Moxi HD DVR - Page 213 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #6361 of 6377 Old 11-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do you have a cablecard in the moxi? If your cable co. Is like mine, its all digital so it wont work direct from splitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6377 Old 11-13-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by domm View Post
OK, so I am a snowbird who just returned to my Florida home for the winter & fired up my Moxi & ouch, after doing a reset followed by a channel scan I get zippo. Before I left for the north this spring I got all the majors including ABC, NBC etc., & a few random others but now zippo? I have Comcast with just basic cable paid through my HOA that I get only after using the Comcast Digital Adapter. I have a splitter that feeds the Moxi & bypasses the Digital Adapter. The channels the Moxi used to get were all HD & my wife used Moxi extensively for taping shows. Can anyone help me with this? thanks
Sounds like they encrypted some channels that were previously clear-QAM. You will probably need to get a cable card from Comcast.
post #6363 of 6377 Old 11-13-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
OK, so I am a snowbird who just returned to my Florida home for the winter & fired up my Moxi & ouch, after doing a reset followed by a channel scan I get zippo. Before I left for the north this spring I got all the majors including ABC, NBC etc., & a few random others but now zippo? I have Comcast with just basic cable paid through my HOA that I get only after using the Comcast Digital Adapter. I have a splitter that feeds the Moxi & bypasses the Digital Adapter. The channels the Moxi used to get were all HD & my wife used Moxi extensively for taping shows. Can anyone help me with this? thanks
Comcast started encrypting all channels (even OTA broadcast channels) earlier this year under the guise of combatting cable theft and so your moxi will not get any channels without a cablecard to decrypt the signal on Comcast's wire. Good luck.
post #6364 of 6377 Old 11-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Comcast started encrypting all channels (even OTA broadcast channels) earlier this year under the guise of combatting cable theft and so your moxi will not get any channels without a cablecard to decrypt the signal on Comcast's wire. Good luck.
That's what I was afraid of. I was under the impression that all these major cable companies by law had to offer the major networks in the clear & free? If I am right on this point is Comcast not breaking the law? Or by chance can I get a cable card from Comcast for free?
post #6365 of 6377 Old 11-13-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
That's what I was afraid of. I was under the impression that all these major cable companies by law had to offer the major networks in the clear & free? If I am right on this point is Comcast not breaking the law? Or by chance can I get a cable card from Comcast for free?

Not free...about $2 to $3 dollars per month, sometimes more.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6366 of 6377 Old 11-13-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
The laws changed after big MSO's lobbied the FCC to change the rules and not require them to provide in the clear broadcast channels so that they can charge you even more every month. I think the first cablecard is free, but they will likely tack on a bogus "HD Technology Fee"/"Additional Outlet" charge to make up for the lost revenue if you had leased one of their STB's. Maybe you already pay the HD Tech Fee for your DTA - I am not sure and you would have to check your bill. Its all a scheme to pillage your wallet and line their pockets with your hard earned money.
post #6367 of 6377 Old 11-13-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Comcast in my area the first card is free additional cards they will charge a fee. I would give them a call and see.
post #6368 of 6377 Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAttitude View Post
Check out post 6351 and post 6352 for a solution Moxi "multiple concurrent output problem".

BadAttitude: how about a brand name for the switch you're successfully using, please? I did the Amazon search & find none quite as inexpensive as you found but several under $20, and I'd like to give myself the best odds of success by using something known to work.

This is fascinating to me -- has anyone else tried it out yet? Any reason to think this would or wouldn't work if the component output was directed to a SD DVR?

One of my top three dissatisfactions with the Moxi was the inability to backup shows in case a drive failed. The internal hard drive in one seems to be having issues & I'd like to replace it, but I never seem to be able to get that primary drive empty. If this method would work, I think I'd be able to get that drive replaced before it fails & I lose everything.
post #6369 of 6377 Old 11-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
Comcast in my area the first card is free additional cards they will charge a fee. I would give them a call and see.

same in detroit
post #6370 of 6377 Old 11-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My vote is to ditch it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post
My dual tuner Moxi HD is all but done. It was the second HD I installed into the unit. It is worth keeping or should I just get ride of the unit.
Hi Knight,

I ditched my 2 tuner Moxi right after the Tivo Roamio Pro came out. It had long paid for itself compared to the monthly DVR & STB rental fees that TWC wanted to charge me. The Roamio is a fantastic unit with 6 tuners and a ton more space. That said there are things I miss about my Moxi. The Tivo's fonts are too small; the smallish PIP halts when invoking major functions like setting up a recording or searching the channel menu. Speaking of which, I do miss the elegance of Moxi's menu. Also, when viewing a live channel that is also being recorded when the scheduled recording stops at its predetermined time, there is a hiccup in the live channel's signal to the monitor. On the other hand, the integration of the Mini (Mate) to the Roamio Pro (Moxi) main unit is far more polished and responsive. Tivo regularly issues updates though I am still waiting for Amazon Prime Instant Video functionality. When I use streaming services I turn to my XboxOne which has far more polished apps for said services. While the Roamio is far from perfect and there are things that I miss from my Moxi [sniff] I get the feeling that Tivo is dedicated to the concept of DVRs as opposed to Arris's obvious neglect of a product that was ahead of its time.

I was able to sell my pristine Moxi & Mate both of which still had on the plastic protection for their respective displays on eBay for about $400. All good things must end.

J
post #6371 of 6377 Old 11-14-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
Hi Knight,

I ditched my 2 tuner Moxi right after the Tivo Roamio Pro came out. It had long paid for itself compared to the monthly DVR & STB rental fees that TWC wanted to charge me. The Roamio is a fantastic unit with 6 tuners and a ton more space. That said there are things I miss about my Moxi. The Tivo's fonts are too small; the smallish PIP halts when invoking major functions like setting up a recording or searching the channel menu. Speaking of which, I do miss the elegance of Moxi's menu. Also, when viewing a live channel that is also being recorded when the scheduled recording stops at its predetermined time, there is a hiccup in the live channel's signal to the monitor. On the other hand, the integration of the Mini (Mate) to the Roamio Pro (Moxi) main unit is far more polished and responsive. Tivo regularly issues updates though I am still waiting for Amazon Prime Instant Video functionality. When I use streaming services I turn to my XboxOne which has far more polished apps for said services. While the Roamio is far from perfect and there are things that I miss from my Moxi [sniff] I get the feeling that Tivo is dedicated to the concept of DVRs as opposed to Arris's obvious neglect of a product that was ahead of its time.

I was able to sell my pristine Moxi & Mate both of which still had on the plastic protection for their respective displays on eBay for about $400. All good things must end.

J
That is what I thought. I figured there was newer, better DVR's out there. Probably not even worth putting it on eBay these days. Bestbuy takes old electronics to recycle.... will most likely drop it off there. Thanks for the feedback.
post #6372 of 6377 Old 11-14-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
I went to my local Comcast today & to my surprise I got a cable card for no charge. Put it in Moxi & all is working perfect!! This is my first positive experience I have ever had with Comcast in all the years I have been dealing with them.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #6373 of 6377 Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post
That is what I thought. I figured there was newer, better DVR's out there. Probably not even worth putting it on eBay these days. Bestbuy takes old electronics to recycle.... will most likely drop it off there. Thanks for the feedback.
As long as it just needs a new hard drive, we'll take it. Send me a pm.
post #6374 of 6377 Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I went to my local Comcast today & to my surprise I got a cable card for no charge. Put it in Moxi & all is working perfect!! This is my first positive experience I have ever had with Comcast in all the years I have been dealing with them.
Yes they offer it for 'free' BUT look at your next bill for a cable card rental fee. They will get more money from you somehow.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6375 of 6377 Old 11-14-2014, 10:36 PM

I agree. I could see 1 piece of equipment coming with your tv package but i believe the OP said he/she already had a digital converter box. I doubt both are free.
post #6376 of 6377 Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Yes they offer it for 'free' BUT look at your next bill for a cable card rental fee. They will get more money from you somehow.
Yes, from past experience with Comcast I can expect anything but here is my situation & what I was told by the service agent that helped me with getting the cable card.

I live in a gated community & as part of our 1/4ly HOA fees we get basic + basic extended service. We also can have up to 3 Digital Transport Adapters DTA's (not cable boxes or DVR's) that are also included.

Until about a year & a half ago we did not need these DTA's to receive our signal but then the higher numbered channels were scrambled & finally all channels were scrambled so the DTA's became a must.

The exception was a few channels (ABC/NBC/CBC ect) that I could still get with my QAM equipped TV. I was feeding the Comcast signal via a splitter into my MOXI without the use of a cable card & the MOXI would record those QAM channels & since most of the shows my wife wanted to tape were on channels that MOXI could receive all was well in my household. When we came back south (we are snowbirds) last week, to my horror (wife was no longer happy) MOXI was not picking up any channels so she could no long tape her favorite shows (a long list).

So I go to my local Comcast store yesterday & pick up my cable card & am told that the cable card is considered the same as a DTA which they charge $1.95 per month rental fee for. Since the first 3 DTA's are included in our HOA fee I have 2 choices. I can keep all 3 DTS's & the cable card & pay $1.95 per month for the rental of 1 extra DTA or I can return 1 of the DTA's & then there will be no charge.

Since I have 4 TV's in total I will keep all 4 (3 DTA's & 1 cable card) devices.

Once I get my first bill I will give you an update.

Last edited by domm; 11-15-2014 at 08:42 AM.
post #6377 of 6377 Old Today, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
BadAttitude: how about a brand name for the switch you're successfully using, please? I did the Amazon search & find none quite as inexpensive as you found but several under $20, and I'd like to give myself the best odds of success by using something known to work.

This is fascinating to me -- has anyone else tried it out yet? Any reason to think this would or wouldn't work if the component output was directed to a SD DVR?

One of my top three dissatisfactions with the Moxi was the inability to backup shows in case a drive failed. The internal hard drive in one seems to be having issues & I'd like to replace it, but I never seem to be able to get that primary drive empty. If this method would work, I think I'd be able to get that drive replaced before it fails & I lose everything.
it would be nice to have a brand name,model number, upc, etc. from BadAttitude so we don't have to search the web for something similar.
Reply HDTV Recorders