No D-Theater at CES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-09-2002, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spent about 7 hours at CES yesterday and to my surprise I could not find JVC at all. I was told that they do not have floor space this year, and neither did Sony.

Very disapointing. I don't think I am going to any more CES shows.

Bernhard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-09-2002, 08:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
There is a NEC XT5000DC digital projector 3 chip dlp 5000 lumens ( DC offers true black without using a black chip) coupled to a Teranex on a 15 foot screen feed by a sdi dvd player at the AVS dinner party.

Im sure we will hear about this.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2002, 10:27 PM
PVR

Someone claims to have found JVC (and D-Theater):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=106288
post #4 of 10 Old 01-10-2002, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
Someone claims to have found JVC (and D-Theater):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=106288

I think if JVC was serious about marketing D-Theater they would show off their products on the main exhibit floor instead of hiding them in a back room.

Bernhard
post #5 of 10 Old 01-10-2002, 10:00 PM

Yep, I saw their HDTV demo.

They were feeding a $75,000 (ok, $85,000 with lens) 1365x1024 theatrical projector with a DH30000. Looked great!

It would be hard (not impossible, though) to have effectively mounted such a demo on the show floor, as they would have had to build an acoustically isolated room. It was hard to find, though!

Peter
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2002, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peterd
Yep, I saw their HDTV demo.

They were feeding a $75,000 (ok, $85,000 with lens) 1365x1024 theatrical projector with a DH30000. Looked great!

It would be hard (not impossible, though) to have effectively mounted such a demo on the show floor, as they would have had to build an acoustically isolated room. It was hard to find, though!
Did you ask them about the freeze problem? Did they indicate when or if prerecorded tapes would be coming to market?

Bernhard
post #7 of 10 Old 01-12-2002, 12:00 AM

Todd asked them about the freeze problem & the audio dropouts. All they would say was that they are aware of the problems and are working on them.

I asked about the pre-recorded tapes, but they had no release dates. It is apparent, though, that any JVC titles will not play on the Mitsubishi deck. D-Theater compliance is not a requirement of the DVHS spec, and Mits has not signed up to support it. On the other hand, any titles released by JVC will (as with the demo tape for the US DH-30000) require a D-Theater deck.

Peter
post #8 of 10 Old 01-12-2002, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Bernhard-

Too late now, but thanks to Todd Mitchell I had a chance to visit their theater. It was in room 107, next to Sony's room demoing their car stereo stuff.

I'm glad I did get an opportunity to see it because I formed an opinion that the DILA, model 5000 projector was not as spectacular as I recall from last years JVC demo. I think it is because the LCD and D LP's from other companies just got so much better.

Why was I disappointed in the DILA-
The main reason was that the JVC DILA picture appeard to have a convergence issue. Every white edge against color had a red and blue border. on opposite sides. The Whites were clipped on some of the images and the blacks were just a bit washed.

Frankly, the Texas Instrument digital theater (DLP)demo ran rings around the JVC. I also saw many DLP FPTV systems and even a few LCD's that looked better than the JVC DILA. I don't understand this because last year I was so impressed with DILA I would have bought one if the cash were in my pocket.

So, bernhard, if you missed it, don't fret. Something wasn't quite right and I was truely dissipointed in their effort. The DVHS playbacks did look OK but it was the projector image that was disappointing.

There was a runco projector demo that was using DVHS PDHD1000 but it was crammed into an enclosed equipment cabinet and was overheating causing the picture to have severe dropouts. They were forcing air on it to cool the deck and tuner off but by the picturte appearance, it looked more like the dropouts on a bad recording than the {sparkle} heat up problem. Green blockiness etc.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-12-2002, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987
I spent about 7 hours at CES yesterday and to my surprise I could not find JVC at all. I was told that they do not have floor space this year, and neither did Sony.

Very disapointing. I don't think I am going to any more CES shows.

Bernhard

Thanks Sommers
post #10 of 10 Old 01-12-2002, 09:46 AM

I'm a Rep in the business and was at CES for business all week.
Not showing on the floor is becoming more and more common for the "big hitters" including JVC etc---it's purely business, boys. They are strong enough to get the "big hitters" (Best Buy etc) to come to them whether they are off site at a hotel or in one of the myriad of meetring rooms strewn around the Show.
The quality of Exhibitors continues to go down as years roll by. The decision to be on the floor or not is mainly a marketing/publicity thing.
FYI Sommers

Thanks Sommers
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page