Please let me know the exact steps you used to get yours to work. I just got the My DVR 500GB drive from Western Digital. I want this to work!
I have Time Warner of course, and have the SA 8300HD model. I did the following steps:
1. Unplug the power to the SA.
2. Connect the eSata cable to the SA and the Ext HD.
3. Power on the Ext HD.
4. Wait about 30 seconds.
5. Power on the SA. Wait for it to boot up.
6. It never displayed any message about the HD.
7. I then pressed the Power button on the SA.
8. TV image came on like normal.
After about 1-2 minutes, a message comes up talking about I should only disconnect external hard drives when the power to the settop box is off. It also says to connect an external hard drive, wait at least 10 seconds after turning off the settop box power. I've done that. I turn off the power to the SA, wait 30 seconds, connect the eSata cable to both, then turn on the power to the HD.
Still, that message comes up after about 2 min, and the List of programs still shows the same % used.
What trick did you use to make this work?