2Likes

post #6241 of 6258 Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Time to replace your hdd. Thats in a separate thread here.
2nd
It is easy, just like replacing a SATA drive. You will lose current recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6258 Old 06-28-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I recently purchased a Sony 4K TV (XBR-65X900A) and started having audio problems. What is happening is after fast forwarding or skipping ahead the audio stops (still have video). Usually rewinding for a couple seconds and then playing will bring audio back. Anyone else experienced this? The Moxi is connected directly to the TV (doesn't pass through my receiver).
post #6243 of 6258 Old 06-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No but my sony bravia kdl40xbr9 will do similar with moxi. It will stop playing audio, tv auto turn off, and then back on. They couldnt fix it..maybe an hdmi handshaking issue. I gave up as i like these better than the 40" samsung models
post #6244 of 6258 Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
No but my sony bravia kdl40xbr9 will do similar with moxi. It will stop playing audio, tv auto turn off, and then back on. They couldnt fix it..maybe an hdmi handshaking issue. I gave up as i like these better than the 40" samsung models
Interesting. It didn't do it with my other Sony TV (~2009 KDL-46Z4100). I did submit a ticket with Moxi support so we'll see what they say.
post #6245 of 6258 Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Charter cable

Got a couple of questions. I am thinking about getting a used unit from ebay and was wondering if VOD would work. Charter just went all digital in my area so there should be no problem with getting all the channels. I assume channel listings are still being updated as well. I know I will have to have an internet connection to get this done. Also will I be able to get support for a used unit?

Any other concerns I should be aware of?

Thank you.
post #6246 of 6258 Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 AM

Liked: 18
Make sure u are getting a retail moxi box. It wont have charter on it. U cant get vod but heard u can call in to charter to get a ppv. The listings are updated and moxi support could open a ticket if they arent.
post #6247 of 6258 Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xignals View Post
Got a couple of questions. I am thinking about getting a used unit from ebay and was wondering if VOD would work. Charter just went all digital in my area so there should be no problem with getting all the channels. I assume channel listings are still being updated as well. I know I will have to have an internet connection to get this done. Also will I be able to get support for a used unit?

Any other concerns I should be aware of?

Thank you.
I also have a used 3 Tuner Moxi if you are looking to purchase one. Haven't used it in years but it's been stored in the original box in my garage if you're interested just message me. I can't answer your question as it's been a while since I used the device (no Cable companies out here).
post #6248 of 6258 Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Sent messages to both of you about buying your old Moxi.
post #6249 of 6258 Old 07-05-2014, 09:21 PM

I did some experimenting today with connecting one of my Moxi Mates via powerline and wireless adapters. In my experience I have always been let down with wireless networking and hardwire every component that has a Ethernet port (22 of the 24 ports are being used between my router and switches). I have spent many hours fishing Cat6 ethernet cable through walls, attics and the crawl space. Recently I needed to add another Moxi Mate to a guest bedroom. The thought of wading through the attic insulation motivated me to look at other solutions. I tried out two different wireless devices and a powerline adapter. I did a lot of experimenting and ended up deciding a wireless range extender worked best for my needs. These can plug directly into the wall and have a single Ethernet port for plugging into the Moxi Mate.

For those who don't know, you can check the connection link speed between the Moxi and Moxi Mate by doing the following: Hit the Moxi button, then scroll to the Media Link. Scroll up and highlight Moxi HD DVR, then hit the Info button on the remote. Scroll up to "check connectivity" and hit Ok. It will run and test and show 'Bandwidth Statistics'. Typically with a hardwire connection I will get between 85 and 95 Mbps. The Moxi has a 10/100 Ethernet port so this is near the theoretical maximum speed of the port. I used this as a reference when testing out wireless and the powerline adapters. Results are as follows:

NETGEAR AC750 -802.11AC Dual Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Range Extender (EX6100)
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-802-11...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Bandwidth Statics: ~91 Mbps
This is a dual band device that supports 802.11AC. I have a Netgear R7000 router which is a 802.11AC router. The location where I needed the extender was up one level from the router about 30' away. I found that my speeds were better on the 2.5GHz than the 5GHz. So I set the extender to connect to the router on 2.5Ghz only. I also shut off the range extender feature of the device and am strictly using it as a wireless to wired adapter. This device gives me near wired speeds and the Moxi Mate works flawlessly. Results will vary based on distance to your router. Also, this device only uses 2 watts per my Killawatt meter.

Belkin N300 Dual Band Wireless N Range Extender
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-N300-Wi...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Bandwidth Statics: ~86 Mbps
This is also a dual band device that supports up to 802.11n but not 802.11AC. Results were similar to the Netgear. A little slower, but still close to the wire speeds. This device was not as configurable and I wasn't able to turn off the range extender feature.

NETGEAR XWNB5201 Powerline 500Mbps to N300 Wi-Fi Access Point
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Bandwidth Statics: ~78 Mbps
First time I've tried using powerline and I have to say it exceeded my expectations. When on the same breaker these are undiscernible from wired. Speeds seemed to slow as you get further away or cross to a different breaker or buss. But, the throughput is more than adequate to use a Moxi Mate on. I probably would have stuck with the powerline adapters, but a disadvantage was it took up one extra wall socket and a Ethernet port.

Just thought I would post my observations for anyone looking to expand a Moxi Mate where wired access is a problem. I realize results will vary based on many factors (location, distance, wiring). I know others have had poor results with running a Moxi Mate wireless.
post #6250 of 6258 Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
For those who don't know, you can check the connection link speed between the Moxi and Moxi Mate by doing the following: Hit the Moxi button, then scroll to the Media Link. Scroll up and highlight Moxi HD DVR, then hit the Info button on the remote. Scroll up to "check connectivity" and hit Ok. It will run and test and show 'Bandwidth Statistics'. Typically with a hardwire connection I will get between 85 and 95 Mbps. The Moxi has a 10/100 Ethernet port so this is near the theoretical maximum speed of the port. I used this as a reference when testing out wireless and the powerline adapters. Results are as follows:
Very cool -- I didn't know that! For me (and perhaps for others), I have to hit the "Next" button on the remote after doing "check connectivity" to see the results -- I now know both of my Mates connect to both of my Moxis at 94+ Mbps. I'm not looking for any alternatives at this time, but this is good info to have for the future just in case. Somehow, I don't know that my dh would be as willing to let me drill through floors/walls to run cable if we relocate after retirement as he was willing to do when I set up the networking in this house a decade or so ago :-)
post #6251 of 6258 Old 07-10-2014, 09:41 AM

I purchased another Moxi DVR and Moxi Mate from a forum member on here. Brings my total household Moxi count to 2 Moxi's and 4 Moxi Mates. I officially have more Moxi's than TV's! Guess it's time to buy some more TV's.

Spent some time playing around last night. Made me appreciate the Moxi all the more. Some observations.

1) I remember Moxi not recommending more than 3 Mates connected to 1 DVR. I can confirm that the Moxi will work with 4 Mates at a time. Obviously still limited by the 3 Tuners but I was able to stream HD to all 4 Mates simultaneously. Pretty cool!

2) Adding a 2nd DVR to the mix is awesome. I know this has been posted before, but very cool how all recorded programs between each DVR are integrated into one list and can be viewed from any connected Mate or DVR.

3) I thought I read this was not possible, but you CAN watch live TV on one Moxi DVR using a tuner from a different Moxi DVR (same as the Moxi Mate does). This can be done using the Media Link and connecting to the second Moxi DVR. You may ask why you would want to do this when the DVR has it's own tuners. Well in my case I get a number of clear-QAM channels without a cablecard. I can map these to actual channels in my second DVR as normal. My main Moxi has a cablecard and includes additional channels included with my cable subscription. A second cablecard is $5.99/month so this ability allows me to watch channels from the Main DVR without needing the extra cablecard. Awesome!
tveli and TeeJay1952 like this.
post #6252 of 6258 Old 07-11-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Our local area cable company just released the Arris 6 tuner gateway and media player product. See here: http://www.secv.com/birdsboro/prod_gateway_birds.html

Anyone have experience with this new Arris version? Its a big box with built in eMTA, wireless, DOCSIS 3 modem, 4 ports ethernet, battery backup, eSATA port and Moca. Then at each TV you install these smaller Moca enabled "Media Players" and they get all the data from the gateway (which I presume is where the m-cable card is as well).

Can you create a custom channel lineup, aka a favorites list? I would want to eliminate all SD duplicates, or if possible downmap HD from lets say 503 to 3 for example.

I currently have DirecTV and like it, but would consider this Arris system if it is any good. If you wouldn't count premium channels, this cable company has more HD than DirecTV. However we know that won't be forever as DirecTV is going to launch new satellites.
post #6253 of 6258 Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
Our local area cable company just released the Arris 6 tuner gateway and media player product. See here: http://www.secv.com/birdsboro/prod_gateway_birds.html

Anyone have experience with this new Arris version? Its a big box with built in eMTA, wireless, DOCSIS 3 modem, 4 ports ethernet, battery backup, eSATA port and Moca. Then at each TV you install these smaller Moca enabled "Media Players" and they get all the data from the gateway (which I presume is where the m-cable card is as well).

Can you create a custom channel lineup, aka a favorites list? I would want to eliminate all SD duplicates, or if possible downmap HD from lets say 503 to 3 for example.

I currently have DirecTV and like it, but would consider this Arris system if it is any good. If you wouldn't count premium channels, this cable company has more HD than DirecTV. However we know that won't be forever as DirecTV is going to launch new satellites.
My local cable company also offers the 6-tuner Arris all-in-one home network gateway (http://www.wavebroadband.com/for-hom...twork-gateway/), however I have not used it. They charge a premium price for it even over the Motorola multiroom DVR and each client is $7/month. My setup of 2 Moxi DVR's and 4 Moxi Mates would be $68/month equipment rental, rather than just the $5.99 I pay now for a cablecard. My understanding is the user interface is basically the same as the consumer Moxi. The Moxi Mates are the same as the Gateway Clients but require hardwired Ethernet vice Moca.

If the Gateway is the same as the Moxi you can add/remove channels from your lineup so only the channels you want to see are in the guide. The Moxi also has a "Favorites" icon in the cross media menu which keeps track of the channels you watch most frequently. Remapping channels is possible when there isn't a cablecard in the Moxi, but you cannot remap channels with a cablecard installed as it does it automatically.
post #6254 of 6258 Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

Download the guide from the link at the bottom of that page.

Apart from the phone and VOD menus, adding a channel manually to the favorites list seems to be the only upgrade the Moxi UI has had since the retail version was discontinued. But as mentioned, you can remove any channel you want to from the main guide anyway.

post #6255 of 6258 Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM

This is why Arris stopped selling the Moxi do to this new DVR for the cable company's I was told from Moxi techs. It would of be nice they could of sold it to the consumer also, I assume the cable company's would not stand for it, and made them sell it to them selves so they could make the money on the rental part of it.
post #6256 of 6258 Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1960 View Post
This is why Arris stopped selling the Moxi do to this new DVR for the cable company's I was told from Moxi techs. It would of be nice they could of sold it to the consumer also, I assume the cable company's would not stand for it, and made them sell it to them selves so they could make the money on the rental part of it.
It wasn't the cablecos it was Arris who decided to stop selling it. Like many acquisitions Arris bought Moxi just for the tech to use in their own equipment. Arris makes all their money selling technology to cable operators.

post #6257 of 6258 Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Roamio to replace Moxi

Asking on this thread because would like response from people familiar with Moxi. I have 3 Moxi DVRs and 3 Mates connected to 6 TVs in my house (family of 4 but TVs on different floors). Went with 3 DVRs because the delay on the Mates on live shows was annoying for all, especially on sports (one room would see what happened before the other). Does anybody know if Tivo Mini suffers from similar issues? Would be great to simply get one Tivo Roamio Pro and 5 Minis. Would need two less cable cards which partially makes up for the membership cost.
post #6258 of 6258 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post
Asking on this thread because would like response from people familiar with Moxi. I have 3 Moxi DVRs and 3 Mates connected to 6 TVs in my house (family of 4 but TVs on different floors). Went with 3 DVRs because the delay on the Mates on live shows was annoying for all, especially on sports (one room would see what happened before the other). Does anybody know if Tivo Mini suffers from similar issues? Would be great to simply get one Tivo Roamio Pro and 5 Minis. Would need two less cable cards which partially makes up for the membership cost.
Good question, curious myself. You may have better luck asking about delay on the Minis in the Tivo thread. The delay between live TV on the main Moxi and Moxi Mate(s) is likely due to processing the feed over Ethernet. I suspect the Minis are also prone to it but couldn't say for sure. I have noticed the delay but it is a rarity in my household for a Moxi and Mate within earshot watching live TV on the same channel and in reality it is probably less than 2 seconds. Could see how it would be annoying when the next room erupts after a big play. Less cablecard fees is a nice bonus, although I'm sure the monthly Tivo and Mini subscription fees would far exceed the savings in 2 cablecards.

**UPDATE**A quick google search found a answer to your question about live TV delay on Tivo Mini. Appears it also has a 1-3 second delay:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...50#post9862050

Last edited by teeitup; Yesterday at 10:46 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page