2Likes

post #3991 of 6275 Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post

Just noticed something odd on my Mate. It's in a closet so I don't see it every day. It seems that none of the front panel light options in the Settings menu actually do anything. Setting the light to off doesn't even dim the light; neither does setting it to low. It seems to stay on the default high no matter what.

Hmmm . . . it works on both of my Mates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 6275 Old 09-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Zoomzoom22, I, too, enjoyed reading your rant. I was (still am) a hardcore ReplayTV person -we used five & are down to using three now with two Moxis & two Mates, and with the current Moxi limitations, I don't know that we'll ever be able to get lower.

While I've not experienced the network/connectivity issues you have, I think what frustrates me the most is that the Moxi is soo close to being perfect, but the areas where it lacks are pretty significant to me and there doesn't seem to be any interest in improving them.
post #3993 of 6275 Old 09-25-2010, 02:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post

Zoomzoom22, I, too, enjoyed reading your rant. I was (still am) a hardcore ReplayTV person -we used five & are down to using three now with two Moxis & two Mates, and with the current Moxi limitations, I don't know that we'll ever be able to get lower.

sslund, I use a three tuner Moxi, a two tuner Moxi, and two ReplayTV's. Those ReplayTV's have given me many years of great service. (I have had to replace the hard drives, of course, over the years.) But, as I have upgraded to two wonderful HD TV's and donated all of my old CRT's, I think it is time I say goodbye to the ReplayTV's. As you know, HDTV's often accentuate the poor quality of some of the analog signals.

I will miss the reliability of the ReplayTV's, of course, and I wish Moxi could find a way to be as reliable, and as loved.

What is making me finally give up the ReplayTV's is the fact that next month, Cox in my area will be offering the brand new Cisco 500GB DVR with multi-room streaming. The Cisco DVR's menu will be in widescreen, and the box is getting some good reviews. So, what I will do is use the Moxi's as QAM only (no cable card and no SDV adapter), and use the Cisco DVR, with a non-DVR Cisco box in the other room, to record any stations that are not free QAM.

I think it being just about 2011, perhaps single-tuner analog-only DVR's like ReplayTV when one has HD TV might just not cut it anymore. But again, I have to tip my hat to ReplayTV.
post #3994 of 6275 Old 09-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Some of my recordings on my two tuner Moxi seems to have some blips in the recording... like distortion were it jumps / is jumbled up?

Anyone else ever see this? Could it just be bad sectors on the hard drive or is a recording issue?
post #3995 of 6275 Old 09-25-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

sslund, I use a three tuner Moxi, a two tuner Moxi, and two ReplayTV's. Those ReplayTV's have given me many years of great service. (I have had to replace the hard drives, of course, over the years.) But, as I have upgraded to two wonderful HD TV's and donated all of my old CRT's, I think it is time I say goodbye to the ReplayTV's. As you know, HDTV's often accentuate the poor quality of some of the analog signals.

I will miss the reliability of the ReplayTV's, of course, and I wish Moxi could find a way to be as reliable, and as loved.

What is making me finally give up the ReplayTV's is the fact that next month, Cox in my area will be offering the brand new Cisco 500GB DVR with multi-room streaming. The Cisco DVR's menu will be in widescreen, and the box is getting some good reviews. So, what I will do is use the Moxi's as QAM only (no cable card and no SDV adapter), and use the Cisco DVR, with a non-DVR Cisco box in the other room, to record any stations that are not free QAM.

I think it being just about 2011, perhaps single-tuner analog-only DVR's like ReplayTV when one has HD TV might just not cut it anymore. But again, I have to tip my hat to ReplayTV.

Midas89, I agree with your points, and I'd love to be able to retire all my RTVs. Unfortunately, I live in an area where we still have quite a few analog only channels (although that's slowly decreasing), and at least once a week we'll record three or more analog channels at a time. We've got two analog dongles for the Moxis, but that leaves us short.

The real rubs, though, are the Moxis' limited storage even with external HHD and the inability to archive (for lack of a better word) recorded content. We have a huge (it's too embarassing to admit exactly how many TBs) collection of recorded shows & movies, and I'm not willing to give up the ability to continue to grow it. And, I've learned the hard way that it's foolish not to backup video files, so that's another significant drawback to the Moxis that would be inconsequential if the recorded content could be moved.

To be fair, I knew about those drawbacks before purchasing the Moxis. What I didn't grasp were all the other gripes & inconveniences (like, what good is online scheduling without the ability to program the recordings to start a minute early & end a minute early, and why on earth can't I program recordings to the other Moxi when the one I'm at is already busy, and incredibly sluggish menus at times, and, and).

It seemed to me that Moxis came closer (than Tivo) to fulfilling a true multi-room solution since we've got TWC, and TWC encrypts almost everything so you really can't watch something recorded on a Tivo in another room.

And, I do think I made the right purchasing decision . . . even it it means keeping some of our RTVs in service.

I think you're the one who called your Moxi relationship a love/hate one , and that's my situation as well, along with a good dose of frustration that the Moxi really is very, very close to being a perfect DVR.

Saundra
post #3996 of 6275 Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post

Some of my recordings on my two tuner Moxi seems to have some blips in the recording... like distortion were it jumps / is jumbled up?

Anyone else ever see this? Could it just be bad sectors on the hard drive or is a recording issue?

Well, without being able to see what you're seeing, I can say that I periodically get pixelization (sp?) that I think is attributable to the cable signal. I've got one channel where it happens more than on the others, but I have seen it infrequently on recordings from a variety of channels.

Could that be what you're seeing?
post #3997 of 6275 Old 09-26-2010, 01:41 AM

So very well articulated, Saundra. I agree with everything you wrote. I hope Moxi reads what you wrote above and finally (eventually?) makes those changes that will remove the "hate" from our love/hate feelings for the Moxi.
post #3998 of 6275 Old 09-26-2010, 02:26 AM

Anyone know when we can expect the Moxi Forum to be working. It's been showing:
Quote:

Sorry, the Moxi board is unavailable at the moment while we are testing some functionality.

We will be back soon... in the meantime check out our websites at www.moxi.com or www.arrisi.com

for over two months now.

Thanks,

Kerry
post #3999 of 6275 Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom22 View Post

This is funny to me. I come in here about every 3 or 4 weeks to read all the banter and this is ALWAYS what I read and/or observe:

zoomzoom22, Thanks for this. I've been away from my Moxi (and FiOS DVR) for 8 weeks due to extended vacation.

I came home to both of my FiOS DVRs acting weird, and the Moxi locked up. After rebooting everything - unplug was necessary for all - all was working fine.

The Moxi took a long time to come back to life (overnight, checking disk for a long time). Woke up early this morning, and Moxi was back working fine. Showed an update from mid-August, and last set of good recordings were made about a week ago, so something happened around Sept 18 or so to lock things up. I've got a UPS on everything, and my power monitor indicates no power failure while I was gone,

Anyway, thanks for the rant. It was a nice summary! this morning, I got caught up, reading all the posts since end of July. Whew.

I note one problem I experience occasionally that you did not dwell on, and mentioned by another user once or twice in the last 3 months - the period lockup/freeze where menus work, but channels don't change, and recordings won't play. Just a frozen video. I'm connected via HDMI to a Samsung, and saw mention of trying the video-out connection switch to unfreeze. I will try that te next time it occurs.

I've had the Moxi for about a year; it is a 2-tuner. I'm happy with it, though I wish it was a bit more responsive to the remote (fresh batteries helped me one time). I like the ability to play from DLNA server. I like Moxi's remote programming via the Internet - I lost this on my FiOS DVRs when Frontier took over from Verizon in my area.

Fortunately, no SDV in my market.

Looking to add a Mate to the mix; I use multi-room with FiOS, so expect even better from Moxi from what I read.

When I review all the issues, I have to wonder one thing: how do the Moxi/Arris employees and developers that have one of these Moxi boxes in their homes deal with the idiosyncrasies and issues that we normal users deal with? I do hope that many do share in the frustrations we experience occasionally, but are in a much better position to dealing with them!

Mike

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
-----------------------------------
post #4000 of 6275 Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Ok, I was told by Moxi my three tuner unit was showing signs of a hard drive problem (this will be my second time) and they gave me a RMA to return unit for a $80 repair fee.

I just happen to have a new empty DVR hard drive laying around and installed with the four finger press, hit Ok and the "install initiated..." screen comes up and the left led flashes but it just stays on this screen and doesn't appear to do anything. I waiting almost an hour and tried a second hard drive out and same thing. Am I doing something wrong? I read another poster saying it only took 20 minutes.

Also, is it a known fact that WD Green drives have a pause problem as both drives I am trying are the AVS green drives.
post #4001 of 6275 Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 AM

And yes it is hard wired to my network and working.
post #4002 of 6275 Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 AM

And yes it is hard wired to my network and working.
post #4003 of 6275 Old 09-27-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toille27 View Post

Ok, I was told by Moxi my three tuner unit was showing signs of a hard drive problem (this will be my second time) and they gave me a RMA to return unit for a $80 repair fee.

I just happen to have a new empty DVR hard drive laying around and installed with the four finger press, hit Ok and the "install initiated..." screen comes up and the left led flashes but it just stays on this screen and doesn't appear to do anything. I waiting almost an hour and tried a second hard drive out and same thing. Am I doing something wrong? I read another poster saying it only took 20 minutes.

Also, is it a known fact that WD Green drives have a pause problem as both drives I am trying are the AVS green drives.

Toille27, make sure your router is set to DHCP.

Unplug the electricity from your router.

Unplug the electricity from the Moxi.

Also, put the Ethernet cable into the router into an alternate port than the one you tried.

Plug the electricity back into your router. Wait 30 seconds.

Now try plugging the electricity into the Moxi and doing the Four-Finger Press.

I can tell you absolutely that the WD AV Green Drive 500GB Single Platter works flawlessly on a two-tuner Moxi.

If I was replacing a hard drive in a three-tuner Moxi, where all three tuners are constantly writing to the drive, of course, I would not choose a WD AV Green Drive.
post #4004 of 6275 Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Toille27, make sure your router is set to DHCP.

Unplug the electricity from your router.

Unplug the electricity from the Moxi.

Also, put the Ethernet cable into the router into an alternate port than the one you tried.

Plug the electricity back into your router. Wait 30 seconds.

Now try plugging the electricity into the Moxi and doing the Four-Finger Press.

I can tell you absolutely that the WD AV Green Drive 500GB Single Platter works flawlessly on a two-tuner Moxi.

If I was replacing a hard drive in a three-tuner Moxi, where all three tuners are constantly writing to the drive, of course, I would not choose a WD AV Green Drive.

Just tried this and it is now doing the install, thanks so much! Sorry if this was posted earlier.

What replacement drives have people had success with for the three tuner model?
post #4005 of 6275 Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Is the cable card pairing information stored on the HD like it is on a TiVo?
post #4006 of 6275 Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toille27 View Post

Just tried this and it is now doing the install, thanks so much! Sorry if this was posted earlier.

What replacement drives have people had success with for the three tuner model?

I know someone who put this drive, the WD WD6402AAE

h t t p:// t i n y u r l (dot) com/2bpx2dc

...into a three tuner Moxi with success. But of course, it all depends on one getting lucky to not get a defective drive in the first place. Every single hard drive released today has a percentage of them returned as defective not too long after delivery, as everyone is painfully aware.

The drive I am quoting here has a 5-year-warranty, but it only has 640GB's. (Some people don't really desire more than 60-70 hours of HD recording capability. For those that do, this drive comes in higher capacities, as I am sure you already know.)
post #4007 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I know someone who put this drive, the WD WD6402AAE

h t t p:// t i n y u r l (dot) com/2bpx2dc

...into a three tuner Moxi with success. But of course, it all depends on one getting lucky to not get a defective drive in the first place. Every single hard drive released today has a percentage of them returned as defective not too long after delivery, as everyone is painfully aware.

The drive I am quoting here has a 5-year-warranty, but it only has 640GB's. (Some people don't really desire more than 60-70 hours of HD recording capability. For those that do, this drive comes in higher capacities, as I am sure you already know.)

I can highly recommend the Western Digital Caviar Black Series HDDs, I have Six and Two are used solely as DVR eSATA Expanders, spinning 24/7.
They do get a bit warm-hot, spinning 24/7, without a heat-sink, if you can fit one in do it.
But inside a DVR that will shut down the drive when not in use it shouldn't be a problem.

I have the following 6 WD Caviar Blacks:
1 - WD Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
1 - WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
3 - WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
1 - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #4008 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 04:53 AM

The TV my Moxi Mate is connected to via HDMI often on power-on does not detect a signal from the Mate. I have to then hit Moxi Guide and then toggle TV power to get the video to display. Is anyone else having this issue? Maybe I will try component.
post #4009 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 AM

Not that I watch youtube much on the Moxi, but now it quite often complains about an old version of Flash. Will Moxi update the Flash version?
post #4010 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

But inside a DVR that will shut down the drive when not in use it shouldn't be a problem.

I was under the impression that the Moxi was always recording and that the hard drives never shut down.
post #4011 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can we unhook USB exterior drive and then put on another to get more space? Can you then swap usb drives to access older programs?
post #4012 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

Can we unhook USB exterior drive and then put on another to get more space? Can you then swap usb drives to access older programs?

Yes. You can do this... BUT.. you do not have an option of specify where the recordings go.. nor does the MOXI unit tell you.

So if you unhook the exterior drive you might remove a program you want to watch.
post #4013 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Yes. You can do this... BUT.. you do not have an option of specify where the recordings go.. nor does the MOXI unit tell you.

So if you unhook the exterior drive you might remove a program you want to watch.

what are you talking about? are you referring to putting recorded content onto a usb drive because if so that isn't possible.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #4014 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

no this is not possible, the only external drive that extends the overal recording space is via the eSATA drive, which you can't swap around.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #4015 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickmiles View Post

I was under the impression that the Moxi was always recording and that the hard drives never shut down.

your correct, the device is constantly on, in a low power state when not recording.

post #4016 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

Not that I watch youtube much on the Moxi, but now it quite often complains about an old version of Flash. Will Moxi update the Flash version?

Doesn't use flash, it transcodes the youtube video to mpeg4

post #4017 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

The TV my Moxi Mate is connected to via HDMI often on power-on does not detect a signal from the Mate. I have to then hit Moxi Guide and then toggle TV power to get the video to display. Is anyone else having this issue? Maybe I will try component.

I haven't had that issue with my Mates. It could be a tv specific problem. what type of tv do you use.

post #4018 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmihalik View Post

zoomzoom22, Thanks for this. I've been away from my Moxi (and FiOS DVR) for 8 weeks due to extended vacation.

I came home to both of my FiOS DVRs acting weird, and the Moxi locked up. After rebooting everything - unplug was necessary for all - all was working fine.

The Moxi took a long time to come back to life (overnight, checking disk for a long time). Woke up early this morning, and Moxi was back working fine. Showed an update from mid-August, and last set of good recordings were made about a week ago, so something happened around Sept 18 or so to lock things up. I've got a UPS on everything, and my power monitor indicates no power failure while I was gone,

Anyway, thanks for the rant. It was a nice summary! this morning, I got caught up, reading all the posts since end of July. Whew.

I note one problem I experience occasionally that you did not dwell on, and mentioned by another user once or twice in the last 3 months - the period lockup/freeze where menus work, but channels don't change, and recordings won't play. Just a frozen video. I'm connected via HDMI to a Samsung, and saw mention of trying the video-out connection switch to unfreeze. I will try that te next time it occurs.

I've had the Moxi for about a year; it is a 2-tuner. I'm happy with it, though I wish it was a bit more responsive to the remote (fresh batteries helped me one time). I like the ability to play from DLNA server. I like Moxi's remote programming via the Internet - I lost this on my FiOS DVRs when Frontier took over from Verizon in my area.

Fortunately, no SDV in my market.

Looking to add a Mate to the mix; I use multi-room with FiOS, so expect even better from Moxi from what I read.

When I review all the issues, I have to wonder one thing: how do the Moxi/Arris employees and developers that have one of these Moxi boxes in their homes deal with the idiosyncrasies and issues that we normal users deal with? I do hope that many do share in the frustrations we experience occasionally, but are in a much better position to dealing with them!

Mike

We do, and yeah its a pain sometimes, which is why we're able to relate to the customers when somethings not working the right way.

post #4019 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:

So very well articulated, Saundra. I agree with everything you wrote. I hope Moxi reads what you wrote above and finally (eventually?) makes those changes that will remove the "hate" from our love/hate feelings for the Moxi.

and
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKerry View Post

Anyone know when we can expect the Moxi Forum to be working. It's been showing:

for over two months now.

Thanks,

Kerry

All I can say is its in the works, i apologize for the inconvenience.

post #4020 of 6275 Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post

Most likely its an issue with your provider, check the SNR and signal levels, if it occurs during live programs, then you'd know its not just with recordings and appropriate actions to be taken.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page