Newbie question: Cheap HD DVR setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this is wrong forum for this question, or if this question has already been answered.

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on a cheap-but-functional HD DVR for someone who does not have cable or satellite.

Assuming I have a basic HD-TV, and am receiving HD ATSC signals from an antenna, and I just need basic recording functionality (of both HD and SD shows), I'm guessing I need a DVR that can do RF-antenna in, has an ATSC tuner, and can do HDMI out. Is this remotely correct?

If so, is there a relatively cheap but solid DVR that will fit the bill? I've found that the current Tivo HD DVR will do the above, but it seems pricey (?) and I'm not clear if I would also have to pay a Tivo subscription to use it.

Again, apologies for the newbie question, and thanks in advance for all advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2008, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Do you have a relatively recent PC? If so, you're a perfect candidate for Windows Media Center or some other PC DVR software. All you'd need is a couple of tuner cards and a little time to get it setup.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhoo View Post

Assuming I have a basic HD-TV, and am receiving HD ATSC signals from an antenna, and I just need basic recording functionality (of both HD and SD shows), I'm guessing I need a DVR that can do RF-antenna in, has an ATSC tuner, and can do HDMI out. Is this remotely correct?

You don't necessarily need HDMI output. Component cables will output HD as well.

Quote:

If so, is there a relatively cheap but solid DVR that will fit the bill? I've found that the current Tivo HD DVR will do the above, but it seems pricey (?) and I'm not clear if I would also have to pay a Tivo subscription to use it.

The Tivo HD will do the job, but you need to have an internet connection for receiving the guide information. If you don't want to pay the monthly fee, you can get the lifetime service. It'll bring the price up by $400. But you'll have a fee-free, dual-tuner, HD DVR.

There have been lots of talk about the Echostar/Sling/Dish TR-50 HD-DVR. The latest info is that it's coming out around Thanksgiving 2008 for $300. Not much more is known about it, other than it has dual-ATSC tuners and it's supposed to have TVGOS for the listings. If it does hit that price target and has that feature set, I would expect them to be quite popular.

Another route to go is the discontinued Sony and/or LG HD-DVRs. They both use the TVGOS guide service, but they are only single-tuner devices.

If you have a decent PC/Mac around, you could use it for HD-DVR duties. You could put it in a back room and use some sort of media extender on your TV. Or you could plug it right into the TV as well.

You should do a search on this topic as it comes up very often.

Good Luck!

ft
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page