Pace MPEG-4 set top boxes (TDC787X) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 387 Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is for discussion of the TDC787X (aka Aspen), TDC776D (aka Aspen Embedded), DC700X (aka Apache), and DC758D (Summit or Baker).

Firmware release notes (when available) can be found here:

Online Manuals

The TDC787X (aka Aspen) uses removable conditional access (i.e. CableCARD) and is deployed in the United States. The TDC776D (aka Aspen Embedded) and DC758D (Summit) use embedded conditional access and is used by cable providers outside of the U.S.

DC700X (aka Apache) and DC758D (Summit or Baker) do not come with an internal HDD, but an eSATA drive may be attached to it to enable DVR functionality. Like Aspen, Apache uses removable conditional access.

FAQ:

1. How do I get into diagnostics?

To get to those diagnostics, press the power button, then press the select button within two seconds. To leave, press the power button.

2. What is the largest supported eSATA drive?

Older firmware releases will only recognize ~700GB. Larger drives will work, but only ~700GB will be recognized.

The latest maintenance release supports 1TB and larger drives.

3. Has Pace certified any eSATA drives?

Yes, the following drives have been tested and verified to function properly:
  1. Western Digital MyDVR Expander (WDG1S5000)
  2. Seagate DVR Expander (ST30500SCA109-RK)
  3. iOmega DVR (34172)

4. How can I format the internal or eSATA HDD?

While on the main diagnostics page (not the dashboard page), press

Repeat
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
LIVE

*MyDVR may be LIST on your remote depending on your cable provider

this will bring up a screen where you can select the drive to format and subsequently format the drive. After a few seconds, the box will reboot. After reboot, the drive will be available for use (the format is a two phase process so the initial format GUI may appear to be very quick).

Be aware that formatting the drive can't be undone and you will lose all the content on the drive. Do not use this screen unless absolutely necessary.

5. What are the discrete Power On/Off codes?
  • HEX 4A (0x4A) for Power On
  • HEX 4B (0x4B) for Power Off

6. Why is TV Guide indicating that my disk is not full when its definitely not full?

This is a bug in the guide. Most of the time, the only way to resolve it is to reboot your box. Sometimes (but very rarely) if you delete a recording, it may recover and get out of the error state.

7. How do I get into Pace User Settings?

Press the Power Button on the remote and then Menu. This will allow you to change a variety of settings. Press the Power button to return to live TV.

8. What is the PowerMenu?

It is the same as Pace User Settings (older name for the same function).

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 387 Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Does anybody have the specs for this unit? How big is the HD? How many tuners? Can it take an external Hard Drive? Etc.

Thanks,
Brenden
post #3 of 387 Old 08-01-2008, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brenden,

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenden67 View Post

How big is the HD?

160GB.

Quote:

How many tuners?

Quote:

Can it take an external Hard Drive?

Yes.

Basically, its very similar in many ways to the existing MPEG-2 boxes (778 and 779).

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #4 of 387 Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM

Hi I just installed a 787 from my cable company this week and I love it.
before that I had the 778. the reason I did the swap is that i tried to connect it (778) via an hdmi switcher to a hdmi to component converter. the reason being I have 4 units all with hdmi and component jacks. I have a tv with one component and no hdmi jacks. I had the converter connected to a blu ray player and everything worked fine. I hooked it and the cable box and a hddvd player to the switcher and the converter and all worked fine except the pace 778. that box apparently shut down and all I got was sound and a green screen. I restored it to a component out but there was still no picture. I am told that possibly it was hdcp kicking in. I don't know but I had to swap the box. My goal was to eliminate some clutter and some intermediate steps in my system.
I still want to do that and am considering a new a/v receiver with hdmi and component connectors. I would then connect the hd disk players via hdmi and the pace box via component and use the hdmi out on the receiver to the hdmi converter to go into the component connection on the tv.
you may ask why I just dont replace the tv. that would be ideal but this one is not that old and works superbly. it just predates hdmi by less than two years I think.
I have a zektor 5.1 audio switcher for the hddvd and bluray player to get hidef sound decoded. It also has hdmi inputs. I also have a component switcher which is what I was hoping to eliminate by going all hdmi and doing the hdmi to component conversion at the tv.
My question is:
Did I brick the 778 by my attempt to use the hdmi workaround? And if so will I do the same thing to the 787 if I try to go to an a/v receiver and use it to switch the component to hdmi and then back again at the tv?
My intentions are not to violate copyrights. I want to reduce switch clutter and get the full benefit of upconversion that comes with hd disk players, given the limits of my system. there is no benefit to using the cable box's hcmi, I know, but i must channel all four boxes down to one component. that is a given.
post #5 of 387 Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalelutz View Post

Hi I just installed a 787 from my cable company this week and I love it.

Out of curiosity, what are the features you like?

Quote:

I restored it to a component out but there was still no picture. I am told that possibly it was hdcp kicking in.

There is no HDCP over component so that can't be the issue.

Quote:

Did I brick the 778 by my attempt to use the hdmi workaround?

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you did, but I doubt you damaged the box. If the component isn't working, you either just have bad cables or a bad 778. Do you get video from the RCA or S-Video jacks on the 778?

I suppose its possible that the component switcher could have sent a surge and blown out the 778, but I've never heard of such a thing happening before.

Maybe it would be helpful if you drew a diagram of how you're trying to connect all this stuff together.

Linden
post #6 of 387 Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there a photo of this box anywhere? While I have Comcast, and they seem to be in bed with Motorola, I still like to follow what other manufacturers are doing.

Neighboring cable operator "Service Electric Cablevision" however does issue some Pace cable card HD-DVR's. There is a good chance of moving into their territory, as they are close and have a nice size footprint.
post #7 of 387 Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 PM

[quote=lindend;14444626]Out of curiosity, what are the features you like?

actually the features are pretty much the same, what i like are the cosmetics. the black box, the smaller size, the front panel. I did find it was easier to get into setup using the power and menu buttons. the rest seems identical but I haven't played with it that much.

what I did was to disconnect the pace box 778 from component and attach it via hdmi to a switcher. From the switcher I ran a hdmi cable to a small box that connected to the hdmi, performed the handshake, then converted the signal to component to allow it to connect to my tv. I did all this not for the sake of a better picture from the cable box, but because i had the bluray and hddvd player which will only upconvert through hdmi. Given that I have only one component hd connection on my tv I had to switch to hdmi on everything. it was at that point that i lost the picture on the pace 778. All I got was a green screen. Seeing that that apparently wouldn't work for the pace box I restored everything back to the original component connections, but the pace box still wouldn't send a picture. At that point I discussed the issue with some friends at the local tweeter store and they said that they run into this issue when they are doing installations. the cable boxes don't like to go through converters or switches that do conversions from hdmi to component. I don't know how accurate that is but I am left with not knowing if I can do the conversion using an A/v receiver.
I would draw a picture but I am not sure how in this forum. i realize it is a complicated setup, mainly owing to the movie industry and government imposing restrictions. My wife has warned me not to die because she wont be able to figure it out or fix it.
post #8 of 387 Old 08-15-2008, 03:36 PM

I just installed an Apricorn 1tb xpander hard drive on the pace 787. all went well, but the drive lists as 668 gig. Is there a limit to what the 787 will recognize or should I talk to apricorn?
post #9 of 387 Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just installed an Apricorn 1tb xpander hard drive on the pace 787. all went well, but the drive lists as 668 gig. Is there a limit to what the 787 will recognize or should I talk to apricorn?

The 787 has the same limitation that the 775, 778 and 779 have. No more than ~750GB is currently usable on an eSATA drive. This limitation has been discussed extensively on the Pace CableCARD boxes thread and also the 775 thread.

Linden
post #10 of 387 Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM

My cable company (Service Electric) recently changed me to this box (TDC787x) and hooked it up the same way as my previous box (do not have the previous model number). I have a Bose 321GSX audio system. When hooked up using the optical cable the audio drops when changing channels. So I need to either power cycle my Bose or simply change the audio input from TV to CBL/SAT to get the sound to pick-up. I've had the technicians here twice but they admit that they just got the box and really do not know why this is occuring - they basically said that no one uses the optical cable. If its hooked up with the RCA cables it works fine but I still need to change the input to get it to pick up the Dolby Digital signal. There are occassions when I change channels from a Dolby channel to another Dolby channel when the audio does not drop out - but it is rare.

Any ideas? I've gone through all of the settings and basically I am at a loss.
post #11 of 387 Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfield2 View Post

hooked it up the same way as my previous box

Did you have a Pace box previously?

Quote:

My cable company (Service Electric) recently changed me to this box (TDC787x) and hooked it up the same way as my previous box (do not have the previous model number). I have a Bose 321GSX audio system. When hooked up using the optical cable the audio drops when changing channels.

Does the drop out occur when you switch between PCM and Dolby Digital (or visa versa) or can it happen when its Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital?

If its happening on audio format switches, you can go to the Pace User Settings and force HDMI audio to be PCM. If that solves the problem, we can figure out what do next.

Linden
post #12 of 387 Old 08-17-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Did you have a Pace box previously?

Yes, my previous box was a Pace - but I do not remember the model number. My cable company just refered to it as the silver box. They actually called the new box the Aspen. The previous box was replaced because we had a lot of issues with the DVR (primarily audio dropping during playback and tiling). I cannot remember anything specific with the audio. All that I know is when the second technician came out to check my audio complaint the RCA cables were not plugged into the Bose.

Quote:

Does the drop out occur when you switch between PCM and Dolby Digital (or visa versa) or can it happen when its Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital?

It appears to happen at anytime when changing the channels. I have had some success changing between two Dolby channels and not losing the audio signal but not all the time. I spend most of my viewing time in the HD end - where all the channels are primarily Dolby. I would say that I lose audio more than I ever keep it.

Quote:

If its happening on audio format switches, you can go to the Pace User Settings and force HDMI audio to be PCM. If that solves the problem, we can figure out what do next.

The technician tried several settings. I just attempted to change the Audio Oput Mode: to L-PCM. And the Disable Auto Detect: to Yes and No. Both with the same result - no change to original complaint. Making this change causes the audio to drop immediatly and the forces me to change the inputs to the Bose to regain the sound.

I hope this helps gives more clarity to my issue - please let me know if you have any additional questions.
post #13 of 387 Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They actually called the new box the Aspen.

Aspen is the aka for this product (see the first post in this thread).

Quote:

The technician tried several settings. I just attempted to change the Audio Oput Mode: to L-PCM.

Actually, upon reflection, changing this setting isn't going to help you. It won't affect S/PDIF output, only HDMI. Sorry for asking you to try that option.

Quote:

And the Disable Auto Detect: to Yes and No.

Please don't change that setting. It won't help this issue and could be problematic in the future if you ever try to use HDMI.

Quote:

I hope this helps gives more clarity to my issue - please let me know if you have any additional questions.

I'm afraid I still don't fully understand the problem.

When the audio loss occurs, if you power cycle the receiver, is the audio restored?

Also, do you have an HDMI connection on your TV? If so, can you try it and see if you are experiencing the audio drop outs there too?

Linden
post #14 of 387 Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Actually, upon reflection, changing this setting isn't going to help you. It won't affect S/PDIF output, only HDMI. Sorry for asking you to try that option.

No worries, at this point I would try anything - except going back to my previous box.

Quote:

Please don't change that setting. It won't help this issue and could be problematic in the future if you ever try to use HDMI.

Got it - will not change this one!

Quote:

I'm afraid I still don't fully understand the problem.

Audio will drop out when changing between channels. The only possible exception is when going between Dolby Digitial channels but this is rare - even channels that have audio in Dolby will drop out and I can either power cycle the receiver or switch audio inputs on the receiver for it to pick back up.

Quote:

When the audio loss occurs, if you power cycle the receiver, is the audio restored?

Yes, audio is restored when the Bose unit is power cycled. However changing from CABLE/SAT (where the box is connected) to TV (hooked to nothing) and return will do the same thing.

Quote:

Also, do you have an HDMI connection on your TV? If so, can you try it and see if you are experiencing the audio drop outs there too?

Unfortunately, I do not have a HDMI connection on my TV. I am using a HDMI to DVI cable. I did consider changing to component but that would be crazy considering how much I spent on the cable.
post #15 of 387 Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, audio is restored when the Bose unit is power cycled. However changing from CABLE/SAT (where the box is connected) to TV (hooked to nothing) and return will do the same thing.

This input is for the Bose correct? So power cycling restores audio and switching inputs restores audio. By any chance, do you have (or can you borrow) another audio receiver?

The symptoms are sounding like an audio receiver issue dealing with the input stream and we could rule it out by using a different receiver. However, you indicated that the old Pace box worked with this config, which would tend to say it isn't an issue with the Bose. Very unusual problem.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I do not have a HDMI connection on my TV.

The reasons I was asking is that HDMI and S/PDIF typically get the same digital audio stream. If HDMI worked, that would point the finger at the receiver.

Linden
post #16 of 387 Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No worries, at this point I would try anything - except going back to my previous box.

BTW, have you tried a different optical cable? I've seen optical cables cause sound cut outs when they go bad.

Linden
post #17 of 387 Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:

The 787 has the same limitation that the 775, 778 and 779 have. No more than ~750GB is currently usable on an eSATA drive. This limitation has been discussed extensively on the Pace CableCARD boxes thread and also the 775 thread.

I have finally finished most of those threads. I am left with not knowing with any certainty which drive will work on the 787. I am thinking of trying the tivo mybook. I do hope that some of the sata issues with the older units have been addressed and this box is more tolerant.

Also, I have read of people using drives and connecting them directly to the pace box (without an enclosure???). If so how is power supplied to the drive. Or am I totally misreading the posts?

Lastly to simplify things with my setup let me try this:
If I connect the 787 to a pioneer or sony av receiver via component and then output via hdmi and reconvert to component at the tv will I run into hdcp issues?
again the reason I am looking at this is because I have hdmi and component players and only have one component input on the tv. I want the upconverting capability of the bluray players and of the new av receivers which is only available through hdmi but I do not want to eliminate my component only units.
Hope this helps.
post #18 of 387 Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have finally finished most of those threads. I am left with not knowing with any certainty which drive will work on the 787. I am thinking of trying the tivo mybook.

The Western Digital MyDVR Expander has been tested on the 787 and verified to work on the 11.05-11.14 firmware releases. In general, an eSATA-only drive will work without a problem. Its the combo eSATA/USB drives that are problematic.

Quote:

I do hope that some of the sata issues with the older units have been addressed and this box is more tolerant.

The issues that have been encountered are due to bugs in the combo drive's firmware (not the Pace boxes so there are no fixes in this area in the 787). When/if the drive firmware is fixed, they should work fine with any Pace cable box.

Quote:

Also, I have read of people using drives and connecting them directly to the pace box (without an enclosure???). If so how is power supplied to the drive. Or am I totally misreading the posts?

They are obtaining power from another source, not the set top box.

Quote:

Lastly to simplify things with my setup let me try this:
If I connect the 787 to a pioneer or sony av receiver via component and then output via hdmi and reconvert to component at the tv will I run into hdcp issues?

Not from the 787. If you use the component signal from the 787, there will be no HDCP errors.

Howevever, I can't tell you if your sony a/v receiver will or won't have HDCP issues with the tv since its sony hardware/software. Sorry.

Linden
post #19 of 387 Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:

The Western Digital MyDVR Expander has been tested on the 787 and verified to work on the 11.05-11.14 firmware releases. In general, an eSATA-only drive will work without a problem. Its the combo eSATA/USB drives that are problematic.

Howevever, I can't tell you if your sony a/v receiver will or won't have HDCP issues with the tv since its sony hardware/software. Sorry.

Thanks very much. I did get the wd mydvr from best buy today, and will try it this weekend.

I am leaning toward the Pioneer anyway. I have had pioneer receivers since 1967 and have had no problems. I see no reason to switch now. but Money will be a bigger factor than anything.

I would be interested in how some of the people do power bare drives if any are reading this.
post #20 of 387 Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM

I had a visit today from some higher level technicians and a local Pace engineer that was brought in to examine my situation. The good news is that they think they identified the problem - which was found in the Pace box. It appears that the audio refresh when changing channels was not quick enough and lagged even more on the HD channels which caused the audio to drop. They tested another "Aspen" in the local shop on a cheaper audio receiver with an optical input and it did not have the issue, but the Bose was less forgiving.

For now, they replaced my box with a newer (MUCH BIGGER) Motorola box until they can update the firmware to speed up the refresh time. At that time they will bring the Aspen back and see if it fixes my issue. The Motorola box did not have any issues when changing channels - which I was glad to see because at least it confirmed that I am not 100% crazy.

Thanks again for all your input and advice here. When I receive the working Pace box back I will report the results here. I am also excited about the external drive - which is not a possibility now with the Motorola - so I am looking forward to the return of my Pace box.
post #21 of 387 Old 08-25-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The good news is that they think they identified the problem - which was found in the Pace box. It appears that the audio refresh when changing channels was not quick enough and lagged even more on the HD channels which caused the audio to drop.

I'm afraid there's been a misunderstanding of the current state of this problem. What was verified was a valid signal was sent to the Bose in all cases, but there may be some timing differences between Aspen and other platforms in how quickly this information is given to the Bose (and the Bose is not reacting well to this difference).

Quote:

They tested another "Aspen" in the local shop on a cheaper audio receiver with an optical input and it did not have the issue, but the Bose was less forgiving.

You are correct in that many receivers (both low and high end) have been tested and verified and none are exhibiting the problem. We are not seeing any out of spec signals being transmitted in testing. We have nothing conclusive at this point, but the Bose still appears to be the cause of this particular problem.

A quick search reveals that Bose has similar issues with other devices:

Bose 321 audio dropout with Toshiba
Issues with Samsung

Quote:

The Motorola box did not have any issues when changing channels - which I was glad to see because at least it confirmed that I am not 100% crazy.

This is in fact puzzling. Our investigation continues, but wanted to make sure that you understand that we've not identified any fault in Aspen software to this point so a firmware fix is not on the immediate horizon. Sorry to have to break this disappointing news.

I will keep you posted as we find out more.

Linden
post #22 of 387 Old 09-12-2008, 03:59 PM

I have the 787 and a tivo external 500 g hdd attached esata.
the problem is this: a number of times now I have tried to record programs back to back on the hallmark hd channel and none recorded. two times I got the first one and not the second. I know both were set. I have recorded other shows and, when I went to watch them, all that was there was two seconds or four seconds of black screem and then the message to delete or not the program. this has happened a number of times. when this happens, I generally get an error that I cannot delete the program. I have successfully recorded many other shows some at the same time. I know it can work and it can work on back to back shows as well. But it only takes one failure to frustrate. there have been too many failures though.
"Blackbeard" was one of the programs on the hallmark channel that I tried to record. It was a part one and two 4 hours in all and i got 4 seconds of black screen. "The curse of king tuts tomb" was another where I got part one and not part 2.
there have been two times in which I would open the dvr screen and all the recorded shows indicated they were only 2-4 seconds long when I tried to play them. after shutting off the 787 and restarting it they were all there.
the status screen indicates that the external hdd is fine .
what am I doing or not doing.

9/13/8
it happened again last night
I started watching a special on history hd called 102 minutes that changed the world. I started taping that in the middle where I started watching it so i could finish the next day. then I saw that it was being repeated again later. I set that up to tape.
last night when I went to watch it, the one I started in the middle was fine. the second one told me that the recording was interrupted and some of the program might be lost. it was. the program indicated that only 30 minutes taped and in fact it ended after 4 minutes. we did not have any power failure and my home theater is on battery backup anyway. is this a cable box issue or a cable company issue?
post #23 of 387 Old 09-13-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the 787 and a tivo external 500 g hdd attached esata.
the problem is this: a number of times now I have tried to record programs back to back on the hallmark hd channel and none recorded.

Pretty sure this is a known problem, but let me confirm first. When this happens, do you see a OMP (One Moment Please) if you try to swap tuners or force a recording on the background tuner?

If you do see it, a fix is being tested in our labs and it is unrelated to eSATA, same bug can surface with the internal HDD.

Quote:

it was. the program indicated that only 30 minutes taped and in fact it ended after 4 minutes. we did not have any power failure and my home theater is on battery backup anyway. is this a cable box issue or a cable company issue?

This 4 minute recording sounds like a separate issue from completely missing a recording. When a recording is interrupted, it typically happens because the box rebooted. Do you know if the box rebooted in that time frame?

Linden
post #24 of 387 Old 09-14-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure this is a known problem, but let me confirm first. When this happens, do you see a OMP (One Moment Please) if you try to swap tuners or force a recording on the background tuner?

If you do see it, a fix is being tested in our labs and it is unrelated to eSATA, same bug can surface with the internal HDD.

This 4 minute recording sounds like a separate issue from completely missing a recording. When a recording is interrupted, it typically happens because the box rebooted. Do you know if the box rebooted in that time frame?

1. I recall seeing that message but I don't know that it was directly related to swapping tuners during recording. most of the time I am not watching when the recordings start.
2. Again I am usually in bed (i was for this one - 102 minutes.) when this happens so I don't know. I did have one program that recorded in two parts and the first part (27 min) said that the recording was interrupted. the second part (32 min) was the second recording. all i missed that time was in a commercial.

why would my box just reboot?
post #25 of 387 Old 09-14-2008, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. I recall seeing that message but I don't know that it was directly related to swapping tuners during recording. most of the time I am not watching when the recordings start.

Sounds like its likely that its the same bug then.

Quote:

why would my box just reboot?

Its a bug. Easiest way to find out if/when you see another interrupted recording is to look at the box uptime in diagnostics. With this info, we can try to figure out what is going wrong.

Linden
post #26 of 387 Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

9/13/8
it happened again last night

It turns out that you should already have a firmware release with the OMP fix. Have you had a completely missed recording since last Tuesday?

Edit: I've updated the TDC787X release note thread with the details on this fix and other fixes in the last software release.

Linden
post #27 of 387 Old 09-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:

It turns out that you should already have a firmware release with the OMP fix. Have you had a completely missed recording since last Tuesday?

Edit: I've updated the TDC787X release note thread with the details on this fix and other fixes in the last software release.

I don't think I've missed any lately but I'm not sure. the partial ones are still around though. I had another chance to tape 102 minutes last night (sunday)and it looks like that went well.
thanks
post #28 of 387 Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 PM

it's been a couple of days now and I have recorded a number of shows including back to back and som on both tuners at the same time. all of them seem to have recorded perfectly.
thanks, things are good again
post #29 of 387 Old 10-10-2008, 01:28 PM

I have noticed a number of times lately where a recording will start on time, record for one minute, and then stop and start again in a few minutes. the last time I was watching something else and noticed that the pacebox was off and should have been recording. I turned the box on and it started recording without me doing anything else. I had lost about 12 minutes. the first minute was there as well as the remaining 48 in two recordings.

another issue; I am old enough that I have some hearing problems, and so I have turned on closed captioning, but I noticed that on many programs only half of the dialog shows up. often times I can see it flash on the screen for what seems like less than a second and then the next lines appear. i recognize that live tv closed caption is delayed and sometimes incomplete. But this is happening on pre recorded shows, like law and order, criminal minds etc. the only times it seems to work right are for older movies who would (I assume) have subtitles built in. is this the box or the cable provider?
Thanks
post #30 of 387 Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dale,

Quote:

is this the box or the cable provider?

Can you supply some more details please?
  1. What video output are you viewing the captions (HDMI, Component or analog SD outputs)?
  2. Are you letting the TV render the captions or the 787?
  3. What channel(s) are you seeing this behavior?

Linden
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page