2Likes

post #5311 of 6281 Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Man... I re-read the article again and I am drooling over it. if centon price this at 499 and extenders at 99 it will take over the dvr market

Yup, certainly looks like the cat's pajamas. I wonder what the lead time is. Perhaps, someone should start a thread on this device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 6281 Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Man... I re-read the article again and I am drooling over it. if centon price this at 499 and extenders at 99 it will take over the dvr market

+1 The good news is they have gone through Cablelabs certification as wells as MS's Cablelabs approved DRM, so the most difficult part should go smoothly. Hopefully they can self-certify.
post #5313 of 6281 Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Man, if this has all the features of Winows Media Center and lets me stream all my files and install codecs, I'd pay up to 750 for the main box and 200 for extenders!

Put me down for 2 main boxes and 2 extenders! Any reports on how much disk space ships with the product (even though I know it has eSata)?
post #5314 of 6281 Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Didn't they say 2TB?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5315 of 6281 Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
With Moxi all but dead, I was thinking of doing my own HTPC.. but now with the Ceton announcement..... I will just wait for them...

I work with computers at work all day long.. I do not want to tinker with a HTPC when I get home. I just want something that works...that is why I chose Moxi .... if Ceton come through.... I would be thrilled...
post #5316 of 6281 Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

With Moxi all but dead, I was thinking of doing my own HTPC.. but now with the Ceton announcement..... I will just wait for them...

I work with computers at work all day long.. I do not want to tinker with a HTPC when I get home. I just want something that works...that is why I chose Moxi .... if Ceton come through.... I would be thrilled...

I echo your thoughts. I was ecstatic to find the Moxi -- but overall have been very disappointed and how fickle it turned out to be (requires reboots, hard drive failure, horrible remote sensitivity, etc).

Maybe this Ceton will finally be the home run I had hoped for with Moxi. Something that just works with minimal effort.
post #5317 of 6281 Old 01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Man, if this has all the features of Winows Media Center and lets me stream all my files and install codecs, I'd pay up to 750 for the main box and 200 for extenders!

Put me down for 2 main boxes and 2 extenders! Any reports on how much disk space ships with the product (even though I know it has eSata)?

I'll pay $100 per tuner. No extenders needed now, thanks.
post #5318 of 6281 Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I'll pay $100 per tuner. No extenders needed now, thanks.

so $600
post #5319 of 6281 Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I must admit that I am really excited by the Ceton Q product. It really appears fully-baked already, and they were even showing off the UI in the video:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/c...nder-hands-on/

Remember the Gateway Media Console on the floor at CES last year?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/g...bedded-standa/

Both of these boxes were designed Win 7 embedded, and I also like this idea. It looks like a Media Center PC, but without all the hassles of managing an HTPC. Basically, an STB with a great user interface. Wait a minute, that sounds surprisingly like a Moxi.

Seriously, I sincerely hope the Q will be shipping in the next Quarter. The arrival of these Win 7 embedded STB's could be the reason why Moxi decided to stop selling in the retail channel.

I predict a glut of Moxi's on ebay (posted by members of this thread) whenever the Ceton Q ships. My Moxi is paid off this month, given what I would have been paying Concash monthly for three DVR's for the past two years.

Mark
post #5320 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiguide View Post

Maybe this Ceton will finally be the home run I had hoped for with Moxi. Something that just works with minimal effort.

The basic software is hard to fail with. My WMC setup running on a Mac Mini just does what it's supposed to on a daily basis.

However ...

My device is not hooked up to TWC digital cable. When you start adding TWC (or any other cableco) hardware to the mix then problems can start to surface that you can't predict.

The Q looks like a great product that I've been waiting for a long time (I could do without the Blu-ray payer though), but experience has taught me that TWC are more than capable of ruining any good idea that comes along.

I do find it ironic that Moxi basically started the idea of streaming video over IP around the house and while everyone around them is announcing new products Arris is pulling back.

post #5321 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I do find it ironic that Moxi basically started the idea of streaming video over IP around the house and while everyone around them is announcing new products Arris is pulling back.

Apparently, Arris is pulling back from the retail channel only.

Mark
post #5322 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Apparently, Arris is pulling back from the retail channel only.

I know, but what they are currently using at the provider level is basically the same platform Moxi has been using for two years now. They haven't developed it beyond increasing tuner support and including some MSO-specific features and it's only gaining traction with a limited number of MSO's as it is.

post #5323 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM

RE: Ceton Q

No digital audio out?
post #5324 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I know, but what they are currently using at the provider level is basically the same platform Moxi has been using for two years now. They haven't developed it beyond increasing tuner support and including some MSO-specific features and it's only gaining traction with a limited number of MSO's as it is.

Good point Vision. Arris' contempt for its Moxi customer base is matched by their inability to improve upon the product. It's as if they're attitude is, "Hey, we just bought this thing (Moxi). Let's try to pawn it off on as many willing, (Read: gullible), MSOs with as little effort as possible. And people wonder why the state of American business is as dismal as it is?
post #5325 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:

The basic software is hard to fail with. My WMC setup running on a Mac Mini just does what it's supposed to on a daily basis.

However ...

My device is not hooked up to TWC digital cable. When you start adding TWC (or any other cableco) hardware to the mix then problems can start to surface that you can't predict.

The Q looks like a great product that I've been waiting for a long time (I could do without the Blu-ray payer though), but experience has taught me that TWC are more than capable of ruining any good idea that comes along.

I, too, could do without the Blu-Ray.

And, I know this is off-topic for this thread, but can you share more about your TWC digital cable comment with respect to your WMC HTPC? I've been taking baby steps towards learning about the feasibility of building one to work around some of my discontent with the Moxi, so I'm particularly interested.

I join others in being very excited about Ceton's Q & Echo! Someone mentioned starting a thread -- if that was done, can the link be posted here for the curious amongst us?
post #5326 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

post #5327 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post

And, I know this is off-topic for this thread, but can you share more about your TWC digital cable comment with respect to your WMC HTPC?

As you know from the Moxi, TWC + CableCARD + Tuning Adapter = problems.

So my WMC is strictly free Clear QAM only. Of course TWC not content with screwing over anyone using CC boxes they mess you up with Clear QAM too by switching channel assignments around and moving them out of the receivable range. For the channels that come through properly however, WMC does the job without fuss. It doesn't crash, the menus are snappy and when it does restart on Patch Tuesday it just boots back into the menu without any issue.

And if you want an easy option to build a HTPC just buy a small compact unit like a Zino and HD Homerun. I used a Mac Mini because it was tiny and quiet. Just install Windows 7 and that's all you need to do.

post #5328 of 6281 Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Thank you!!!

Quote:

As you know from the Moxi, TWC + CableCARD + Tuning Adapter = problems.

So my WMC is strictly free Clear QAM only. Of course TWC not content with screwing over anyone using CC boxes they mess you up with Clear QAM too by switching channel assignments around and moving them out of the receivable range. For the channels that come through properly however, WMC does the job without fuss. It doesn't crash, the menus are snappy and when it does restart on Patch Tuesday it just boots back into the menu without any issue.

And if you want an easy option to build a HTPC just buy a small compact unit like a Zino and HD Homerun. I used a Mac Mini because it was tiny and quiet. Just install Windows 7 and that's all you need to do.

Ahh . . . I don't have that particular problem because we don't have TAs in this area & they still weren't on the horizon last time I checked 6 months or so ago, but who knows when that will change?

Thanks!
post #5329 of 6281 Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 AM

I still getting updates on my two tuner MOXI

I thought they were not doing updates any more?

What did they add/update?
post #5330 of 6281 Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 AM

Are you sure it wasn't just a guide update? I've got two 3-tuner Moxis & manually checked for software updates after reading your post, and I got nothing -- my last software update was 8/12/2010.
post #5331 of 6281 Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 AM

moxi reboots every now and again (in early morning hours) to do guide updates/entitlements. i wish arris would remember us when they start developing software for the 6 tuner moxi. i feel we should get the same updates as that equipment.

also, i ended up doing the ffp method as moxi equipment has always seem to have hardware fail. i was talking to someone the other day and the original cable company moxi's(grey in color) had the motherboards go out on them, the black cable company moxi's had modems go out(although this one is what triggered my step to retail moxi and i didnt have issues, and the retail moxis have hdd failures quite a bit. i can deal w/ something easy like a hdd fail and pray thats all that will happen at this point. do they repair more than they sell? im just saying. i hope moxi lives on for the next decades because i love 'em.
post #5332 of 6281 Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Anyone in the Seattle area w/ a Moxi having problems with hd channels? Last nite I had to call comcast & have them send a signal to fix it. Can a cable card go bad?

Mike
post #5333 of 6281 Old 01-20-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post

Can a cable card go bad?

Oh yes indeed. It's a piece of electronics hardware just like anything else.

post #5334 of 6281 Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post

i wish arris would remember us when they start developing software for the 6 tuner moxi. i feel we should get the same updates as that equipment.

The six-tuner already has some minor tweaks like favorite channel editing. If Arris couldn't be bothered to let simple things like that trickle down I seriously doubt they will make the effort with anything major.

post #5335 of 6281 Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:

I was in the same boat, but bit the bullet and threw together an HTPC. About a month after I built it, my moxi HD went into the crapper. Those guys are piss poor developers. I have had hard drives in operation 24/7 in servers, pc's, Tivo's and never saw the failure rate that exists when putting a drive into a Moxi. These things just eat drives....
post #5336 of 6281 Old 01-21-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:

The six-tuner already has some minor tweaks like favorite channel editing. If Arris couldn't be bothered to let simple things like that trickle down I seriously doubt they will make the effort with anything major.

you're probably right on that. well, unlike some others, im happy w/ my moxi and dont need to look for other options as long as i still have my guide updated, which is a separate company. i would pay for guide fees if i had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetlosss View Post

I was in the same boat, but bit the bullet and threw together an HTPC. About a month after I built it, my moxi HD went into the crapper. Those guys are piss poor developers. I have had hard drives in operation 24/7 in servers, pc's, Tivo's and never saw the failure rate that exists when putting a drive into a Moxi. These things just eat drives....

i hear people say that moxi eats drives but not sure if thats totally true. i think its the selection of the drive (seagate) thats the issue. i dont think ill have an issue w/ the Western Digital i placed in mine. knock on wood.
post #5337 of 6281 Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 PM

I'd like to hear from someone who has added Google TV to their 2T Moxi. I find the Moxi to be sluggish (also requiring extra steps) compared with my old TIVO. I viewed the You Tube about Google TV and Moxi but it was a bit confusing, it didn't explain what was happening.

Thanks all for keeping us informed.

Kerry
post #5338 of 6281 Old 01-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post

i hear people say that moxi eats drives but not sure if thats totally true. i think its the selection of the drive (seagate) thats the issue. i dont think ill have an issue w/ the Western Digital i placed in mine. knock on wood.

+1

There are plenty of other devices that use hard drives just as hard or harder than the Moxi and they don't get hard drive failures. It's not the Moxi, but rather the fact that the Moxi comes stock with a crappy hard drive. A quick replacement of the stock hard drive will get you a reliable machine.
post #5339 of 6281 Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboyer1971 View Post

+1

There are plenty of other devices that use hard drives just as hard or harder than the Moxi and they don't get hard drive failures. It's not the Moxi, but rather the fact that the Moxi comes stock with a crappy hard drive. A quick replacement of the stock hard drive will get you a reliable machine.

Gosh -- I dunno about that on a couple of counts.

First, both of my 3-tuner Moxis had to be RMAed for non-hard drive problems; the first never worked right out of the box & was RMAed within 30 days, and the second failed after about 90 days. For me, that's a 100% non-hard drive failure rate that I suppose drops to a 50% failure rate since the HDD in both replacements are still working fine 17+ months later.

Second, I'm a RTV person & have had to replace the hard drives in all five (IIRC) of our RTVs over the years. They are, of course, much older than the Moxis, but by the same token, they aren't constantly buffering, either.

OTOH, only one of my RTVs has ever had a non-hard drive failure -- I had to replace the power supply.

And, I personally can't forget the glitches in the Moxi software or whatever that have gone unaddressed (i.e., episode descriptions missing from recorded content).

Sooo, I suppose it all depends on one's definition of "reliable."

Saundra
post #5340 of 6281 Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 PM

so what were the non-hdd issues with both of you 3 tuner moxi?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page