Rogers HD-PVR Driving Me Crazy!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-06-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

Although this may not seem like a big problem to you, I'm thinking of returning my HD-PVR because its driving me crazy.

Perhaps I have a heightened sense of hearing, but it seems my Rogers Scientific Atlantic 8300 HD-PVR doesn't stop humming!!!

When I turn off my HD-PVR, the unit continues to run making a low level humming sound that is incredibly annoying. I can't keep the unit in my room as I'm not able to fall asleep with this constant buzzing in my ear.

The trouble is, I can't get a straight answer on this issue. There are those who say this is normal, while others say the unit powers down after a few minutes and the humming ceases.

So what is it?

I don't have any active recordings, and I'm not storing any as we speak. The only way its stops humming is if I physically unplug the power.

So do I have a lemon or is this normal? If its normal, I'm sending this puppy back as I can't justify recording my favourite show in favour of a good night sleep.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Sounds normal to me. That noise is probably the hard drive spinning. The DVR is constantly buffering the tuners, therefore the hard drive never stops spinning. The unit never really turn off either, it simply goes into standby. Your hard drive might be noisier than others. Maybe it's worth swapping the unit for another.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try swapping for another...but you would think in the interest of efficiency they would cycle down the hard-drive when there are no scheduled/saved recordings. Seems pointless to me to have it spinning for no good reason.

I tell you if the next one is just as loud, I'm going back to my old trusty VCR and a simple HD box.

Thanks!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentrokool View Post

I'll try swapping for another...but you would think in the interest of efficiency they would cycle down the hard-drive when there are no scheduled/saved recordings. Seems pointless to me to have it spinning for no good reason.

Well, as was mentioned, the disks always have to be spinning, even if no active recording is going on - whatever channel is currently tuned is spooled to disk for the trickplay buffer (rewind/ff/pause live) functionality. Unless you're suggesting that that would be something you'd only turn on when you want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentrokool View Post

I tell you if the next one is just as loud, I'm going back to my old trusty VCR and a simple HD box.

I think if your hearing is that sensitive, swapping out for another DVR isn't going to solve the problem. Sorry.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So here is the straight answer from another customer with a Rogers PVR.

The hard drive in the PVR will spin down and stop under certain condition which stops the humming that you are complaining about. First both tuners have to be set to a not recordable channel, e.g., 950, so that there is no buffering in progress. Second, and more vague, the PVR has to be in an idle state. This would include not receiving any software updates or interactive program guide (IPG), and not performing a HDD defrag. There may be other obsceure activities.

Very frequently, over the summer, the HDD in my PVR was spun down and therefore quite. But for the last few weeks it has been running constantly. I attribute this to a very poor defrag process that never completes. This seems to happen when my free space goes about 20-40%.

You situation should be different as you do not have any stored programs. Exchanging the unit is unlikely to help.

I would suggest the following. Set the default power on channel to 950. Then perform a hard reboot by unplugging the unit, hold down the power switch and plug it back in. Release the power switch when you see the boot message, and do not use the PVR for a few hours.

Let us know how this works out.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

As luck may have it, the humming has disappeared. Now when I turn off the PVR it continues to run for about 2 minutes and then powers down????

I didn't do anything fancy other then unplugging the unit and plugging it back into another outlet. I doubt that has anything to do with it either.

Anyhow, that annoying sound is gone!!!! At least for now!

BPlayer - I appreciate the instructions! If the sound returns I give it a shot.

Cheers!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As I previously indicated, the HDD in my PVR had been running constantly for the last few weeks. This weekend it started to turn off again, even though my free space, with a 500GB, was up to 60% full.

I am wondering if the unit running constantly is due to some interaction with the cableco that keeps the unit active as both HDD on dentrokool and my unit started to shut down around the same date (we are connected to the same cableco).
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

So here is the straight answer from another customer with a Rogers PVR.

The hard drive in the PVR will spin down and stop under certain condition which stops the humming that you are complaining about. First both tuners have to be set to a not recordable channel, e.g., 950, so that there is no buffering in progress. Second, and more vague, the PVR has to be in an idle state. This would include not receiving any software updates or interactive program guide (IPG), and not performing a HDD defrag. There may be other obsceure activities.

Very frequently, over the summer, the HDD in my PVR was spun down and therefore quite. But for the last few weeks it has been running constantly. I attribute this to a very poor defrag process that never completes. This seems to happen when my free space goes about 20-40%.

You situation should be different as you do not have any stored programs. Exchanging the unit is unlikely to help.

I would suggest the following. Set the default power on channel to 950. Then perform a hard reboot by unplugging the unit, hold down the power switch and plug it back in. Release the power switch when you see the boot message, and do not use the PVR for a few hours.

Let us know how this works out.

Thank you so much ... this was driving me nuts as well ... I did the 950 / Power on thing and it was quiet for a while but just as I started typing ... in started again ;(
post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2009, 11:20 AM

My hearing is SHOT. However, your rant is something that would probably bother my wife if we had this problem. Unintentionally, I probably prevented this from happening by inclosing our gear in a wall cabinet with glass doors which I assume soundproofs this from happening.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page