Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 387 Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

We are aware of the issue you posted about (we actually replicated the issue before you posted). The issue is still under investigation so I can't provide a time frame when it will be addressed right now. If/when a fix is available, I will post here.

Any update on this? I have a Denon AVR-789 and have the exact same issue. Video will only passthrough after I unplug the Aspen and plug it back it again. If I switch sources on the Denon then I cannot get video again until I unplug the power and plug it back in again.

Since I got the Aspen specifically to connect to my home theatre system, I'm thinking of returning the box if this doesn't get fixed very shortly. I'll make sure to let Shaw know that this is a known problem with the Aspen and that it hasn't been fixed in months, despite the fact that Pace has known about and can duplicate the problem in their labs for 2 months now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 387 Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Zamrod. I'm still waiting as well. It's not a huge issue for me, since I have an older Motorola cable box on my home theater with the Denon 3808 that works fine, and my new Pace box is on a secondary TV, but I'd like to move the Pace box to the home theater where I record all my HD movies so I can take advantage of the DVR expander I bought for it.
post #183 of 387 Old 05-24-2009, 09:05 PM

Hey everyone! I'm using a Pace TDC787x from my cable provider and I'm having trouble with colors when using the composite outputs on the box.

I have a Panasonic projection HD TV, which does not have HDMI inputs. It has composite inputs and when I hook my DVD player up using the composite cables the colors on the screen are fine. When I use the composite cables with the Pace HD/DVR box the colors are completely screwy, yet when I use the S-video output the colors on the TV are just fine.

I've tried adjusting the colors as best as I can using the adjustments on the TV, but I just can't get the colors dialed in at all. The greens and blues are off the most noticeably, but the color in general is just a bit off all the way around.

I just purchased the HD service and don't have money for a new TV with HDMI inputs, so I really need to make this composite setup work. I have not found any way to adjust the colors through the Pace unit using the diagnostics menu. Does anyone have any idea of how I can correct this issue with the colors while using the composite cables???
post #184 of 387 Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrayson84 View Post

Hey everyone! I'm using a Pace TDC787x from my cable provider and I'm having trouble with colors when using the composite outputs on the box.

If S-Video comes out ok, then I don't think we've got a h/w issue.

Is there any possibility that you are connecting to one of the component outputs and not the composite output?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #185 of 387 Old 05-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

If S-Video comes out ok, then I don't think we've got a h/w issue.

Is there any possibility that you are connecting to one of the component outputs and not the composite output?

Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah I've double-checked and triple-checked all connections, and the component video cables are all in the right places on both ends, as are the component audio cables. Any other ideas?

I've been trying to get ahold of the technician that I was given a number to by my local provider, but I'm having a hell of a time getting ahold of him :/
post #186 of 387 Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrayson84 View Post

Any other ideas?

Unfortunately not. If you've ruled out the cables, the only other thing I can imagine is the jack is bad on the box. Have you tried toggling the cable to see if it helps/harms the image? If so, that might confirm a problematic connection.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #187 of 387 Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM

I have a Pace Aspen from Shaw cable here in Vancouver. The only way I can get the video portion of HDMI connection to work through my Denon AV receiver is to unplug and plugin the Pace unit, allow it to go through its boot up, then turn on the components in the recommended order (Receiver, Pace DVR, then TV [Sharp D65]). Done this way, the HDMI succesfully connects the video signal through the Receiver to the TV. However, when I switch away from the the Pace DVR to , say to my Blu-ray player... when I later return to HDTV, only the audio is passed to the receiver, no video on the TV at all. The only way to get it back is to repeat the "un-plug" procedure again.

I'm fairly certain this is an HDCP issue. Is there a possible firmware upgrade or any other strategy I might try to get the HDMI connection to work properly, and consistently? I'd rather not connect the DVR to the TV directly, with a seperate connect for audio to the Denon receiver.
post #188 of 387 Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Just in case someone else runs into this same situation I wanted to post. Hooking up to the Western Digital MyDVR worked fine, but at first didn't seem like it would. For me the DVR box reset and asked to format the WD MyDVR twice before it shut off totally. I powered it back up and it was perfectly fine and ready to go.
post #189 of 387 Old 06-07-2009, 03:13 PM

[quote=lindend;15574568]The SATA diagnostics page will report if the port is enabled.

I have also obtained a Pace DC700X and was wondering how to get to the SATA diagnostics page to see if the feature (external hard drive recording) is enabled. Can you provide instructions? I do not see anything in the Pace user manual about this. Thanks.
post #190 of 387 Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munga7 View Post

I have also obtained a Pace DC700X and was wondering how to get to the SATA diagnostics page

Choose the interface status page and then the SATA page.

Linden
post #191 of 387 Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Hello all. I have just moved to Anchorage, AK and picked up a Pace TDC787X from GCI. I currently have it connected to my Sony XBR240KDL with an HDMI cable. The picture looks great, but I am confused that the 480i channels (the standard definition digital stuff) is all being sent out of the cable box as a 16:9 signal. Is that the default for the pace box? When I was in Washington, I had a Motorola box and unless it was an HD channel, the box put out the 480i channels as 4:3.

Jeff
post #192 of 387 Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Linden,

Any word yet on the CC discrete codes yet?

Bill

~Bill
post #193 of 387 Old 06-17-2009, 12:51 PM

About 3 weeks ago I swapped my Motorola DVR for the Pace TDC787X at my cable company - Buckeye. I like the picture quality of the Pace over the Moto plus I prefer its black case. However, I have been experiencing the following 2 technical problems:

1) About 10% of the time when I exit from watching a recorded program (such as at the end when I hit delete or when I hit stop or exit) and it goes back to my list of recorded programs, it loses the TV signal. I can still access the Guide but the TV picture is black. This also happened once when I hit swap to change the tuners. The only way I found to restore the TV signal is to unplug the power cord and reset the unit.

2) When I play at the first Fast Forward speed - FF1 - I have noticed that most of the time it has been playing at a slow motion speed (about 2/3 of regular speed). Sometimes it will play more at normal speed and only rarely does it play at a speed faster than normal. (note: the other fast forward speeds work fine).

Any help or info about these problems would be appreciated. - thanks -

post #194 of 387 Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM

Sigh!! I had thought that after the most recent firmware updates (13.56), after putting my Pace Aspen (TDC776D) on an uninterruptable power supply, after scanning and reformatting the hard drive and resetting my unit that I might have no problems for a while. Not a chance! The Aspen has started to malfunction, again.

I tried to watch the 2 hour season finale of 24 that I had recorded a few weeks back and upon starting playback I was positioned to the end of the "2 hour" mark in pause mode, unable to play it.

Fortunately I had recorded this episode on my trusty old Panasonic HDD recorder too, but of course that wasn't in HD. I shouldn't have to record everything twice.

Prior to taking the aforementioned steps I used to have this problem a lot, with the Aspen's HDD above 80% full. This time the HDD was only 50 % full.

I now have four more programs (with the HDD at 95%) that won't play back, some as short a 1 hour, some as long as 3 hours. In all case the L+F flag is "Unknown" and the file length shows up as "some length {0}". All the programs that do play have the L+F flag as "0" and the file length shows up as "some length {some length}" All the programs were recorded off HD channels. All the programs are among the oldest on the HDD. From the oldest to more recent: 1.5 hours - unwatchable, 3 hours - unwatchable, 1 hour - watchable, 1 hour - unwatchable, 2.x hours - unwatchable, after that all are watchable. At least some of the programs had been watchable at one time, all the way through.

Can anyone help? I have the Shaw cable tech coming later today and may have the unit swapped out but will that help? Thanks.
post #195 of 387 Old 07-01-2009, 09:19 PM

Very similar problem I just had.. with 2 shows. Each show 1 hour long. The shows are both HD shows. Was approx 80% full... my wife has unfortunately deleted the offending shows so I can't get more info (Pace Aspen TDC776D, Shaw Cable, Calgary AB CA)

First show: if you play it it just sits at the end in pause with no picture whatsoever. If you try to start it from beginning, it's just black. Fast forward, reverse, etc., seem to have no discernible effect.

Second show: strange things happened. It recorded perfectly until minute 32... after minute 32, if you hit the skip forward button it goes back to minute 32, and while there is some video after minute 32 the timer doesn't say the video is progressing (always says minute 32). Worse yet, about 5 minutes after (definitely not the end of the show), video totally dies and it goes to the end, black screen, in pause mode, saying it was at hour 1.

I've never had this problem before, lots of hd recordings. We also have firmware 13.56. I can provide more info if desired. Not happy - it's one thing to have minor glitches, but when the pvr can't do the 'r' part reliably, it's not fun.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritiker View Post

Sigh!! I had thought that after the most recent firmware updates (13.56), after putting my Pace Aspen (TDC776D) on an uninterruptable power supply, after scanning and reformatting the hard drive and resetting my unit that I might have no problems for a while. Not a chance! The Aspen has started to malfunction, again.

I tried to watch the 2 hour season finale of 24 that I had recorded a few weeks back and upon starting playback I was positioned to the end of the "2 hour" mark in pause mode, unable to play it.

Fortunately I had recorded this episode on my trusty old Panasonic HDD recorder too, but of course that wasn't in HD. I shouldn't have to record everything twice.

Prior to taking the aforementioned steps I used to have this problem a lot, with the Aspen's HDD above 80% full. This time the HDD was only 50 % full.

I now have four more programs (with the HDD at 95%) that won't play back, some as short a 1 hour, some as long as 3 hours. In all case the L+F flag is "Unknown" and the file length shows up as "some length {0}". All the programs that do play have the L+F flag as "0" and the file length shows up as "some length {some length}" All the programs were recorded off HD channels. All the programs are among the oldest on the HDD. From the oldest to more recent: 1.5 hours - unwatchable, 3 hours - unwatchable, 1 hour - watchable, 1 hour - unwatchable, 2.x hours - unwatchable, after that all are watchable. At least some of the programs had been watchable at one time, all the way through.

Can anyone help? I have the Shaw cable tech coming later today and may have the unit swapped out but will that help? Thanks.

post #196 of 387 Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 AM

I am experiencing another issue with my Pace 787x. I noticed sometimes when I fast forward or rewind, the picture seems to keep jumping a little. It also happens sometimes when exiting the guide, it will do this to Live TV. I experienced this with the factory hard drive and also with my external. Usually exiting the program and going back in, if it's recorded, solves the problem. With live TV, usually rewinding a little and then hitting Live button, solves the problem. I had a couple of these boxes because of this issue, but my cable company, Service Electric Cablevision, is stating this is a problem that Pace would have to fix in a firmware update.
post #197 of 387 Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 AM

I did a quick search on the thread, but have not went through each page, so I apologize if this has been answered.

I was wondering if anyone knows what color range the Pace TDC787X outputs over HDMI? Is it 0-255 or 16-235? Thanks for any info.
post #198 of 387 Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Linden,

My Armstrong buddy emailed me to tell me that a couple Pace reps were here in the Pittsburgh area for the last few weeks working on the FW for Armstrong to hopefully correct some ongoing issues. I know you can't tell me what the fixes were until it's official - but I was wondering if you thought there was any chance of the CC discrete codes being included in this update.

I had an Armstrong tech out to replace both my 787's yesterday - he was shocked I wanted another 2 Pace boxxes rather than Motos! Anyway - the FW was supposedly being pushed out to my area around 3am this morning. I'd like to hear an update on what it was supposed to do when you can.

Bill

~Bill
post #199 of 387 Old 07-22-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

I know you can't tell me what the fixes were until it's official - but I was wondering if you thought there was any chance of the CC discrete codes being included in this update.

Let put it this way, I think you're wife will be happy with the captions situation.

Quote:

I'd like to hear an update on what it was supposed to do when you can.

Will do.

Linden
post #200 of 387 Old 07-22-2009, 01:59 PM

We've been having a lot of trouble with our Pace box locking up lately - hopefully the FW update will fix that as well. Any word if the update will allow the box to work with Denon 3808CI receivers? I'd really like to move the box from my living room to my home theater...
post #201 of 387 Old 07-22-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Prior to taking the aforementioned steps I used to have this problem a lot, with the Aspen's HDD above 80% full. This time the HDD was only 50% full.

More recently I had four more programs (with the HDD at 95%) that won't play back, some as short a 1 hour, some as long as 3 hours. In all case the L+F flag is "Unknown" and the file length shows up as "some length {0}". All the programs that do play have the L+F flag as "0" and the file length shows up as "some length {some length}" All the programs were recorded off HD channels. All the programs are among the oldest on the HDD. From the oldest to more recent: 1.5 hours - unwatchable, 3 hours - unwatchable, 1 hour - watchable, 1 hour - unwatchable, 2.x hours - unwatchable, after that all are watchable. At least some of the programs had been watchable at one time, all the way through.

Can anyone help? I ... may have the unit swapped out but will that help? Thanks.

Any thoughts Linden?
post #202 of 387 Old 08-04-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

*bumping* for discrete CC codes please!

~Bill
post #203 of 387 Old 08-06-2009, 06:50 PM

About to bring home a Pace Aspen, just curious are there complications to prevent exporting MPEG 4 recordings which have been saved on an external hard drive to a laptop ?
post #204 of 387 Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 AM

The recordings are encrypted, so you won't be able to export them.
post #205 of 387 Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

*bumping* for discrete CC codes please!

Sorry, Bill. I know I promised this to you a while back.

Two new discrete codes:
  1. CC: 0x2B
  2. Resolution change: 0x2F

Linden
post #206 of 387 Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I now have four more programs (with the HDD at 95%) that won't play back, some as short a 1 hour, some as long as 3 hours. In all case the L+F flag is "Unknown" and the file length shows up as "some length {0}".

If you see {0}, that file will never be playable again. Sorry for the bad news.

Linden
post #207 of 387 Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 PM

I have the Pace TDC787x from Mediacom, it's hooked up to a Sylvania 32" lcd tv via HDMI. The only complaint i have with the dvr is that anytime the power goes out or flickers because of a storm, I have to call the cable company and have them send a "hit" (their words not mine) to the box to get it to reset. The whole issue is, after power is back on, the box sends a unsupported format to the tv, which in turn prevents the tv from turning on. However if I pull the HDMI cable, tv works fine. last few times I've just called mediacom, and it all worked out ok. But it's starting to get annoying, is there a issue with this, or am I the only one getting this problem.

[EDIT] After going through this issue again today and cable company was of no help, I finally solved the issue by going into the user menu and telling the box that the tv doesn't support 480i and 480p....seems to have worked. Might go back in a bit and see if I can leave 480p on.....
post #208 of 387 Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:

If you see {0}, that file will never be playable again. Sorry for the bad news.

I realize that. I was hoping for some ideas as to what the problem was. How does a once-playable program become unplayable? Is it a physical hard disk problem, just an unreliable hard disk, or is it a logical file system problem? I have swapped the unit out and am now waiting to see if the replacement unit has this problem or not and what other problems it may exhibit. I have to decide, in a month or so, whether I buy the Aspen or switch to a Motorola box, or whether I rent for a while instead. Thanks for any insight.
post #209 of 387 Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, Bill. I know I promised this to you a while back.

Two new discrete codes:
  1. CC: 0x2B
  2. Resolution change: 0x2F

Linden,

Harmony support emailed me and said they need the "Pronto Hex codes". When I emailed their support to ask them to add these codes to my Harmony remote account - I told them exactly what you have typed above - but I'm guessing they're not understanding what I mean or the Pronto Hex Code is different from the discrete codes you gave me. Can you assist me with the info they need? I checked out the Remote Central Pronto Hex Code database and each Hex code there for various components looks pretty long vs. the simple discrete codes listed above.

~Bill
post #210 of 387 Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all,

I've got a Pace TDC776D on Shaw in Vancouver.

It seems to be applying some kind of post processing filter that is very apparent on standard definition content and slightly noticeable on HD content.
I think it's an attempt to smooth the picture, or reduce grain perhaps?

I would like to disable this -- does anyone know how?
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page