post #4531 of 6304 Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'm using the Samsung C6900 which streams NFLX, Blockbuster, Vudu, CinemaNow, Hulu+, YouTube and various other apps. The PC network streaming is not DLNA but there is some functionality. Those features are on most Samsung devices now.

Most new Blu-ray players are offering streaming services now (even the new Oppo 93) so nearly all of them would give you Netflix but if you want to watch pay movies then Vudu is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Then of course there's the PS3. If you can get beyond the lack of IR for remotes it plays PC content as well as packing Blu-ray and multiple streaming video services.

If you want to buy a streaming player I would find the player you like first, some streaming options will most likely be included in whatever you choose anyway.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149

It really is ridiculous that Moxi is becoming the only media device on the market now without any built-in VOD service. When you look at the device list for Netflix nearly every consumer entertainment electronics brand is on board.

The PS3 sounds interesting, I have no real interest in gaming, but it supports netflix, hulu and various other online services and it also supports network shares, correct?(most of my videos are in h264 in a ts container)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 6304 Old 01-15-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

The PS3 sounds interesting, I have no real interest in gaming, but it supports netflix, hulu and various other online services and it also supports network shares, correct?(most of my videos are in h264 in a ts container)

I've streamed a lot of content to my PS3 both natively and with Tversity. You would have to check on the latest file format support in the Blu-ray thread or somewhere else because it's been a while since I've used that feature. There's an official list here but specs don't automatically translate to success.

The lack of IR issue is pretty big hassle in a home theater system. You'll need to buy a separate IR dongle and have it lying around or buy the PS3 bluetooth remote which is as bad as remote designs get.

post #4533 of 6304 Old 01-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I spoke too soon; probably jinxed my Moxi. . .

A few months ago, I replaced my 2-tuner Moxi's original 500GB HDD with a replacement Seagate 1.5TB LP HDD. All was well until last night, when a new problem developed.

Last night, was recording two programs simultaneously, and when we went to watch one of them last night, there were glitches in the first few minutes of the movie. Eventually this cleared up, and all was well for the rest of the movie.

This morning, I had scheduled again two programs to record at the same time, and neither program was watchable:
- one program stopped recording after about 35 minutes; the other completed for the full 60 minutes. Both were 60 minute programs
- both appeared to have playback problems -- every 3 seconds, there was a burst of macroblocking, and the recording "skipped" a second or two. Of course, this was not pleasant to watch

My thought as to cause: something is amiss when two programs are recording at the same time - it could be that part of the disk isn't fast enough. I have recordings for later this morning, where there will only be recording of one program at a time; I'll see how that goes.

Past recordings (prior to last night) on the HDD are OK, and playback OK.

The Moxi is only 42% full since I replaced the HDD.

Anyone experience this with their Moxi after replacing their HDD?

Mike

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
post #4534 of 6304 Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmihalik View Post

If you connect your HDTV to Moxi via Component rather than HDMI, there is a relatively low-cost way of transfering your HD recordings to a computer for archiving and other uses.

Take a look at the Hauppauge HD-DVR, which converts component input HD video to H.264. there are several other threads about this device here on the AVSforum. The small device is inserted between the Moxi (or cable box) and your HDTV component inputs. It works rather well, and can also be connected to a Windows Media Center PC as an alternative. This of course uses the analog loophole which will begin to disappear in new devices sold starting in 2011.

The HD-DVR connects via USB 2.0 to a required Windows computer.

While the current model is an external box, Hauppauge recently announced a PCI-Express card that performs similarly. AVERmedia also has a similar card, but uses different software. the forumms also discus this device a bit.

And for you Mac users, El Gato has EyeTV which permits using the Hauppauge with an Intel based Mac running OS X. El Gato also has a complete solution with their own hardware which is quite similar to the HD-DVR.

Slingbox won't record, only stream, so not really a solution.

Monsoon's box (Vulcano? as well as earlier renditions) also supposedly will record from component, but my early experience was not too satisfying).

Mike, I really appreciate the response & suggestions & realize I'm running afield of asking just about the Moxi box. Am I correctly understanding that you've successfully used the Hauppauge HD-DVR with your Moxi? As usual, I'm over my head in understanding or even grasping the technical aspects of what it is I want to be able to do The ability to do this (move recorded content to my PC & then to my NAS) was just so dang easy with my ReplayTVs that I never had to understand much -- I could just do it.

One probably obvious question, if you don't mind, that didn't occur to me until I started looking at the the Hauppauge HD-DVR & also the Black-Magic: these things require one to have a computer nearby, yes, since the connection is USB? That is, you can't connect them to a computer in another room via Ethernet, can you? Or, is my limited understanding making me ask a stupid question?

I mentioned Slingbox because Moxi mentioned it in their FAQ Which reminded me that that at some point & for some reason I can't recall, someone suggested using Slingbox to get recorded video to my 'puter to capture or record (not sure of the correct term) & make available to all the computers in my LAN from my NAS. I'm pretty sure it was after I got into RTVs, so I can't remember the context . . . maybe it was a method to get stuff recorded on the HDD of my non-networked standalone old Pioneer DVR to my PC.

It's interesting -- or perhaps discouraging -- to me that while Moxi addresses my need in the FAQ, they don't provide detailed info nor does it seem that any(?) users here are successfully accomplishing it. I recall one person (a teacher, IIRC) talking about using a standalone DVD recorder with the Moxi, but it required changing the Moxi's TV setup to 480 before recording, which didn't sound very appealing to me. Plus, burning to a DVD & then capturing/recording the DVD in real time on my PC to get it to my NAS seemed . . . very convoluted & burdensome.
post #4535 of 6304 Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Could not log into the Moxi web site - getting "internal error" and nothing else...

Anyone else having the same issue during this time frame (now)?????
post #4536 of 6304 Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

Could not log into the Moxi web site - getting "internal error" and nothing else...

Anyone else having the same issue during this time frame (now)?????

Not working here either! What did you do?

Maybe they are upgrading the site?

More likely it's just broken at their end.

post #4537 of 6304 Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Well, if I had done anything I certainly would not draw attention to it!!!

Good to know that it was just not my account having issues.... Thanks.
post #4538 of 6304 Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 PM

A few answers:
  1. If you want to use a DVD Recorder to record the output of the Moxi:
    - If you have your Moxi set to use the HDMI out, you won't get any output on the component connections
    - you can use use the composite video output of the Moxi to connect you DVD Recorder; for best video comatibility, set the output to 480i. DVD Recorders can only usually record 480i.
    - I happen to have a DVD Recorder that also has Component inputs but still limited to 480i
    - you can record using the Moxi set to 720p or 1080i or 480i; just need to set the output to 480i only when you wish to record the Moxi out to your DVD recorder.
    - a nice capability of the FiOS/Motorola DVR is that it can output HD 720p or 1080i simultaneously to the component outputs while the composite outputs provide a 480i signal. I haven't checked if the Moxi will do the same.
  2. if you want to record using the HD-DVR, it will record in 720p or 1080i. Again, you must use component out, not HDMI.
    - output of the Moxi is set to 720p or 1080i, and is connected to the HD-DVR. Output of the HD-DVR is connected to the Compoent inputs of your HDTV; also, separately, the L/R audio output of the Moxi goes to the L/R audio input of the HD-DVR, and the L/R audio of the HD-DVR goes to the L/R audio input of your HDTV.
    - I don't have any experience recording digital audio, so I won't mention it, though the HD-DVR has this capability, too.
    - I have a small low-profile/slim dual core computer running Win7, so USB connection is quite easy. Have also recorded previously using a Vista and Win7 laptop. You may find that recording 720p is a bit more reliable with some computers due to the lower data rate.
    - I also have a hardwired network connection nearby, with an 8-port switch for the various devices connected to my HDTV.
  3. was able to login to website on Saturday; not today.

M2 in OR
post #4539 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

My mates cannot see any recordings or channels on the main 3-tuner unit. I tried re-setting one unit last night, and then I tried to log on to check the status of the devices, and found the internal error message.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4540 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Same here. Internal Error

Arris is closed for the holidays...
post #4541 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Same here. Internal Error

Arris is closed for the holidays...

I wasn't able to get in all weekend. I am able to get in now. Hopefully it is up for everyone now.
post #4542 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Working now.. Thanks for the heads up.
post #4543 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
My mates cannot see any recordings or channels on the main 3-tuner unit. I tried re-setting one unit last night, and then I tried to log on to check the status of the devices, and found the internal error message.

Mark
My mates were still not seeing the Moxi after their site was up, so I reset the main unit, and now its working. I wonder if that was a coincidence that their site was down and my mates did not work.

Mark

post #4544 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenik View Post

Very easy. Go to Wikipedia or other source and read up on what each RAID mode does. Without setting off a war, you really only need to read RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 5.

And to simplify ...

Thanks for the synopsis - I'll read up...
post #4545 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Glad I just saw this. It's probably not your Mates. I just got a new Mate this weekend (first one) and couldn't register it until earlier today due to their site being down yesterday. It's now registered, but I cannot see any recorded content from my DVR or watch any live tv. I can use internet services so I know the network connectivity is fine. I thought I had a bad unit, but I guess this has still something to do with their problems from the weekend. I had already tried reseting both units, but with no luck. What order did you do your reset?

Thanks.

Jeff
post #4546 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I've streamed a lot of content to my PS3 both natively and with Tversity. You would have to check on the latest file format support in the Blu-ray thread or somewhere else because it's been a while since I've used that feature. There's an official list here but specs don't automatically translate to success.

The lack of IR issue is pretty big hassle in a home theater system. You'll need to buy a separate IR dongle and have it lying around or buy the PS3 bluetooth remote which is as bad as remote designs get.

Logitech also makes (a pricier) adapter if you have a Harmony remote. Engadget review below.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/19/l...-ps3-reviewed/
post #4547 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 PM

I'm just curious of others' experiences streaming from DLNA servers. Some observations:

1. If I encode to mkv in handbrake the Moxi can see the files
2. If I encode to m4v in handbrake the Moxi can NOT see the files
3. Of course, as others have noted, transport controls are wonky, but in general the 15min jump (using "next') and 30sec jump ("jump") work, but;
4. When streaming, the navigation bar doesn't indicate anything... it's basically useless... shows 00:00 all the time. This is particularly frustrating because every mp4 player I've ever seen (sold in the US or in the markets in Asia) don't have this issue.
5. It take a long time for the Moxi to refresh DLNA folders. When I move new files in, it can sometimes take a couple of days for the moxi to see them. Also, the various units (main + 2 mates) seem to become aware of new files at different times. I've also seen one folder show up off my root directory that I moved many weeks (months?) ago.

So... my observations aside... 2 questions:
1. Has anyone been able to get it to work with m4v files. This would be nice as I could use the same encoded files with the Moxi and my apple products. Yes... I could use vlc to play back mkv files, but it's an extra hoop to load that up.
2. Does anyone know how to force the Moxi to refresh a DLNA directory.
post #4548 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by danziru View Post

I'm just curious of others' experiences streaming from DLNA servers. Some observations:

1. If I encode to mkv in handbrake the Moxi can see the files
2. If I encode to m4v in handbrake the Moxi can NOT see the files
3. Of course, as others have noted, transport controls are wonky, but in general the 15min jump (using "next') and 30sec jump ("jump") work, but;
4. When streaming, the navigation bar doesn't indicate anything... it's basically useless... shows 00:00 all the time. This is particularly frustrating because every mp4 player I've ever seen (sold in the US or in the markets in Asia) don't have this issue.
5. It take a long time for the Moxi to refresh DLNA folders. When I move new files in, it can sometimes take a couple of days for the moxi to see them. Also, the various units (main + 2 mates) seem to become aware of new files at different times. I've also seen one folder show up off my root directory that I moved many weeks (months?) ago.

So... my observations aside... 2 questions:
1. Has anyone been able to get it to work with m4v files. This would be nice as I could use the same encoded files with the Moxi and my apple products. Yes... I could use vlc to play back mkv files, but it's an extra hoop to load that up.
2. Does anyone know how to force the Moxi to refresh a DLNA directory.

don't know if it's feasible, but from my understanding you can rename m4v to mp4 and they are the same thing, and then the moxi will play them.

On windows 7 I've noticed if I move files into a playlist instead of just a shared directory, that it will pick up much quicker, especially if you move the position of the new file around a bit in the playlist, it seems to pick up most of the new additions rather quickly, some almost instantaneously.
post #4549 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis View Post

Glad I just saw this. It's probably not your Mates. I just got a new Mate this weekend (first one) and couldn't register it until earlier today due to their site being down yesterday. It's now registered, but I cannot see any recorded content from my DVR or watch any live tv. I can use internet services so I know the network connectivity is fine. I thought I had a bad unit, but I guess this has still something to do with their problems from the weekend. I had already tried reseting both units, but with no luck. What order did you do your reset?

Thanks.

Jeff

I had a similar situation where the Mate could not "find" the main unit even though the Mate could see other devices (like my DLNA server) on the network. I had to reboot both the main and Mate to acquire new IPs and get them to see each other.....

I had one other issue several months later after a power outage and to resolve that I had to reboot my modem/router then both Moxi units before all was fine again.

YMMV.
post #4550 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post

Well, after working more or less perfectly for 6 months, over the past month my Moxi has started exhibiting all kinds of strange behavior. "Diagnostics" are pretty much useless, is there any way I can easily tell if it's the HDD vs something else? On my old Tivo I would telnet in and look at the kernel log, but...

Symptoms include:

- main unit (3 tuner) hanging/freezing, need to press reset to recover.
- unable to stream to mates, main unit seems ok (although sometimes it later hangs). resetting the mates does not help, resetting the main unit usually fixes things
- severe stuttering during playback (repeatedly skips 8-10s at a time)
- "no signal detected" or "you do not receive this channel" messages.
- just now, after a hang + reset, it spent a much longer time than usual on "checking your hard drive"... which has me nervous.

hard to know what to suspect from those symptoms; initially i suspected a cable/cablecard issue. the hanging problems have only started recently, now i probably have to reset it 3-4 times a week, which certainly seems like a hardware problem. if i knew for sure it was the HDD i'd replace it myself, but obviously if it's something else i'll have to send it in and would like at least the "parts" part of the warranty to still be valid.

definitely this does not make me happy, and my wife is even unhappier. despite my complaints with about the interface, the functionality itself had been pretty bulletproof until recently, which made me stick with it.

Todd, did you ever find any resolution to your problems?

I've started seeing the same symptoms in my 3-tuner... that's also just under six months old.

I got the no signal/you do not subscribe message for the first time tonight. Like you, I expected a TA or CableCard problem. The Moxi diagnostics made everything look fine in that respect though.

Twice last week, the Moxi locked up. Resets hung (or looped) at the initial Moxi splash screen. Pulling the power altogether finally got it to reboot and work normally for a time, at least. Tonight, a reset after the no signal message sat on the checking hard drive screen for a good 20 minutes before starting up.

Everything is working now, but I'm not confident it will last long. Is this a HDD problem or something else?
post #4551 of 6304 Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

don't know if it's feasible, but from my understanding you can rename m4v to mp4 and they are the same thing, and then the moxi will play them.

On windows 7 I've noticed if I move files into a playlist instead of just a shared directory, that it will pick up much quicker, especially if you move the position of the new file around a bit in the playlist, it seems to pick up most of the new additions rather quickly, some almost instantaneously.

Thanks for the file rename tip. That's kind of awesome and sad at the same time. Anyhow, I'll definitely give it a try.

I'm using a D-link NAS box as my DLNA server, so I won't be able to try the Win7 tip. I wonder why it makes a difference which box is serving it. I have other devices that pick up on the changes immediately (PS3, and a great iphone app called airplayer).
post #4552 of 6304 Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post

Todd, did you ever find any resolution to your problems?

I've started seeing the same symptoms in my 3-tuner... that's also just under six months old.

I got the no signal/you do not subscribe message for the first time tonight. Like you, I expected a TA or CableCard problem. The Moxi diagnostics made everything look fine in that respect though.

Twice last week, the Moxi locked up. Resets hung (or looped) at the initial Moxi splash screen. Pulling the power altogether finally got it to reboot and work normally for a time, at least. Tonight, a reset after the no signal message sat on the checking hard drive screen for a good 20 minutes before starting up.

Everything is working now, but I'm not confident it will last long. Is this a HDD problem or something else?

By coincidence and perhaps related, my 2-tuner Moxi was quite weird last night, too. My first sign of trouble was it was set to record two simultaneous programs last night, and both were black screens with no sound. I stopped the recording, and tried to tune manually to different channels. Past records showed fine, but I was unable to tune to any channel, getting the "you are not subscribed" message after a bit.

Tried simple reset - no luck; after a minute or so of "checking hard drive" screen went dark, and I gave up after 5-10 minutes of nothing.

Unplugged for a few minutes, and same occurred - checked disk for a few minutes then dark screen' again giving up after a few minutes, though I could hear disk activity.

So I unplugged the Cable Card, then unplugged Moxi for a few minutes, then replugged power without Cable Card installed. Got checking disk screen, and then finally a "Moxi starting up progress bar"; Moxi eventually came back to life but channel list was only the mucked up, showing channel.1 (ie 2.1, 5., 550.1) and only in the clear channels.

Unplugged power, reinserted cable card, and powered unit up again. Again Moxi eventually came back to life, but none of the encrypted channels would show - getting the you are not subscribed screen.

Called Frontier (ex Verizon FiOS), and after an extended call lasting approx 20-30 minutes and providing Cable Card info, they re-paired the Cable Card to my Moxi, and it came back to life with all the expected channels.

Cause: Could it be related to the Moxi/Arris server issue over the weekend? Or perhaps my contract renewal yesterday with Frontier?

In the end, it was quite the scare, as I contemplated the "dead" Moxi for about an hour last night. Thankfully, full operation was restored, with all my previous recordigs still intact.

Mike

M2 in OR
post #4553 of 6304 Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danziru View Post

Thanks for the file rename tip. That's kind of awesome and sad at the same time. Anyhow, I'll definitely give it a try.

I'm using a D-link NAS box as my DLNA server, so I won't be able to try the Win7 tip. I wonder why it makes a difference which box is serving it. I have other devices that pick up on the changes immediately (PS3, and a great iphone app called airplayer).

One problem I have with streaming is that if I have Dolby Digital output on, I get no sound from my encoded files. I get 2 channel sound with stereo output on my mates and I get the full dolby digital track on my apple tv but no dolby digital or any sound through Moxi with dolby digital output turned on.
-Evangelo2

XBox/PS3/Steam/Origin ID:Evangelo2
post #4554 of 6304 Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 AM

I am sorry if this has been posted before but I am have been googleing around for a bit and I can't seem to find an answer. I have a Moxi DVR, and I am looking to play video over my home network from my Windows Home Server. When I go to the media link I can see the WHS from within the Moxi menu screen, but every time I click on it I get an error not authoroized (3301) caused by DLNA server returning "Not Authorized" Server error code = 801 PERR = PFAIL_NOAUTH

Now I can use a PS3/xbox/other PC to play video without any problems. I have even spoken to moxi tech support and they say there is nothing to configure on my moxi in order to get this to work, the only problem would have to be on the WHS side. Is there something I need to configure on my WHS or it just not possible to get this video playback from WHS without using third party software like playon or twonky media player?
post #4555 of 6304 Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOSkillio View Post

Is there something I need to configure on my WHS or it just not possible to get this video playback from WHS without using third party software like playon or twonky media player?

It is much easier to run media server on your WHS, I never tried it without one. I used Twonky but eventually built an HTPC because it had more power, and I have installed several media servers on it (XBMC, Playon, PS3 Media Server, Media Center 15) - it's kind of my lab.
post #4556 of 6304 Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 PM

If anyone is curious:

As we all know, Moxi uses the Seagate Pipeline 500GB ST3500312CS Hard Drive in the two and three tuner units.

Seagate is still manufacturing this specific model number, although they have changed the drive. I purchased a new one for about $50 and the date code converts to November 2010. (The Seagate ST3500312CS factory drive that originally came in one of my two-tuner Moxi's was date coded Sept. 30, 2008.) And, the new drives are thinner and much lighter in weight. Seagate switched the 500GB ST3500312CS to a single platter drive.
post #4557 of 6304 Old 01-19-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmihalik View Post

By coincidence and perhaps related, my 2-tuner Moxi was quite weird last night, too. My first sign of trouble was it was set to record two simultaneous programs last night, and both were black screens with no sound. I stopped the recording, and tried to tune manually to different channels. Past records showed fine, but I was unable to tune to any channel, getting the "you are not subscribed" message after a bit.

Tried simple reset - no luck; after a minute or so of "checking hard drive" screen went dark, and I gave up after 5-10 minutes of nothing.

Unplugged for a few minutes, and same occurred - checked disk for a few minutes then dark screen' again giving up after a few minutes, though I could hear disk activity.

So I unplugged the Cable Card, then unplugged Moxi for a few minutes, then replugged power without Cable Card installed. Got checking disk screen, and then finally a "Moxi starting up progress bar"; Moxi eventually came back to life but channel list was only the mucked up, showing channel.1 (ie 2.1, 5., 550.1) and only in the clear channels.

Unplugged power, reinserted cable card, and powered unit up again. Again Moxi eventually came back to life, but none of the encrypted channels would show - getting the you are not subscribed screen.

Called Frontier (ex Verizon FiOS), and after an extended call lasting approx 20-30 minutes and providing Cable Card info, they re-paired the Cable Card to my Moxi, and it came back to life with all the expected channels.

Cause: Could it be related to the Moxi/Arris server issue over the weekend? Or perhaps my contract renewal yesterday with Frontier?

In the end, it was quite the scare, as I contemplated the "dead" Moxi for about an hour last night. Thankfully, full operation was restored, with all my previous recordigs still intact.

Mike

My situation took a strange twist last night. I'm really confused now. What I suspected was a failing hard drive now seems like it could be a tuner issue (or maybe CableCard?).

I've had intermittent lock-up and "no signal" problems for about a week now. Rebooting my TA doesn't solve it. As Mike mentioned, a simple reset of the Moxi just hangs at some point before the "starting Moxi" progress bar. The only way I've been able to restart the box is to do a hard reset by removing power. After that, sometimes the "checking hard drive" step takes anywhere from a minute to 20 minutes.

Last night I saw the problem in action (though it didn't help me fix it). At about 7pm, I turned on the TV to a blank screen. Unplugged the Moxi for about a minute then powered back on. It hung on the "checking hard disk" screen for a couple minutes then rebooted again. This time "checking hard disk" took somewhere over 10 minutes, but it started up after that. The Moxi tuned and channel and worked normally after that (no sluggishness, nothing strange). At that point nothing was recording. I left the TV on to keep an eye on things.

A little after 8pm (still with nothing recording), I changed channels. Tuned in no problem.

At 9pm, a recording started normally. So at this point, I was watching something live and recording another program (2 tuners in use). With the recording still in progress, I tried to change channels to another live show and got the "no signal" message. Change back to the original live channel gave me the same message. But I could tune to the channel that was recording and watch that program in progress with no problems.

That recording ended at 10pm. I had other recordings scheduled at 10pm and 10:30pm. This morning, I realized that neither of them completed. The Moxi was frozen (no signal to the TV) again this morning. A hard reset brought it back to life with only a quick disk check though.

Also, while the 10pm recording should have been running on the main box, I couldn't tune that channel or any other through my Mate.

This strikes me as more of a tuning issue than the hard drive. I guess I'll try the CableCard reset next.

Any other opinions out there?
post #4558 of 6304 Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post

It is much easier to run media server on your WHS, I never tried it without one. I used Twonky but eventually built an HTPC because it had more power, and I have installed several media servers on it (XBMC, Playon, PS3 Media Server, Media Center 15) - it's kind of my lab.

ugh, that is what I was afraid of, my WHS is an older computer comprised of a 2.4 ghz Celeron, and a gig of ram. I don't think it is powerful enough to run a media server that requires trans coding. I tried the free trial of play on, and streaming something brought the computer to it's knees.

That kinda sucks too because as long as the server is not doing anything to the video, it can serve video in hd across the network perfectly fine. I guess if there are no other choices I will just have to save up for something better...
post #4559 of 6304 Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post

My situation took a strange twist last night. I'm really confused now. What I suspected was a failing hard drive now seems like it could be a tuner issue (or maybe CableCard?).

I've had intermittent lock-up and "no signal" problems for about a week now. Rebooting my TA doesn't solve it. As Mike mentioned, a simple reset of the Moxi just hangs at some point before the "starting Moxi" progress bar. The only way I've been able to restart the box is to do a hard reset by removing power. After that, sometimes the "checking hard drive" step takes anywhere from a minute to 20 minutes.

Last night I saw the problem in action (though it didn't help me fix it). At about 7pm, I turned on the TV to a blank screen. Unplugged the Moxi for about a minute then powered back on. It hung on the "checking hard disk" screen for a couple minutes then rebooted again. This time "checking hard disk" took somewhere over 10 minutes, but it started up after that. The Moxi tuned and channel and worked normally after that (no sluggishness, nothing strange). At that point nothing was recording. I left the TV on to keep an eye on things.

A little after 8pm (still with nothing recording), I changed channels. Tuned in no problem.

At 9pm, a recording started normally. So at this point, I was watching something live and recording another program (2 tuners in use). With the recording still in progress, I tried to change channels to another live show and got the "no signal" message. Change back to the original live channel gave me the same message. But I could tune to the channel that was recording and watch that program in progress with no problems.

That recording ended at 10pm. I had other recordings scheduled at 10pm and 10:30pm. This morning, I realized that neither of them completed. The Moxi was frozen (no signal to the TV) again this morning. A hard reset brought it back to life with only a quick disk check though.

Also, while the 10pm recording should have been running on the main box, I couldn't tune that channel or any other through my Mate.

This strikes me as more of a tuning issue than the hard drive. I guess I'll try the CableCard reset next.

Any other opinions out there?

It seems to be a harddrive issue. Was this the OEM harddrive or one you put in?

For 3 T Moxi's, you can buy this one.. One AVS member said it worked for them. 2TB Samsung Spinpoint ($80 after coupon code). However one member with a 2T said it did not work.
www.fatwallet(dot)com/forums/hot-deals/1067047/
post #4560 of 6304 Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

If anyone is curious:

As we all know, Moxi uses the Seagate Pipeline 500GB ST3500312CS Hard Drive in the two and three tuner units.

Seagate is still manufacturing this specific model number, although they have changed the drive. I purchased a new one for about $50 and the date code converts to November 2010. (The Seagate ST3500312CS factory drive that originally came in one of my two-tuner Moxi's was date coded Sept. 30, 2008.) And, the new drives are thinner and much lighter in weight. Seagate switched the 500GB ST3500312CS to a single platter drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148539

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3500...450221-9734244
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page