Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4861 of 6291 Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
eh, you can build one yourself if you buy W7 embedded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 6291 Old 06-29-2011, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13 View Post

Or pick one, and add an additional couple hours.

A maximum of only 90 minutes may be added, but for the purposes of making the point about the inability to create manual recordings, that wasn't necessary information.
post #4863 of 6291 Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

eh, you can build one yourself if you buy W7 embedded.

He's asking about something off the shelf, not some cobbled together stripped-down HTPC.

But I'm not sure if the proposed WMC Embedded boxes will be DVRs - looks like they might be extenders that also act as STBs since they have internal tuners. Recordings are made elsewhere.
post #4864 of 6291 Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

They won't ever come to market. Microsoft's 'HTPC' is the xbox, not Media Center.
post #4865 of 6291 Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Had my first "freeze up" yesterday when watching a recorded SD TV show.... Had to reboot and it has been fine since....
post #4866 of 6291 Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Moxi is a computer and as such must reboot every now and then to get right.
post #4867 of 6291 Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

Had my first "freeze up" yesterday when watching a recorded SD TV show.... Had to reboot and it has been fine since....

What a coincidence, mine was going reboot crazy last night at about 9pm. Rebooted twice while I wasn't watching it.

It was on an SDV channel last time I checked so I have no doubt that the channel and Moxi were having a major disagreement yet again.

post #4868 of 6291 Old 07-02-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetlosss View Post

You don't need to transcode any media file with twonky. Just make sure when you set up the moxi as a client in twonky that you pick one of the video players that support similar types to the moxi. I found that setting it to Kenwood media player works fine. Generic didn't work right.

If only the folks at Moxi (are there any?) would fix the MKV over 4G issue so I can stop splitting MKV files. While they are at it, if there is only 1 audio track it shouldn't have to be set to default.......

i dont have to split mkv files. i use a server that has twonky as a directv hd dvr and files are as big as 14GB 1080p files. i always have to redo the dts audio track to ac3 audio which is still 5.1 sound. the thing that i dont like w/ twonky is it doesnt show the progress while watching the movie although it will allow the next button to skip 15m ahead.
post #4869 of 6291 Old 07-04-2011, 01:34 PM

I made a leap of faith and just bought a two-room Moxi to replace my now dead (hardware-wise) ReplayTV. When I first got it, I couldn't even operate the remote control intuitively. But, I kept plowing through the messages on the forum, reading all the faq's and tips, and finally I'm starting to get comfortable with this beast. There's a lot to be desired about a Moxi, compared to a Replay, but right now it works with the cable card and the SDV adapter, and there's a lot of good things about it. I still have to read all the messages on the forum, but I'm getting there and thanks to all of you for all your tips, tricks and info. They helped a LOT, especially when the TWC install guy came over today and said "What's a Moxi?" (true).

One comment though. I talked to two Moxi people on the phone before and after I received it, and both of them swore to me that Moxi is not going out of business and that there will be hardware and software updates at some point. I hope I didn't get fed the corporate line, but even if so I'm looking forward to breaking even on the Moxi in a couple of years.
post #4870 of 6291 Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarlowe View Post

I made a leap of faith and just bought a two-room Moxi to replace my now dead (hardware-wise) ReplayTV. When I first got it, I couldn't even operate the remote control intuitively. But, I kept plowing through the messages on the forum, reading all the faq's and tips, and finally I'm starting to get comfortable with this beast. There's a lot to be desired about a Moxi, compared to a Replay, but right now it works with the cable card and the SDV adapter, and there's a lot of good things about it. I still have to read all the messages on the forum, but I'm getting there and thanks to all of you for all your tips, tricks and info. They helped a LOT, especially when the TWC install guy came over today and said "What's a Moxi?" (true).

One comment though. I talked to two Moxi people on the phone before and after I received it, and both of them swore to me that Moxi is not going out of business and that there will be hardware and software updates at some point. I hope I didn't get fed the corporate line, but even if so I'm looking forward to breaking even on the Moxi in a couple of years.

If I may ask a few questions:

- how long have you had it up and working? Any glitches?
- I assume its a 3 tuner plus mates? How does the streaming of content work, slow or like its on the actual unit?
- thanks
post #4871 of 6291 Old 07-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Johnner1999, it's been running for 6 days now, but only today with the cable card and tuner adapter. No glitches so far, and yes it's a three-tuner with mate. Got a Cisco tuner adapter, so I'm stuck with two tuners and I don't know if that's going to bother me or not yet. Streaming to the Mate is good, except I'd say that there is a slight delay when doing skips of commercials, compared to being on the main unit.
post #4872 of 6291 Old 07-04-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One comment though. I talked to two Moxi people on the phone before and after I received it, and both of them swore to me that Moxi is not going out of business and that there will be hardware and software updates at some point.

Moxi will not go out of business. Arris bought Moxi and Arris are a huge telecommunications company. Moxi software is being used on other projects for Arris that are directly aimed at cablecos which is the most likely reason that Arris acquired the company to begin with.

Moxi guide will continue, whether the consumer retail box and software will exist beyond this iteration is the question you should be asking.

post #4873 of 6291 Old 07-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Yeah I'm not a sky (moxi) is falling person; but I am conserved that Aris will not produce any software updates for the current Moxi and Mate. I wish you could program the Moxi from the mate or had a iOS app that could do it.

And my Cable company (cablevision) is a cisco shop so IF I needed a tuning adapter which I dont at the moment i'd only have 2 tuners which is not enough.

hmmm
post #4874 of 6291 Old 07-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post

Yeah I'm not a sky (moxi) is falling person; but I am conserved that Aris will not produce any software updates for the current Moxi and Mate. I wish you could program the Moxi from the mate or had a iOS app that could do it.

And my Cable company (cablevision) is a cisco shop so IF I needed a tuning adapter which I dont at the moment i'd only have 2 tuners which is not enough.

hmmm

There is a 3rd party universal iOS app that sells for $3.99.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/moxi-rem...369568406?mt=8

Michael

Bright House Networks Central FL:
SA 8300HD DVR
Samsung HD DVR
post #4875 of 6291 Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

I know that there has not been a lot of new development for Moxi but... big but.... Arris the parent company as noted by Bryan PHX developed a whole house solution for Shaw.

Here are the features
http://shaw.ca/Gateway/

Notice the similar Moxi interface?
Same remote?

What can this mean for Moxi users? At this point nothing... but there is hope. There is hope that some features can be ported over to the Moxi.

Moxi will not go the way of ReplayTV..

Thoughts?
post #4876 of 6291 Old 07-04-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

hmmm

The firmware for Cisco's adapters to handle up to six tuners will be available in August.
post #4877 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 AM

We will see if the Cisco TA update really happens on schedule, I'm not too hopeful based on previous promises.
If it does, I might go back to Moxi since I'm on Cablevision. Still waiting for update to cable card!

Mike
post #4878 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Johnner1999, it's been running for 6 days now, but only today with the cable card and tuner adapter. No glitches so far, and yes it's a three-tuner with mate. Got a Cisco tuner adapter, so I'm stuck with two tuners and I don't know if that's going to bother me or not yet. Streaming to the Mate is good, except I'd say that there is a slight delay when doing skips of commercials, compared to being on the main unit.

Dang, noticed you are in Cincinnati.

Wish I could have sold you my Moxi, as I'm local and could have saved you money/helped you out.

Anyways, good luck and glad you're figuring things out!
post #4879 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
If I may ask a few questions:

- how long have you had it up and working? Any glitches?
- I assume its a 3 tuner plus mates? How does the streaming of content work, slow or like its on the actual unit?
- thanks
I certainly misspoke about the responsiveness of the Moxi Mate on my week old system, and about having glitches. Are these conditions I'm seeing on the Mate common?

- "Please Wait", and the spinning clock when changing live channels?
- The spinning clock when arrowing up or down on the guide, i.e. slow response?
- The guide indicating it's set for several hours before the current time, where a reboot of the Mate fixed it?
- Blank screens when trying to get a live channel after not using the Mate for 24 hours? This one eventually fixed itself after 5 minutes of messing with it.
- Occasional stuttering of live TV
- Poor response time when skipping commercials on recorded shows
- Inability to skip ahead more than a couple of presses of the skip button at a time. Even the DVR seems unable to do multiple skip button presses, but the Mate is worse.

I'm hoping this is not the way the Mate acts all the time. It's making me think I'm going to eventually want a Moxi DVR to replace the Mate, and avoid streaming live tv and the guide. But, I need to use it a lot more to see if all this is typical.
post #4880 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post
What can this mean for Moxi users? At this point nothing... but there is hope. There is hope that some features can be ported over to the Moxi.

Moxi will not go the way of ReplayTV..

Thoughts?
If you mean by not going the way of ReplayTV not being sold to consumers and software updates are non-existent, then there is every chance it will be like ReplayTV.

As we've been discussing for almost two years now since Arris took over, it's entirely likely Arris bought Moxi just for their software since it was the last part missing in their home gateway project. The Moxi guide will definitely be used by Arris as long as the Whole Home Gateway project remains an Arris priority, but like Passport Tru2Way guide Moxi guide may never be offered on consumer hardware.

The Arris roadmap for this year given out at their financial meeting mentions the gateway multiple times but has no mention of anything related to their consumer product.

post #4881 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 AM

sometimes the Internet is a bad tool like when used to self medicate or when looking for buying advice LOL :-)

hmmmm so should I pull the trigger, toss a coin, or run away from Moxi :-)
post #4882 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Why would you want to buy a DVR that's no longer being supported with updates? At list price, no less - the least they could do is discount the box further in return for such lowered expectations. I'm actually kinda surprised they haven't clearanced these out by now.
post #4883 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Why would you want to buy a DVR that's no longer being supported with updates? At list price, no less - the least they could do is discount the box further in return for such lowered expectations. I'm actually kinda surprised they haven't clearanced these out by now.
I agree and know what your saying.... BUT

1) Moxi hasn't offically said anything - if you call they say nothing to worry about (than again why would they say otherwise no?)
2) If I bought two TiVo S4's with lifetime it would cost alnost $1200 i know i'd have 1 more tuner and more storage but....

hmmmm

I think 'smart' logic will prevail here and I'll stick with DirecTV LOL
post #4884 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

sometimes the Internet is a bad tool like when used to self medicate or when looking for buying advice LOL :-)

hmmmm so should I pull the trigger, toss a coin, or run away from Moxi :-)

LMK if you're interested in a mint Moxi 3-tuner plus mate!
post #4885 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

In November it will have been two years since they released the three-tuner and that was only a spec-bump from the two tuner released in 2008.

Since the Mate Live update in spring 2010 (which was late) Arris has done absolutely nothing with the hardware, software or entry price point and they are fully aware that time has passed the current Moxi by and what it offered at launch is not worth the price now.

Remember when this was advertised as the "world's best DVR?"

It isn't now. Now it's just officially "great."

post #4886 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The DVR market = where you strive for mediocrity.
post #4887 of 6291 Old 07-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Hey, any of yous guys had problems receiving channels that your TV can see? I'm just using clear QAM with no cablecard but a channel scan doesn't always pick up all the channels that my TV does . I don't think it is signal strength as I have an eight channel splitter with a 20db amp built into it and have tried an additional 10db booster in just the line to the Moxi. Until recently I was just running the 10db booster into a four channel passive splitter with the same results. Anybody know what SNR numbers I should be looking for and/or what the AGC numbers mean? I always get the channels that score a SNR of 35+ but the channels that come and go are more like SNR=27. The booster amps don't seem to affect the SNR but seem to lower the AGC numbers (but not sure of that).
post #4888 of 6291 Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 AM

This seems to be a religious argument so please do not flame. I, too, am considering the debate between Moxi (3 tuner) and the Tivo Premium XL.

From my prior research (and preferences) I would really like to purchase the Moxi, but have concerns over the company and some of the comments here of 'dead man walking' if you purchase Moxi.

For all of you who currently have invested in a Moxi, what would your advice be to a prospective customer? Pull the trigger, or just go with a Tivo?
post #4889 of 6291 Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgersic View Post

This seems to be a religious argument so please do not flame. I, too, am considering the debate between Moxi (3 tuner) and the Tivo Premium XL.

From my prior research (and preferences) I would really like to purchase the Moxi, but have concerns over the company and some of the comments here of 'dead man walking' if you purchase Moxi.

For all of you who currently have invested in a Moxi, what would your advice be to a prospective customer? Pull the trigger, or just go with a Tivo?

My decision was based on how many rooms I wanted to have HD on with minimal cost. The 3 room DVR made the difference for me. If you only have one room then Tivo Premium may work for you.
post #4890 of 6291 Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I purchased one just because of the need for 3 tuners. Two just isn't enough.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page