Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

You may need to contact support on this

Thx acaoacao ...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 6277 Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
removed complaint link due to reversal of moxi decision.
post #5373 of 6277 Old 02-09-2012, 09:29 PM

wow, that sucks and it is a pretty sleazy move by arris - regardless of whether they are within their legal rights to do so (i have no idea on that one). if the company was going out of business that would be one thing but screwing over customers they no longer care about just to save a few bucks is absolute crap.
post #5374 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 02:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
What's particularly bad form is that Arris haven't bothered to send out a single email informing their user base of the obsolescence. What's even more egregious is that Moxi has a built-in message system that could send this news directly to each unit.

Are Arris hoping that people don't visit the moxi.com homepage so they've never notice until far too late?

post #5375 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 AM

This is certainly bad news, but as many others have said, not completely unexpected either.

I think this is another piece of evidence in how hard it is to have a business model for this kind of device that doesn't rely, in part, on reoccurring revenue.

Granted, the whole reason I bought the Moxi system was to get away from the monthly charges. The problem is that it requires the supplier to make all of their money up front and continuosly grab new customers. All of this in a limited market.

I would be willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee for guide data and SW updates for a whole house system (say up to $5/mo). Just not the $10-$15 per unit that seems to be the going rate for other systems.
post #5376 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post

I would be willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee for guide data and SW updates for a whole house system (say up to $5/mo). Just not the $10-$15 per unit that seems to be the going rate for other systems.

Then you should be looking at the upcoming Ceton Q.

Windows Media Center has never charged for guide data and that ships free with every version of Windows 7.

post #5377 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM

it seems replaytv starting picking up sales in 2000. it got sold off to another company and exited hardware business completely by/in 2007. At least they have the dignity to still provide the epg (electronic program guide) to its customers by using content from Tribune Media Services. source:wikipedia
post #5378 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Post with links to file complaints at BBB, FCC, GA States Attorney, and Arris email address removed from post since Arris reversed (corrected) statement.

http://www.moxi.com

The current statement on website.
Quote:

A few weeks ago we incorrectly posted a notice
regarding discontinuation of our Moxi program
guide data. We currently have no plans to
discontinue service. Thank you for your support.

post #5379 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 AM

done!
post #5380 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post

it seems replaytv starting picking up sales in 2000. it got sold off to another company and exited hardware business completely by/in 2007. At least they have the dignity to still provide the epg (electronic program guide) to its customers by using content from Tribune Media Services. source:wikipedia

But they almost cut it off last summer until a bunch of users complained and threatened action, then they reversed course. Also as I mentioned, the userbase had a valid guide server workaround up and running quickly so it would only have affected those not willing to go on the net and figure out how to set it up. In this case, you're really stuck if Arris doesn't do something to make the Moxi work with Schedules Direct (which costs $25/year, but is better than bricking the Moxi).

But at least you have a lot more notice than the ReplayTV folks had, Arris has almost two years to make this right with firmware updates or alternatives.
post #5381 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Sure they can hack at the source coude but we cannot modify anything on the MOXI. The Moxi is a closed boxed without the ability to edit anything on the OS.

The only way I can see that this may work is if we re-direct/intercept Moxi update request to Moxi servers (that will stop providing data) to alternate servers that will give updates. This can easily be done using alternative DNS/redirecting. We would also need to identifying what address Moxi is going to.

This will only work once we identify what the Moxi is looking for and what to feed back to the Moxi. Is authorization required? What kind of handshaking is done? How is the data feed back to the Moxi? XML?

Guide service is out there.. but the data needs to be massaged for the Moxi and Moxi needs to talk to it.
http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ for $25 yearly.

So.. what can we do?

Contact BBB?

Contact FCC?

Email Schedules Direct for help?

Online petition?

I'm guessing that the FFP will look to the USB before it goes out on the network to look for the OS software. Just a guess though.
post #5382 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Hi all:

Its been a while since i last visited this forum (and just about went mad when i read the MOXI is being discontinued), so i have a few questions for you.

1. Does the 4-finger press reset trick still work? I tried it on my 2-year old T3 and couldn't get it to work a few months back.

2. My HDD, even now and tho has never failed, is noisy as i can hear the drive head thrashing all over the disk drive. Is this normal?

3. Does the Moxi accept external USB or SATA drives or do i only need to replace the internal drive in cases of failure? WHat is the maximum disk size it can support?

4. I keep missing some channel logos when i display programs slated as series recordings. Just noticed this about a month ago. How can i fix this?

1) The FFP worked a couple of months ago.
2) Not a good sign. Image the drive ASAP. Get a new drive and perform FFP reinstall.
3) Unit requires internal drive to be functional
4) Issues with cable provider. So what else is new?

J
post #5383 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Before the Moxi webstate had this..
http://www.moxi.com

Quote:

Program guide data and technical support for the
Moxi HD DVR will be available until
December 31, 2013.

Now that message is gone! So what does that mean? Is the end of life extended to a date no yet published? Or are they reconsidering an alternative for us?

I know the MOXI guy monitor these forums before maybe he saw that we were just beginning to mobilize the troops and notified his supervisors who made a bird brain decision

EDIT.. Like VisionOn... The message is still on the website.. just in the FAQ.. hidden from view.. bummer ... Please continue to write email and file complaints. I guess without any written or verbal confirmation proving otherwise we can still assume that the end of life of Moxi is Dec 31, 2013

Quote:

1. Why can’t I purchase a Moxi?
The Moxi HD DVR and Moxi Mate® are no longer available for purchase. Program guide data and technical support for the Moxi HD DVR will be available until December 31, 2013. The best of the Moxi features have been added to the ARRIS Moxi Gateway and Moxi Player, components of the ARRIS Whole Home Solution. The Moxi Gateway is a full-featured “triple play platform” available only through cable service providers. More information on the ARRIS Moxi solutions can be found on the ARRIS Whole Home Solution webpage.

post #5384 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Now that message is gone! So what does that mean? Is the end of life extended to a date no yet published? Or are they reconsidering an alternative for us?

Or maybe they decided to bury the information before it alienated a larger base?

It's still mentioned in the FAQ:

http://www.moxi.com/us/faq.html

I doubt Moxi Guy is still employed. I don't think they have any social networking staff monitoring the community at all.

post #5385 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 PM

i hope those who are still w/ moxi find other work inside the company. anyway, i hope they reconsider their stance. i have a cousin that is a lawyer and am contemplating contacting her but i really dont want to pay her $200/hour or whatever she charges. maybe she'll do discount rate to research but im not expecting it..lol. anyway, i was looking at tivo today and am not that impressed. its probably better than the standard motorola cable offering though. i work at a cable co and they put copy restrictions on shows and even sporting events are copy never. that wouldnt be good for tivo to tivo multi room. now, im getting past it..lol. moxi is where its at for me..i'd have to see it as a brick to believe it. im sticking with it. i dont see anything else that's good enough right now. maybe i should just revert to hd boxes instead of dvrs if it does end?! thats a good start to get that message off the home page..now to get it removed from the faq...
post #5386 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post

i hope those who are still w/ moxi find other work inside the company. anyway, i hope they reconsider their stance. i have a cousin that is a lawyer and am contemplating contacting her but i really dont want to pay her $200/hour etc or whatever she charges. maybe she'll do discount rate to research but im not expecting it..lol. anyway, i was looking at tivo today and am not that impressed. its probably better than the standard motorola cable offering though. i work at a cable co and they put copy restrictions on shows and even sporting events are copy never. that wouldnt be good for tivo to tivo multi room. now, im getting past it..lol. moxi is where its at for me..i'd have to see it as a brick to believe it. im sticking with it. i dont see anything else that's good enough right now. maybe i should just revert to hd boxes instead of dvrs if it does end?! thats a good start to get that message off the home page..now to get it removed from the faq...

You can stream the shows between TiVo Premiere models. If it's copy restricted you just can't transfer it, only stream it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5387 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM

interesting. ill check further on this because last time i checked i heard it wasnt a full hd interface everywhere and im not sure if i can stream my mkv's to it. Tivo has been around for quite some time..if moxi gives up on us i dont think tivo will. i have been wrong before though.
post #5388 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Wait for the ceton. Skip tivo
post #5389 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:

wait for the ceton. Skip tivo

+1
post #5390 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I no longer see the note that Moxi is discontinued after 12/31/13. Am I missing it?
post #5391 of 6277 Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post

I no longer see the note that Moxi is discontinued after 12/31/13. Am I missing it?

It looks like it has also been removed from the FAQs
http://moxi.com/us/faq.html

The sad thing here is Arris will still continue to provide software and guide updates for the MSO products. So continuing to provide at least guide data for the current retail devices would not be much of a burden for Arris.

Arris Expects a Rosy 2012
http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=217314
"Despite slower sales of the Moxi gateway in the fourth quarter, Arris still thinks it can turn the product into a $100 million business in 2012. Stanzione identified WideOpenWest Holdings LLC (WOW) , a competitive overbuilder with 1.6 million homes passed, as the latest customer for the device, joining Shaw Communications Inc. , BendBroadband and Buckeye CableSystem . He said Arris has two more Moxi deals about to pop."

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #5392 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 03:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Wait for the ceton. Skip tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

+1

+2 And, I'm actually excited about it, even though I know it's still way too early to be excited I'm sooo looking forward to getting rid of all those little (and not so little) annoyances that seemingly would have been nothing for Arris to fix.

Nonetheless, I really hope the complaints work to convince Arris to continue to provide the EPG or at least do whatever it is that needs to be done to allow Schedules Direct to provide the EPG. I cannot emphasize enough just how unhappy I will be if my $2000 purchase winds up being bricked after just 3.5 years. It's one thing when a $69 DVD player craps out after 24 months, but this? Really?

And I, too, think it's beyond rotten that Arris didn't notify us directly via the built-in messaging system. What the heck!?
post #5393 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post

The date was on the main page. they remove it from there yesterday but that date was still on the faq last night

Last night Visionon and I was discussing how the date might have been buried in the faq to prevent further outrage from customers.

Now The date has been removed from the faq as well... Makes me wonder if moxi guy or another
Arris employee monitors the thread

Dave Zatz wrote about it. He has screenshots.
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-02/...i-dvr-service/

Also Engadget has contacted Arris PR as well. I will send them what I have..

Makes me wonder if our efforts are.working.. However without statements from Arris stating otberwise the date Moxi will die is still Dec 31 2013....

Please still file complaints and write emails
post #5394 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The date was on the main page. they remove it from there yesterda

I think Dave's column carries some weight in the industry more so than this thread does with Arris now. Same with Facebook. For the majority of companies as long as they have a Facebook page that's about all the interaction they think is necessary.

Removal of all mention of the cutoff date does suggests Arris are rethinking the decision. If they can't be bothered to support the guide they could update the unit one more time and hand off responsibility to a third party company.

This really makes me wonder what the size of the Moxi user base is. Based on this thread it's only about 50 people and from what I've seen is the most active discussion group for Moxi on the internet. Where do the others go for news and information about something they own? It's not as if Moxi is heavily covered in the press with news about updates and issues.

edit: just went live on Engadget.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/11/a...cut-off-guide/

post #5395 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
There may yet be hope with this sudden elimination of the notice from the website. See this article (scroll down to see bullet item) which says that Arris may keep guide data going 'if there's enough interest' after end of next year.

Uh sure, there will be, even if there were less than 5000 Moxis sold. How could they think otherwise when the box is a brick without it?

http://www.lightreading.com/document...site=lr_cable&

Arris Group Inc. (Nasdaq: ARRS) believes it can turn its Moxi video gateway into a $100 million business as it secures more MSO deals, but the vendor's support for Moxi HD-DVRs sold at retail will come to an end. Arris, which no longer sells boxes at retail, notes here that it will stop sending program data and halt technical support for those devices on Dec. 31, 2013. (Hat tip: @davezatz). (See Arris Expects a Rosy 2012.)

Update:That date apparently isn't set in stone, but a worst-case scenario. Arris said it will probably end up supporting Moxi retail products beyond December 2013 if there's continued interest from Moxi users. Arris estimates that there are fewer than 5,000 retail Moxi units out there.
post #5396 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I think Dave's column carries some weight in the industry more so than this thread does with Arris now. Same with Facebook. For the majority of companies as long as they have a Facebook page that's about all the interaction they think is necessary.

Removal of all mention of the cutoff date does suggests Arris are rethinking the decision. If they can't be bothered to support the guide they could update the unit one more time and hand off responsibility to a third party company.

This really makes me wonder what the size of the Moxi user base is. Based on this thread it's only about 50 people and from what I've seen is the most active discussion group for Moxi on the internet. Where do the others go for news and information about something they own? It's not as if Moxi is heavily covered in the press with news about updates and issues.

Engadget will post something about Moxi this weekend so that only helps.

As for the number of Moxi users... I would venture to say it cannot be more than a couple of hundred... I am willing to bet that Arris thought that since there are so few Moxi users that ending services in 2013 would not create ripple in the pond. I think they miscalculated that this small group can get so upset.

Everyone here spent at least $500 on the Moxi. Most spent the $1000 to get the 3 room bundle. Sandra spend $2000 ($65 monthly cost if the Moxi ended in 2013). This is a small fortune for most. When I purchased the Moxi I was looking on ROI and calculate breakeven point... I would venture to say that we purchased the Moxi to go way beyond the breakeven point....

Arris needs to do something.. at minimum let us use a third party guide source.
post #5397 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

There may yet be hope with this sudden elimination of the notice from the website. See this article (scroll down to see bullet item) which says that Arris may keep guide data going 'if there's enough interest' after end of next year.

Uh sure, there will be, even if there were less than 5000 Moxis sold. How could they think otherwise, when the box is a brick without it?

http://www.lightreading.com/document...site=lr_cable&

Arris Group Inc. (Nasdaq: ARRS) believes it can turn its Moxi video gateway into a $100 million business as it secures more MSO deals, but the vendor's support for Moxi HD-DVRs sold at retail will come to an end. Arris, which no longer sells boxes at retail, notes here that it will stop sending program data and halt technical support for those devices on Dec. 31, 2013. (Hat tip: @davezatz). (See Arris Expects a Rosy 2012.)

Update:That date apparently isn't set in stone, but a worst-case scenario. Arris said it will probably end up supporting Moxi retail products beyond December 2013 if there's continued interest from Moxi users. Arris estimates that there are fewer than 5,000 retail Moxi units out there.

The hilarity of this is as I mentioned above.

Since Arris have pulled the info and the only places covering it are trade journals, a forum for tech geeks and a tech blog how will users actually know this is going to happen to generate the interest to stop it?

Sending out an email directly to the customers (or using the um, built-in messaging) might be a good way to you know, inform people and gauge the feedback.

In other news I was giving away a billion dollars yesterday but nobody wanted it. I was stood in the kitchen for five minutes making the announcement and not one member of the general public claimed it. Pity, because I've burned all the money now.

post #5398 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As for the number of Moxi users... I would venture to say it cannot be more than a couple of hundred... I am willing to bet that Arris thought that since there are so few Moxi users that ending services in 2013 would not create ripple in the pond. I think they miscalculated that this small group can get so upset.

If Arris had invested in the product instead of using it as just a technology shortcut they might have had more users by now. But the updates, advertising and marketing went from minimal to nothing in about five minutes.

post #5399 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

.... Arris said it will probably end up supporting Moxi retail products beyond December 2013 if there's continued interest from Moxi users. Arris estimates that there are fewer than 5,000 retail Moxi units out there. [/i]

Who are they kidding... "continued interest from Moxi users"? Yes I am interested in keeping my $1000 Moxi from being made in to a $1000 door stop. Clearly, Arris has lost touch with the retail Moxi user base.

Once again, I will re-iterative... the bullet point in the lightreading link is nothing from Arris but just a third party statement. As of right now, Arris plans to stop providing the electronic programming guide to the Moxi on December 31, 2013... this will remain the same unless Arris states publicly otherwise. So please continue with the complaints and emails.
post #5400 of 6277 Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:

The date was on the main page. they remove it from there yesterday but that date was still on the faq last night

Last night Visionon and I was discussing how the date might have been buried in the faq to prevent further outrage from customers.

Now The date has been removed from the faq as well... Makes me wonder if moxi guy or another
Arris employee monitors the thread

Also Engadget has contacted Arris PR as well. I will send them what I have..

Makes me wonder if our efforts are.working.. However without statements from Arris stating otberwise the date Moxi will die is still Dec 31 2013....

Please still file complaints and write emails

good information people. Collectively, we are a smart bunch of people and finding out all types of things moxi. Everyone who has seen this product in my house has been astonished by it but i dont know that its been marketed/sold through all available channels. Its not our fault that this product wasnt sold in stores. We saw a good thing and we reached for it whether it was directly from moxi, amazon, or now even ebay. removed complaint link due to reversal of moxi decision.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page