Moxi HD DVR - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3781 of 6278 Old 08-14-2010, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Moxi updated itself just before 2:00 a.m. And then it rebooted. I, too, have no idea what the update changed/fixed. and I, too, wish Moxi would post what their updates fix/change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 6278 Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 PM

My moxi setup with mate, SDV and analog dongle have been working great for months.

My wife has actually come around and likes the moxi even though she will not admit it.

Now all of our recordings are gone.

I called moxi yesterday and was told the latest update was to correct exactly what happened to me for those who record analog channels. Moxi said others were reporting their recordings gone and linked the issue to those who recorded analog shows.

My wife could care less which channel she records from, so sure enough she had shows recorded from ABC, rather than HD ABC and other analog programs. I never had any issues before and wonder if the recent update actually caused my loss of shows, but what can I do? Anyone else recently lose all of their recordings?
post #3783 of 6278 Old 08-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Part of the deal involved Cox placing ads in all TiVo's GUIs. ARRIS/Moxi has maintained a "no GUI ads" approach to things. AFAIK, these TiVos still won't work on SDV channels without the adapter.

You are exactly right. Those Tivos will still need tuning adapters to access linear channel SDV. The VOD functions are being provided via the "SeaChange" technology which Tivo signed on as a partner for a while back. This uses a ip-based back channel for navigation and such, and the content is delivered over a QAM channel. It's actually a form of SDV...and ironically as close as the industry has come to fulfilling the FCC's "suggestion" that an IP-based SDV solution be rolled out by the cable companies. This might wind up being a defacto standard if enough "big guys" like Cox begin implementing it and if it ultimately morphs to be a general purpose SDV tech as well...and it would fulfill at least a good chunk of the spirit of the FCC's vision. At that point, it would be on Arris to sign up with SeaChange to be able to play too.
post #3784 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

My Moxi updated itself just before 2:00 a.m. And then it rebooted. I, too, have no idea what the update changed/fixed. and I, too, wish Moxi would post what their updates fix/change.

With this update, the interface seems quicker on the Main Moxi and the Moxi Mate. It seems more responsive.
post #3785 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 09:28 AM

What am I doing wrong?

My Moxi was installed 4 days ago after 3 trips to my home by the TWC contractor. Took them that many trips to actually show up with a multi-stream card and TA. All was working w/TA when he left. As a test I recorded a half dozen shows late Wed night and they are all there. The next day at lunch I got a "You do not subscribe to this channel..." message on all the channels which where shortly to disappear entirely from the channel list. I did the TA restart procedure (perhaps I did it three times, I can't remember after all that has transpired) and it began to work again.

Then Friday evening it was not working again. I called TWC and scheduled a tech visit for next Tuesday. Then I did the TA restart procedure several more times and suddenly it was working again. Saturday morning I called TWC and cancelled the tech visit.

It worked Friday evening but had failed again by Saturday at noon. Since then I have not been able to access the TA from the Moxi. It invariably says "No Tuning Adapter detected." when I check the diagnostis/Tuning Adapter screen.

I have tried three different USB cables just to eliminate a faulty cable as the cause.

I have REPEATEDLY tried the following rain dance to get it working.

1. Disconnect the USB cable.
2. Power down the TA by pulling the power cord.
3. Wait 30 seconds minimum (I have waited as long as 30 minutes) and re-apply power.
4. Watch as it blinks and wait until the green LED stays on solid.
5. Once a solid LED is lit, wait from 1 minute to as long as 1 hour to reconnect USB to Moxi.
6. Wait a while (10 minutes to several hours) and check to see if channels show up. They do not.
7. During step 6 the green LED on the TA stays lit continuously.
8. Usually I then check the diagnostics/TUning Adapter and find that yes indeed there is "No Tuning Adapter detected."

On the three occssions since Wednesday when it did work, the TA diagnostic screen was easily accessed. I did note that it has SARA v1.61.36.1 which apparently is older than the latest version. I've requested TWC to push a firmware update to my TA but I have no idea if/when that might happen. They indicated that when it is downloading the TA LED would flash 3 times, pause, and repeat.

After I give up on the TA working, I have subsequently tried doing a reset on the TA by using the button on the front. When I do this, it comes back up and begins a repeating cycle of 5 blinks, then on solid for three seconds, and then repeat ad infinitum. I left it overnight doing this but nothing improved. The tech support guy on the phone said that the 5 blinks mean that the TA is trying to pair up with the Moxi. Apparently my Moxi isn't wanting to connect... Or the TA is defective?

Am at the point where I'm growing concerned that if I keep pulling and inserting the power plug I might wear it out.

I put in a tech support request from Moxi - but got a standard reply which said to try all the things I have repeatedly tried already. Am growing a little unhappy with my choice of a Moxi. Had planned to spend the weekend getting the 2 Mates up and running. But why bother if this whole thing is destined to go back.

Is there anything I've missed in getting this to work? My Moxi is receiving a handful of standard channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, even ESPN). But I am missing perhaps a hundred or so HD channels that are there on my TWC DVR.
post #3786 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Liked: 11
Hawk,
I had problems at first too. It could be your CC needs to be reinitialized, and then refreshed.

But actually, it sounds like in your case it might be the TA. (I was missing most of the sd channels below 100)

When I had issues with the TA I did as you did, but I rebooted the Moxi at the same time. I pulled the usb, then pulled both power cords, then 30 sec later plugged the TA back in, then when the blinking went solid, plugged in the Moxis power and the usb.

Dave
post #3787 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk521 View Post

Is there anything I've missed in getting this to work? My Moxi is receiving a handful of standard channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, even ESPN). But I am missing perhaps a hundred or so HD channels that are there on my TWC DVR.

You've probably done everything you can. You can check your signal levels but I don't think that would make a difference if the TA is getting a signal lock.

Check your TA firmware too. Current one here is F.1001. Based on the fact you are using the very old resident App I would say that your firmware is out of date as well.

Based on your previous installation descriptions you might have been issued an old TA they had lying around that you can swap out for something more recent. Could be that Rural Hall is just using old boxes all over. In that case there isn't anything you can do. Your only choices then are to suffer through until they update their equipment or go back to the TWC DVR.

post #3788 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

Hawk,
I had problems at first too. It could be your CC needs to be reinitialized, and then refreshed.

But actually, it sounds like in your case it might be the TA. (I was missing most of the sd channels below 100)

What TA SARA App and firmware do you have?

post #3789 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 AM

I'm not sure where to find that info, but I have a motorola an MTR-700

Dave
post #3790 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

I'm not sure where to find that info, but I have a motorola an MTR-700

Lucky you.

You can find it in the Moxi diagnostics TA menu somewhere. It's not relevant in this case since you don't have the 1520 TA but it might be worth noting in the future if you encounter anther Moto box Moxi user with SDV issues.

post #3791 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 PM

thanks yes, I should remember that I'm in the minority I guess with all Motorola.

Dave
post #3792 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Oh and btw, I sometimes think the observation that a new update improves responsiveness to be wishfull thinking But I do notice the thing about "delete" it seems better and behaves a little differently, doesn't seem to get hung up.

Likewise, I notice on my setup, the Moxi button is more responsive too. It seems to me to work a little differently but I could be wrong as I've never worried so much about how it works, I just work with it
Dave
post #3793 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Any clue here?
1. Disconnected USB. Disconnected power from Moxi and TA.
2. Wait 2 minutes.
3. Reconnect power to Moxi and TA. USB remains disconnected.
4. Moxi finishes its bootup. TA eventually shows steady LED lamp.
5. At this point I attach the USB cable. TA immediatey starts blinking 5 times, on for three seconds, and repeat. It never stops this cycle.
6. The Moxi diagnostic says "No Tuning Adapter detected."

I am near the insane point - repeating steps I know do not work, hoping for a better outcome!

Seriously this is giving me a really bad taste of life with a Moxi and TA. Surely it can't be like this always. I'm putting in another call to TWC. Moxi tech support sent me a checklist of things to do - which I dutifully did (again) and still I remain at an impass with the TA.

Could it actually be the cablecard causing this?
post #3794 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:

try what I did. reconnect the TA only. Then when the TA shows a solid light, reconnect Moxi power and usb.

And I'm not sure but maybe the CC needs to be reinitialized, and refreshed. I'm no expert on this but I had a bunch of issues getting things working but eventually everything settled in.

Dave
post #3795 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

5. At this point I attach the USB cable. TA immediatey starts blinking 5 times, on for three seconds, and repeat. It never stops this cycle.

have you tried rebooting the Moxi at this point? I had to do the reboot dance in various configurations at the beginning of the year but if reports from the TiVo community are anything to go by then the App update and firmware update seems to have been partly responsible for fixing some of these issues. This problem hasn't been an issue for me either for a few months using the latest updates.

If you can view other subscription and digital channels with the TA disconnected than it probably isn't the card, but as one tech told me it's difficult to troubleshoot this sort of thing with so many devices in the chain now.

You can try yanking the card and then reinserting. That temporarily fixed issues with my previous problematic card but with that the channels still appeared in the guide, I just couldn't view them.

If it is the old TA software and firmware then you don't have any options to Navigator. You'll get a similar or worse experience with TiVo.

post #3796 of 6278 Old 08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
KzY

Quote:

Any clue here?
1. Disconnected USB. Disconnected power from Moxi and TA.
2. Wait 2 minutes.
4. Moxi finishes its bootup. TA eventually shows steady LED lamp.
6. The Moxi diagnostic says "No Tuning Adapter detected."

I am near the insane point - repeating steps I know do not work, hoping for a better outcome!

Seriously this is giving me a really bad taste of life with a Moxi and TA. Surely it can't be like this always. I'm putting in another call to TWC. Moxi tech support sent me a checklist of things to do - which I dutifully did (again) and still I remain at an impass with the TA.

Could it actually be the cablecard causing this?

You are doing everything right. At step 5, when you plug the USB cable in, the Moxi should immediately update it's channel list. The TA light should stay on and should not blink again.

Does the Moxi detect the cable card? There's a cable card menu that should give you info about the CC if it's detected correctly.
post #3797 of 6278 Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzY View Post

Does the Moxi detect the cable card? There's a cable card menu that should give you info about the CC if it's detected correctly.

The cablecard shows up okay. And as near as I can tell it looks okay.

The Moxi itself got an update over the weekend. Did not help things, but its nice to know it is current.

VISIONON - The SARA version is 1.61.36.1 and I relayed that info to Moxi and TWC. TWC seemed uninspired by my request that they update it to at least v1.61.41.1 as you suggested in an earlier post. My guess is that they grow weary of us 'customers' trying to help them do their jobs...which in the case of the Moxi is sad.

Around noon today TWC is coming out to see what they think is wrong. I'm hopeful that it will be an actual TWC tech this time. I'm told they use contractors primarily for intitial installs and TWC handles the trouble calls when necessary. I will say that they've been reasonably courteous on the phone - but clueless about what a Moxi is or what my problem might be. I suggested they have the tech bring a TA along just in case. But they say that TAs are scarce for some reason in this area. Will post a result when we get one.

FWIW, I have tried disconnecting the USB from each end alone, as well as taking it out completely and reinstalling a new one at the appropriate time. Still no go. I even tried this with the front USB port with a half dozen variations on the restart procedure.

Its time for TWC to fix this. I just hope the tech is as interested in fixing it as I am.
post #3798 of 6278 Old 08-16-2010, 05:29 AM

Question: Does the button on the front of the TA accomplish anything useful? It appears to turn the TA off/on - but is that equivalent to pulling the power cord? It would seem not - simply because it's functionality appears to be slightly delayed in that it doesn't turn the TA off immediately.

I've tried the button a few times to see if it brought any luck, but didn't seem to help anything.

Similarly, does the reset button on the Moxi do essentially the same as a power cycle reboot?

I saw some posts about a four finger restart or something along those lines? What is the purpose and how does one accomplish it correctly?
post #3799 of 6278 Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

I've recently ran into a couple of issues with the Moxi.

#1 I have been streaming files from my Windows XP based PC to the Moxi since purchase. Friday night when trying to stream, I get a Server Offline error. I'm using Windows Media Player as the DLNA client. I checked to make sure that WMP saw the Moxi & Mate...no problems. Made sure that the files were in the library and available for WMP to access. No problem there either. I am also using PlayOn to stream Netflix content. With the exception of starting a Netflix program, then stopping a second or two later (then going through those steps again to get it to play) the PlayOn server has/is performing okl. I would really like to be able to stream content again from the PC.

#2 This may have something to do with issue #1. Over the past five days, I've had to reset the Moxi appox. 4 times. Once because it locked and didn't unlock. Two other times was because the tuner(s) would not show any programming (black), when trying to type channel numbers in manually, they would not appear, although guide data was still populated. One of the times I had to reset, the "Moxi checking hard drive" took an extremely long time to complete (15-25 min.)

Could this recent shaky performance/activity have anything to do with the Windows Media Player server not working? I should also say that the streaming using Windows Media Player DLNA client had performed very well since we got the Moxi. I can't think of any change to the PC or network that would have caused this issue. With all of the stories about the Seagate hard drive failures in some Moxi's, I'm also concerned about a hard drive petering out.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?
I did submit a ticket to Moxi support this morning as well.

Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #3800 of 6278 Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM

TWC sent the same contractor out who had come last Tuesday without the cablecard or Tuning Adapter. He stayed about an hour on the phone and restarted the Moxi and TA several times. No luck getting the Moxi to even recognize that a TA was attached. He concluded that I need a new TA but told me they had no more in stock, and didn't know when they'd be getting any. He looked at me and asked what I wanted to do... I suggested he leave and let me call TWC myself.

I'll see if I can't get them to actually dispatch a TWC employee with a new TA in hand for the next appointment.

I tried to contact Moxi support while the tech was here, but an hour of trying didn't result in anything. He left while I was waiting hopefully for a telephone call that never came. The Moxi support chat feature seems to not be functional.

Am I having fun yet?
post #3801 of 6278 Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Am I having fun yet?

I feel your pain . . . I really do. Although I'll state up front that I've always been satisfied with the Moxi folks I've talked to on the phone & the local TWC techs who've showed up here.

Nonetheless . . . my two 3-tuner Moxis and two Mates were activated at the beginning of May, and I still don't have a fully functional setup :-(

One of the original Moxis was unable out of the box to receive streamed content from the other Moxi. It took an absolutely ridiculous amount of time and all kinds of moving equipment around for engineering to finally decide that there was a problem with the Moxi rather than with my network or TVs.

The replacement Moxi was delivered on June 24, and then there was waiting for TWC to get out and move the CC from the bad Moxi to the replacement on 6/30. All of this was complicated by the fact that by the time the replacement was finally sent, I was out-of-town for an extended period of time, and trying to talk the housesitter through things was . . . challenging.

Silly me -- it never occurred to me that when the equipment was delivered in late April that I'd still be screwing around with things TWO MONTHS later or else I'd have rescheduled my extended business trip.

In any case, things worked for almost three weeks before the second original Moxi & analog dongle went haywire on 7/22. After hours troubleshooting with Moxi over the phone, the decision was made that the CC had gone bad. More waiting for TWC to get out with a replacement, which didn't resolve the problem, nor did the three subsequent replacement CCs.

At that point, the problem went to the engineers, and I waited another week or so before nagging by phone; a replacement was authorized on 8/5 . . . and I'm still waiting.

So, out of the 3.5 months I've had this (expensive) equipment, the Moxi setup has worked as it should for three weeks. I'll chalk up a generous two weeks to waiting for TWC appointments. The other 2+ months I've been stuck with defective equipment rests squarely on Moxi's shoulders.

I really want to be in love with the Moxi setup because when/if it works as designed, it's way cool. Yeah, there are some minor annoyances and some not-so-minor annoyances (the inability to back up is a huge one IMO).

But given my experiences, I'm not in love yet. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping I'll be there soon.

Still Disappointed,
Saundra
post #3802 of 6278 Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can tell you (maybe) why you have not received your "replacement" as the Moxie's are "back ordered". I placed an order last week with the web site(s) showing "in stock" and the next day my order status was "back ordered" and the web site changed to "out of stock" (hopefully not because they have had to replace too many defective units out in the field).

Hopefully your experiences are a rare event but pretty sure they would not publish their track record. Not all of these vendors are an Oppo Digital.... (but all of them could take lessons....).
post #3803 of 6278 Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 PM

Wow, Saundra. Thanks for sharing that.

No one can sympathize with you more than I can, as I am on my 4th three-tuner Moxi since approx. 5 1/2 months ago. (Luckily, Moxi has come through with all the replacements of the failed units rather quickly.)

When my three-tuner Moxi works, I love it (even with it's many imperfections). But when it repeatedly fails...well, you know the rest.

I have had some freezes and spontaneous reboots with the Three-Tuner Moxi Number Four. So far, Engineering has not reported a cause. (I am hoping it was software related and that the latest software update will fix it.)
post #3804 of 6278 Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Potential problem upcoming for us Moxi users on Verizon FiOS.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/v...lecard-tuners/

Looks like Verizon is changing up their encryption scheme to support Motorola and Cisco STBs and the change will affect CableCard users. Supposedly TiVo has already updated but no mention of Moxi. I asked support today about this "Simulcrypt" rollout and all I got was:

"We'll be addressing this as soon as we have more information."

So I don't know what this means but it doesn't exactly give me a lot of faith. I guess we will see.
post #3805 of 6278 Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskube84 View Post

Looks like Verizon is changing up their encryption scheme to support Motorola and Cisco STBs and the change will affect CableCard users. Supposedly TiVo has already updated but no mention of Moxi.

I wouldn't worry about it. Arris makes Simulcrypt based devices that MSOs use, so if there's anyone who can issue a fix it's them.

post #3806 of 6278 Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 AM

Just a heads-up for anyone thinking about pulling the trigger on a Moxi, they seem to be shipping again. My 3-Tuner + 1 Mate bundle (ordered last Tuesday) shipped yesterday. The Moxi site also shows the units in stock.

Now that my Moxi is on the way, I'd like to say thank you to everyone here for all your input. Here's hoping the install goes smoothly. RIP to my ReplayTV boxes.

Maybe off topic, but a question... Does anyone know why Arris/Moxi is charging sales tax? The boxes are shipping from North Carolina. I'm in Texas which doesn't collect local tax unless the vendor has a "place of business" in the state. Usually that means a brick and mortar store though. I routinely buy from Amazon and don't pay sales tax on items that ship from warehouses that are within a 30 minute drive of me.
post #3807 of 6278 Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks htevolution,

Can you post your serial number? After reading this entire thread I'm now concerned about ordering one and getting one of the older ones.

Thanks,

Kerry
post #3808 of 6278 Old 08-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Apparently, my warranty replacement Moxi is due to be delivered tomorrow -- yay! I feel like a five-year-old on Christmas Eve

It seems to me I read somewhere in this very long thread of some instructions to help get CCs paired & activated (or whatever the proper terms are) & the proper sequence things need to be done in, but my search terms didn't help me find what I remember reading.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

My TWC tech told me that he was going to try to have our account notated so that when the new unit arrived, the TWC Call Center would appropriately direct my call so that we could see if we could get the CC working without yet another truck roll. Yeah, I know, and I'm not holding my breath that it will work, but I figure the more help I can provide, the better the odds are that I'll be fully functional tomorrow.

Worst case is I have to make a trip to the local cable office to schedule an appointment -- my trusty TWC tech told me that if I can't get it working over the phone to go to the local office rather than trying to schedule through the Call Center because he'll probably be able to swing by within a day or two rather than the week the Call Center will likely try to schedule.

TIA,
Saundra
post #3809 of 6278 Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post

It seems to me I read somewhere in this very long thread of some instructions to help get CCs paired & activated (or whatever the proper terms are) & the proper sequence things need to be done in, but my search terms didn't help me find what I remember reading.

Does it involve a TA or will you be escaping that? Without the TA it shouldn't be a very difficult procedure assuming they send you a working multistream card.

Didn't you have a card in your old box?

edit: ah, I just looked back. If you are sill using the analog dongle I have no idea how it will work out for you. Good luck!

How it usually works is:
- read card numbers to phone support
- insert card
- read card ID from onscreen prompt
- done

post #3810 of 6278 Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Does it involve a TA or will you be escaping that? Without the TA it shouldn't be a very difficult procedure assuming they send you a working multistream card.

Didn't you have a card in your old box?

edit: ah, I just looked back. If you are sill using the analog dongle I have no idea how it will work out for you. Good luck!

How it usually works is:
- read card numbers to phone support
- insert card
- read card ID from onscreen prompt
- done

Ahh . . . thanks VisionOn. I'm lucky -- no TA needed in this market. Yes, I've still got the last M CC, assuming it's functional, which is untested. The TWC tech was suspicious that if Moxi tech support was correct that something was shorted in the CC slot it might fry the CC, but that's an unknown at this point.

The TWC tech circled the correct CC S/N on the pages long paperwork he left with me because we went through four on that final day, although I see it's also on the card itself -- he said to be sure they read the s/n back to me because apparently there can be confusion when multiple CCs are on a single account.

I'm now very familiar with the screens, so that part shouldn't be a problem. And, the analog dongle really was plug & play -- the CC part was done first, and then the TWC tech was curious about the dongle, so we did that while he was here the first time, and he was impressed that it was instantly recognized by the Moxi, so I'm hoping it goes as well this time around
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page