16Likes

post #6421 of 6429 Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Anyone knows what the average lifetime for a Moxi is? Not talking about the disk drive, but the time in which one simply gives up the ghost for good? I have a 3T and its on its 2nd disk drive(1TB) and its getting slower and slower and slower with time.
Hard to say but the most of the failures I've heard of have been hard drive related. Capacitors are sometimes a weak link, but I expect electronic components to last 10+ years. I have two Moxi DVR's and both are still on the original 500GB hard-drives! Also have 4 mates and no issues with those either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6429 Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Anyone knows what the average lifetime for a Moxi is? Not talking about the disk drive, but the time in which one simply gives up the ghost for good? I have a 3T and its on its 2nd disk drive(1TB) and its getting slower and slower and slower with time.

I think I arrived rather late to the Moxi party in mid-2010, but I have two 3T and two Mates still going. If there were a better-for-me alternative, I wouldn't be adverse to moving on because as good as they are, there are some things about the Moxis that really bug the snot out of me, but I just haven't found anything better-for-me. LOL -- I remember at one point someone suggesting building a home theater PC, which was really intriguing to me, but after spending a couple of weeks reading up on it, I decided that was wayyy over my head.

Solid technology sometimes has a way of living on far longer than anyone expects. For instance, there is still a dedicated & active community of users of the old SD ReplayTV DVRs. I think I was a little late to that party, too, but we've still got four RTVs in use after more than a decade. Finding replacement parts (for me, particularly compatible old PATA/IDE drives) has gotten more difficult over time & may be what eventually gets me out of that game, but other than that, I plan to keep those going.
post #6423 of 6429 Old 01-14-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
You just got hit this morning? TWC in Los Angeles messed me up here as well a month or so ago. It was a frustrating set of days indeed as all my favorite channels were 'lost' and had no clue as to what to do. It was through this site I heard about Zap2It! like you said and they fixed me up good. Now my favorites are no longer in the same channel block(used to be channels 400 to 500). Now the same channels are all over the place from 2 to 1230! but at least, I can access them.

LOL -- we did indeed. They gave us a fair amount of notice -- and at least had the decency to wait until after the holidays -- but there's only so much one can do in advance. I planned to try to memorize the channel numbers of my favs, but I never quite got around to it, and their "intuitive" new lineup doesn't seem very intuitive to me. At all. I'm still in the process of removing tons of channels from the lineup because they seem to have scattered some of the "package" channels we don't subscribe to throughout the whole flippin' range in ones & twos and threes to make scrolling through the EPG less annoying.

One thing I was thrilled about is that I didn't have to reschedule all my recordings! In the past when a channel her or there has been moved, I've had to reschedule recordings on those channels -- for reasons that are beyond my understanding, the Moxis weren't able to "find" the new channel location. Not so this time: as far as I can tell, my scheduled recordings were all preserved.

I did have a problem with one of the Moxis, though: even after changing to the rebuild lineup at moxi.com and manually updating the Moxi & the EPG, the process was only partly successful, a fact I didn't notice until late last night when things that were scheduled to record didn't record because the EPG on that particular Moxi was still somewhat messed up. I repeated things & the EPG was still a bit messy until I manually rebooted that Moxi, which seems to have cleared up the problem. I have no idea why that Moxi didn't immediately behave as nicely as the one in the living room . . . but it is the Moxi that's had its hard drive user replaced.

The other thing I'm pretty excited about is that I think I'll be able to take the USB analog dongles out of the setup. I haven't confirmed it for sure, but I had to have those because there were a couple of analog only channels in the old lineup we needed. The little dongles aren't very obtrusive, but since the cords & cables contribute to the inevitable spaghetti, I'm actually quite excited about the possibility of eliminating them.

And, I think I still don't need a TA That was one of the things I'd called TWC to ask about when we got the first mailing about the upcoming channel lineup change & couldn't get an answer I felt confident about (I'm not sure any of the people I spoke with even knew what a TA was, and I couldn't help them since I've never been clear what they are and why I've never needed on with the Moxis), but so far, things seem to be working normally.
post #6424 of 6429 Old 01-14-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I still have a TA in my setup and not sure what exactly its for. Recall them saying back in the day that it was to receive certain digital channels(???) or something like that... That's the only mystery box in my HT setup. I'd pull it if I found out it wasn't needed.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6425 of 6429 Old 01-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Hard to say but the most of the failures I've heard of have been hard drive related. Capacitors are sometimes a weak link, but I expect electronic components to last 10+ years. I have two Moxi DVR's and both are still on the original 500GB hard-drives! Also have 4 mates and no issues with those either.
I had one hardd rive fail on me. I also had the main unit zapped by lightning.

Other than that... seems to be rock solid in terms of hardware.

I do keep it on a line conditioner to try to maximize the life of the unit..
post #6426 of 6429 Old 01-18-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
I still have a TA in my setup and not sure what exactly its for. Recall them saying back in the day that it was to receive certain digital channels(???) or something like that... That's the only mystery box in my HT setup. I'd pull it if I found out it wasn't needed.
You can easily find out what it does. Unplug it and run the coax directly from the wall into the Moxi and see how many channels you receive. It's only purpose is to decode SDV channels, anything on dedicated QAM will come through just fine without it.

It could be that only a few channels moved to SDV in your area and you don't watch any of them, or it could be that a whole bunch of channels moved to SDV and without the TA in the mix you lose a lot.

post #6427 of 6429 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Talked to TWC tech support and they said the TA is necessary. Apparently, they don't broadcast all the channels to you at the same time. This box is used to identify the channels you view the most and prioritizes them for you to view. The least popular or least viewed ones do not use up the available bandwidth so that extra space is used for other popular channels for other users. Its a bandwidth saving scheme for them. Fill the pipe with the most viewed channels to maximize the number of users.

Hope I explained it right...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6428 of 6429 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Talked to TWC tech support and they said the TA is necessary. Apparently, they don't broadcast all the channels to you at the same time. This box is used to identify the channels you view the most and prioritizes them for you to view. The least popular or least viewed ones do not use up the available bandwidth so that extra space is used for other popular channels for other users. Its a bandwidth saving scheme for them. Fill the pipe with the most viewed channels to maximize the number of users.
It's a cheap out for them. Which is why if say 1000 people in your neighborhood are watching Travel channel and TWC haven't bothered to allocate enough bandwidth for the neighborhood node, then any other channel you might like to watch that is also SDV will not come through.

Like I said unplug it and see. TWC usually leave the big name channels on a dedicated QAM to avoid service complaints, so if you don't watch many of the less popular channels that have been stuffed on SDV you might not even notice they are gone.

post #6429 of 6429 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks ...will give it try.

Reply HDTV Recorders