dz2k I think your correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6410 Old 12-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
thanks. dmusoke is correct in their assessment.
post #6393 of 6410 Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
You can't now. That's another feature that Moxi dropped quietly.
I hope they don't drop any more features. we don't see playon anymore either. we use these features...geez.

Last edited by dz2k; 12-07-2014 at 11:40 AM.
post #6394 of 6410 Old 12-07-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
At this point I have so many other devices that handle media and streaming better than Moxi ever did I never use the other features outside of recorded TV.

post #6395 of 6410 Old 12-07-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
At this point I have so many other devices that handle media and streaming better than Moxi ever did I never use the other features outside of recorded TV.
So true...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6396 of 6410 Old 12-07-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Is their a true successor out there to the Moxi DVR?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6397 of 6410 Old 12-07-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 505
After the Ceton thing went belly up it all belongs to TiVo again.

I'm just glad the Moxi still records TV. There are plenty of other devices that can handle the media stuff, but cable TV recording is a dead zone for new products.

post #6398 of 6410 Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

So with Tivo, you pay a monthly subscription fee plus the cable bill from the cable provider? What's the upside here for it seems expensive...

post #6399 of 6410 Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM

Right, you pay the cable company for the cablecard and instead of paying the cable co. The dvr fee/hd technology fee..you pay tivo that amount. Tivo is a better box in this case but not saving much money. You also have to buy the one time fee of tivo and a lifetime subscription could be just as much the cost of the prior amount.
post #6400 of 6410 Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
So with Tivo, you pay a monthly subscription fee plus the cable bill from the cable provider? What's the upside here for it seems expensive...
No, you get a deal for a lifetime Roamio Plus/Pro and some Tivo Minis to do whole-home. There are fleabay discount codes that can get you a Plus for $500 + the cost of the code, and Minis are around $100 each on sale (or used).

The cable bill is irrelevant, you want it you pay for it. You don't and you go OTA + streaming. There's a ton of other options if you want to go that route.
post #6401 of 6410 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Right, you pay the cable company for the cablecard and instead of paying the cable co. The dvr fee/hd technology fee..you pay tivo that amount. Tivo is a better box in this case but not saving much money. You also have to buy the one time fee of tivo and a lifetime subscription could be just as much the cost of the prior amount.
Thanks dz2k and please excuse my confusion here but I want to summarize what my fees would be.

1. $15 monthly fee to Tivo or unless I buy it outright for $600-$700.
2. Dvr/HD fee to Tivo?
3. Cable card fee to TWC?
4. HD Tier package fee to cable company(TWC in my case)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
No, you get a deal for a lifetime Roamio Plus/Pro and some Tivo Minis to do whole-home. There are fleabay discount codes that can get you a Plus for $500 + the cost of the code, and Minis are around $100 each on sale (or used).

The cable bill is irrelevant, you want it you pay for it. You don't and you go OTA + streaming. There's a ton of other options if you want to go that route.

Thanks SB but OTA isn't an option for me unfortunately... management only allows TWC/Verizon in my premises. No satellite(DISH/DirecTV) or OTA antenna allowed to be placed(on the balcony for example) outside my place of residence.

post #6402 of 6410 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Thanks SB but OTA isn't an option for me unfortunately... management only allows TWC/Verizon in my premises. No satellite(DISH/DirecTV) or OTA antenna allowed to be placed(on the balcony for example) outside my place of residence.
Redondo Beach, CA

You must have lots of strong channels an indoor antenna could tune reliably, like the Mohu Leaf Ultimate and many others?

See what channels are in your locale.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Yesterday at 12:20 PM.
post #6403 of 6410 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Wajo... are the digital channels true HD or simply upscaled and letter-boxed SD channels?

post #6404 of 6410 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

They're all digital now and, usually, each channel's xx.1 main channel is HD and any subchannels (xx.2, xx.3, etc) are SD. They seem to use the most bandwidth per channel to their "main" channel and spread the rest of the bandwidth between SD channels, like weather, Grit, MeTV, and other "nostalgic" channels (lots of John Wayne, Batman, Gilligan's Island, etc.).

If a station decides it wants to broadcast TWO HD channels, they'll cut down the bandwidth to each so they both fit in each channel's max. bandwidth. I've got an ION station that has a main HD channel and 5 SD channels, incl. SHOP, QVC and HSN.

YMMV, but you can be pretty much assured that however many main channels show up in TVFool for your locale, those will most likely be digital/HD.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Yesterday at 01:47 PM.
post #6405 of 6410 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hi dmusoke.

i think dz2k is trying to tell you the below answers to your 1,2,3,4 questions. Hopefully i'm not obfuscating !
1. Yes, somethng close to that. If you select TIVO, maybe you'll want to get a "lifetime subscription" TIVO.
Lifetime probably means "lifetime of the tivo", not *your* lifetime.
(if you select moxi, there's no 'lifetime subscription' nonsense, or monthly fee.)
2. by 'dvr/hd fee to tivo', he means that the $10 "HD technology fee" you previously paid to cable company would now go to TIVO , due to tivo charging you a never-ending monthly fee to use the hardware you bought from them. (Either that or you pay the upfront/extra 'lifetime' cost to TIVO.)
(if you select MOXI, there is no monthly HD-technology fee, nor is there any monthly fee to pay to the manufacturer.)
3. cable-card fee should be zero for the first cablecard, maybe the only one you need. Additional cablecards entail nonzero monthly rental cost.
4. Zero "HD-tier" package fee should have to be paid to the cable company. The only time you pay an "HD technology fee" to the cable company is if you rent an HD-capable device form them. Just select whatever TV package you prefer, don't pay any HD tech fee, and you will be able to view/record all the channels in HD. This would be true for both a moxi or tivo HD-DVR.

as you can probably tell, I like MOXI better than TIVO, even though new MOXI units are no longer for sale!

TTFN!
post #6406 of 6410 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tveli ...very helpful post.
tveli likes this.

post #6407 of 6410 Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
They're all digital now and, usually, each channel's xx.1 main channel is HD and any subchannels (xx.2, xx.3, etc) are SD. They seem to use the most bandwidth per channel to their "main" channel and spread the rest of the bandwidth between SD channels, like weather, Grit, MeTV, and other "nostalgic" channels.

If a station decides it want to broadcast TWO HD channels, they'll cut down the bandwidth to each so they both fit in each channel's max. bandwidth. I've got an ION station that has a main HD channel and 5 SD channels, incl. SHOP, QVC and HSN.

YMMV, but you can be pretty much assured that however many main channels show up in TVFool for your locale, those will most likely be digital/HD.
Well said Wajo. Thanks!

post #6408 of 6410 Old Today, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 270
Quote:
Thanks dz2k and please excuse my confusion here but I want to summarize what my fees would be.
1. $15 monthly fee to Tivo or unless I buy it outright for $600-$700.
2. Dvr/HD fee to Tivo?
3. Cable card fee to TWC?
4. HD Tier package fee to cable company(TWC in my case)?
As I said, and you chose to ignore, you can get a Roamio (4 tuners, 500GB HD) for less than $500 with lifetime by using a fleabay discount code (I misspoke about the model before, this is for a Basic not a Plus model). Even cheaper if you can find a used one, which would be more of an apples to apples comparison to a Moxi.

There is no additional HD fee for using a Tivo on TWC, same as for Moxi.

There is a flat rental fee per Cablecard on TWC, same for both Moxi and Tivo.

Of course you'd have to pay for whatever HD tier of channels you want on TWC, doesn't matter if you have Moxi or Tivo.

You either want to get an old, discontinued box (Moxi) or you want to get an actively supported Tivo that can also run all the popular streaming apps.
post #6409 of 6410 Old Today, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Slowbiscuit:

I appreciate your detailed feedback and I apologize if you feel I was ignoring your advice which wasn't the case at all. I simply wanted further clarification on the matter as I've never used equipment or their service. My Moxi, I feel is on its way out as its getting slower and slower by the day despite a change to a new and bigger hard-drive 2-3 years ago.

My interest in Tivo (or any other service) was in anticipation of a failure of my Moxi within a year (or less) and wanted to be as prepared as possible fidor what choices I have out there and if their economics make sense to me.

Thanks again for the help,

David

post #6410 of 6410 Old Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

David - For an OTA/antenna option, it looks like your locale has ~37 channels at 35-degrees and ~30 miles to antennas. There are ~7 more at 82-84 degrees and 60-90 miles (some of those low-power or "LD").

One of the close ones is ION with the same subchannel layout as mine (includes some neat and "WAF" channels).

Here's the TVFool report for zip 90278.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page