Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #361 of 6314 Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any trick to getting the transport controls working with PlayOn? The new software update did add support for avi and mkv files, and they play fine, but I couldn't get the FF/REV, Skip/Replay or 15 minute Next/Back buttons on the remote to work. I really didn't look too closely at all the PlayOn settings though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6314 Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2020 View Post

Negatives:
Mate can not do anything that has to do with the tuners. You can not set up a recording you can't see the guide. About 5-15 seconds after i start recording a show it shows up in the recording guide. I haven't tried to get to the recording options yet from a recorded show but I believe that it is locked down.

I confirmed with Moxi (see response below) that live TV viewing and setting/managing recordings will be enabled later this year. Wish I had a approx date?? This is a important feature for me as 90% of my use of the Mate would just be needed for live TV since the HDTV in the second room doesn't have a internal tuner.

"This first release of the multi-room software will enable you to watch any of the content recorded on your Moxi HD DVR from the Moxi Mate as well as independently access any of the Internet Services. Live TV and setting/managing recordings is upcoming later in the year and would be provided at no charge.

Best regards,

The Moxi team"
post #363 of 6314 Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

I confirmed with Moxi (see response below) that live TV viewing and setting/managing recordings will be enabled later this year. Wish I had a approx date?? This is a important feature for me as 90% of my use of the Mate would just be needed for live TV since the HDTV in the second room doesn't have a internal tuner.

"This first release of the multi-room software will enable you to watch any of the content recorded on your Moxi HD DVR from the Moxi Mate as well as independently access any of the Internet Services. Live TV and setting/managing recordings is upcoming later in the year and would be provided at no charge.

Best regards,

The Moxi team"

I figured that they would update it, but when I asked about it they claimed that it was a cable company issue, and they "can't" do it until the cable companies allow them to. That would mean that until the cable companies decide to allow it it won't work indefinately. Personally I think its a software issue and they're just following the mantra if you can blame someone else for your problems do it.

I'm guessing we'll see the feature around March,April of next year.
post #364 of 6314 Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I figured that they would update it, but when I asked about it they claimed that it was a cable company issue, and they "can't" do it until the cable companies allow them to. That would mean that until the cable companies decide to allow it it won't work indefinately. Personally I think its a software issue and they're just following the mantra if you can blame someone else for your problems do it.

I hope it isn't the cable companies holding them back or we will never see that feature enabled. Windows Media Center can stream live TV to an extender, so I'm not quite sure why Moxi would use that excuse.
post #365 of 6314 Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Negatives:
Mate can not do anything that has to do with the tuners. You can not set up a recording you can't see the guide. About 5-15 seconds after i start recording a show it shows up in the recording guide. I haven't tried to get to the recording options yet from a recorded show but I believe that it is locked down.

I only got about an hour or so with it last night, and I'll try to give more input as I get a little more time with the unit. I did end up running cat5e cable throughout the house to network the moxi/mate/home pc together.

Am I reading this correctly that you cannot even see the guide of what's on TV through the Mate? That's a pretty big inconvenience.
post #366 of 6314 Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

Am I reading this correctly that you cannot even see the guide of what's on TV through the Mate? That's a pretty big inconvenience.

That's correct. At this time, there is no way to view the guide or scheduled recordings on the Moxi Mate.

A guide without the ability to view liveTV would probably just confuse users.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #367 of 6314 Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 AM

One other little quirk with the mate that bugs me is that when you choose a recording it defaults to start over. I was watching a movie yesterday, and during the day I normally watch a movie in segments since I don't have 2 straight hours to watch tv. I ended up starting over the movie 3 times and had to fast forward back to the spot I left off.

Another thing that the moxi and the mate can't do is sync a program where you can't start watching a show on the moxi, stop the show, and then start where you left off on the mate.
post #368 of 6314 Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:

One other little quirk with the mate that bugs me is that when you choose a recording it defaults to start over. I was watching a movie yesterday, and during the day I normally watch a movie in segments since I don't have 2 straight hours to watch tv. I ended up starting over the movie 3 times and had to fast forward back to the spot I left off.

Another thing that the moxi and the mate can't do is sync a program where you can't start watching a show on the moxi, stop the show, and then start where you left off on the mate.

open a support ticket with moxi maybe they will add it as a feature request in the next release.

considering how much they have added over the last six months in two big updates I would not be supprised to see another update in the fall.

John crawford

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #369 of 6314 Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 AM

I did make the comment to them but I also wanted to post it hear so if there are others may make the same comment and open a support ticket.
post #370 of 6314 Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Does streaming to the Moxi Mate result in any degradation of HD audio or video quality?

Is there any possibility of a new model Moxi with ATSC support?

ericlhyman
post #371 of 6314 Old 08-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Does the Moxi require 1 or 2 cable cards for Verizon FIOS? Does it allow FIOS on demand?

ericlhyman
post #372 of 6314 Old 08-16-2009, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlhyman View Post

Does streaming to the Moxi Mate result in any degradation of HD audio or video quality?

Provided your network connection is sufficient, there is no degradation.

Quote:

Moxi has no plans for ATSC support at this time.

Quote:

Does the Moxi require 1 or 2 cable cards for Verizon FIOS? Does it allow FIOS on demand?

The Moxi supports both tuners with a single M-CARD just like the TivoHD. In fact, the Moxi only has one CableCard slot so you must obtain a M-CARD to use both tuners with digital cable.

The Moxi does not support On Demand with any provider.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #373 of 6314 Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I just got my cable card installed last night and was able to tinker a little with the new moxi and the mate...

Positives:
Moxis interface
Seems to run smoother that the old moxi boxes.
Mate Displayed in HD
Playon - Watche a half a dozen old Southpark/Simpsons/Family Guy Episodes.
(Playon can show any show that hulu has and also has extra plugins ie
South Park)
Mate can use Playon

Negatives:

I only got about an hour or so with it last night, and I'll try to give more input as I get a little more time with the unit. I did end up running cat5e cable throughout the house to network the moxi/mate/home pc together.

What is PlayOn?
post #374 of 6314 Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

What is PlayOn?

Its an app for hardware that is connected to the internet. It works like an onDemand service. http://www.themediamall.com/playon is the website it is on. The software is normally $40 but with the moxi it is free (I'm not sure if this is an indefinate program or if it will end soon)

PlayOn allows you to watch Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, CNN, ESPN videos. Netflix, and Hulu seem to be the two best ones so far, CBS seems to be mostly clips, and ESPN has a few good segments but unless you only want to watch 1 clip sportcenter would probably be better. I haven't monkeyed with the YouTube but it doesn't appear to let you do a search, so I haven't found much use for it yet. There is a ton of content on Hulu but it can be a little intimidating to get to specific shows. I've found out if there is a show I may watch more than one of I can mark it as a favorite and all of those folders will show up in my favorites(you have to do it a second time on the mate as it wants to run as a seperate entity)
post #375 of 6314 Old 08-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Provided your network connection is sufficient, there is no degradation.

Moxi has no plans for ATSC support at this time.

The Moxi supports both tuners with a single M-CARD just like the TivoHD. In fact, the Moxi only has one CableCard slot so you must obtain a M-CARD to use both tuners with digital cable.

The Moxi does not support On Demand with any provider.

Thanks. Does the non-degradation apply to a wireless connection as well?

ericlhyman
post #376 of 6314 Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Moxi has never promised or even hinted at ATSC support.

It is possible however to manually set up standard-def recordings of ATSC OTA channels on Moxi using Moxi's analog dongle connected to a CECB. Recording ATSC through the dongle isn't as simple as setting up a recording from the EPG only, but is possible to do.

Zinwell's ZAT-970A and Dish's DTVPal Plus have VCR timers which change channels at preset times simplifying the process.
post #377 of 6314 Old 08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks. Does the non-degradation apply to a wireless connection as well?

A 802.11g network is not adequate. If you can maintain high-speed 802.11n connection without intermittent drops in throughput due to interference from other networks and devices, then yes.

With my older 802.11n router, throughput dropped significantly whenever I used the microwave, causing problems for MRV on my Tivos. I switched to MoCA (networking over coax) and am glad that I did. That said, newer 802.11n hardware using the 5.0GHz band should be subject to much less interference than older 2.4GHz equipment.

post #378 of 6314 Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 PM

So tommorrow (8/31) is the last day $999 promotion for the Moxi/Mate combo unless it is extended. For those using the Mates, what is your overall impression? I really want to see live TV feature enabled before I buy one. I do see on the FAQ that you can resume on the Mate where the left off on the Moxi. For some reason I was under the impression that you would have to manually FF and find where you left off.
post #379 of 6314 Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Too soon for me to tell you anything. I just set-up and registered Moxi Mate this morning.

If you can afford to, why not spring for it, see what you think, and return it within 30 days if you don't like it. It certainly was easy to set-up.
post #380 of 6314 Old 08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Are the mates available yet?

I ordered one about a month ago when I got the offer from Moxi but never heard anything since...
post #381 of 6314 Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Are the mates available yet?

I ordered one about a month ago when I got the offer from Moxi but never heard anything since...

I would contact Moxi about your order. Amazon has had the Mates in stock for over three weeks.
post #382 of 6314 Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 PM

fallingwater: I would be interested to hear your initial impressions of the Mate.....qaulity of streaming, responsiveness, features, etc.
post #383 of 6314 Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

So tommorrow (8/31) is the last day $999 promotion for the Moxi/Mate combo unless it is extended. For those using the Mates, what is your overall impression? I really want to see live TV feature enabled before I buy one. I do see on the FAQ that you can resume on the Mate where the left off on the Moxi. For some reason I was under the impression that you would have to manually FF and find where you left off.

So far I am happy with the mate. Not impressed but happy. First off you can stop watching a recorded show on your main moxi and then go to the mate and pick off where you left off. The downside is that on the mate the default option is to start over (which I have accidentally done way too many times).

Second the option to not be able to watch live tv is a big downside but I have noticed on that tv we don't watch as much live tv as we do on the main one.

Third I do have it wired with a cat5e connection so there isn't any picture degration, but I have noticed that it isn't as fluid as if I was watching it on the main moxi. If I try to fast forward it takes an extra second or two to kick in the same with stopping a fast forward. I have also noticed sometimes when I am fast forwarding the pictures don't keep up so when I stop the fast forward it jumps ahead a minute or two and I have to backtrack.

The PlayOn software I really enjoy and I have used that extensively. I just got into a Japanese Anime show called Naruto and I have watched the first 75 episodes on my tv through hulu that can be played through PlayOn.

There has been a couple of glitches with playon that I can expand upon later if someone wants me to.

I think with a couple of software updates the mate will become smoother and more responsive, and once that happens and watching live tv works it will be ready for primetime.

Its the same with most new hardware/software the early addopters tend to pay more, whether that be in money or lack of functionality. I'm guessing that even if this combo deal ends when they say it will they will have another deal sometime around Christmas.
post #384 of 6314 Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Second the option to not be able to watch recorded shows is a big downside but I have noticed on that tv we don't watch as much live tv as we do on the main one.

If you can't watch recorded shows on the mate, what *can* you do with it?
post #385 of 6314 Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you can't watch recorded shows on the mate, what *can* you do with it?

I think he misspoke. I assume he meant liveTV shows.

post #386 of 6314 Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 AM

I did misspeak. Sorry about that.
post #387 of 6314 Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 AM

Does anyone know if there is anyway to find out what Moxi's future road map is? Or is it a closely guarded secret? I am quite happy with my decision to go with Moxi but there are definitely a few additional features I would like to see.
post #388 of 6314 Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teal123 View Post

Does anyone know if there is anyway to find out what Moxi's future road map is? Or is it a closely guarded secret? I am quite happy with my decision to go with Moxi but there are definitely a few additional features I would like to see.

Here is a unofficial link to a 2009 roadmap. Moxi has promised continued updates.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/04...image-page/16/
post #389 of 6314 Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone with Comcast in an area that requires Scientific Atlantic equipment (8300) able to get an MCard? My CSR's say only SCards are available and I can't use Moxi with that

Thanks

Dan
post #390 of 6314 Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

Anyone with Comcast in an area that requires Scientific Atlantic equipment (8300) able to get an MCard? My CSR's say only SCards are available and I can't use Moxi with that

Comcast hasn't received anything but M-CARDs in more than a year. But they could be out of stock in your particular area.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page