3Likes

post #5401 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

But they almost cut it off last summer until a bunch of users complained and threatened action, then they reversed course. Also as I mentioned, the userbase had a valid guide server workaround up and running quickly so it would only have affected those not willing to go on the net and figure out how to set it up. In this case, you're really stuck if Arris doesn't do something to make the Moxi work with Schedules Direct (which costs $25/year, but is better than bricking the Moxi).

But at least you have a lot more notice than the ReplayTV folks had, Arris has almost two years to make this right with firmware updates or alternatives.

it sux they cut it off last summer but im glad they decided to do the right thing and cut it back on! hopefully, it will stay that way. Hopefully, moxi has changed its mind. I would pay $25/year but what i wont do is go back to a cable company charging $20/mo per dvr for the very same thing i already have but just on a different box (arris moxi gateway) with 3 new features. And ive seen software/firmware updates on cable company boxes are rare on those also but i can live with what i already have. Some dont seem to understand that firmware updates, etc. sent out to soo many users can mess up settings(return them to default), mess up the equipment itself if the box doesnt take the update, and cause more problems and aggravation than its worth. i could care less if they dont update moxi s/w ever again. i do need the guide updated and what i have now working properly. There's been a lot of 'talk' about the ARRIS Whole Home Solution but is it even being distributed to cable companies yet? I also hope they switch the internal hdd from seagate to western digital, etc. with this product but am in doubt as it still has 500GB hdd and 512mb memory with 6 tuners..lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I think Dave's column carries some weight in the industry more so than this thread does with Arris now. Removal of all mention of the cutoff date does suggests Arris are rethinking the decision.

I emailed ARRIS this AM to try and get some clarification on what removing that date implies... we'll see if/when they reply. I'll also reach out to folks at Multichannel and FierceCable to see if they can extract a comment on where we stand. In the meantime, I'll rerun this little graphic I produced based on some earlier Moxi marketing.

post #5403 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 346
Thanks for jumping in Dave.

Saw the graphic earlier. Pretty funny!

post #5404 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 AM
KzY

It's all how the business works. You quietly pull the plug and see if anyone notices. If not, more power to you. If so, you whether the small s**t storm and just leave the guide data for a little longer. Eventually most people will find another solution. I certainly will. All that removing the date tells me is that the guide data could disappear at any time instead of a fixed date.

I think I'll take a look at that source code to see how it pulls guide data when I have time. Just need something to feed it the data. Spoofing the source should be easy enough.
post #5405 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzY View Post

Eventually most people will find another solution. I certainly will. All that removing the date tells me is that the guide data could disappear at any time instead of a fixed date.

I'm in a position where for the moment I have disposable income, so I'll be purchasing a Ceton Q no matter what happens. For others however the choice is only to go back to cable DVR and throw out what could be perfectly working hardware.

Anyway, there's two years left yet* so still time for options and choices to appear.

* This date may change at any given time. Please follow AVS forum for more information. Other sources of tech news are available.

post #5406 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am disappointed as most Moxi owners must be. The business model of no reoccurring annuity income was/is risky and I knew that when I purchased the product. It is understandable that Arris has taken the Moxi and incorporated it into another solution.

That should not excuse Arris from abandoning their obligation that Moxi advertised and used to attract buyers with "for life" guide services. Not progressing the product via updates and new features is one thing; no longer providing the main function that makes the operation of the unit possible is another.

We will all migrate to the next best thing I am sure; many of us believed (and still do) that the Moxi was the best solution at the time purchased (at least I did) and we will again find the next one. For many (including me) the Moxi remains the best option available versus the cable-company-provided units or an expensive TiVO.

The 2013 date will go beyond my original ROI I had calculated versus using Comcast DVRs (at $17/mo each) so while the financial aspects are not as hard to take (but does not make it "right") I have yet to see any DVR product improve on the Moxi UI or interoperability aspects. Who knows how long the new Arris product bundle will take to be offered from "your local cable company" or at what price point?

I have sent an email to Arris management (to Bob) at least and am #18 on the petition. I have filed an FCC complaint in the past and sadly my experience showed that to be a total waste of time and effort. I wasn't sure if submitting a complaint from a California resident to the Georgia state agency was viable; there is time to follow up on that avenue.

I really like my Moxi and will use it as long as I can and will be sad when I have to chase another solution (likely not as good, friendly, or cost effective).
post #5407 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 12:48 PM

I'm actually surprised they only sold 5,000 of them... I knew it wasn't that well-known but I didn't think the tally would be that low.

FWIW, I now have two Tivo Elites. They do have some issues, but overall I'd call it an upgrade over the Moxi, and the WAF is off the charts compared to Moxi. The main downside (which is what drove me to Moxi in the first place) is the cost - Moxi had a huge advantage there with the mates. I still use the Moxi because I don't want to pay to put a Tivo in every room, and I'm hoping they eventually release a retail Preview (similar to the Mate) at a reasonable price.

The Ceton Q does look fantastic - although even if the actual product measures up, I'm not sure if I'll be able to convince my wife to jump ship from Tivo again.
post #5408 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 PM

I think it was best to post that information on the website and not just the internal messaging system of the moxi. More people are in the know about it. If only the 5000 moxi people could be in a centralized place..like here for say. I spent 2k on this stuff and wouldnt change a thing with my investment breaking even within 4 months. on top of that, i've had to have a couple hdds replaced but those arent that costly. Usually, companies are required to publicly notify customers through 1 of the following: newspapers, bills, website, messaging, etc. Updates could come through the moxi internal messaging system at some point in the future. anyway, shaw communications in canada kinda looks like satellite company?! i also noticed they a while back that they plan to sell the arris moxi gateway like it was w/ our equipment. Our moxi doesnt work w/ satellite company but i love cable tv anyway. i dont think arris will cut us off and will help in making sure it stays functional past 2013 and i am holding on to find out. on another note, i see 5000 x $1500 average cost= 7,500,000 reasons to keep the guide, etc. going. We have 3D capabilities so only a few new features are added on the arris moxi gateway.
post #5409 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post

I think it was best to post that information on the website and not just the internal messaging system of the moxi. More people are in the know about it. If only the 5000 moxi people could be in a centralized place.....

i dont think arris will cut us off and will help in making sure it stays functional past 2013 and i am holding on to find out. on another note, i see 5000 x $1500 average cost= 7,500,000 reasons to keep the guide, etc. going. We have 3D capabilities so only a few new features are added on the arris moxi gateway.

Yes. It would be great to notify all 5000 Moxi users so we can have them all voice their concern about the electronic program guide to Arris. Other than obtaining the customer list.... I do not see any way.. hence I am trying to post in all forums that have relavance to DVR. Notify zatz .. engadget etc...

As for the $7.5 million reason to keep it going.. .. no that is not a reason. However,there is a good reason for Arris NOT to provide the guide. The cost of providing the guide. Arris does not have revenue stream to offset that cost since they charge the premium upfront ($500+ for a unit).. Since they no longer sell the Retail Moxi HD unit. There is a $0 revenue stream. No reason to keep giving us the guide.It cost Arris money to give us the guide and maintain the Moxi servers. The cost might be marginal but with money pinching accountants they will always question that negative line on the balance sheet. Think about it this way... as soon as we buy a Moxi, we instantly become a liability for Moxi. Arris is a public company and their balance sheet will always be scruitinzed by investors. It would make sense to get rid of us or hid us somewhere...

Most company listen to the revenue stream..... something we do not give Arris.

So the only weapon we have is creating a public relations nightmare. and.. we have a trump card ..a wild card.. they kept the name Moxi for the home gateway (their golden ticket to profits). Imagine 5000 Retail Moxi users, who are civil now, drag the Moxi name in the mud while they are trying to sell the cable version of the Moxi. If someone takes a $1000 away from you.. at what lengths will you go to get it back? At what lengths will you let your displeasure be known.
post #5410 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 PM

i'd rather pay a small monthly fee ($5/mo) than have my current whole home solution bricked. i dont think many would be opposed to this. Arris paid like $20 million to digeo. They clearly believe in the technology and have built a box around it although it probably wasnt needed as the retail box was the best one yet.
post #5411 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i'd rather pay a small monthly fee ($5/mo) than have my current whole home solution bricked. i dont think many would be opposed to this. Arris paid like $20 million to digeo. They clearly believe in the technology and have built a box around it although it probably wasnt needed as the retail box was the best one yet.

If Arris agrees to provide the guide to you at $5 a month, what is preventing them from charging you $9.99 a month and then $19.99 more the following year since more and more Moxi users will jump to Ceton or Tivo. It is a bandaid at best. I think opening up the Moxi to use third party sources is the best. Arris tells their developers to put a place in the settings to modify where the Moxi gets guide data from. Arris and Schedules Direct can work out a way to create a guide for the users to change the settings

Arris can then focus on their Cable Gateway without worrying about is. (It would be nice to keep a developer to interface with Schedules Direct once in a while or so.)
post #5412 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM

yeah, you're probably right. i think moxi use Tribune Media Services for our guide so in my email to moxi..thats who i mentioned. no need to get others involved if it isnt needed. they do a good job now it seems. Moxi has responded both friday and saturday by pulling down the date. then again, Tribune haven't responded in a timely manner like Schedules Direct..lol.
post #5413 of 6285 Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhisr View Post

Since Charter uses Moxi boxes and gets their feed from Tribune services. Does this mean all of the Moxi boxes Charter has will go dead in 2014? How could the private owners get the feed from Charter?

we dont know. i don't think that arris would want the current moxi boxes that cable co.'s have to just drop services though. That would lead to the possibility of taking the product out of the consumers home for another brand of product. I just noticed that the cable company moxi dvrs(9012, mc3) are no longer on the moxi site so anything is possible. A lot of people chose this product from the cable company but when a motherboard goes out, hdd issues, lost of all recordings, etc...there is a possibly of choosing another product the next time around. i know that those cable company boxes are 2 way capable and provides access to ppv and vod. Most of us here can live w/o those features.
post #5414 of 6285 Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

They can't exactly start charging for guide data. That would open them up to law suits even more so than dropping guide data (since their marketing clearly stated that there are no monthly fees).

In any case the 4FP still works, I got my warranty replacement drive from Segate on Friday and it's up and running again. Ironically the drive is warrantied through 2015.

After using my HTPC with a ceton card in it for about a month, i wasn't sure what I was going to do with the Moxi. This situation made my decision easier.
post #5415 of 6285 Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM

i just know that they should take care of us. it would be nice to never have to pay moxi another fee as we were told, however, do we really believe this right now? i dunno. i hope i never have to pay another red cent and can keep it as long as it turns on!
post #5416 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I signed the online petition.
LOVE my Moxi.
Interested in Ceton Q (when it is available)
post #5417 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

I signed the online petition.
LOVE my Moxi.
Interested in Ceton Q (when it is available)

Thanks for signing the petition. If you can file the complaints as well as email those guys at Arris., it would be great
post #5418 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 PM

A few weeks ago we incorrectly posted a notice regarding discontinuation of our Moxi program guide data. We currently have no plans to discontinue service. Thank you for your support.
post #5419 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRIS_Moxi View Post

A few weeks ago we incorrectly posted a notice regarding discontinuation of our Moxi program guide data. We currently have no plans to discontinue service. Thank you for your support.

Bravo! Thanks for clearing this up!

However, not to sound ungrateful, as you state Arris currently have no plans to discontinue service. What happens in the future event that Arris does decide to discontinue Moxi program guide data? Is there a contingency plans in place? Will an alternative be in place to to give Moxi owners a way to get the guide from a third party source (Schedules Direct)?

btw, nice to know you guys are monitoring the forums.
post #5420 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:

ARRIS_Moxi? Riiiight. Spoof much?
post #5421 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdellera View Post

ARRIS_Moxi? Riiiight. Spoof much?

See their webpage.
post #5422 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 PM

I happily stand corrected!

But really ARRIS_Moxi with 1 post? I'll always be suspicious under those conditions.
post #5423 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Crisis averted!

Make the most of that one post, it's the most interaction with the user base that Arris have had in over a year - here and on Facebook and Twitter. Now they can go back to ignoring everyone again.

I'll still be buying a Q because I don't sense any improvements coming even if the guide still runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

btw, nice to know you guys are monitoring the forums.

I think the only reason they appeared here is because you linked to the thread on Facebook.

post #5424 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM

Liked: 11
Wow! This whole topic is totally new to me until I saw a notice just now on Facebook that said, "A few weeks ago we incorrectly posted a notice regarding discontinuation of our Moxi program guide data. We currently have no plans to discontinue service. Thank you for your support."

I never had an issue with my MOXI before, beyond upgrading my hard drive, so I never had a reason to look for anything here on the forum. When I saw that Facebook message, I began to worry. Although I have somewhat calmed down, I am still a bit worried...especially when I saw here from someone that a low number of units were sold, and that Amazon no longer sells it.

I'm hoping that everything with MOXI can remain stable with the guides until after I pay my income taxes, so that I can possibly purchase a Ceton card and a decent desktop to install the card into.

D@mn, I just got the MOXI last year to replace my three aging ReplayTV units that I've had for many years, and now it's strongly looking like I will need to replace my one MOXI that I've had for around a year.

ReplayTV seemed to have went through a similar situation as MOXI, so I can't help but wonder to myself if a similar issue could happen with Ceton.
post #5425 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I think the only reason they appeared here is because you linked to the thread on Facebook.

That is not me!

ssssh!! I wish to remain anonymous or they may zap my Moxi.
post #5426 of 6285 Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 PM

lol. thanks ARRIS_Moxi for appearing and giving us some assurance! You didnt just post it on the website..you joined and posted here too. i love my moxi's..lol. On another note, if someone has those analog adapters up for grabs..pm me.
post #5427 of 6285 Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:

How do you "incorrectly post" information regarding shutting down a vital service? That would be like Microsoft "incorrectly post" that they were going to stop making Windows or Office. That just doesn't happen and I don't buy it. If you are now saying you are going to continue servicing existing customers then let's call a spade a spade: You are either (a) lying or (b) you WERE going to stop publishing guide data, but now you are backpedalling.

I would have been willing to continue with the MOXI line had it been continually developed. I understand other's points about the flat fee versus monthly charge making it a difficult proposition for MOXI to succeed, however, I did not go into MOXI with the expectation that it would become a doorstop. I understand that companies have to make money, but why couldn't they do a charge for upgrade model like many other companies have employed (software companies, for example). I would be willing to pay some flat amount for added features over time.

I guess I'll be looking at alternatives such as TiVo's new streaming capability. I am hopeful that they will come out with a TiVo "Mate"-type box for other rooms. I used to be in a mindset that would make the Ceton attractive, but not any longer. I want a pre-packaged, full-featured box. Is TiVo the only such option?
post #5428 of 6285 Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidt View Post

I guess I'll be looking at alternatives such as TiVo's new streaming capability. I am hopeful that they will come out with a TiVo "Mate"-type box for other rooms. I used to be in a mindset that would make the Ceton attractive, but not any longer. I want a pre-packaged, full-featured box. Is TiVo the only such option?

Wait for the Ceton Q (check this forum for info) it has the streaming capability and Mate-type boxes of the Moxi and includes the benefits of Windows Media Center without the need to build a HTPC.

post #5429 of 6285 Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161
Quote:

How do you "incorrectly post" information regarding shutting down a vital service? That would be like Microsoft "incorrectly post" that they were going to stop making Windows or Office. That just doesn't happen and I don't buy it. If you are now saying you are going to continue servicing existing customers then let's call a spade a spade: You are either (a) lying or (b) you WERE going to stop publishing guide data, but now you are backpedalling.

+1, but I don't think you're going to get an answer - this guy was probably a one-and-done poster for damage control.
post #5430 of 6285 Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

How do you "incorrectly post" information regarding shutting down a vital service?

I believe it's called "Testing the waters" . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page