TiVo HD vs. cable DVD HD -- should we make the switch to TiVo? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 93 Old 04-05-2009, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

Yeah, tried that today about 11 mins into a show just to see what would happen. Even though I did a rewind to the beginning of the show (at 8pm) before I pressed the record button, it still recorded the whole buffer plus the show (7:41pm - 9pm). This is probably a good thing for many people. I just like to have a bit more control over my electronics and will usually smack myself upside the head when I do something stupid.

You don't need to rewind to the beginning of the show to press record and have it save the buffer. You can press record from the current liveTV point and it will save the available buffer for that program.

It is rather unusual to have 19 minutes added before the start of the program. Usually, you should see only a few minutes added to the start of the program. The TiVo buffers in segments, and saves the buffer segment that contains the start of the program. For more highly compressed (i.e. lower bitrate) HD channels, the buffer segments do tend to be longer.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 93 Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

You don't need to rewind to the beginning of the show to press record and have it save the buffer. You can press record from the current liveTV point and it will save the available buffer for that program.

It is rather unusual to have 19 minutes added before the start of the program. Usually, you should see only a few minutes added to the start of the program. The TiVo buffers in segments, and saves the buffer segment that contains the start of the program. For more highly compressed (i.e. lower bitrate) HD channels, the buffer segments do tend to be longer.

I'll have to play with this one a bit more. I had tuned to the channel in question about an hour before (around 7:10?), was watching live TV and was caught up with live TV as I hadn't done any trick-play with it (and I know it buffers up to 1/2hr) and about 8:11pm I decided to see if I could somehow force it to start recording at the beginning of the show I was watching (which was 8pm), so I trick-played live TV by doing a rewind to 7:59pm, hit play and waited until the commercials were over about 8:02pm and hit the record button and went back to check the recording a little after 9pm when the show was over.
post #93 of 93 Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 PM

Just an FYI on the Tivo HD at Sears...A buddy that works there told me that the pricing has been reduced to $137.xx but couldn't tell me when it would take effect.

I also just bought the Tivo Wireless G USB Wireless adapter @ Radio Shack for 19.xx inc. tax...I believe it is on clearance.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page