Lip sync issues - DirecTV HR22 DVR HD - using HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new DirecTV HR22 HD DVR, with 5LNB Slimline dish, is having lip sync issues. Doesn't happen all the time, but it varies from "quite horrible" to "seems fine". I am connected to a Sammy 52" HD LCD TV using HDMI cable.

I have searched and seen a few other threads where people complain about this issue, but no real answers. Is there any fix for this?

It's incredibly annoying, especially since I have spent a lot of money on my new Samsung LN52A650 TV and other home audio components.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Are you running the HDMI from the sat receiver directly to the TV, or is it going through a receiver first and then to the TV? If it's going through a receiver, there's usually a lip sync delay that you can change in the receiver's setup menu. If it's going directly to the TV, there aren't any options as far as I can tell, unless your TV has the ability to change lip sync delay.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #3 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

Are you running the HDMI from the sat receiver directly to the TV, or is it going through a receiver first and then to the TV?....

The HR22 is a DVR & receiver. It is a all-in-one component.

Does the HR22 or my Sammy LN52A650 have ability to adjust lip sync?

thanks

-
post #4 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

The HR22 is a DVR & receiver. It is a all-in-one component.

Does the HR22 or my Sammy LN52A650 have ability to adjust lip sync?

thanks

-

No, I understand that the HR22 is a DVR and referred to as a satellite receiver. The "receiver" I'm referring to (and I am guessing you don't use) is an A/V receiver, that you route audio and possibly video components through to get surround sound, and has amplifiers built in to it to power speakers. Typically, it's not possible (as far as I know) to change lip sync in the satellite receiver or the TV itself.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #5 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

No, I understand that the HR22 is a DVR and referred to as a satellite receiver. The "receiver" I'm referring to (and I am guessing you don't use) is an A/V receiver, .......

Ah, yes, I have a complete home theatre DTS and Dolby 6.1 system, anchored by a Onkyo receiver, using subwoofer and good-quality speakers. When watching movies on my DVD player (using HDMI from DVD player to TV), with sound routed through the Onkyo receiver (via optical cable from DVD to Onkyo), there is no lip sync issue at all.

For viewing of news programs (CNN, CNBC, etc) I do not utilize the Onkyo system. I use the TV's built-in speakers and this is when the lip sync issues typically appears.

thanks

-
post #6 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

Ah, yes, I have a complete home theatre DTS and Dolby 6.1 system, anchored by a Onkyo receiver, using subwoofer and good-quality speakers. When watching movies on my DVD player (using HDMI from DVD player to TV), with sound routed through the Onkyo receiver (via optical cable from DVD to Onkyo), there is no lip sync issue at all.

For viewing of news programs (CNN, CNBC, etc) I do not utilize the Onkyo system. I use the TV's built-in speakers and this is when the lip sync issues typically appears.

thanks

-

Okay, then I think your best option is to route the audio through your Onkyo, and tweak the lip sync delay in the Onkyo as you're able, and stop using your TV speakers. However, if you really want to use the TV's speakers, some Onkyo receivers have the option of using an optical output from the receiver and into the TV, and it MAY be possible to use the Onkyo to set delays on the lip sync issue while still using the TV's speakers. I can't vouch for this, as I've never done it (I haven't used TV speakers in about 15 years except on my small bedroom TV), but it might work. However, I don't know if this would route your DVD audio through to the TV's speakers, or if you could still designate the DVD audio to be output by the receiver to the speakers.

What model of Onkyo do you have, and is it a stand-alone receiver like the TX-SR505/605, etc., or is it a home-theater in the box type of receiver? Let me know the model number and I may be able to find an answer for you with Onkyo's online manuals (or you could look yourself and see if you find the answer ).

post #7 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

It's a TX-SR601 (a few years old). I was not aware that it might have any ability to delay audio as you describe, although I was aware of the "hall effect" which adds a delay in certain speakers so that it sounds like a concert hall with echoing.

Thanks for help
post #8 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Okay, the 601 does NOT have optical out, so that's not an option. And it also doesn't appear that the 601 has lip sync delay options, either. So, unfortunately it looks like you'll have to live with it, or get a newer receiver that has lip sync delay management and run your HR22 audio through the receiver. Sorry.

post #9 of 23 Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for looking that up.

If anyone has answers, please post.

-
post #10 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 05:09 AM

I have the lip sync issue also but only on some stations. The onkyo 606 which I have does not have a delay for lip sync , it just has an on or off. I put it to on and it got worse on some stations. I don't know, maybe I will have to run component and optical. Did not want to have to do that but worth a try I guess.

I am also having a searching for signal about once a day to once every two days with the hr22. I have to reset the receiver. The installers say do not hook the broadband connection up because it messes with the box. I don't think so. I think it is probably a software issue

Any input?
post #11 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott74 View Post

I have the lip sync issue also but only on some stations. The onkyo 606 which I have does not have a delay for lip sync , it just has an on or off. I put it to on and it got worse on some stations. I don't know, maybe I will have to run component and optical. Did not want to have to do that but worth a try I guess.

I am also having a searching for signal about once a day to once every two days with the hr22. I have to reset the receiver. The installers say do not hook the broadband connection up because it messes with the box. I don't think so. I think it is probably a software issue

Any input?

I'm assuming that you're using HDMI through your 606 to the TV for both audio and video. I had issues with my onkyo tx-sr805 picking up DD5.1 signals properly with that setup. However, at least with my 805, you can use optical for audio, and continue to use HDMI through the receiver for video only, which helped fix both the DD pickup issue and lip sync issues. In the receiver's setup menu, just designate the optical input (instead of HDMI) for digital audio with the input you use for satellite TV.

Also, the broadband connection should have nothing to do with satellite signal to your box. Have you checked the reception of satellite signals using your hr22's signal meter in the setup menu? Run that on all satellites and see what the numbers look like. I've got my dish positioned so I'm averaging about 90-95% across the board, and I've never had a searching for signal issue (unless of course it's raining really hard). The installers may either have misaligned your dish, or it may have slipped slightly resulting in decreased signal strength.

post #12 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 07:18 AM

I am having the same issue. I have tried connecting the HR22 to my Denon 1909 receiver with both HDMI and component/optical cables. The problem exists for me either way. I can adjust lip sync in my receiver, however the problem is intermittent. Therefore, it can't be manually corrected. It get's way off for a few seconds and then corrects itself... very frustrating. I never had this problem with my HR10-250 DVR. The problem began when I "upgraded" to the HR22. Could this be corrected with a firmware upgrade?

Thanks.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott74 View Post

I have the lip sync issue also but only on some stations. The onkyo 606 which I have does not have a delay for lip sync , it just has an on or off.

I also have the Onkyo 606. Lip sync can be adjusted from 0 to 100ms in 10ms increments. To access it, you'd press the Audio button right below the center navigation ring, then use the up/down arrow buttons to scroll thru the various options until you get to A/V Sync. Then use the left/right arrow buttons to make adjustments.

Keep in mind though that this can only resolve issues where the audio is AHEAD of the video, which isn't always the case. If the audio is lagging slightly BEHIND the video, any adjustment beyond the default setting of zero will only make matters worse.

Vin
post #14 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 AM

Looks like I have the same problem. HR22, Samsung LN52A750, Yamaha RX-V1800. All HDMI cables are going to my receiver and another HDMI goes to my TV. I noticed quite often picture and sound a bit out of sync but it's not constant, looks like it depends on a program. Is it possible that HR22 is just sometimes not able to process sound and video decoding at the same speed? I did not notice problem like this from my PS3.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 PM

I have noticed significant lip sync issues with the HR21. Seeing as the HR22 is the same only large HD it seems to me that it is an issue with the processing. Along with that I run into constant slowing of the system, happening on 2 different boxes.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My parents SD D* box has lip sync issues and my HR21-700 has serious lip sync issues.
The worst is when the video comes before the audio?! and then you can't do anything with your AVR's audio delay.
It is worse on some channels than others but an altogether annoying as hell issue.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 PM

I've encountered this a few times on our HR22, but only sometimes. It does seem to happen mostly when we are in the process of watching while recording another channel. I have found that pausing/resuming play helps. Sometimes it doesn't sync up completely, but the delay is far less after doing this.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 AM

It is definitely an intermittant issue with my setup--HDMI from HR21 to Sony Bravia and digital optical out to my Sunfire AV preamp. For example last spring, House was virtually unwatchable in DD through my surround sound speakers, the lip synch was so far out of whack. This fall, no such issue with House, but I still see it on my Fox station--example, during the Sunday football game when they show Troy Aikman and Joe Buck talking in the booth, they're way out of synch. But the football sounds (hits, crowd noise, thunk of the football being kicked) are not out of synch or if they are you don't notice it.

Through the Bravia's on board speakers lip synch is fine, and that's how I watch TV when I see glaring lip synch issues.

Unless it is every station and show, being able to set the delay in an AV receiver is little help as it is a moving target. My Sunfire is fairly old and does not have that capability in any event.

If your AV receiver can pass HiDef via component or HDMI to your TV, you might want to try connecting the HR21 video and audio to the AV receiver, and then run component or HDMI to the TV to see if the picture is in synch with the sound coming out of the surround sound speakers.
post #19 of 23 Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Is it my imagination or is the problem worse with CBS programming? Is that possible?

Thanks.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-01-2009, 06:04 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I to have sync issues with CBS
post #21 of 23 Old 03-01-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I had to use my AV receiver to adjust the sync because of CBS.
post #22 of 23 Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric turd View Post

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I to have sync issues with CBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I had to use my AV receiver to adjust the sync because of CBS.

The funny thing here is that CBS (and ABC, for that matter) is never a problem for me. I do have serious lip sync issues, however, on NBC and FOX.

My HR22 is connected to a Pioneer receiver via optical and to my Samsung LN52A650 via HDMI. I haven't seen any lip sync issues at all when playing through the TV speakers but this doesn't solve my problem since I never use the TV speakers. It did get me thinking though so I tried connecting the optical out from my TV directly to the Pioneer (I realize I'll only get 2 channel audio that way but DPL II derived from this 2 channel digital audio sounds very good).

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the lip sync issues I was having on NBC and FOX were completely eliminated and CBS was unaffected by the alternate connection I'm now using. But, as they say, nothing is perfect and I now have a slight lip sync issue on ABC.

I'm considering getting a cheap optical switcher so that I can switch back and forth between my original connection (HR22 to Pioneer) when watching ABC and the new connection (Samsung LCD to Pioneer) when watching CBS, NBC and FOX.

Vin
post #23 of 23 Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 PM

I also have a HR22 reciever that just recently have these sync issues with Video being slightly delayed from the audio. The video would also skip slightly every few seconds. A soft reset did not fix my problem with in the on screen menu from the remote, however a hard reset by push the small red button inside the small door on the bottom right corner in the front of the reciever fixed the problem....for now. Hope this help gang
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page