Recording from a Dish 6000 to DVHS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2002, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read in several Threads on this forum whereby some people mention recording from a Dish 6000 to DVHS digitally.

Is there such a modification available somewhere that allows this to be done?

Does it utilize the Dish 5000 modulator?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2002, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Only two way I know of:

1) WVHS, an analog HDTV recorder. Compromised quality and expensive tapes.

2) Broadcast equipment, A system to record formn the 6000 would be about $70,000 and these tapes are really expensive.

When I was having a problem with CBSHD on dish they offered to give me a 6000 for $64 as trade in for my 5000. I pointed out to adavnced tech support these devices are NOT the same as the 6000 does not have an 8vsb out. This tech claimed there is a German conpany that makes an 8vsb adaptor that plugs into the 6000 slots. I grilled him to make sure he did not mean the 8vsb tuner module and no he did mean a modulator. He said Dish doesn't support it but they don't do anything to disable it either.

I think it's hogwash, if such a device was available you would find countless posts about it here.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2002, 02:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Techsa1,

I think you're confusing the Dish 6000 receiver with the 5000.

The model 5000, plus the optional HDTV Modulator (some call it a "remodulator"), plus a Panasonic TU-DST50/51 (or modified RCA DTC100) HD decoder -- let's one record HDTV digitally to a Panasonic or JVC DVHS VCR via a firewire interface. These are the only known digital methods (other than an HTPC with a Hipix-type of card -- and those are a bit kludgey and don't allow easy archiving).

Total investment for this system (if you can find all of the rare and discontinued components required) is about $2800.

Glimmie's stated solutions are much more expensive, and non-digital (i.e. slightly lower quality) methods that I don't think many people are actually using (but the only way to technically record from a 6000, as per your qestion -- so he's technically correct).

Many of us own (and discuss) the 5000/modulator/TU-DST50/Panasonic PV-HD1000 setup. There is no known 6000 -> DVHS solution.

Regards,

Steve
post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2002, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the info, Steve, but I am in fact referring to the 6000 with a possible esoteric modification (a la the rumor from Germany, etc).

I already own the Dish 5k/HDTV mod/DST/HD1k combo and they work great. It's recording the 6000 that I'm seeking info about........

Over the past few months, a "post here and a post there" mentions someone recording from a 6000 or ExpressVu HD receiver (same thing). I was just curious if there really was such a beast somewhere out there...............Thanks.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2002, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Techsa1
Over the past few months, a "post here and a post there" mentions someone recording from a 6000 or ExpressVu HD receiver (same thing). I was just curious if there really was such a beast somewhere out there...............Thanks.
I have not ever heard of this, other than Glimmie's story about the misguided Dish tech.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2002, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
I think it's hogwash, if such a device was available you would find countless posts about it here.
I would be willing to bet that the DN employee was thinking of an 8VSB locals tuner module, ie 8VSB input, not output.

The closest we have heard of any way to do this was when Richard Adams said the 169Time will be capable of it someday. But, we know he has had his share of technical problems getting even the first phase of that product launched. The 6000 mod was way way down on the list.
I think the best bet is to wait for the PVR system to be released later this year according to current estimates. They tell me their 1394 output will support current DVHS HD recorders with 5C a la JVC DVHS.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2002, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
They tell me their 1394 output will support current DVHS HD recorders with 5C a la JVC DVHS.
Don:

Any guess as to whether or not the 921 PVR will support the PV-HD1000 as well?

HDTV Early Adopter
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2002, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I specifically asked that and was told "yes." This is why I said earlier that I felt this would be something for me to have, ie to take my HDTV recording to the next level when the time comes. I asked about the JVC DVHS and that is when she said they will support all current day DVHS VCR's. While that answer may be inclusive, I realize that their is another (Mitsubishi) VCR out too but without becoming annoying and listing all VCR's she just answered with the inclusive type answer. Personally, I would ask specifically when the PVR is out before buying one if you own any model DVHS.

But in that same conversation regarding the PVHD1000 question, I was reminded that that VCR has 5C and if the PVR recording is "copy once" under 5C protocol, archive to DVHS tape would not be permitted. Makes sense, right? Basically, any program that is copy once protected would be seen by the PVHD1000 as a second copy with the PVR as the first. This would be true even for a DVHS connected to the PVR and attempting to tape a live program.
Explaining further- Using Macrovision as an example, you cannot route the video signal through a VCR to the monitor that has macrovision as the VCR would be affected by the macrovision signal. So, if you wanted to archive a tape of 5C copy once, you must make that tape direct from the tuner on 5000/modulator system and not connect the PVHD1000 to the PVR. If the program is "copy many" then you will be able to archive from the PVR. If the program is copy none as would most likely be the case for a PPV movie you won't even be able to time shift that and the PVR will be useless. The rep told me that the opinion of their people is that copy once may be the SOP in the industry of program providers. E* has no plans to institute 5C on their own. It will be a decision by the providers and E* will just pass it along.

I hope this more than covers your question, While I did not ask that much about some of the stuff that others seemed to be bothered with in this thread, I did spend most of my time with her discussing this issue to get a good understanding of how things might work in my situation (archiving tapes). I feel confident that unless they change the plan on this PVR that this is the way it will operate. Just remember that it is a product still under development and all specs and feature sets are subject to change until they reach the actual release version.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2002, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
I hope this more than covers your question, While I did not ask that much about some of the stuff that others seemed to be bothered with in this thread, I did spend most of my time with her discussing this issue to get a good understanding of how things might work in my situation (archiving tapes). I feel confident that unless they change the plan on this PVR that this is the way it will operate. Just remember that it is a product still under development and all specs and feature sets are subject to change until they reach the actual release version.
Thanks, your reply more than covers the issues I had concerns over. Needless to say I won't be putting my 5000/modulator on eBay anytime soon. I must admit though I'm a bit mystified at the timimg of this 921 product's release. It would seem to me that such a product would be much more attractive to the buying public if there were many more HDTV channels available on the DISH system. As it stands now you've got HBO, Showtime, and CBS for those lucky souls who can get waivers...hardly an overwhelming collection of channels to PVR with! I suppose you could make the argument that the 921 could be used as a SDTV PVR device as well, but from what I've heard of DISH's SDTV pic quality that option isn't necessarily appealing either.

HDTV Early Adopter
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page