Has anyone actually viewed W-VHS 1080i? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-18-2002, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently rented a JVC SRW7U W-VHS deck and recorded 3 hours of 1080i from C-Band, Dish Demo channel, and HDNet. The sources were all sporting events that looked stunning when passing through the input of the JVC.

However, the recording that the deck made was nowhere close to the source. I can't believe what I am watching; There are motion artifacts, softer color level, and a picture that is not close to the original.

My question is: Has anyone seen this deck in action? If so, how did it look?

Maybe the unit that I tried was defective?

Maybe this deck is "really" designed for JVC's cameras which use 1035i instead of 1080i? Maybe the heads were dirty?

Any thoughts?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2002, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I've seen a number of these over the last few years. The performance struck me as quite good, not perfect like D-VHS, but more than good enough for most display systems.

Based on your description, I would bet something was wrong somewhere.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 6 Old 01-18-2002, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I have actually done A/B tests in a controlled enviornment. Our company has an ATSC encoder and about 20 DVHS system we rent out to studios for HDTV viewing of dailies on the set.

We did these tests because a competitor was trying to sell the same service with WVHS thus avoiding the $100K encoding system ROI which we had to include in our rental rates.

The results were a slam dunk. The WVHS looked good but no where as good as the DVHS. As a seasoned broadcast engineer I was not impressed with the WVHS at all. To me it is the equlivant of standard VHS is to SDTV. meaning the percentage of loss was the same considering the source quality.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #4 of 6 Old 01-18-2002, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

I think the quality perception also depends on the display equipment too; with my 1000 line res Hitachi 53" TV, yes you can certainly tell the difference between broadcast and recorded quality on my SR-W5U, but not that much. Friends who have come round to see my TV have had dropping jaws watching a W-VHS recording of Gladiator. A lot seems to depend on the program/movie lighting too. At recommended viewing distance, on my setup at least, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. As a DirectTV subscriber, it's made a day and night difference to my TV watching schedule.

Greg
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2002, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

"The results were a slam dunk. The WVHS looked good but no where as good as the DVHS. As a seasoned broadcast engineer I was not impressed with the WVHS at all. To me it is the equlivant of standard VHS is to SDTV. meaning the percentage of loss was the same considering the source quality."

This is consistent w/ my findings as well. I am not comapring it to DVHS (for which I use the PV-HD1000). DVHS looks exactly as the source looks to my eyes. I am comparing W-VHS to the source of the content. I'm shocked at how different they look considering that this deck is supposed to record native 1080i uncompressed. Analog or not, it should look great.

I agree that something is probably wrong with this specific deck below its usual performance.................although I am not going to try another one. Back to DVHS until proven otherwise!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-18-2002, 10:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

I would say that VHS to SDTV is a very poor anology. WVHS 1080i is very close to the source. On a new tape on a deck with vclean heads (hard to find the head cleaners except at places like TapeResources).

I guess if you have DVHS working with HD sources, why would you want to go WVHS?

I agree with Greg on the Gladiator demo off the WVHS. I too would like cheaper tapes, DD, and other things, but you can't beat the flexibility.

Looking to run a 5000 to HDTV Demod to HiPix on computer, but I think I'm going to ask myself the opposite question, why did I do all that when WVHS is more than satisfactory.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page