
post #106 of 387 Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson62 View Post

Hooked the new 787 box up and all was fine. After running for about an hour, I noticed that an area about 3" wide accross the top of the screen was distorted (sawtooth on diagonal lines as well as the image offset with the rest of the screen). I run 4:3 material on the zoom aspect to fill my screen. The distortion only happens when using this aspect setting. It happens on 4:3, 16:9 and on any resolution material.

What output resolutions are active and what output types (HDMI/Component etc.) are you using?

Linden
post #107 of 387 Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Dave,

What output resolutions are active and what output types (HDMI/Component etc.) are you using?

Thank you for your response.
Currently I am forcing 1080i over HDMI. I did try using all available resolutions on the pace box with the same results. Distorted band on the top of the screen when using zoom display on any resolution / source or cable (HDMI or Component).
post #108 of 387 Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson62 View Post

Thank you for your response.
Currently I am forcing 1080i over HDMI.

I believe we may have replicated the problem but only on 480i. So you see this issue on 480i, 720p and 1080i?

Linden
post #109 of 387 Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:

I believe we may have replicated the problem but only on 480i. So you see this issue on 480i, 720p and 1080i?

Yes, as I recall the distortion was present in all 480i, 720p, and 1080i. The distortion was not as bad with 720p or 1080i sources, but still there. I will confirm when I get home tonight.
Was your test TV a Samsung or another brand? Just wondering if it was a Samsung specific problem or not.
Thanks for your attention to this problem, it's good to know you guys are here.
Dave

Confirmed, the distortion is hard to notice on 720p and 1080i material. The biggest problem with any resolution material is the border between the distorted ban across the top of the screen, and the rest of the picture. There is a line which can be seen anytime the picture is paned or moved quickly. This line is there with any source material 480i, 720p, or 1080i.
post #110 of 387 Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Any IR control that works on the 775 will work on the 776 because they use the same protocol.

Well, I got this matter resolved. I can't say I'm completely surprised about the fix. As I suspected when I first contacted Sling, it seems that the SlingPlayer software 2.0.1.481 has a problem with the IR codes they use.

Although I could never get their software to control it with the "Pace Micro TDC-775" settings, they had me set it for a Motorola DCT6412 and that solved the problem.

What chaffs me is that they claim the 776D isn't supported, since as Lindend has said, the most notable difference between the 775 and 776D is that the 775 is a Cablecard (US) PVR, while the 776D is a non-Cablecard (Canadian) PVR.

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Sling Media Technical Support.
(ed.- for the THIRD TIME)

Since the Cable Box is not supported with Slingbox, there are some stuff that you can try to get it working.
You can try to select Motorola DCT6412, seems to be almost identical so that might work.
Also you can try selecting Motorola and selecting Code 1.

post #111 of 387 Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM

I have recently received a Pace DC700X from Mediacom for my High Def channels. I have hooked it up and it appears to work great. In looking through the owners manual that you posted a link to, it mentions the use of an eSata external hard drive to enable DVR control. I can't seem to find any other information sources for this box anywhere! A few questions I have for this:

1. Is there any way to tell without an eSata drive if Mediacom has enabled/disabled the eSata port?

2. Will any external enclosure with eSata and 750gig or less hard drive work? I saw mention in a post to reference the first post for approved drives, but I can not seem to locate any info about it.

3. Can you recommend brand or model of eSata that works for the Pace DC700X?

Thanks a ton in advance for any info!
post #112 of 387 Old 01-16-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsturm99 View Post

1. Is there any way to tell without an eSata drive if Mediacom has enabled/disabled the eSata port?

The SATA diagnostics page will report if the port is enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsturm99 View Post

3. Can you recommend brand or model of eSata that works for the Pace DC700X?

I just updated the first post in this thread with tested/supported drives. Hopefully, this will answer your questions.

Linden
post #113 of 387 Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Hi all;

I am having some issues with audio dropping, believe I may have some helpful information, and am wondering if any progress has been made. In summary, for me, it appears to be hdmi related.. full details below:

I have a Pace Aspen TDC776D connected to Shaw Cable. For all purposes except audio, it's working great. HD and SD and PVR behave as expected. I'm told Shaw uses MPEG2 and has no MPEG4 at this time, however I cannot personally verify the accuracy of this.

I've recently re-run cable to ensure high quality signal and do my best to rule signaling problems as the source of the audio drops. The 776D reports signal of around 0 for IB1 and 2 for IB2. Signal levels elsewhere in the house range from 0 to 2. SNR is usually good, at 35-36 or so, although once in a while fluctuates to "fair". All unused cable outlets are terminated. My home has a PCT multimedia drop amp, standard Shaw equipment, with +7db gain on all ports and active return (i.e. also boosts the signal going out of the house). All splitters are high quality Antronix splitters 5-1000MHz and 120dbi noise protection. (i.e. the stuff is all high quality).

The Pace box is connected directly to the TV (there's no amp / receiver). The TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-37D40U. Connection is HDMI. Pace is set to Auto for audio, and TV is set to take audio from digital input (i.e. the HDMI). Also, for testing, I have a rca cable analog audio output from the Pace box to the TV, allowing me to change which audio feed to use on the TV (i.e. change between digital and analog input).

When audio drops, it goes away for about 1 second, and then returns. It will do that approximately 2-4 times per hour. Audio drops have only been seen on HD channels. Also, they're in live, recorded, and 'delayed' watching (i.e. watching 15 seconds behind live).

When it occurs, I test by rewinding the DVR to see if the audio drop is still there. For almost all of my testing, the audio drop does not appear in re-play of the same scene. Finally, I've tested by using the analog/rca audio instead of audio over hdmi, and found no audio drops when using analog/rca inputs and not hdmi.

I don't know if this is helpful for anyone or not, but thought I'd post it. Since I'm only using tv speakers, the digital capabilities of the digital audio are less important to me, although the ability to use hdmi universally would be nice.

I'm welcome to any questions or other info people may want.

Thanks
post #114 of 387 Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is this box Tru2Way compatable? Will it be able to generate a guide/UI in HD (at least 720p) 16:9? I'm tired of all these archaic cable interfaces with boring SD guide graphics. Any word on much better, more capeable feature filled guides running on this hardware?

How about some good features like a true 16:9 guide? How about PIP? How about web based DVR scheduling like DirecTV and Fios? How about Multi-Room DVR like Fios? How about on screen widgets and games? How about rich graphics with cover art like on Fios? How about DLNA and home networking like Fios/DirecTV/Dish Network? Why are Cable providers so behind in terms of on screen guides/UI? Look how nice U-Verse's interface is. Heck, you can do yellowpages.com searches through your U-Verse box. You can play DVR recordings in other rooms (MR-DVR). You have slick graphics with modern transitions and elements in U-Verse. Would it hurt to provide a simple channel logo in the guide? It's all about brand recognition. If you are scrolling fast through the guide you happen to notice logo's like CNN, ESPN, Fox, ABC, etc... Would it hurt to improve the search features so that on demand listings are shown as well as linear channel results?

Why is I-Guide still used today? Looks like it's something that could easily come out of my old 16-bit Super Nintendo from 1992 with it's 3.54 MHz CPU. I'm sure these modern day DVR's could run much better software. Look at Tivo.... It's running on a 300 MHz Broadcom CPU, much like in Motorola DVR's. Time to fire that I-Guide team. I wish they would at least hire talented graphic designers to overhaul the interface. I hope they read online forums, blogs and keep up with the latest technology so they are aware of features that need to be added. Linden, you are great. When is a representative from Macrovision going to come public on here and get real world customer input, so they can improve their guide? Maybe you can e-mail some of these concerns to them. They seem pretty dead to the idea of updating their archaic, bland, limited featureless interface. Instead they changed it from tan to blue, made 6 listings 5 with a giant ad at the bottom of the screen, and pretty much called it a finished product. That lack of progress has me literally DISGUSTED. Yet I feel helpless as there's no real way to contact them, or even get updates on their progress.
post #115 of 387 Old 01-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:

The SATA diagnostics page will report if the port is enabled.

Is the SATA diagnotics page the same as the main diagnostics page which is entered by turning on the dc700x and pressing settings right away? I can access that screen, but I only see something about hard drive sleep mode. I am accessing the right screen?
post #116 of 387 Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

Is this box Tru2Way compatable?

Tru2Way has been shown running on this box at various shows.

Quote:

Will it be able to generate a guide/UI in HD (at least 720p) 16:9? I'm tired of all these archaic cable interfaces with boring SD guide graphics. Any word on much better, more capeable feature filled guides running on this hardware?

I can't get into the merits of the guides but Passport from Macrovision has been deployed at various sites using different Pace boxes. In addition, a variety of guides have been shown on the Tru2Way demos mentioned above.

Quote:

How about PIP?

This particular set of boxes are not PIP capable.

As far the other questions, I'm not ignoring them, just can't comment on unannounced and/or unreleased products.

Linden
post #117 of 387 Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nated1 View Post

I'm welcome to any questions or other info people may want.

As an experiment, can you got into the HDMI section of Pace User Settings and force the HDMI output to be PCM?

Linden
post #118 of 387 Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks linden for your response. A lot of these new DVR's appear to be much more capeable than the software that currently runs on them. Heck, even Howard Stern today was dissing the Cable DVR guide. I think he has Cablevision iO, so that would be a SA box, but still the premise applies to all. Cable guides are very poor compared to the likes of Moxi, Tivo, and some of the other more advanced media center interfaces out there.

I'm glad to know that the box does support Tru2Way. I'm hoping that Tru2Way paves the way for much more advanced guides and applications. This box is much better than I-Guide makes it look.
post #119 of 387 Old 01-24-2009, 07:46 PM

I have asked this before on the Tahoe, but hoping for a miracle now that I have an Aspen. Is there any way to force L-PCM down conversion on all channels out the SPDIF and/or TOSLINK digital outs? I run a 2-channel system and would love to use my DAC.

Thanks again lindend for reaching out to the cable companies and their customers.
post #120 of 387 Old 01-25-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherafrica View Post

Is there any way to force L-PCM down conversion on all channels out the SPDIF and/or TOSLINK digital outs?

You can force HDMI to be PCM, but there is no equivalent for S/PDIF or Toslink via the Pace User Settings. Does your receiver have an HDMI input?

Linden
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page