Verizon QIP7216 DVR - Master Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since Verizon started rolling out the new QIP7216 DVR to replace the QIP6416 DVR, we should have a discussion thread... here it is.

I just signed up for FIOS and this is the DR that they gave me. Over the next few days, I will post information that I have found available about the DVR in the next post (which I will reserve). I'll also try to compile a FAQ and add it to that post.

Hopefully, this thread will be useful to folks that have the QIP7216.

-steve

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved for upcoming FAQ and QIP7216 information links.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Liked: 10
I just signed up about 2 weeks ago and they gave me the old 6416 boxes, would have liked to get the latest 7216 instead.

To anyone who has had both, please post any differences you may notice between the 2 (good and bad).
post #4 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Here's a link to Motorola's description of the box:

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-.../QIP7216_US-EN

-Andy
post #5 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Here is a summary if the features listed:

QIP6416
  • Dual 64/256 QAM tuners support standard and high definition MPEG-2 formats
  • Integrated 160 GB hard drive for DVR functionality
  • Embedded IP networking over coaxial cable using MoCA technology
  • Two-way IP data communication
  • Powerful (MIPS) RISC processor
  • Out-of-band data receiver
  • Full range of industry-standard video, audio, anddata outputs (for details, see Specifications)
  • Dolby® 5.1 digital audio
  • Decrypts CSA or DESMediaCipher® access control
  • Macrovision® copy protection
  • Front-panel LED display with navigation buttons
  • Digital on-screen diagnostics
  • SmartCard interface
  • Switched accessory outlet

QIP7216
  • Component video (Y Pb Pr), IEEE 1394, HDMI
  • S-Video, composite video, channel 3 and 4 RF remod
  • Left/right baseband, optical and coaxial S/PDIF
  • 160GB hard drive 64/256 QAM dual tuner supports standard- and high-definition MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 formats
  • Full range of industry-standard video, audio, and data outputs (for details, see Specifications)
  • Dolby® 5.1 and 7.1 digital audio
  • CableCard interface
post #6 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 576
So what would be run with 7.1 DD? Every HD VOD title I watch from FIOS is only DD2.0

And why do they still use such a small hard drive? That would have been fine in the early 2000's(I switched between two 80GB drives for my HD recordings(from my HiPix HD ATSC tuner cards) between 2001 and 2004)
But now all my HDTiVos have either 1TB drives or 750GB drives and those aren't large enough. 160GB wouldn't last me more than 4 days during the regular TV season.

Also is there a newer HD STB too? I use the FIOS HD STB for my HD VOD from FIOS. It is nowhere near the best designed box and software.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 PM

The hard drive size is the biggest issue I have with FIOS. Let us use the eSATA port for heavens sake.

I only use the DVR for recording shows I need in HD, for everything else I use a PC with Beyond TV and a 750GB (300+ Hour) drive.
post #8 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

That's why a large hard drive is important. back in 2001, 50% of what I watched was in HD. Now it's around 95%.

LED DLP

post #9 of 166 Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If I am reading the other threads correctly, its Motorola that does not have the drivers for the eSata for any Motorola STB, FiOS, Comcast or whoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So what would be run with 7.1 DD? Every HD VOD title I watch from FIOS is only DD2.0

There are some reports on avs of some titles showing up on the premium channels in 7.1

Quote:

And why do they still use such a small hard drive? That would have been fine in the early 2000's(I switched between two 80GB drives for my HD recordings(from my HiPix HD ATSC tuner cards) between 2001 and 2004)
But now all my HDTiVos have either 1TB drives or 750GB drives and those aren't large enough. 160GB wouldn't last me more than 4 days during the regular TV season.

I don't disagree, but the SA8300HD still has a 160GB Hard Driver Standard as well. I am sure its all about cost.

Quote:

Also is there a newer HD STB too? I use the FIOS HD STB for my HD VOD from FIOS. It is nowhere near the best designed box and software.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I was told that FiOS was moving towards 1 Box for everything. Just as the MultiRoom DVR is a software switch that is flipped, the same would be true of HD and the DVR.

Thus when someone buys a HDTV to replace a SDTV, you would just call and they would send a signal to the box to open up the HD Channels/Output. You want to make the box a DVR, another signal is sent to allow you to start time shifting, etc.

Also makes inventory easy (as well as costs) as the trucks only need 1 type of STB instead of 3 (SD/HD/DVR) on the truck.
post #10 of 166 Old 09-19-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

I guess I need to keep my current HD STB then.

LED DLP

post #11 of 166 Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzner View Post

Here is a summary if the features listed:

QIP6416
  • Dual 64/256 QAM tuners support standard and high definition MPEG-2 formats
  • Integrated 160 GB hard drive for DVR functionality
  • Full range of industry-standard video, audio, anddata outputs (for details, see Specifications)
  • Dolby® 5.1 digital audio
  • Decrypts CSA or DESMediaCipher® access control
  • SmartCard interface

QIP7216
  • Component video (Y Pb Pr), IEEE 1394, HDMI
  • S-Video, composite video, channel 3 and 4 RF remod
  • Left/right baseband, optical and coaxial S/PDIF
  • 160GB hard drive 64/256 QAM dual tuner supports standard- and high-definition MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 formats
  • Full range of industry-standard video, audio, and data outputs (for details, see Specifications)
  • Dolby® 5.1 and 7.1 digital audio
  • CableCard interface

I am getting Fios here in the Seattle area next month...I will definitely ask for the new box...I too want to know about 7.1 sound, can you elaborate? Thanks
post #12 of 166 Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

7.1 will be encoded with Dolby Digital Plus compression. These new boxes support DD+. (It's really a DD5.1 core with 2 additional channels for DD+ capable receivers)
post #13 of 166 Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 AM

I have the 6416 box and it has this very annoying bug:

If you pause the DVR, after 30 minutes it automatically unpauses and goes straight to LIVE tv - NOT to the location where you originally paused it.

As you can imagine, this is not good for watching any show in sequence (and especially bad for live sports).

Does the 7216 do this as well?? (If not, I'm going to ask for my box to be switched.)

Thanks!!
post #14 of 166 Old 09-20-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

7.1 will be encoded with Dolby Digital Plus compression. These new boxes support DD+. (It's really a DD5.1 core with 2 additional channels for DD+ capable receivers)

Any idea with the HDMI out to a receiver, will there be capability to get say True Dolby and DTS Master with firmware now or down the road? Thanks
post #15 of 166 Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer777 View Post

I have the 6416 box and it has this very annoying bug:

If you pause the DVR, after 30 minutes it automatically unpauses and goes straight to LIVE tv - NOT to the location where you originally paused it.

As you can imagine, this is not good for watching any show in sequence (and especially bad for live sports).

Does the 7216 do this as well?? (If not, I'm going to ask for my box to be switched.)

Thanks!!

Yes the 7216 does this as well. I just got installed on Saturday and I had Hero's paused while I was helping my son with some home work last night and after a while it unpaused and went to live TV.
post #16 of 166 Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izub View Post

Any idea with the HDMI out to a receiver, will there be capability to get say True Dolby and DTS Master with firmware now or down the road? Thanks

The 7216 will not decode TruHD or DTS-MA. This would require a hardware upgrade. It cannot be done with FW, in the existing HW.

It's irrelevant, though. None of the broadcasters are delivering that audio content and as far as I know - there are no immediate plans to do so.

-steve
post #17 of 166 Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamps View Post

The hard drive size is the biggest issue I have with FIOS.

I read somewhere that installing a larger drive yourself won't help either. Apparently it simply formats 160 GB of whatever drive you install. Anyone know if that's true?
post #18 of 166 Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had any luck getting the 6416 swapped out for the 7216 without having to have a tech come out? I just got off the phone w/verizon and I swear they dont know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. The lady kept telling me i have the old SD DVR and I told her no...I have the 6416 HD DVR. She told me that she can send the new HD DVR but it would be $3.00 more per month. Tech support said they could send out a tech but they could still bring a 6416.
post #19 of 166 Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

The 7216 will not decode TruHD or DTS-MA. This would require a hardware upgrade. It cannot be done with FW, in the existing HW.

It's irrelevant, though. None of the broadcasters are delivering that audio content and as far as I know - there are no immediate plans to do so.

Thanks for that info...but it has 7.1 capabilities for DD+ correct? I take it I'd need a receiver with HDMI...right now I get Bluray through my analogue outs, so not sure I want to spend $$$ on an upgrade...Is it worth a new receiver just for the possibility of a few movies being in 7.1 (and not True Dolby or DTS Master at that)???
post #20 of 166 Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 AM

Hello all,

I am a new member here.

I just got the QIP 6200 from Verizon. The next day I see a promo for the DVR free for a year, so I may call back for an upgrade.

In any case, I am interested in how to achieve proper surround for all devices. Any new HDTV has only SPDIF or stereo outs, no 6 channel analog. Same for the QIP boxes apparently. I have a non-decoding receiver, but a nice one, so do not wish to upgrade this yet. My DVD does do DD and DTS and does have 6 channel analog outs, which I use. A blue ray may also have analog outs.

So, this leaves only broadcast thru the STB as needing decoding. I am looking at a used standalone DD AC3 decoder, but it has no DTS.

Is there any reason to have DTS for broadcast?

What are the most common broadcast audio formats?

Thanks for any answers!
post #21 of 166 Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEF~REF~3 View Post

In any case, I am interested in how to achieve proper surround for all devices. Any new HDTV has only SPDIF or stereo outs, no 6 channel analog. Same for the QIP boxes apparently.

Yes, this is normal. They only decode DD 5.1 so they can downmix to 2channel, they don't break out to 5.1 channels. That is generally subsumed into your AV receiver these days.

Quote:

So, this leaves only broadcast thru the STB as needing decoding. I am looking at a used standalone DD AC3 decoder, but it has no DTS.

Is there any reason to have DTS for broadcast?

No.

Quote:

What are the most common broadcast audio formats?

For ATSC digital TV, and all current digital cable, only Dolby Digital is used, though the channel configuration varies. Supposedly some cable systems will be using DD+ for better quality multichannel audio (particularly with some PPV content), but you won't be able to get a DD+ bitstream via coax or optical. The medium doesn't have sufficient bandwidth - you'd have to go to HDMI 1.3-ready equipment to be able to handle DD+. However, as DD+ is an enhancement of DD, the core bitstream will still be available via coax or optical, just not with any of the enhancements that DD+ affords.
post #22 of 166 Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM

The 7.1 Audio capability may not be of much use but the MPEG-4 could be more interesting. There is the potential to use this as a Hard Drive space saving feature. For example the STB could transcode the stored programs from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 while not in use and save perhaps 50% of the used space. But don't hold your breath
post #23 of 166 Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 AM

From what I heard from tech support today, the QIP7216 does not enable storage expansion. I also understand that they are not shipping these units in bulk until Jan'09.
post #24 of 166 Old 10-07-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzner View Post

The 7.1 Audio capability may not be of much use but the MPEG-4 could be more interesting. There is the potential to use this as a Hard Drive space saving feature. For example the STB could transcode the stored programs from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 while not in use and save perhaps 50% of the used space. But don't hold your breath

It would make sense to have more storage space than to mess around with any transcoding.

LED DLP

post #25 of 166 Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

...Supposedly some cable systems will be using DD+ for better quality multichannel audio (particularly with some PPV content), but you won't be able to get a DD+ bitstream via coax or optical. The medium doesn't have sufficient bandwidth - you'd have to go to HDMI 1.3-ready equipment to be able to handle DD+. However, as DD+ is an enhancement of DD, the core bitstream will still be available via coax or optical, just not with any of the enhancements that DD+ affords.

DD+ can be variable bitrates. Like 640kbs and lower.
Just because DD+ is used doesn't mean it will have a higher bitrate than DD.

LED DLP

post #26 of 166 Old 10-15-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamps View Post

The hard drive size is the biggest issue I have with FIOS.

amen. When I signed up in August they said that by January they will have a new lineup of DVR's with higher storage capacities. BS or were they overselling the 7216? The massive new lineup of HD availability needs a corresponding boost in storage capacity.

Edit: maybe referring to the DCX3400?
post #27 of 166 Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post

Has anyone had any luck getting the 6416 swapped out for the 7216 without having to have a tech come out? I just got off the phone w/verizon and I swear they dont know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. The lady kept telling me i have the old SD DVR and I told her no...I have the 6416 HD DVR. She told me that she can send the new HD DVR but it would be $3.00 more per month. Tech support said they could send out a tech but they could still bring a 6416.

They are just going to ship me one via UPS!

I will let you know how it goes!
post #28 of 166 Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawingo View Post

amen. When I signed up in August they said that by January they will have a new lineup of DVR's with higher storage capacities. BS or were they overselling the 7216? The massive new lineup of HD availability needs a corresponding boost in storage capacity.

Edit: maybe referring to the DCX3400?

Time to get a TiVo. I have four on FIOS and I have one FIOS HD STB strictly for HD VOD.

LED DLP

post #29 of 166 Old 11-03-2008, 06:44 AM

The live buffer jumping to "Live TV" after 15min is extremely problematic. Does anyone know if this is scheduled to be addressed in upcoming updates? Alternatively, are there any options to increase the size of the buffer before is skips to the end?
post #30 of 166 Old 11-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Liked: 11
I have the old box and It's so bad I'm considering switching back to D*. I feel like I spend more time on the phone with Verizon than I do actually watching TV with my family. The box in the living room flat out died. The one in the basement apparently did the same thing tonight. I'll investigate more tommorow and I might have them replace this one as well. The model itself sucks as well. It claims to be able to record 35 hours of HD and it doens't come close. As much as I hated the HR20, it is way better so far than this motorola junk box, and I complained about that thing. The Motorola is slow and deliberate at everything. The DVR setup and settings are horrible. If these new boxes don't fix the problems, I will have to either decide between going back to D* or investing in a TIVO.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page