Press Release:Zenith Demonstrates HDTV Digital Disc Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2002, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just found this and thought I'd pass it along. Not due till 2003...
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020111/cgf003_1.html

[snip]
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- The first high-definition, high-density video disc recorder (HD-VDR) -- featuring a built-in ATSC digital television tuner and offering about five times more data capacity than conventional DVDs -- is being demonstrated by Zenith Electronics Corporation at the Consumer Electronics Show which concludes here today.

Developed by Zenith's parent company, LG Electronics Inc. (LGE), (this is Korea's GoldStar, correct?) the HD-VDR is designed to record and play back more than two hours of digital high-definition television (HDTV) programming.

The HD-VDR doubles as a digital set-top box that receives and demodulates digital HDTV signals using the Zenith-developed, industry-standard VSB (vestigial sideband) technology. The HD-VDR's set-top box capability supports user-friendly GUI (graphic user interface) features for simple operation.

The Zenith HD-VDR is a next-generation digital video product that can record and play back high-definition video on a 23GB HD optical disc (about 5 times greater capacity than the conventional 4.7GB DVD). It also features an IEEE 1394 digital interface.
[/snip]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2002, 09:50 AM

WAs at CES last week. Spoke at length with a very knowledgeable Pioneer tech---The technology you are referring to is called "Blue Laser"-----I believe---Pioneer showed a prototype in their booth---problem is that (according to Pioneer) this is YEARS away from the mass market-----They were showing a cool looking box/deck about the size of your typical component---BUT apparently the large cabinet it was sitting on wasn't just a show pedestal.----it was needed to house all of the electronics needed to power the deck---so, sounds and looks like this technology has a lot of work left

FYI Sommers

Thanks Sommers
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2002, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sommers
WAs at CES last week. Spoke at length with a very knowledgeable Pioneer tech---The technology you are referring to is called "Blue Laser"-----I believe---Pioneer showed a prototype in their booth---problem is that (according to Pioneer) this is YEARS away from the mass market-----They were showing a cool looking box/deck about the size of your typical component---BUT apparently the large cabinet it was sitting on wasn't just a show pedestal.----it was needed to house all of the electronics needed to power the deck---so, sounds and looks like this technology has a lot of work left

FYI Sommers
Blue light lasers are done by distorting the
output of the laser, then filtering out the
harmonics of the light [physics guys don't shoot
me]. I'm guessing the biggest problem is that
since this cuts down the power output, the
original source has to be something like a death
ray to work.

However, NONE of this is particularly relivant
to HD-DVDs produced by Hollywood ! Why ? Because
they are recorders. The technology for playback
only would be different, and actually simpler
to do. The appearance of a hollywood movie product
is a complex crapshoot of technology and politics.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2002, 12:07 PM

No doubt about it---Hollywood has definitely screwed all of this up
By years.

Thanks Sommers
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2002, 03:01 AM

...or we'll turn blue before the lasers!

I happened to see the Zenith unit at the show, but didn't bother tracking down the others.

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating. Here's what I think, unfortunately, we're in for...

DVD sales are really taking off. Just as with cassettes & CDs replacing LPs, DVDs are rapidly replacing VHS as the pre-recorded medium of choice. People will replace (or augment) VHS recorders with DVD players and buy new copies of material on DVD.

The manufacturers of both hardware and software (increasingly one and the same thanks to mega-mergers) want this to continue. Therefore, even though the technology for HD DVDs is within sight, they will hold off on their introduction for several more years (at least 5 is my guess) until sales of DVDs level off.

Just my $0.02... :)

Peter
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2002, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Peter, I agree with you theory, but what is all the hoopla at Microsoft about their 720p DVDs?

Trevor
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2002, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by peterd
...or we'll turn blue before the lasers!

I happened to see the Zenith unit at the show, but didn't bother tracking down the others.

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating. Here's what I think, unfortunately, we're in for...

DVD sales are really taking off. Just as with cassettes & CDs replacing LPs, DVDs are rapidly replacing VHS as the pre-recorded medium of choice. People will replace (or augment) VHS recorders with DVD players and buy new copies of material on DVD.

The manufacturers of both hardware and software (increasingly one and the same thanks to mega-mergers) want this to continue. Therefore, even though the technology for HD DVDs is within sight, they will hold off on their introduction for several more years (at least 5 is my guess) until sales of DVDs level off.

Just my $0.02... :)
Does look like it's lining up that way---BUT--there are enough major players who are not in the "Hollywood" copyright loop to still push the envelope-----the big growth in wide screen displays is not going unnoticed---there is a tremendous demand building out there. Once your on the digital platform---who wants to watch VHS tape?---but, of course it's all about the mass market where the big $ are---Oh well

Thanks Sommers
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page