Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee78221 View Post

I like many of the advantages Moxi, but one I do have a question about one.

In bkdtvs post # 17 You can edit / delete recordings online.

What editing can you do online?

In this post, bfdtv quotes a Moxi FAQ. By "edit" it is meant "schedule" as in "edit the schedule". You can schedule programs or series to be recorded, and remove programs and series from the schedule. Only basic scheduling is possible. Time can't be added or subtracted from the scheduled program or series, time slot can't be selected, accept repeats can't be set, etc. But when you're sitting at work and realize that you forgot to schedule something that starts before you get home, it's a real convenience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 PM

I just watched the cruchpc or whatever it is called review on youtube.. while the interface is new it is not that much more confusing than the tivo's,

Also he made a big deal about the fact that the unit should only show you what channels you have... Again tivo does not even do this they take the opposite approach and only show you basic and then let you manually enter your extra channels...

He also mentioned that the tivo will work with any dlna based video source but that is not true you still need to load the tivo desktop. he said that the moxi does not play avi files but tivo does... again not true tivo requires tivo desktop to convert and copy files to the tivo hard drive, although you can start watching right away. My moxi plays my avi based files just fine through tversity so I am not sure why he did not do a little searching or even call support first...

so far i have had my tivo for a week and my moxi for 3 days and I am leaning very heavily towards the moxi... I can not find anything on the dlna 2.0 standard... but if true that would really rachet up the usefullness.

also BFDTV, you mention in your comparison that the moxi works with up to a 2TB eSata drive however it will work with the lacie 4TB eSata drive so it must use a 64bit OS... I think tivo is limited to a total of 2TB for its storage and doesn't the tivo need to link the two drives together.. is this the format and do you loose everything if you swap out external drives? that would really be a deal breaker for the tivo... for me anyway...

John crawford
john@crawfordweb.org
Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle17 View Post

Also he made a big deal about the fact that the unit should only show you what channels you have... Again tivo does not even do this they take the opposite approach and only show you basic and then let you manually enter your extra channels...

Manually enter other channels? I'm not sure what you mean here. Did you not have a CableCard installed? When a CableCard is installed, all your cable channels are displayed with guide data and there is nothing to manually add.

Once a CableCard is installed, TiVo enables every channel (except premiums and ppv) by default under Settings -> Channels -> Channel List. Then you uncheck the ones you don't want.

Channels you uncheck no longer appear in the guide. Channels you uncheck no longer show up in search results. Channels you uncheck are no longer recorded by TiVo suggestions. Channels you uncheck are no longer recorded by wishlists. More information in the Using TiVo FAQ.

Gizmodo's point was that they could not find the option to do the same thing on the Moxi. Gizmodo could not find any way to hide the search results for the channels he did not receive or did not watch, such as Playboy.

Quote:

He also mentioned that the tivo will work with any dlna based video source but that is not true you still need to load the tivo desktop. he said that the moxi does not play avi files but tivo does... again not true tivo requires tivo desktop to convert and copy files to the tivo hard drive, although you can start watching right away. My moxi plays my avi based files just fine through tversity so I am not sure why he did not do a little searching or even call support first...

I agree with you on that point. I did not understand his criticism. TiVo and Moxi both use Broadcom drivers, and Broadcom's drivers do not support native DIVX playback at this time. Both require that DIVX files be converted (transcoded) to MPEG-2.

TiVo's uses a Broadcom driver that supports MPEG-4 (MP4) files. I'm not sure whether Moxi currently supports that. If it doesn't, it probably will with a software update.

Quote:

also BFDTV, you mention in your comparison that the moxi works with up to a 2TB eSata drive however it will work with the lacie 4TB eSata drive so it must use a 64bit OS...

That's what Moxi told me via email. I'll send another email and ask.

The TiVo uses 64-bit addressing just like the Moxi, but the TiVo's Broadcom SATA driver only supports a maximum 1TiB partition size, which means a maximum of 2TiB based on how the TiVo's partitions are configured. To support more than that, either Moxi is using a different Broadcom SATA driver or they have the same limitation but are able to create and use more 1TiB partitions.

Quote:

I think tivo is limited to a total of 2TB for its storage and doesn't the tivo need to link the two drives together.. is this the format and do you loose everything if you swap out external drives? that would really be a deal breaker for the tivo... for me anyway...

Yes, Moxi has a definite advantage in the way it handles external drives. TiVo stripes (i.e. splits) all recordings across both the internal and external drives, you lose everything if you swap out external drives.

On the other hand, TiVo allows you to download recordings to your computer in MPG format for viewing, editing, conversion for a portable media player (ex: iPhone), burning to DVD or Blu-ray, or transfer back at a later time. Moxi does not. I've got about 2TB of recordings on my server.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Manually enter other channels? I'm not sure what you mean here. Did you not have a CableCard installed? When a CableCard is installed, all your cable channels are displayed with guide data and there is nothing to manually add.

Once a CableCard is installed, TiVo enables every channel (except premiums and ppv) by default under Settings -> Channels -> Channel List. Then you uncheck the ones you don't want.

Channels you uncheck no longer appear in the guide. Channels you uncheck no longer show up in search results. Channels you uncheck are no longer recorded by TiVo suggestions. Channels you uncheck are no longer recorded by wishlists. More information in the Using TiVo FAQ..

that is my point I added service after installing the tivo and when I went to search they were not there. I eventually found the place to add the channels one at a time which took a while (6 pages of channels to choose from).

the Moxi on the other hand has all of the channels my cable provider supports listed just like the motorola dvr that I have. (on a side note for everyone else reading the Tivo search is by far better and i like the fact that it will not show you results for shows you can not get.)

Quote:

On the other hand, TiVo allows you to download recordings to your computer in MPG format for viewing, editing, automatic conversion for a portable media player (ex: iPhone), burning to DVD or Blu-ray, or transfer back at a later time. Moxi does not. I've got about 2TB of recordings on my server.

is the video in HD? can you send it back to the tivo to view on the TV in the same quality it was recorded? EDIT: sorry I didnot see t he transfer back but are they in the same format?

that would make the tivo to go feature more usefull to me. but i have also heard that depending on your cable provider much of the content is blocked from ttg. If true that could be an issue.

The only issue i had with the moxi was quickly resolved by there customer service and it has been rock solid in heavy use for the 3 days since i installed the cable cards. The Tivo has also been rock solid but I have decided not to purchase the tivodesktop pro software since i do not plan to keep the tivo at this time. the external hard drives and the dlna are more important for me. Dlna because i already use a tversity server to stream to xbox 360's and a dlink dsm-520.. and the moxi is a better dlna player than either of those.

I would like to see VOD soon from moxi. This is an important feature and of course it needs to be HD .

John crawford
john@crawfordweb.org
Old 07-21-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

that is my point I added service after installing the tivo and when I went to search they were not there. I eventually found the place to add the channels one at a time which took a while (6 pages of channels to choose from).

I'm guessing you initially setup your TiVo with the option to "install CableCards later." If you do that, you may have to check the channels on the list manually once the CableCards are installed. If you had re-run guided setup after the CableCard install, all channels would've been enabled/checked automatically.

Anyway, Gizmodo's point is that TiVo makes it easy to remove channels you do not want so you never have to see them in the guide or search results. This is especially important to the TiVo, which will automatically record based on a channel search (such as all new Orioles games, all new series pilots, all Clint Eastwood movies in HD, etc). This feature wouldn't really work if there was no way to disable channels you do not receive.

Quote:

is the video in HD? can you send it back to the tivo to view on the TV in the same quality it was recorded? EDIT: sorry I didnot see t he transfer back but are they in the same format?

Yes, all recordings are downloaded bit-for-bit identical to the original. If the recording in in HD with DD5.1, that's exactly what you get when you download the recording. These recordings can be sent back to the TiVo at a later time, or they can be streamed to an Xbox360, PS3, Popcorn Hour, etc.

Quote:

that would make the tivo to go feature more usefull to me. but i have also heard that depending on your cable provider much of the content is blocked from ttg. If true that could be an issue.

The FCC prohibits restrictions on local SD/HD channels. Time Warner and Brighthouse are two providers that protect (i.e. block) virtually everything on cable. Most Comcast systems only protect the premium movie channels like HBO. Verizon FiOS does not protect anything for now, although they plan to protect the premium movie channels next year.

Launch TiVo Desktop, kmttg, or a web browser (https://tivoip with 'tivo' as login and your MAK as the password) and you can easily see what is and isn't protected. My preferred tool is kmttg (screenshot) with its built-in decryption and commercial removal.

Quote:

The only issue i had with the moxi was quickly resolved by there customer service and it has been rock solid in heavy use for the 3 days since i installed the cable cards. The Tivo has also been rock solid but I have decided not to purchase the tivodesktop pro software since i do not plan to keep the tivo at this time. the external hard drives and the dlna are more important for me. Dlna because i already use a tversity server to stream to xbox 360's and a dlink dsm-520.. and the moxi is a better dlna player than either of those.

Disconnecting and reconnecting external drives doesn't seem very practical to me (it may be to others), since you have no means to organize or move recordings. The Moxi isn't like the Dish ViP722 that allows you to selectively move recordings between the internal and external drive; storage is random.

I do think that [industry standard] DLNA support is a definite advantage, especially with Windows 7 on the way. Windows 7 has built-in DLNA support, so you should be able to right-click on a video file and play it directly to the Moxi without any extra software.

Moxi has also said that it is working on DLNA 2.0 support (with DTCP-IP encryption), so eventually, that could enable it to stream recordings to other DLNA 2.0 compliant devices. If/when we might see DLNA 2.0 compatible hardware is unknown, but I think we'll see such products eventually.

Quote:

I would like to see VOD soon from moxi. This is an important feature and of course it needs to be HD .

Moxi does not have the hardware to communicate with the cable company like a cable box, but they could certainly do like TiVo and partner with Netflix, Amazon, or Blockbuster to integrate those services directly, as necessary to support HD.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Disconnecting and reconnecting external drives doesn't seem very practical to me (it may be to others), since you have no means to organize or move recordings. The Moxi isn't like the Dish ViP722 that allows you to selectively move recordings between the internal and external drive; storage is random.

Moxi's system is more elegant than TiVo's but isn't a viable solution for unlimited storage, as I posted here. Too bad!

http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/...k_warning.html
http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/...k_storage.html
Old 07-26-2009, 04:24 PM

"Does not keep a record of recorded programs to prevent re-recording the same programs after they are deleted from the DVR."

Is this still an issue? I've emailed Moxi's support and they've danced around the issue.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 AM

After using both a MOXI and TivoHDxl for about 2 weeks I have decided to send back the tivo and buy a second moxi.

Most of this is due to personal preference however one key point that helped the desicion was that the tivo locked up twice on us and that really drove my wife crazy... fortunatly every thing was being recorded on not only the tivo but on the moxi and the fios DVR....

the Tivo had a much better search feature, smarter (i liked the recomended shows), and for people with fios and comcast tivo to go is a great feature.

lack of DLNA for streaming from my tversity, instability at least on the box I have, and in my opinion a hard to read interface were really the reasons i decided to send it back.

As for the MOXI I really can't say enough good things about this box... I prefer the interface, The DLNA player is the fastest one I have ever used. browsing movies is a cinch unlike my dsm-520 or xbox 360 which are both pains to scroll through the number of titles on my server. Also I can add a 4TB External HD to the MOXI which will be nice.

I have encountered what I thought were a few problems but a quick email to support resolved all of these as user error...

Also there are several big updates for the MOXI coming in the next release, If you already own a TIVO S3 or HD I would not give it up for the moxi unless you are really unhappy with it.. the MOXI is not a next gen DVR and there are still many places that the moxi software devopers need to catch up with tivo...

John crawford
john@crawfordweb.org
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Anyone here from San Antonio? I'm unable to get all of my channel with the Moxi box. I'm wondering if Time Warner is Digital Simulcasting all of it's channels? If your able to get them all.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Dave Zatz who often has heads up on video gear posted this at TCF:

Grid guide is coming soon to Moxi. I don't have an exact date, but I've been told sooner rather than later and as part of the next software update.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...52#post7405252
Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyone here from San Antonio? I'm unable to get all of my channel with the Moxi box. I'm wondering if Time Warner is Digital Simulcasting all of it's channels? If your able to get them all.

Time Warner uses SDV for digital simulcast (and many SD and HD channels) in most of its markets. At this time, only the TiVo supports the SDV adapter (available from TWC at no added cost); this plugs into the USB port on the TiVo.

Moxi plans to support SDV by the end of the year.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 AM

OK. Do you know if I can use two analog dongles with the Moxi(As it has two USB ports) to let it record two analog channels?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry; you can't.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Sorry; you can't.

Have you tried it?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have you tried it?

Moxi says only one dongle is supported. Even if it were allowed, another analog dongle still wouldn't get you the SDV-only SD and HD channels.

You might email them at info@moxi.com to ask if there is any update on the status of SDV adapter support.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Moxi says only one dongle is supported. Even if it were allowed, another analog dongle still wouldn't get you the SDV-only SD and HD channels.

You might email them at info@moxi.com to ask if there is any update on the status of SDV adapter support.

Many of the TWC markets simulcast their SDV channels in analog. In central Ohio many of the channels that my cable box receives as SDV are still viewable on my bedroom set that does not have a cable box.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

Many of the TWC markets simulcast their SDV channels in analog. In central Ohio many of the channels that my cable box receives as SDV are still viewable on my bedroom set that does not have a cable box.

The majority of SD channels are certainly available in analog, but the Moxi only has one analog tuner (using a dongle).

Many cable HD channels on Brighthouse, Cox, and TWC systems are SDV-only. As far as I know, a minority of SD channels are also SDV-only.

If TWC got rid of its analog channels (freeing up substantial capacity), then it wouldn't need SDV. Sixty analog channels consumes roughly the same capacity as 550-750 digital SD channels, or 120-180 HD channels, or some combination of the two.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you tried it?

Plugging in a second dongle? No. So perhaps it might work. But only one dongle is included per Moxi so I've reached the point of diminishing returns when considering that test!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 PM

When you are talking about the channel selection, to make them show up or not show up on the guide, do you mean making the channels disappear and not show up on your channels list? On my cable moxi you go to the settings tile then go to the channel list and you can select and deselect what channels you want to show up or not show up. I deselected all the QVC type channels and they disappeared from my searching and browsing. The rebooting in the middle of the night sounds like a software update and then a restart. My cable moxi from a few years ago does VOD so the software is at least in place. Why can the new box not do VOD?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 AM

I have surmised from the discussion that Moxi doesn't work with switched digital video, for now, but what I'm wondering is if there's a way to for a given cable system figure out which channels a Moxi would get, and which it would not. Mostly I record/watch in HD when I can, so I could care less about the lower quality variants, but some don't come in HD. Anyway, what I was wondering is if there's a list somewhere, or a way of figuring it out (like viewing without a cable box?).

Paul Jones
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post

I have surmised from the discussion that Moxi doesn't work with switched digital video, for now, but what I'm wondering is if there's a way to for a given cable system figure out which channels a Moxi would get, and which it would not. Mostly I record/watch in HD when I can, so I could care less about the lower quality variants, but some don't come in HD. Anyway, what I was wondering is if there's a list somewhere, or a way of figuring it out (like viewing without a cable box?).

Try your zip code here:
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels_us

Probably not the exact type of list you are looking for, but will give you an idea of what digital channels are available (clear-QAM or ATSC) in your area. Keep in mind the Moxi will not be able to get the OTA ATSC lineup, just the cable.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post

I have surmised from the discussion that Moxi doesn't work with switched digital video, for now, but what I'm wondering is if there's a way to for a given cable system figure out which channels a Moxi would get, and which it would not.

On most TWC systems, virtually all HD channels are SDV except for the locals and sports channels (ESPN, RSNs). Most digital SD cable channels are SDV, too.

Until Moxi adds SDV support like TiVo, I don't know that it's a viable option for most Brighthouse, Cox, and TWC customers. When I inquired a few months ago, Moxi told me that it hoped to support the SDV adapter by the end of the summer. You might email and call and ask about the current status.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM

I've been using Moxi for a few weeks(I was able to get everything set up) One thing I like is being able to tell it to only recored at only one time slot and not having to set up Complicated Wishlists. The Daily show only shows new episodes in one time slot each day and I can tell Moxi to only recored at 10:00PM to 10:30PM Monday-Thursday and it will ONLY recored in those time slots.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've been using Moxi for a few weeks(I was able to get everything set up) One thing I like is being able to tell it to only recored at only one time slot and not having to set up Complicated Wishlists. The Daily show only shows new episodes in one time slot each day and I can tell Moxi to only recored at 10:00PM to 10:30PM.

If you really want to regularly record one timeslot, TiVo already offers that option. It's under Find Programs -> Record by Time or Channel -> Set Up Manual Recording (screenshot, screenshot of options). As a quick shortcut, press '7' from the TiVo menu. All recordings appear with program names, descriptions, etc and are prioritized and folderized just like any series recording.

The first problem with setting a specific time is that you miss episodes of that show (or another show show) when there are conflicts. The benefit of wishlists is that it takes conflicts out of the equation with automatic rescheduling. With a wishlist, you always get the first available episode that doesn't conflict with your other higher-priority shows, which can be the first showing, the reairing three hours later, or the reairing shown the next day, depending on what else you have scheduled.

The second problem with setting a specific time is that you still get repeats, albeit less of them. Twelve weeks out of the year, Comedy Central runs repeats of the Daily Show in its normal timeslot. These repeats often have a generic description so DVRs can't tell them from new episodes. A TiVo wishlist is able to ignore all repeats with the generic description, while the Moxi cannot.

I do agree that Moxi has does have an advantage if you want to record a specific timeslot, because the TiVo only offers timeslot options for single, daily, weekly, Mon-Fri, and Sat-Sun. There is no option for Mon-Thurs. Then again, Moxi lacks both wishlists and the manual timer screen, which can also be used to schedule recordings for programs that are more than 14 days out (allows up to a year out).
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM

FYI... Existing Moxi owners should hopefully be receiving an email from Moxi late this week concerning the forthcoming update. There is no exact date being announced to the public yet but they're hoping they can get the software release out in the next 14 days.

Keep in mind that they're pretty conservative when it comes to pushing new software out. So if there are showstopper bugs uncovered in late beta testing, they'll push the release back again.

Existing customers may have noticed their Moxi's prompting to reboot for a middle of the night software update over the past few weeks as the release has been staged and units prepped.

In July, I had problems w/ my CableCard that engineering thought 6.0 would fix (and it did). So I unofficially officially got the new software early.

SDV support is one of the main new features in the upcoming 6.0 release. Requires an external tuning adapter. There is a new SDV diagnostic menu to read the cable co status info off the tuning adapter - just like w/ a CableCard. I got TWC to bring me a functional tuning adapter and Moxi talks to it just fine.

SDV isn't yet enabled in the entitlements though... they're hopefully due at the end of the week pending successful sign-off by engineering on the software release. Until the entitlements are released, SDV channels don't show up in the guide yet - except immediately following a reboot before the unit catches up w/ itself.

Entitlements are the hidden little bits in your device profile that tell your Moxi what features to turn on/off or expose to the end user. Apparently the exec team laid the smack down to keep support from pushing entitlements out early.

Yes there is now a Grid Guide. I don't like grid guides so it doesn't turn my crank. Sort of reminds me of the old ReplayTV guide. Basic looking but functional.

Visually you won't notice any major changes but there are lots of little tweaks here and there.

The Favorites can now show favorite recordings (I assume favorite series recordings as that's all I've seen there).

Only minor annoyance is having an analog adapter and a tuning resolver attached at the same time takes up both available USB ports -the one on the front and the one on the back.

I will say that my unit seems more stable now on the 6.0 release. Wasn't really unstable before but I had lots of CableCard weirdness. This release has eliminated them for me. (Now if only TWC would fix their crappy over compression and pixelation issues on non-SDV HD channels... but that's not Moxi's fault.)

- IT Geek
Old 08-03-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

itgeek,

Were you asked to sign a NDA? If not, how about some pictures of the new grid guide?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM

No... just my word of honor that I'd behave myself.

I'll see if the engineers will let me do it w/o pissing off the execs. You know scooping Gizmodo can get you in big poop.

- IT Geek
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
itgeek (hey I'm one of those too!),

The grid guide is at least better looking than Comcast's right? Comcast shows 5 channels at a time, plus a big honkin ad at the bottom of the screen, and only 1 hour horizontally.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Ok, standard disclaimer applies... this is pre-release software. The final release may change. Features may look different or disappear when they move to final public release. I'm not covered by an NDA but be nice and don't go reposting them somewhere else. Last but not least, I suck at taking pictures of TV and my wide angle lens slightly pincushin/fish eye's the image.

PS... My software version is 6.0.0.11R4BR

- IT Geek
Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 PM

So you can turn off the grid guide if you want too? If so that is pretty cool offering the best of both worlds