post #6271 of 6298 Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xignals View Post
Yes it is the 3-tuner MR-1500T3 and a MP-1000 Mate. Had about 3 of the large silver boxes since 2004 when Charter got them in my area. Loved it to death
but one of the tuners quit and the unit started rebooting all the time. I cuss the DVR I got in replacement everyday so can't wait to get the Moxi!
Well the Moxi hardware should last longer than the old Charter boxes, fingers-crossed the Arris service does.

When activating you'll need this link https://accounts.moxi.com/account_activate.jsp

Your firewall/router may cause a problem so I would connect directly to your modem during installation and bypass the firewall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6298 Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
So for the 6 tuner cable version, you pair each remote with each "media player" and they are RF remotes. I have a Logitech Harmony that does not do RF so I'm wondering if both RFCE and IR are active at the same time. The Harmony is only in the room with my Yamaha AVR and Xbox 360.

I also wonder if you can register a cable issued unit with moxi.com. Would be nice to use remote DVR scheduling and iPad app.
post #6273 of 6298 Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The cable issued unit would go through the cable providers site for online scheduling...if they allow that capability speaking of the provider.
post #6274 of 6298 Old 07-19-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh well my cable provider does not advertise any sort of remote programming functionality.

Does it support HDMI-CEC control at least?
post #6275 of 6298 Old 07-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
As Cypherstream has mentioned our cable provider (Service Electric) has started using the Arris Whole Home Solution recently. What has to be noted that the Gateway is a headless unit that incorporates a cable systems triple play services. The Gateway has the DVR hard drive (500GB), a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, a telephone modem, and a wireless router with 2.4GHz and 5GHz support. The Gateway does not hook to any of your TVs so you will need to rent a Media Player for each TV.
Also I called to find out if you can disable the router but I figure you can not because the DVR is connected to the built in router internally so you will have to use the provided router. The supervisor I spoke to said he would call me back about disabling the router but never did. I also wanted to know if the Media Players can be hooked up solely by Ethernet and he said sort of. His answer if the Gateway is placed near a Media Player they would hook it to the gateway by Ethernet cable but other wise they would use MoCA. He also did not know how well the router would work with switches. He had no idea what DLNA was so I can not confirm if that still works. The ticker is still working.
What this setup has in common with the Moxi and Mate setup is the UI is the same but the cable operator can use a different color background. The remote control is the same. You also have to set up an account with ARRIS just like a Moxi account which gives remote scheduling. The guide data comes from Tribune Media Services.
Some of the downsides is the Media Player will release the tuner after 8 hours of no use. You can have 6 Media Players hooked up which depending on use will reduce the number of tuners to record. You have to use the built in wireless router which gives your cable system to much control over your in home network. Depending on the number of TVs you have it is somewhat expensive to rent, for me it will be about $30/month for two TVs. There is also a $50 set up charge at installation. Our cable system also incorporated around the clock caps on the internet so any service you use of theirs that uses the cable modem will count against the cap including the Gateway getting guide updates. On our system you must have at least TV and internet or TV, internet, and phone with them to get the Whole Home System. If any of the services in the Gateway fail the whole unit has to be replaced as no of the components in the Gateway can be serviced individually, except for the battery back up for the phone.

Just for reference here is the User manuals for the Moxi and Mates as the Moxi.com site is still up and running.
http://www.moxi.com/us/
Moxi HD DVR User guide:
http://moxi.com/us/support/MC4R/moxi...sers_guide.pdf
Moxi Mate User guide:
http://moxi.com/us/support/moxi_mate...sers_guide.pdf
Moxi Remoter User guide:
http://moxi.com/us/support/MC4R/Moxi...emotecodes.pdf

Here is some links from Arris about the Whole Home Solution.
http://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=678
http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/whs.asp

Here is some links to my cable system about the Arris setup.
Note: If you get a pop up asking for Zip Code put 17931 in the box.
http://www.secv.com/mahanoy/index_mah.html
http://www.secv.com/mahanoy/prod_gateway_mah.html
Gateway User guide:
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/gateway_userguide.pdf
Gateway quick start guide:
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/gateway_quickguide.pdf
Remote Control guide:
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/gateway_remote.pdf

Links from the sister division of my cable system for the Arris setup:
http://www.sectv.com/Web/aspHome.aspx?strSystem=LV
Pricing and description:
http://www.sectv.com/Web/aspEquipSEN...x?strSystem=LV
They offer the Arris Sling Box but you have to buy it for $159.95: Our division does not offer this.
http://cableproductsdirect.com/

My cable system was also testing TiVos but went with the Arris set up as it was cheaper than TiVo but as you can see Arris really did nothing with the Moxi software since they bought it. The recent TiVo summer update changes the software from Adobe Flash to Haxe and we got a whole new user interface. The cable company issued TiVos will get this and more in September. Digeo wrote the Moxi UI in 2008 so it is now 6 years old and in another 4 years it will be a decade old. I severely doubt Arris will do a fresh rewrite of the Moxi UI. I mentioned this to the supervisor of my division and he said that the Arris setup is easier on them to setup especially for the CSRs. He said the TiVos were to advanced for them to understand.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6276 of 6298 Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tivo's were too advanced for them to understand? LOL, that's not saying much for those employees. Thanks for the contribution Jed!
post #6277 of 6298 Old 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM

@Jed1 : so are youre saying that u created an account on moxi.com for your 2 boxes.
post #6278 of 6298 Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
@Jed1: so are youre saying that u created an account on moxi.com for your 2 boxes.

I did not go forward with renting the set up as you can not disable the built in router. I want to use my own router and I do not like the idea of the cable company having control over my LAN.

From my understanding at what the supervisor told me you have to register an account with Arris in order for you to get out of home scheduling etc. He did mention also that the boxes need to be registered with Arris in order to work. This is exactly how it was done with Moxi and also TiVo. The guide data comes to the boxes through Arris which in turn comes from Tribune Media Services. So in order for the box to get guide updates it has to have a constant internet connection just like the Moxi did and also how TiVos work.
Software wise the Arris Whole Home Gateway is no different than the Moxi and Mates as the only difference is Arris made the main Gateway a headless triple play box with a hard drive.

Quite simply the only thing Arris done is put their name on the mates and redesigned the main unit to appeal to cable operators. Practically everything else is the same. Something else has to be noted here is that the management of cable companies are mostly older analog guys with no knowledge of things that have been on the market for years now. They do not understand what Windows Media Center can do, they do not know that this Arris unit was Moxi and was on the retail market, no understanding of TiVos and how they work, no clue about Sling Boxes, DLNA, and on and on. They only understand about the boxes that Motorola (Arris) and Scientific Atlantic (Cisco) made and the Gemstar (Rovi) I Guide or Passport Echo software. The CSRs are trained by companies that give seminars that specialize in customer relations. The CSRs get their scripts (talking points) from management. They also have no experience with any devices or technology that has been on the market.

I severely doubt that Arris will make any big changes to the software as they are really a hardware vendor for cable companies so do not be surprised that the Moxi UI will be around for years to come. My cable operator is small and they have been using the I Guide for over a decade now and have no intent to change that with their non Arris boxes.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6279 of 6298 Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah they are using the media player at each tv, the device in the middle of the three devices in this picture:
https://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=679

This is the newer one with the capacitive touch buttons and white / hyper blue LED display on the front.

These are paired with the Media Gateway 5-series
http://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=36

This big behemoth replaces your modem, emta, wifi and router. So you can put it where your cable modem is currently. Since its connected there via coax, it transmits Moca data so your media players can access the QAM tuners / M-cable card / DVR Hard Drive. So you can put this box in your office or utility closet, etc.. basically wherever your existing modem/router is.

A friend of mine is an installer and he's only done a few of these. So far most people are putting the gateway and first media player on top of each other at the main TV. So you do have that option as well.

Interesting to know the Arris account works. Maybe that means the iPad app can work to remote control it? I'm waiting until the provider offers the remainder of the premium channels in HD. One screen of each premium in HD doesn't cut it IMO for the price you pay. I will stick with DirecTV for now.
post #6280 of 6298 Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I did not go forward with renting the set up as you can not disable the built in router. I want to use my own router and I do not like the idea of the cable company having control over my LAN.

From my understanding at what the supervisor told me you have to register an account with Arris in order for you to get out of home scheduling etc. He did mention also that the boxes need to be registered with Arris in order to work. This is exactly how it was done with Moxi and also TiVo. The guide data comes to the boxes through Arris which in turn comes from Tribune Media Services. So in order for the box to get guide updates it has to have a constant internet connection just like the Moxi did and also how TiVos work.
Software wise the Arris Whole Home Gateway is no different than the Moxi and Mates as the only difference is Arris made the main Gateway a headless triple play box with a hard drive.

Quite simply the only thing Arris done is put their name on the mates and redesigned the main unit to appeal to cable operators. Practically everything else is the same. Something else has to be noted here is that the management of cable companies are mostly older analog guys with no knowledge of things that have been on the market for years now. They do not understand what Windows Media Center can do, they do not know that this Arris unit was Moxi and was on the retail market, no understanding of TiVos and how they work, no clue about Sling Boxes, DLNA, and on and on. They only understand about the boxes that Motorola (Arris) and Scientific Atlantic (Cisco) made and the Gemstar (Rovi) I Guide or Passport Echo software. The CSRs are trained by companies that give seminars that specialize in customer relations. The CSRs get their scripts (talking points) from management. They also have no experience with any devices or technology that has been on the market.

I severely doubt that Arris will make any big changes to the software as they are really a hardware vendor for cable companies so do not be surprised that the Moxi UI will be around for years to come. My cable operator is small and they have been using the I Guide for over a decade now and have no intent to change that with their non Arris boxes.
I understand about not wanted cable co to have control of the lan. some cable co's limit things that can be done with the touch of a button. heck, I didn't even want the cable co to use a converged hsd/telephone device so I still have separate devices. I figure if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it.
post #6281 of 6298 Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Moxi Mate questions

So my Moxi is up and running great. But I have a few questions about the Mate.

Is there not a way to start a recording from the Mate?

I noticed there is an eSATA port on the back. Can a hard drive be added to allow recording from the Mate?

I am using a wireless gaming adapter for the Mate since I do not have CAT5 run upstairs. Could this be the reason it is a little laggy
with channel changes?

Thank you.
post #6282 of 6298 Old 07-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
So my Moxi is up and running great. But I have a few questions about the Mate.

Is there not a way to start a recording from the Mate?

There's no way to manage recordings (schedule or delete) from a Mate (or from another Moxi, if you have more than one). In theory, you can schedule from the Web site interface, and that's also an iPhone/iPad app. In reality, I find the Web site scheduling to be pretty glitchy, and I also had issues with the iPhone app (which I haven't used in a couple of years now).

Quote:
I noticed there is an eSATA port on the back. Can a hard drive be added to allow recording from the Mate?
No. I haven't a clue as to the purpose of the eSATA port on the Mates -- hopefully someone else can shed some light on that.

Quote:
I am using a wireless gaming adapter for the Mate since I do not have CAT5 run upstairs. Could this be the reason it is a little laggy with channel changes?
I don't think so. My network is all CAT5 and I have a lag with channel changes on both Mates. I think it's the nature of the beast.
post #6283 of 6298 Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
I haven't a clue as to the purpose of the eSATA port on the Mates -- hopefully someone else can shed some light on that.
Probably the same reason the USB ports exist. Future potential that got killed when Arris bought the company. If live streaming hadn't already been almost complete and integral to the Arris Whole Home DVR then I would expect they would have pulled the plug on that too instead of releasing the update.

I run CAT6 and the channel delay is there too. Nothing much we can do about it. Without software improvements and preferably faster hardware, we will have to make do with whatever we have.

(Jeez, just looked up how old Moxi is now and the hardware will be 6 years old at the end of the year.)
sslund likes this.

Last edited by VisionOn; 07-29-2014 at 11:19 AM.
post #6284 of 6298 Old 07-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Although the moxi ui is aging, its better than most cable boxes and even tivos. Someone said tivo use sd or hd for specific menus...weird. maybe they fixed that error now hopefully.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #6285 of 6298 Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thank you everyone for the replies. Find it a little disappointing I can not kick off a recording from the Mate but the app should fill that void as I keep my tablet close by. On the other hand just LOVE LOVE LOVE the ability to pick up watching a show on the Mate. What makes this all worth it is that the wife commented on how cool that was. Coming from her that is high praise!

Glad to hear that the delay is not due to wireless. I was about to start drilling holes and running cable lol.

I just love what they have done with the interface. Just beautiful! I am so glad to have this! Being able to buffer two channels again is the one thing that drove me crazy with the crap DVR from Charter. Crazy what you miss after having it for so long and then losing it. This will just be awesome to have when football starts.

Now time to explore what else this thing can do!

Thanks again!
post #6286 of 6298 Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i bought a used moxi-mate to use with my 2-tuner moxi and its new hard disk. i should have done this years ago, of course!

i've got the moximate on a netgear universal N300 wifi to ethernet adapter. current wifi router/hub is a cisco 9200, which has xmitter that is known flakey. i have dlink DIR-632 ready to install soon, probaby for my next test of the moxi-mate.

initial testing of the moximate in my network shows that it sometimes gets laggy display, can't be sure why. seems pausing/resuming helps it catch up.
also it noticeably degrades 'speedtest' out to the internet , from 12Mbits download benchmarked via iphone, to about 3.5 megabits/sec download, when the moxi-mate is playing.
my son notices some slowness via his minecraft/ps3/etc online gaming when the moxi-mate is playing.

i'll probably run some tests with hard-wires too, since i have some looong ethernet cables. also i can provide the long wire to my son so he can bypass the wifi if he wants.

anyone got advice/experience about how to optimize wifi for mixed moximate & gaming & netflix & general IP traffic?
post #6287 of 6298 Old 08-08-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

anyone got advice/experience about how to optimize wifi for mixed moximate & gaming & netflix & general IP traffic?
Wireless can be flaky. I did some experimenting recently (see a few posts back) and found wireless ok for the mates as long as your using wireless n or better and close to your router. You will start to get the audio/video dropouts especially once you add the bandwidth requirements of the other devices you are trying to run on the same adapter. I'm sure you will see better results with your hardwire trial. I have a total of 6 Moxis/Mates. 4 of the 6 are hardwired. The other two are on powerline. I try to avoid wireless whenever possible.
post #6288 of 6298 Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
i bought a used moxi-mate to use with my 2-tuner moxi and its new hard disk. i should have done this years ago, of course!

i've got the moximate on a netgear universal N300 wifi to ethernet adapter. current wifi router/hub is a cisco 9200, which has xmitter that is known flakey. i have dlink DIR-632 ready to install soon, probaby for my next test of the moxi-mate.

initial testing of the moximate in my network shows that it sometimes gets laggy display, can't be sure why. seems pausing/resuming helps it catch up.
also it noticeably degrades 'speedtest' out to the internet , from 12Mbits download benchmarked via iphone, to about 3.5 megabits/sec download, when the moxi-mate is playing.
my son notices some slowness via his minecraft/ps3/etc online gaming when the moxi-mate is playing.

i'll probably run some tests with hard-wires too, since i have some looong ethernet cables. also i can provide the long wire to my son so he can bypass the wifi if he wants.

Sometime you need to connect the Moxi's directly to the router instead of a switch. I had mine connected through a switch when I moved I didn't remember what switch I had it connected to now I have it direct to router per Moxi customer service no lagging.
post #6289 of 6298 Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I had lag and slowness with my router until I learned that certain channels were better for non-interference, etc. Expert articles recommend Ch. 1, 6 or 11.

I switched from Auto channel selection to Ch. 6 and my speed and stability improved dramatically.
post #6290 of 6298 Old 08-08-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
I had lag and slowness with my router until I learned that certain channels were better for non-interference, etc. Expert articles recommend Ch. 1, 6 or 11.

I switched from Auto channel selection to Ch. 6 and my speed and stability improved dramatically.
I use an app called Wifi Analyzer which shows you all the Wifi SSID's and signal strength around you and what channel they are on. Works great to find the channels with the least amount of traffic to avoid interference.
post #6291 of 6298 Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
tnx for all the ideas folks. was hoping for extreme spousal approval via wifi moxi-mate/tv-on-sunporch setup and other places where there is no coax.

for an HD channel, is the moxi smart enough to send less data to the mate when mate is set for 480i compared to when it's set for 1080i? presumably for rendering an non-HD recording/live-channel, it would be sending less data than for HD recording/live-channel. less lag and more wifi range in that case? this will all be observable with the various analyzer/wireshark tools.
post #6292 of 6298 Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just a few tips, comments, and some answers after having reviewed the last several months of this thread:

1. I've had my Moxi 2-tuner since almost the beginning when they were first offered and Moxi had significant marketing. I had helped the developers with qualifying external eSATA drives, including a LaCie 6TB RAID system.

I had gone to the Moxi since the HD capability of TiVo was quite sorry, and it wasn't clear that TiVo would be around for much longer. Definitely quite a few years ago. I was moving up from DirecTV, and FiOS was installed in my neighborhood.

Unit has been great for years, and had to replace the original HDD with a Seagate 1.5TB which was the largest at the time.

Happy user, so never paid much attention to the 3-tuner model, or the Moxi Mate until last year.

After exploring several distribution schemes, HDMI extenders, remote extenders, etc, I bought a used Mate from Amazon user, and I was surprised at how well it worked - even zippier than my sometimes sluggish 2-tuner box. For networking, I used Moca to get down to the other end of my home (100 ft away). I tried WiFi and powerline networking, and neither was reliable. With Moca and the Coax run I already had, the Mate "just worked".

Picked up a second Mate on ebay a few weeks ago (got it as the only bidder ?!?) and discovered something during setup. Being lazy, I tried to set it up in the same room as the Moxi DVR as that is where I had an extra hardwired ethernet port, and it just would not listen to the Remote. I thought the remote was bad, or the IR sensor was bad as I was able to use the front panel buttons to start the setup. When it came to typing in numbers one must use the remote. Tried the remote that was included, my 2 spares, and my Logitech. None would work.

Then I recalled that the Moxi DVR might be retransmitting IR signals, so I covered the DVR with a blanket and then then Mate responded to the remote. Phew. Now the 2nd Mate is working fine, and I will be using it for offline digitizing of recordings. Sure wish it worked with FiOS video-on-demand.

2. Recordings on the DVR are in whatever format was originally recorded. With the Mate, the original bit-rate is sent, and the Mate down-reses to whatever you have the Mate set to, so no reduction of network traffic. I run a 100Mbps hardwired network in the house for all the TV/DVR/Video media stuff. I also have several hotspots setup throughout the house with individual names rather than extending the network with a common name. I have a mix of Apple and non-Apple access points (for testing) and several switches, and found that extending the WiFi acros the several access points was unreliable.

Some questions:
a) has anyone figured out how to extract media files for reuse/transcoding? For now I use ElGato and Hauppaugue HD-DVR as digitizers/transcoders. Time consuming, but good results.
b) Any Android remote programming app?
c) Any other Moxi forums to visit, besides this one and the HDD replacement thread?

I hope the Moxi stays alive for a long time, as I 'm not looking forward to going back to TiVo. I also have the Motorola FiOS DVRs, but they see little use since they are so small in capacity. Frontier was nice enough to send me out some newer boxes with 500GB drives inside, but I haven't had the time to swap them in. Also not sure what problems they might introduce as the original ones are still running fine.

Thanks to all for the valuable information in these threads.
tveli likes this.

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
-----------------------------------
post #6293 of 6298 Old 08-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Going to have to give this a try.. We have 2 3-tuner Moxi's running over WiFi extenders and the two constantly lose connection with each other and only the Diagnostic "network refresh" gets them "talking" again so each can see the others recordings. I don't even try and watch a HD recording from one to the other since the lag is too much to watch an HD show.

Will try Ch 6 on the router settings and see how it goes....
post #6294 of 6298 Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Pick a channel that's not in use or has the most unused channels on either side. Automatic selection does not take into account the number of other channels in your area that may be thinking the same thing and crosstalk will be a factor. As will any recommendations from tech articles.

I use iStumbler on my Mac for a neighborhood overview of frequencies, but as mentioned above there are plenty of freebies out there to give you a wifi overview of your area and avoid the most congested.

post #6295 of 6298 Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Did anyone else lose tuning adapter lock on today? We have multiple tuner power ligt blinking we powercycled and had hits sent to no avail. They worKed fine tuesday.
post #6296 of 6298 Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Did anyone else lose tuning adapter lock on today? We have multiple tuner power ligt blinking we powercycled and had hits sent to no avail. They worKed fine tuesday.
Mine failed over the weekend and I missed some scheduled recordings as a result.

Had to perform the tuning adapter dance and then it came back.

Unplug USB and TA power > Plug in TA power > wait for LED lock indicator > plug in USB > reboot Moxi

If your box cannot come back using the dance and hits from support do not work then the box might be dead.

post #6297 of 6298 Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 AM

We tried that. They now say there is an channel outage. This is happening to multiple tuners at same time. I doubt it is the tuning equipment.

Last edited by dz2k; 08-30-2014 at 06:50 AM.
post #6298 of 6298 Old 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM

Has anyone had a Moxi Mate stop working? My Moxi reboots on Thrusday morning around 2-4am when the DVR has booted my mate boots also this time the MOXI logo light stayed on ( my set up is front moxi logo off on both dvr and mate) I pressed the reset in front saw the moxi screen while it was booting and than nothing. Moved the power to the wall plug vs strip per tech support still nothing. Checked the voltage coming out of the transformer that came with the Mate 12.25v dc all checks out They want $120 to replace it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page