How Can I Disable SA 8300HDC from Going to SLEEP Several Times a Day? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've searched around on AVS and surprisingly have not seen any comments regarding this extremely annoying issue.

My cable provider is TWC Raleigh/Durham. I've have two OCUR SA 8300HDC DVRs for over a year running Mystro. Both of these machines are internally set that if no control (channel/volume, etc) has been used for approximately 2 hours (this is a guesstimate) that it will bring up a screen saying it is going into Sleep Mode. Then you have a few seconds to hit the A button for "Don't Sleep". That's aggravating enough every two hours. But if you happen to be out of the room when this screen comes up, it will go to sleep. (Sleep in this case does not mean turn off, it means the DVR will just stop recording and stop being responsive to DVR controls.) Then when you come back and try to use the DVR controls (say to rewind, etc), the DVR has not been working and it will wake up and display a "DVR Controls Are Temporarily Unavailable" screen. The DVR will start recording again from that point, but everything before has been lost. The DVR is practically worthless and I've dealt with it for a year. Of course the equally worthless TWC telephone support personnel knows nothing of it. This happens on both DVRs.

Certainly I can't be the only one having this problem, can I? Has anyone else seen this and been able to turn off this sleep condition it goes into every two hours? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in Charlotte, but TWC and we were just switched to Mystro this year. I don't have your issue, but do know that my 8300 senses if my TV is on via the HDMI connection. How are you connected? I assume you've taken the box in and gotten a new one, but they are very easy around here, even have a place in the mall.

What your describing is moronic and the fact that it asks you means it was an intentional idiocy. If the tv is off totally, does it record shows?
post #3 of 37 Old 10-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in TWC Central NY and I have not seen this problem before, though, we currently are not using Mystro. The only thing that I can think of by looking through the General Settings menu on my 8300HDC (press settings twice) are the 2 options 'Timer: Turn-off' and 'Timer: Wake-up'. Seeing how there is a 3rd setting for 'sleep' these could be the ones you'd want to look at. Mine are currently set to 'disabled' which leads me to believe that this may be the reason why I haven't had such an issue. Though, I also have a feeling that this may not be the solution to your problem because if I were to turn these options on, they ask for a set time for on/off, not a time frame like you have mentioned (2 hours). Whatever the case, you may have different options in your General Settings menu and that would be the place to look to disable that.
post #4 of 37 Old 10-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Please tell me how to stop it. When I am recording shows off the 8300 HD to my HD-PVR it disrupts the recording.
post #5 of 37 Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta11i0n View Post

I'm in TWC Central NY and I have not seen this problem before, though, we currently are not using Mystro. The only thing that I can think of by looking through the General Settings menu on my 8300HDC (press settings twice) are the 2 options 'Timer: Turn-off' and 'Timer: Wake-up'. Seeing how there is a 3rd setting for 'sleep' these could be the ones you'd want to look at. Mine are currently set to 'disabled' which leads me to believe that this may be the reason why I haven't had such an issue. Though, I also have a feeling that this may not be the solution to your problem because if I were to turn these options on, they ask for a set time for on/off, not a time frame like you have mentioned (2 hours). Whatever the case, you may have different options in your General Settings menu and that would be the place to look to disable that.

I think I just did.
post #6 of 37 Old 10-12-2008, 05:11 AM

I have an Explorer 8300HD box through Cox Cable in the Phoenix area, and I am basically completely sick of the sleep mode at night. And I can tell you that it is DEFINITELY not because of the sleep timer, turn off timer, or any other settings that I have been able to adjust in the menu -- all of those are _disabled_, and yet it still shuts down from 01:00 to about 06:00. I believe this may be a signal from the cable company, and we may be unable to stop it. I've written Cox a rather lengthy email tonight that basically says -- fix this, tell me how to fix this, or cancel my cable, thanks.

I work nights and naturally have a night time schedule. With Cox finally releasing the On Demand service here in the Phoenix area and removing PPV from the regular channels, at night after 01:00, good luck watching On Demand -- it doesn't even warn you while you're watching it -- it just stops the On Demand show and goes back to the On Demand menu.

If you're not watching On Demand, but a regular channel, and dare to rewind/pause the show at all while you're watching it (without going back to live tv), it will reset, just as On Demand, WITHOUT WARNING, bringing the show back to the current live position immediately (tonight we even tried hitting enter over and over to keep it going, but that didn't work -- it went to live tv without warning, basically cutting out 90% of the movie we had rewound to watch).

Since I do an incredible amount of my tv viewing late at night in the wee hours, I'm ready to cancel my cable altogether (I hope you're reading this, Cox) and go with satellite, IF, and I stress, IF, I can find a service that doesn't decide when I should and shouldn't be watching TV.

Cox is about to lose my business for this -- but who cares, I guess I'm only one person.
post #7 of 37 Old 10-12-2008, 04:24 PM

It sounds like that may be their time for system updates. In which case, you probably wont be able to change. No idea why they take so long to do so. TWC only takes about 15 mins to do their regular checks, and even so, if your box is turned on when they send out said update, your box wont automatically reboot until the next time it is turned off and you aren't using it. That sucks man.
post #8 of 37 Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses - although unfortunately none of these address or fix the issue. As for the "sleep" timer under Devices/Settings (on Mystro), this addresses when you want to have the cable box shut off the signal to the TV when you're in bed going to sleep. The Sleep mode with Mystro turns off the DVR functionality. Why would they do something like that? Sheer stupidity. For some reason I have noticed that cable companies want to do this (like the fellow who is aggravated with Cox). You're right in that it is a sleep signal set by the cable company. I know this as my parents have Suddenlink and they were shutting down the cable box every night. When I called them about it, they talked with their engineers, and was able to reset the sleep/shutdown signal for my parents box from their headquarters so it didn't go to sleep at night anymore. Of course as I've already pointed out, the TWC support can't even understand what I'm explaining. It's truly moronic. I only wish I had a choice to get rid of cable; I despise TWC and their pathetic technology and support.

I am considering turning in the cable boxes and seeing if replacement boxes do the same thing. I was one of the first ones to get the new OCUR boxes with Mystro (about a year and a half ago).
post #9 of 37 Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 AM

I share petes457 disgust of TWC and their horrible service, but this message started appearing on my SA 8300HDC a few months ago and was interrupting programs that I was recording, so I couldn't let it go. I too made numerous support calls and had two moronic technicians visit and replace the box twice before I was finally able to convince a field supervisor to help me troubleshoot the problem. After a few days of investigation the field supervisor gave me the following explanation, "This was recently programmed into the software to save the hard drives and there is no way to change it." So, in order to keep the discs from spinning they have arbitrarily decided to put the box into sleep mode after three hours with absolutely no way for the users to change that setting.

That was the last straw for me and I returned to Tivo the next day by purchasing a new Tivo HD XL. Of course, it will take TWC three weeks to get here for the cable card installation. My next call will probably be to Verizon to see how soon a Fios install could be completed.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Wow....thanks airvonb for replying to this long lost post. I never resolved the issue either and was hoping if I turned in my boxes for newer boxes at the TWC depot, maybe it would resolve the issue. Your reply doesn't give me much hope this would be the case. And the pathetic answer that the TWC supervisor gave you about "saving the hard drives" seems right in line with their "customer values". The problem with his response is I don't have enough faith in any TWC support technician - even field supervisors - to trust he really knows what he's talking about and is not making up something on the fly to just not have to deal with the problem. Every TWC support technician I've had interaction with just seems like their goal is to make issues go away instead of resolve them. I think that's how you get promoted in the TWC support organization - just become a more adept liar.

One thing still bothers me: why aren't more people screaming about this in various forums, etc? To me this issue renders the DVR functionality for all practical purposes unusable. If you're so inclined, I'd like to hear about your experience with a cable card TIVO. (I didn't even know that existed.) I'm currently building my own media center computer based on Windows, but the media companies (like Time Warner) have agreements with Microsoft that restrict me in that process also. And I can only pray for the day I can have an alternative like FIOS or u-verse for providing content.
post #11 of 37 Old 02-24-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have the simplest, easiest solution to this. You'll really kick youselves after reading it. Change the channel or push SOME buttons in the 2-3 hours!!!

I've only ever seen that message once with MDN, and that was during the Super Bowl when I had no need to change channels or use the IPG. Normally, I'm flipping through the channels, looking at the guide or something else so it doesn't have a chance to go to sleep.

Personally, I think this is a good feature. As (probably) one of the handful of people who actually has read Connecting the 8300HD Digital Video Recorder I know that Scientific Atlanta recommends turning off the DVR whenever you turn off the TV to prevent unnecessary hard drive wear. For my system, this is automatic, as I use the coaxial Digital Audio output to feed HT. If the DVR is not turned off, the sound continues playing.

But since TWC doesn't even give out manuals with any equipment anymore plus the number of people who don't read it anyway, it's good that there's something to avoid unnecessary wear.
post #12 of 37 Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry nickdawg, but I have to respond to your post. As you can see from the above posts, those of us who are dealing with the problem are not happy with this at all. Your response "just change the channel or hit SOME buttons in the 2-3 hours" is ridiculous. A MAJOR PURPOSE OF OWNING A DVR IS TO RECORD CONTENT WHEN I'M NOT THERE. If I leave the room - and yes - leave the TV on or left it with someone watching, I often return and see something that I want to rewind and see what was happening earlier. I don't want to hit rewind to find out that I can't see what was being shown 10-15 minutes earlier because it's been "sleeping" on the job. Or if I'm watching a show and determine midway through the show I want to record the entire show I've been watching to review later, I want to be able to do this. When I hit record, I don't want it tell me "sorry, but I was sleeping so I wasn't recording this entire time". This is the essence of a DVR - to be recording all the time. In my case, I'm a trader and I have CNBC on all day. And I want it to be keeping a running recording of the issues of the day so when I come back from being away for a couple hours, I can see what has transpired. And frankly, this is 2009, not 1999. Disk space and disk drives are relatively cheap and well made. I have 3 home-built computers in my house that run 24/7. Quite frankly, I could care less about TWC's pathetic technology - it's the worst excuse for DVR software I've ever seen. But due to their control (and monopoly) in my area, I have no choice but to use their equipment. How I would so prefer to build my own DVR using open source software or even the media center capabilities in Windows, but TWC (with Microsoft complicity) won't allow us to build our own computer and record content because of their outrageous paranoia over their precious content.

Wow....sorry for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest. :-)
post #13 of 37 Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Once again I have to agree with petes457 and I share his tremendous frustration at the ridiculousness of this problem. Just to add a few more examples: I've been stuck working the last few Sunday evenings and have had to set the DVR to record some important shows that I couldn't wait to watch when I got home. Imagine how frustrating it was when I was watching the Super Bowl and halfway through the 3rd Quarter, just as Larry Fitzgerald made a great catch, the stupid "Entering DVR Sleep Mode..." message appeared in the middle of the screen. Or during the Grammy's, right in the middle of Coldplay's performance or during the Academy Awards last Sunday night. I was not at home during any of these shows and had absolutely no control to stop this stupid message from appearing or the ability to press the remote to implement even a "simple" solution.

But, just as petes457 explains, any manual solution that might be required completely defeats the entire purpose behind the DVR technology. This is simply another arbitrary and consumer-hostile solution imposed by TWC that completely ignores the needs of their customers.

Anyone involved with modern technology must find this harsh and old-school "shutdown" solution hilarious. But, I share petes457 dismay that there are not more upset or complaining customers, not that it would do any good. It took me almost six months to finally figure this mess out and now I am back to Tivo and done with that crap TWC DVR box. Maybe many others have done the same?
post #14 of 37 Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

If you saw the damn message appear, why not press "Exit" to dismiss it? Also, DVR only buffers one hour of content, so even if the sleep mode wasn't present it would do no good anyway. Still couldn't rewind or record the entire show.

I have upgraded my list of suggestions:

1. Get a Tivo.
2. Get another brand DVR.
3. Get Dish or Direct.
4. Get U-Verse or FIOS.
post #15 of 37 Old 03-16-2009, 01:36 AM

I think "nickdawg" needs an attitude adjustment. Your comments basically amount to "if you don't like it take your business somewhere else". They are not only totally unhelpful, but also just restate exactly what Petes457 already has said he is considering doing, or would do he if he could. But the point of his complaint is that Time Warner is sacrificing the functionality of their DVR, and tossing away customer satisfaction for the sake of a "feature" that no customer would actually want, and that renders a DVR nearly useless unless the customer spends their day managing a device that is not supposed to require any attention whatsoever. Basic recording of TV is easily done with VCRs or DVD recorders, so the only benefits of having a DVR is to make that kind of recording automatic, and equally to make it possible to ALWAYS have control over the television, even if you haven't chosen to record something ahead of time. I have noticed Time Warners advertising still heavily features the ability for the DVR to allow you to rewind or record live TV and other such functions that are nearly eliminated with this pointless "sleep" function, and not once have I seen the ads show the person in the commercial try to rewind that football game to see that play again, and instead get a yellow error message telling them that the feature that is so heavily touted in the advertising has been intentionally shut off by the cable company, and they actually CAN'T always rewind live TV unless they somehow know ahead of time that they are going to want to do so.

I'm having the same problems with my Timewarner Mystro DVR as Petes457, and a heap more. I tend to have the TV on in the background all day as I work, and watch the same channels for long periods of time, and I also frequently leave the room for extended periods, or am distracted by phonecalls and whatnot, and don't get the chance to choose whether I want the DVR to keep performing one of it's most basic and useful functions. And I sometimes return to find that something is on which I would like to go back and watch from the beginning, or record in it's entirety to watch later. I had a Timewarner DVR running Passport for years and it worked flawlessly until the day they forced the "upgrade" to Mystro. I could always rewind the current channel for up to an hour as long as it had been on the box for that time, and I could always simply hit record at any point during a show to record the entire thing. That DVR died earlier last year, and I can link all of the problems I had with it leading up to it's death directly to the installation of the new Mystro software. As I said it worked flawlessly before that, but from the day they forced Mystro onto the machine I began having problems with the box either constantly self rebooting, or having to be manually rebooted at least once a day. Random channels would simply disappear, the DVR would record jumbled nonesense instead of the show I had set to record, shows I had set to record and even showed up in my schedule to be recorded would simply not record even though I still had most of the boxes HD space empty, and all kind of other garbage that I had not experienced a single time while the box was running Passport. Finally one morning the box simply wouldn't turn on and I had to take it in and replace it. I came home with a 8300HDC and have had nothing but misery with it since. It actually has LESS functionality than my old box did even after the switch to Mystro. Besides this DVR crippling sleep "function" it also lacks many useful settings in the series recording menus that were there in the Passport software, and it no longer seems to be able to tell the difference between new programs and reruns. If I want to schedule a daily series like the Daily Show to record every night it also wants to record every one of the five or so reruns that they show during that night and the next day. With Passport I could have easily set it to only record the episode specifically shown at 10:30 every night, but that basic, yet incredibly helpful function is not a part of Mystro. And in Mystro if I set any series to record only "new" episodes it will still want to record each and every rerun episode as well. After years of barely ever having to look at my recording schedule, and always getting the shows I wanted I now have to go through my recording schedule at least once a week and manually delete dozens of duplicate or unwanted rerun recordings. This is also an excruciatingly tedious process given that the Mystro software runs as slow as the continents drift. Every button press, no matter what it is for, results in a wait of at least five to ten seconds before the system responds to anything else. And one other absolutely disgraceful example is that I can no longer set an entire series to be saved, and not erased when space is needed. I would have some series I absolutely wanted to keep so I could watch, and others I wasn't as concerned about, and didn't mind them being erased if the space was needed for something else. That is no more. Now everything can be erased automatically, and once again I have to go into each individual recording of each and every episode and manually set it to be saved and not erased rather than just setting the entire series to automatically do so. Again after years of barely even looking at anything except the channel guide, and my list of recorded shows to watch I am now having to constantly spend time manually manage everything that under Passport was easily programmable, and totally automatic. At this point I might as well just use my DVD recorder and set it's timers the way we used to with VCRs back in the day. It would probably be a lot less frustrating than trying to hamfist the near useless Mystro into actually doing what I want it to, after those years of being spoiled by the near perfect Passport DVR I once loved.

By I still like the convenience of a DVR, and unfortunately I'm not in a position right now to switch from Time Warner to satellite, and so I'm stuck using their pathetic service for the time being. But that again isn't the point. The point is that I was previously VERY SATISFIED with Time Warner cable, and the DVR they provide. But now I feel like I've been sold down the river. Their concerns for the lifetime of the substandard, and cheap equipment the CHOOSE to provide, and the cost of licensing an excellent functional software like Passport has taken priority over providing a valuable and functional service to their customers, and that is a valid thing to complain about. They have chosen to foist Mystro upon their customers when it is clearly not up to the task, or the standards they set by offering Passport DVRs in the past. It lacks most of the functionality that Passport gave the user, and given my experience with my first DVR I personally think that the Mystro software is so poorly designed that it actually causes the hardware failures that they are now so worried about. It overworks the equipment and so that equipment eventually fails prematurely. And their response isn't to actually put the money and time into FIXING Mystro so that it has all the functionality that their customers were used to having, and runs smoothly and safely, but to build in a "feature" that further cripples the DVR, and makes the money we pay for their "service" feel like an even bigger rip off. Believe me the second I'm able to get a Tivo and/or move to satellite I will. It's just sad that TW Cable would rather see me and other customers leave than to do the work they need to do to be able to at least offer us the equivalent of the service that we have actually gotten from them in the past.
post #16 of 37 Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 PM

I am a cable technician for TWC, and can only apologize for the clowns that you all have undoubtedly had to deal with in your Mystro trials. Indeed, I hear wild stories told to subscribers by lazy/incompetent technicians daily; full disclosure... I'll even admit to spinning a few yarns to beat a hasty retreat from irate subscribers or homes that reek of cat urine myself.

A few points... first about the boxes rebooting themselves or needing to be rebooted frequently: this is most likely a hardware issue, and should be fixed with a new box. If that doesn't solve it, I'd wager that your signals are too high; the 8300s are very finicky about levels. If you have a signal amplifier, have a technician reconfigure the splitters so that the line it is on is not amplified, assuming that you have roadrunner, have him put it on the first split with it ( a 3-way splitter before the amp, instead of a 2-way). If no amp is present, have him check the levels at the box (analog between +2 and +6, digital between -2 and +4), if they're too high, just add more splitters.

As to the sleep settings, they are non existant where I work, although their is a sort of screen saver if you pause for an extended period. There is a way to access the diagnostics, internal settings in the box, holding down a group of buttons, but the combo escapes me at the moment. In our service area, there is a channel that you can tune (1501 here, it doesn't show up in the guide) to show all kinds of fun info about your box, the GF is watching a movie though so I can't check to see if I can be more helpful right now. I'll get our handbook from the shop to see if I can give more info.

Now I don't mean to be an ass, here, but If you're recording while away, the box doesn't need to be on, unless you're piping it to a PC, which you may or may not be, I can't remember if that was this thread or the last I was reading. I'll get back to this thread with more info ASAP.
post #17 of 37 Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 PM

After reviewing the thread, I realize that no one was complaining about rebooting boxes, another thread altogether.
post #18 of 37 Old 03-28-2009, 02:58 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on the dignostic screen, but I think I found what I was talking about. To access the diagnostic screen, hold the volume+ and volume- buttons on the until the message indicator flashes, then press channel+. This is apparently how you access the diagnostic screen on the 8300HDC, I can't verify this as I actually have the 8300HD (no cable cards, no problems). Hopefull this will help.
post #19 of 37 Old 03-30-2009, 01:08 PM

There are actually a couple of different ways to get into the Diagnostics Screen on the 8300HDC. Not sure if the one you mentioned works (yet), but the one below works for me:

From the box or remote, hold Select until Mail light flashes, then hit Channel Down (-). Press Exit on the box to leave Diagnostics Mode.

Now all I need is a new way to do the internal hard drive format. Pause, Page Down (-), then List three times didn't work for me.
post #20 of 37 Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Page 15 in the user's manual found on TWC's digital support page states the unit will go into sleep mode between 1:00 and 6:00 AM daily. It specifies that a key on the remote or the front panel must be pressed when the warning banner appears. It also has a note saying that the cable company determines if the box is activated to enter sleep mode during this period.

So it sounds like the cable company could turn it off for you alone if you requested.

We are still using the 8240 or 8270 in Texas (not at home so can't check) and it will run unaccompanied for 4 hours and then go into sleep mode.

The timer wake-up and turn-off are for use when you want to record to a DVD recorder or VCR. You set the wake-up to turn the box on just prior to the show starting and turn-off after the show has ended. It will still go into sleep mode if the criteria is met as stated above.

I can understand they want to minimize wear and tear since we are only renting the boxes and some people would never turn them off, but we ought to have a parameter that we could set to over-ride the 2 or 4 hour restrictions to meet our needs.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #21 of 37 Old 04-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petes457 View Post

I'm sorry nickdawg, but I have to respond to your post. As you can see from the above posts, those of us who are dealing with the problem are not happy with this at all. Your response "just change the channel or hit SOME buttons in the 2-3 hours" is ridiculous. A MAJOR PURPOSE OF OWNING A DVR IS TO RECORD CONTENT WHEN I'M NOT THERE. If I leave the room - and yes - leave the TV on or left it with someone watching, I often return and see something that I want to rewind and see what was happening earlier. I don't want to hit rewind to find out that I can't see what was being shown 10-15 minutes earlier because it's been "sleeping" on the job. Or if I'm watching a show and determine midway through the show I want to record the entire show I've been watching to review later, I want to be able to do this. When I hit record, I don't want it tell me "sorry, but I was sleeping so I wasn't recording this entire time". This is the essence of a DVR - to be recording all the time. In my case, I'm a trader and I have CNBC on all day. And I want it to be keeping a running recording of the issues of the day so when I come back from being away for a couple hours, I can see what has transpired. And frankly, this is 2009, not 1999. Disk space and disk drives are relatively cheap and well made. I have 3 home-built computers in my house that run 24/7. Quite frankly, I could care less about TWC's pathetic technology - it's the worst excuse for DVR software I've ever seen. But due to their control (and monopoly) in my area, I have no choice but to use their equipment. How I would so prefer to build my own DVR using open source software or even the media center capabilities in Windows, but TWC (with Microsoft complicity) won't allow us to build our own computer and record content because of their outrageous paranoia over their precious content.

Wow....sorry for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest. :-)

I think it should be an option so that nickdawg can leave it on, and you can turn it off. I too am in Raleigh/Durham and have seen that message a couple of times (once this morning actually) and would like to be able to disable that feature. But, I definitely don't have problems with the DVR recording any of my shows (like you or aironvb) when I'm gone -- that would truly make it unusable! Or is it the case that you are not actually recording, but relying on the one hour buffer? I could see that being a problem if that's how you're using it. I'm just curious since I've never had a problem with a show recording (other than conflicts and the stupid new priority not working). I do turn my DVR off when I turn my TV off though. Until you can switch to something better, maybe you could just turn off your DVR when not there and set it to record the channel you want to rewind?

Let me know if you find out any more about the DVR sleep feature.
post #22 of 37 Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 PM

A few years back in my old place I had this same problem. I called tech support, the guy was really nice and ended up helping me out and turning it off. I don't remember it being a problem at all. Well about 6 months ago, we moved. Being that we moved within the same service provider we kept the boxes. Now they turn off around 1AM again. Which just happened to me.

I am kind of a night person myself, and watch a lot of TV in the evenings. I sometimes don't watch it, but will have it on in the background and listen to it. For example, tonight, at about 12:55 I tuned into ESPN. 1AM the show started, and a bit into it I heard them talking about something I was interested in. This was within 15 minutes of 1AM. Meaning I touched the remote under 20 minutes ago, and it still got enabled. The hard drive then takes about 10 or so seconds to come back to life, and of course I have missed what I wanted to see. I couldn't rewind...etc

I tried calling again, everyone plays dumb. I went to the office to get a new cable box, upgrading from the 8300 to the 8300HD when I got my HDTV. I asked people there, they had no clue what I was talking about. So I made a recording of it, on my Tivo box. Eventually I had a tech come out as I was having problems with one of the lines. I asked him about it. He had no clue, so I played the recording for him.

I really wish there was a hack around this, as this feature is quite pointless. Rather than have the hard drive spinning while there is no scheduled recordings, and it isn't powered on. Give the hard drive a rest then, not when it is being used. Unless there is some serious issue with the hard drive that is. It would be like your hard drive on your computer wanting to rest in the mornings. Even though you set up to download a game through the internet. Rather than the file being done when you go to play the next day, you get nothing. If you planned on using the computer at that time and watch a movie or play a game on it at that time, it would pop up with a "Entering sleep mode now. OK or Cancel"

I am thinking of trying to call everyday, as my provider is really quick about answering the phone. Maybe eventually someone will do it because they are annoyed with me.
post #23 of 37 Old 05-06-2009, 04:22 PM

I am having the same crappy problem. Just complained about it to some rep that was clueless of course. And that was with "technical support". Riiiiight. I was watching 2 long basketball games the other day and wanted to rewind an awesome play - and BLEEP...history erased for no dumb reason. I deal with that crap everyday doing this stupid mess. I WILL complain about this until SOMETHING is done or resolved, even if I have to go back to the older box that didnt do this mess.
If I have any luck I'll post...
post #24 of 37 Old 11-06-2009, 12:30 AM

The whole entire problem is "BANDWIDTH". TWC is starved for bandwidth, scared to death of their competition and should be! I know someone that does support for TWC (seperate company), they are constantly trying to think of any-kinda little small idea that can save them bandwidth. I'll be glad when there is a true alternative TWC, can't go with a dish that craps out in a rain storm!
post #25 of 37 Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are we all still just dealing with this? I seem to be getting this a lot and I really don't like losing the buffer of the last hour.

Another winner I'm getting is "press any button to continue watching this channel". How effed up is that? Now if I'm going to watch the same channel for several hours I'm going to have to have that pop up over half the screen until I acknowledge it? Give me a break.

I was having trouble with my 8300HD so mistakenly came home with an 8240HDC they said it was a new box. What a piece of caca that thing is. Very slow changing channels or using fastforward, etc. I took it back today and demanded an 8300HD. We'll see if I keep getting any of these messages.

Zoot.

zoot horn rollo
post #26 of 37 Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm in Central Ohio. I have two 8300HD's and my son has one 8300HDC. I got one of my 8300HD's back in late 2003. None of the boxes go to sleep.

I know that my oldest box get the most use with upwards of 14 hours ON use per day and night-time recordings every night. Other than it's small 80GB drive, it's rock solid. My son has replaced his HDC twice in two years.

So, if TW is saying it's to save drives, how long do they expect the HDD to last? Normal expected life is 3-5 years.
post #27 of 37 Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 AM

Get real TWC! I refuse to pay for MYSTRO DVR to SLEEP ON THE JOB!. When I fall asleep on the sofa and awake later only to find that "oh I wanted to see that show, I think I will rewind it with my DVR" and there is no memory on the DVR, and it needs to wake up too, I want to throw it out the window. I have called several times and finally they came up with the theory that this is an "ENERY SAVING FEATURE" . Well TWC you do not pay my energy bill, so you are not saving me anything, and you ARE Costing TWC many angry customers with the roll out of this so called "UPGRADE IN PROGRAMMING TO MYSTRO" ....ALSO

it now takes 5 strokes to access caller ID

It nolonger has "SKIP TO END" when stopping a recorded program, a feature I used alot to see the last 10 minutes when the children distracted me or whatever.

It now "thinks it's smart" and goes to where it thinks you wanted to stop when rewinding/fastforwarding etc. excuse me I know where i want to start/stop.

TWC this New service sucks and I PREFER THE PREVIOUS PROGRAMMING, and if it doesn't resume soon I will be canceling this bull and hooking up YE OLE FAITHFUL VCR. You are liike a bad lover, make me fall in love and the turn into something else. SWITCH AND BAIT!
post #28 of 37 Old 05-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

We are still using the 8240 or 8270 in Texas (not at home so can't check) and it will run unaccompanied for 4 hours and then go into sleep mode.
I can understand they want to minimize wear and tear since we are only renting the boxes and some people would never turn them off, but we ought to have a parameter that we could set to over-ride the 2 or 4 hour restrictions to meet our needs.

Exactly. This is so pissing me off.. My DVR is shut down (well, powered off, the unit doesn't seem to actually shut down anymore since the change...) every time it is not in use. When using my HTPC or other unit, it is not running. But I watch a lot of races which can go 5 hours+ easily. And I like to pause and rewind sometimes. So like today, I was watching the Indy 500. Had it slightly rewound... Got called away from the TV during the last few laps in an urgent matter so I didn't have time to pause, came back to it had shut-off the DVR and sent me to live TV. I missed the last 20 or so laps... This is the 2nd time this has happened.

The First time I was rewound, and it just suddenly cleared it's history and shot me to live TV. On the hour... I forget exactly what time, I think like 16:00 CTS that time. I lost about 20 minutes of re-wound movement and the last few laps of the big NASCAR race... I threw the remote right into the wall.

I'm right now checking through Direct TV to get new satellite installed. I want FioS but they won't come to my area... I want them sooooooooooo bad... AT&T isn't here either. TWC is my only cable option so I'm off to satellite... I'm sick of the Macroblocking issues TWC can't seem to fix anyhow. I've had a dozen techs out to my house over the last two years. They never have fixed it, I just get tired of them coming out. Last time out they changed all the wires to the house and replaced the box with a new 8240. Looks worse then ever... Once I get out of the hospital, DirectTV will be getting my business..

Right now, the 'New' DVR features absolutely tick me off to no end... Turn of the 'sleep after X hours' bs and the 01:15 sleep system first and foremost... Fix your macroblocking issues... Etc. I've given up hope on TWC... I'm just going to change. I don't like satellite but my neighbor has Direct TV and they have almost no noticeable Macroblocking so... And their DVR doesn't do ANY of this crap... These HDDs are so tiny and cheap, I'd gladly pay $100 for my own much larger drive to slap in there if they would just turn this crap off...

They don't want to burn their drives; How about having a quick-release system, give out the DVRs without a drive. Turn off the BS DVR features and require users to supply their own drives... Problem solved... But no, they'd rather be idiots and just make a worse and worse system every time.

I won't even go into how crappy the whole new system is. Slow, unresponsive, pinched down to 4:3 format... Seriously... WTF were they thinking.. I'll have a more detailed blog on that soon in my own website if anyone wants to read that rant (see the homepage linked from my profie (click on my name)). Monday probably.
post #29 of 37 Old 05-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromm View Post

I'm in Central Ohio. I have two 8300HD's and my son has one 8300HDC. I got one of my 8300HD's back in late 2003. None of the boxes go to sleep.

I know that my oldest box get the most use with upwards of 14 hours ON use per day and night-time recordings every night. Other than it's small 80GB drive, it's rock solid. My son has replaced his HDC twice in two years.

So, if TW is saying it's to save drives, how long do they expect the HDD to last? Normal expected life is 3-5 years.

Ya, the last guy took my good old 8300 even after I told him not too. I knew it wasn't the box... But 'they know better then us stupid customers'...
post #30 of 37 Old 05-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by had1 View Post

The whole entire problem is "BANDWIDTH". TWC is starved for bandwidth, scared to death of their competition and should be! I know someone that does support for TWC (seperate company), they are constantly trying to think of any-kinda little small idea that can save them bandwidth. I'll be glad when there is a true alternative TWC, can't go with a dish that craps out in a rain storm!

Actually, that isn't near the problem it used to be. Infact, the last storm we had, huge hail, high winds, etc. I was watching the race on the neighbor's dish cause TWC had screwed up yet again... It was flawless.. During the hardest hail part, there was a bit of macroblocking, but not as bad as I live with on TWC all the time. Direct TV might very well get my TV service contract soon.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page