DirecTV & TiVo to offer new HD DVR in 2009! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Breaking News...
DirecTV and TiVo are finally teaming up to bring us an MPEG4 DirecTiVo. Looks like we will have to wait until "second quarter of 2009", but I think it will be worth it. Too long have I suffered with the HR21.

The question is, will it be an entirely new box or an interface update? Here is a link...

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/art....jsp?id=504621
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 404
It's about time. It's nice to see there really are some bright lights at DirecTV. I always thought with Liberty's ownership of DirecTV it would only be a matter of time and that time has come.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 AM

I am afraid to ask what it will cost. However, if I can get the multiroom viewing or home media option or whatever they call the option to network the units and watch something recorded on another unit on nay unit I will be happy and my units now will be out the window. Having those options would save me from having to buy a $2k+ distribution unit.
post #4 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post

I am afraid to ask what it will cost. However, if I can get the multiroom viewing or home media option or whatever they call the option to network the units and watch something recorded on another unit on nay unit I will be happy and my units now will be out the window. Having those options would save me from having to buy a $2k+ distribution unit.

Wasn't multi-room viewing suppose to be enabled by now?

Not to mention PBS HD locals and such?

At DBSTalk, there's speculation that they're announcing this a year ahead because a lot of people who signed 2-year contracts for HD20s are coming due now and they want to have reasons for people to stay on D*.

I'm in that boat and if there's a whiff of higher DVR and subscriber fees, I don't see great reasons to stay with D*.
post #5 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This is great news. Although my HR21-700 has been better than my local cable companies offerings in the past, it is still poor.
Thanks for the heads up stealth3639
post #6 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Wasn't multi-room viewing suppose to be enabled by now?

Not to mention PBS HD locals and such?

Supposed to.

I think you can get a national PBS feed in HD? Dunno, I never watch it and we don't have a local PBS channel in my area.
post #7 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Press Release

DIRECTV and TiVo to Launch New HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Service

Sept 03, 2008

DIRECTV, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTV), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, and TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVR), announced today that they have extended their current agreement, which includes the development, marketing and distribution of a new HD DIRECTV DVR featuring the TiVo(R) service, as well as the extension of mutual intellectual property arrangements.

Under the terms of the non-exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVo(R) service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform. The product will support the latest TiVo and DIRECTV features and services, including TiVo's Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone. TiVo will develop the new HD DVR for an expected launch in the second half of 2009.

DIRECTV will continue to develop and offer its own portfolio of industry leading set top boxes as primary offerings to both new and existing customers. This new TiVo box will be offered as an alternative choice to those DIRECTV customers who would like to add TiVo to a full line up of DIRECTV services.

"We have had a very successful history with DIRECTV. Together we brought the TiVo experience to millions of DIRECTV customers and now we look forward to launching a next generation product that uses TiVo's latest features to truly showcase DIRECTV's broad selection of high-definition programming -- all stitched together with the elegance of TiVo's renowned user experience," said Tom Rogers, TiVo's CEO and president. "This agreement demonstrates our continued embrace of mass distribution opportunities in cooperation with major multichannel operators who recognize the value of giving their customers a choice of compelling user experiences."

Like prior products developed by TiVo and DIRECTV, the new HD offering will be marketed and sold by DIRECTV nationally to its entire customer base as part of its growing portfolio of brand name video offerings. Specific consumer pricing and packaging will be announced in conjunction with DIRECTV's launch of the product.

"As the industry's content and technology leader, DIRECTV has a long-standing reputation for developing innovative, advanced products and services, including our highly successful series of DVRs and HD DVRs," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "We will continue to work with TiVo and make this new product available to all new and existing DIRECTV customers who may want to add TiVo on top of our industry leading experience."

DIRECTV and TiVo began their relationship in 2000 with the launch of the first DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service. In April 2006, the companies announced an extension of their commercial and advertising relationship and those commercial and advertising capabilities are further extended, and now include the new HD platform. DIRECTV and TiVo also recently deployed a software update to existing DIRECTV with TiVo boxes, which enables new features like DIRECTV's Remote Booking.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Excerpted From Multichannel News

Quote:

DirecTV To Offer TiVo HD Service
DBS Operator Also Extends Intellectual Property Licensing Deal
By Todd Spangler

Three years after DirecTV stopped offering TiVo digital video recorders, the satellite operator has struck a new deal with TiVo to develop a new HD DVR as a high-end option for subscribers.

Financial terms of the deal, announced Wednesday, were not disclosed. The companies said the agreement, effective until at least February 2015, included the extension of mutual intellectual property arrangements.

Under the nonexclusive pact, DirecTV and TiVo will work together to develop a broadband-enabled HD DVR service, slated to launch in the second half of 2009. The product will support the latest TiVo and DirecTV features and services, including TiVo's Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone.

DirecTV said it will continue to develop and offer its own set-top boxes as primary offerings to both new and existing customers, and that the new TiVo box will be offered as "an alternative choice" to customers.

DirecTV launched a TiVo-based DVR in 2000, but five years later said it would market its own DVR developed by NDS Group instead.

As a result, the number of DirecTV customers that still have a TiVo DVR has steadily dropped. TiVo, for the quarter ended July 31, reported a net decline in MSOs/broadcaster subscriptions during the period, dropping to 1.9 million from 2.5 million a year ago.

In April 2006, the companies announced an extension of their commercial and advertising relationship. DirecTV and TiVo also recently deployed a software update to existing DirecTV with TiVo boxes, which enables new features like remote DVR scheduling.

For TiVo, selling DVR boxes and service through cable and satellite operators is a key survival strategy. The DVR pioneer has deals with Comcast and Cox Communications, which are rolling out TiVo-based services to their customers.

The new HD DVR will be marketed and sold by DirecTV nationally to its entire customer base. Consumer pricing and packaging has yet to be announced.

The updated agreement between DirecTV and TiVo extends the expiration date from Feb. 15, 2010, to Feb. 15, 2015, with DirecTV having the right to extend further until Feb. 15, 2018, according to a TiVo 8-K filing Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

TiVo said in the filing that DirecTV will pay "a substantially higher monthly fee" for households using the new HD DVRs with TiVo than the fees for the satellite operator's previously deployed TiVo-based DVRs. The fees paid by DirecTV are subject to monthly minimum payments that escalate during the term of the agreement starting in 2010, according to TiVo.

In addition, TiVo said, under the new agreement, each company has agreed to not assert its patents against the other party with respect to products and services deployed prior to the expiration of the agreement.

DirecTV also is entitled to "most favored customer" terms compared with other multichannel video distributors in the United States to whom TiVo grants a license to distribute certain TiVo technology in the future, according to TiVo's 8-K filing.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good news, I hope, because DirecTVs HD DVR is one huge steaming pile of crapola.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Finally, my time with Comcast is nearing an end.
post #10 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

<<snipped>>

I'm in that boat and if there's a whiff of higher DVR and subscriber fees, I don't see great reasons to stay with D*.

You must not be a rabid sports fan that subscribes to Sunday Ticket. ST subs are at the mercy of D* to get their sports fix. It's like having only one heroin dealer in your town. You do anything to get it.
post #11 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis View Post

Good news, I hope, because DirecTVs HD DVR is one huge steaming pile of crapola.

You can say that again, and again, and again...
post #12 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

You must not be a rabid sports fan that subscribes to Sunday Ticket. ST subs are at the mercy of D* to get their sports fix. It's like having only one heroin dealer in your town. You do anything to get it.

I like NFL plenty but I see my team's games without subscribing to ST, which is a ripoff.

You can see about half a dozen NFL games each week without subscribing to it.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
And many more than that if you do a little digging and don't mind a grab-bag of games with uneven video quality.

Sopcast, TVUPlayer
post #14 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 02:32 AM

Well, looks like I'll be stuck with Comcast for another year, but there is hope.
I loved Dtv, but dumped it when I went HD because of the lack of a real Tivo. I told them that when they called me 4 times asking why I left.
I've put off getting a TivoHD because of the cable company SDV games, but the Comcast turd of a DVR is killing me.
I wish this was happening sooner than mid-2009, but at least there is hope.
post #15 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Actually from what I've read, this was a deal that benefits both parties. Tivo, with its eroding customer base, needed something to boost sales. On the other hand, Tivo assured D* it would not pursue litigation against them as they did with Dish if this deal was consumated. Kind of a 'one hand washes the other' deal.
post #16 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Yea!!!
post #17 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 AM

Most excellent news
post #18 of 33 Old 09-07-2008, 12:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Tivo now has deals with Comcast and DirecTV....

Now all they need is to get boxes rolled out to people...

But on a much more personal note... Hallelujah! This is downright fantastic news, especially with the smashing of any hope for DirecTV-on-MediaCenter for the foreseeable future.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #19 of 33 Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah whatever happened to the Media Center thing?

Also, another feature Tivo needs to steal from HR2X is the RF remote.
post #20 of 33 Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 PM

This is definitely good news considering the move I was hoping to make to U-verse isn't looking so good (PQ wise) anymore.

Now I just wonder how long I'll be able to use my HR10-250?

ck
post #21 of 33 Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 AM

I talked to DTV today and they told me that since my account is so old when this new TiVo comes out I can just request one for free again. No charge and no rental either. So I am stoked! They also said it would be sometime in the first quarter but from what I found online its reported as late 09. Does anyone know if they bumped the release up?
post #22 of 33 Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

You would think they'd have shown something at CES. Didn't they used to do that?
post #23 of 33 Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxrd55 View Post

I talked to DTV today and they told me that since my account is so old when this new TiVo comes out I can just request one for free again. No charge and no rental either. So I am stoked! They also said it would be sometime in the first quarter but from what I found online its reported as late 09. Does anyone know if they bumped the release up?

I seem to recall reading over in the D* HDTivo forum that it slipped into 2010. Not entirely unexepected.
post #24 of 33 Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxrd55 View Post

You were almost certainly given incorrect information about everything. The CSRs know nothing about what the commercial arangements will be for this box, and are certainly in no position to tell you that you will get one free. And as has been posted, the product has slipped into 2010 with no idea when in 2010 it will be.
post #25 of 33 Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

You would think they'd have shown something at CES. Didn't they used to do that?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is DirecTV wasn't at CES this year.

Peace,

DM
post #26 of 33 Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

.... And as has been posted, the product has slipped into 2010 with no idea when in 2010 it will be.

Is this fact? That really sucks. A day doesn't go by when I don't curse my 21. The two standard-def Tivo's we've had worked well, were reliable, the menuing and OS were logical and just worked. And the remotes are a study in ergonomics.

The remote on the 21 is the most awkward thing I've ever used, the menus are hard to navigate, you can never return directly to the same folder you're in, and half the HD channels are out of sync. Plus my local CBS affilliate (Chicago) has constant audio and video glitches.

And it locks up at least once a week.

This POS is like a beta device that should still be in the lab for testing, not in my house while I pay a monthly fee for it.
post #27 of 33 Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

You were almost certainly given incorrect information about everything. The CSRs know nothing about what the commercial arangements will be for this box, and are certainly in no position to tell you that you will get one free. And as has been posted, the product has slipped into 2010 with no idea when in 2010 it will be.

That sucks if it really is going to be 2010. But as for it being free I don't see why not. I have received 4 HD DVR's over the past few years and never paid a penny for them with no lease. Hell I am paying $29 a month for all regular and HD channels HBO, Stars, and ShowTime. Every time I call and say cancel my account they keep lowering the price and give me more channels and receivers. I only have 1 TV but had 4 HD DVRs and 2 regular receivers that all went the way of ebay but one HD DVR. I guess I wont see if this new one is free also for some thime now.

Edit: I was also talking to the customer retention department not a CSR because yes they cant go to the bathroom with out permission!
post #28 of 33 Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraun View Post

Plus my local CBS affilliate (Chicago) has constant audio and video glitches.

This is technically a glitch with the local Chicago station (WBBM). They are running under powered and DirecTV receives them via OTA instead of fiber. CBS 2 will be moving from VHF to UHF and being higher powered once the digital transition happens, space in UHF will be available.

WBBM digital is currently VHF pushing only 4.4 kW which is pathetic. Thus the occasional dropouts. Hopefully they will not delay the transition yet again because that would most likely push it to 2010.
post #29 of 33 Old 03-29-2009, 05:15 PM

Are there any updates on timing for new DirecTV Tivo ?

ANy updates on features ? I am waiting till this arrives before I sign up as I do not want to be jerked around to pay for an upgraded DVR
post #30 of 33 Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtarr View Post

Are there any updates on timing for new DirecTV Tivo ?

ANy updates on features ? I am waiting till this arrives before I sign up as I do not want to be jerked around to pay for an upgraded DVR

Nothing at all. Just speculation.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page