Moxi HD DVR - Page 218 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #6511 of 6539 Old 04-06-2015, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I also saw split recordings when moxi reboots in the the middle of a recording. Also, i recorded a series of a sports event and had it preset a few days in advance. The 5th episide of it got split so i wanted to see why because that ruined the whole series for me. I disconnected the external hdd thru the menu to find that the internal hdd went full 100% while recording it. I dont know why it didnt put the whole 5th episode on the external hdd but we cant control that.

Last edited by dz2k; 04-06-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6512 of 6539 Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I've had recordings split when the Moxi crashes and reboots, it also happens when SDV fails and the tuning adapter loses the signal but then gets it back a minute or two later.

One of the good things about Moxi is that it will remember when a recording screws up and will try to complete the show when it comes back to life.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to, but I'm still confused. In the case of the documentary recorded recently, I know it recorded completely in one recording, and that recording was on the external drive (survived in one piece after everything on the internal drive disappeared, disappeared when I disconnected the external drive through the Setup menu). It was only after installing the new internal hard drive that the recording split into two. And, after I posted, I noticed the count was off on a couple of other series recordings, and when I looked, I saw that several recently recorded episodes on the external drive are also split into two. . . and in one case, three recordings per episode. Weird. I can't positively say that didn't happen before the internal crash, but I'm fairly sure I would have noticed the counts being off before.

I am, however, positive with the documentary: it recorded in one complete recording on the external drive and somehow split into two recorded segments when I replaced the internal drive.

Thoughts?

The good news is that all channels are right as rain after 5 minutes on the phone with the TWC CC magic folks this AM, thanks to the phone number you posted in the replacement hard drive thread
post #6513 of 6539 Old 04-06-2015, 07:06 AM

can you place the replacement hdd/model/size info in the hdd replacement thread?
post #6514 of 6539 Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
can you place the replacement hdd/model/size info in the hdd replacement thread?

It's already there I used the same make/model/size as I used before.
post #6515 of 6539 Old 04-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
It's already there I used the same make/model/size as I used before.
ok, thanks!

Quote:
I also saw split recordings when moxi reboots in the the middle of a recording. Also, i recorded a series of a sports event and had it preset a few days in advance. The 5th episide of it got split so i wanted to see why because that ruined the whole series for me. I disconnected the external hdd thru the menu to find that the internal hdd went full 100% while recording it. I dont know why it didnt put the whole 5th episode on the external hdd but we cant control that.
I also wanted to mention that I didn't have the stock internal hdd in when this happened. It split the remaining part of the 5th episode to the external hdd. I'm also happy to say it didn't delete all recordings on the internal hdd. Maybe that happens when the drive is in its last days.
post #6516 of 6539 Old 04-20-2015, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if the online tools are still available for use. I cant get into my account anymore and when I ask for password login replacement I never get a return email. I'm talking about the site that allows you to set up recordings and delete recordings and view online guide. Anyone?

Mike
post #6517 of 6539 Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post
Anyone know if the online tools are still available for use. I cant get into my account anymore and when I ask for password login replacement I never get a return email. I'm talking about the site that allows you to set up recordings and delete recordings and view online guide. Anyone?

yes, I just signed on to my acct. It won't bring up my recording schedule though. That hasn't worked for a few years.
Dave
post #6518 of 6539 Old 04-20-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I just logged in ok and deleted some dumb shows(Lost Girl...really shameful show btw). Recording schedule shows...No problems....

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6519 of 6539 Old 04-20-2015, 01:46 PM

My recording schedule has been fine.
post #6520 of 6539 Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I log on several times a day.
I use online for 95% of setting up programming.
I watch for overlaps and the need to move cable stuff to off hours.
post #6521 of 6539 Old 05-17-2015, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bad Ethernet Port?

I purchased two moxis used, and Seagate 500GB drives. I cannot do a FFP to install the software on the drives. I tried the FPP on a third unit I have and everything initialized just fine. So I know that I can connect to Moxi and that I know how to get the FFP to work.

I checked my router and they don't show up under the DHCP. I've tried 4 different cables and direct connecting them to the router and then separately to the modem. Nothing shows up on the DHCP or FFP. I also tried these units at another location directly hooked up to the modem, and cannot get the FPP to work.

Is there a way to check the ethernet port to see if it has gone bad?

If the port is bad, is there a fix?

Thank you for your help.
post #6522 of 6539 Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
4 Finger Press Help

Hi guys,

My Moxi finally died so I purchased a new hard drive based on the XLS spreadsheet of replacement recommendations (got the WD Caviar Green WDBAAY500ENC-NRSN).

I'm able to perform the 4 finger press successfully, it asks me to press "ENTER" to proceed, which I've done and then it says it's initializing and installing. That goes for about 5-10 minutes then it appears to reboot. I get the Moxi logo and then it says "checking hard drive." And that's where it gets stuck - it just constantly cycles from rebooting to "checking hard drive."

I've performed the 4 finger press about 5 times, each getting the same result.

Do I have to format the drive first? Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? For what it's worth, I had also purchased the Seagate Pipeline ST31000322CS and have the same issues. I have a 3 tuner Moxi.

Thanks!
post #6523 of 6539 Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLAYTVS View Post
I purchased two moxis used, and Seagate 500GB drives. I cannot do a FFP to install the software on the drives. I tried the FPP on a third unit I have and everything initialized just fine. So I know that I can connect to Moxi and that I know how to get the FFP to work.

I checked my router and they don't show up under the DHCP. I've tried 4 different cables and direct connecting them to the router and then separately to the modem. Nothing shows up on the DHCP or FFP. I also tried these units at another location directly hooked up to the modem, and cannot get the FPP to work.

Is there a way to check the ethernet port to see if it has gone bad?

If the port is bad, is there a fix?

Thank you for your help.
are you using OEM Seagate 500GB hdds? if not, what model? did you set the two moxi used up on your account first. Ex. in moxi setup > remove from account > and setting up your acct. You don't just want to do ffp right away.
post #6524 of 6539 Old 05-17-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunygxc View Post
Hi guys,

My Moxi finally died so I purchased a new hard drive based on the XLS spreadsheet of replacement recommendations (got the WD Caviar Green WDBAAY500ENC-NRSN).

I'm able to perform the 4 finger press successfully, it asks me to press "ENTER" to proceed, which I've done and then it says it's initializing and installing. That goes for about 5-10 minutes then it appears to reboot. I get the Moxi logo and then it says "checking hard drive." And that's where it gets stuck - it just constantly cycles from rebooting to "checking hard drive."

I've performed the 4 finger press about 5 times, each getting the same result.

Do I have to format the drive first? Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? For what it's worth, I had also purchased the Seagate Pipeline ST31000322CS and have the same issues. I have a 3 tuner Moxi.

Thanks!
that's weird. so the Seagate hdd does the same thing in "asks me to press "ENTER" to proceed, which I've done and then it says it's initializing and installing. That goes for about 5-10 minutes then it appears to reboot. I get the Moxi logo and then it says "checking hard drive."?" you don't have to format it as moxi will do that.
post #6525 of 6539 Old 05-17-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
are you using OEM Seagate 500GB hdds? if not, what model? did you set the two moxi used up on your account first. Ex. in moxi setup > remove from account > and setting up your acct. You don't just want to do ffp right away.
I added the units to my accounts via moxi.com. It gives me a code to type in but as I can't get the units up and running I can't do anything with the code. I tried each of the drives. If I try the FFP, I see the moxi screen and then the green flash and then moxi just stays on the screen. After some time it just reboots. One time I got 1 amber light blinking and another time 3 amber lights blinking. Since then can't replicate.

Without the FPP I just see moxi on a black screen a green flash and moxi. No red lights on the unit.

Tried 2 drives

Seagate 500GB ST3500312CS

Hitachi 2TB 0F12117 HDS5C3030ALA632

I have a spare pc ready to help if needed with drives copying etc.

I'd love to get a whole house DVR system going to augment my 1 working moxi.

Thank you very much, all you help is greatly appreciated.
post #6526 of 6539 Old 05-17-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I added the units to my accounts via moxi.com. It gives me a code to type in but as I can't get the units up and running I can't do anything with the code. I tried each of the drives. If I try the FFP, I see the moxi screen and then the green flash and then moxi just stays on the screen. After some time it just reboots. One time I got 1 amber light blinking and another time 3 amber lights blinking. Since then can't replicate.

Without the FPP I just see moxi on a black screen a green flash and moxi. No red lights on the unit.

Tried 2 drives

Seagate 500GB ST3500312CS

Hitachi 2TB 0F12117 HDS5C3030ALA632

I have a spare pc ready to help if needed with drives copying etc.

I'd love to get a whole house DVR system going to augment my 1 working moxi.

Thank you very much, all you help is greatly appreciated.
I think you did too much at once. it sounds like you need to remove them from your moxi.com acct, put the original used hdds back into the moxi, and do it with the menu moxi setup > remove from acct > setting up your acct that way.
post #6527 of 6539 Old 05-17-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I think you did too much at once. it sounds like you need to remove them from your moxi.com acct, put the original used hdds back into the moxi, and do it with the menu moxi setup > remove from acct > setting up your acct that way.
I don't have any of the original drives.

I can get to my working moxi drive if that is of any benefit.
post #6528 of 6539 Old 05-17-2015, 04:38 PM

so you bought 2 used moxi w/o hard drives? I don't think its possible to get it working w/o them.
post #6529 of 6539 Old 05-18-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
that's weird. so the Seagate hdd does the same thing in "asks me to press "ENTER" to proceed, which I've done and then it says it's initializing and installing. That goes for about 5-10 minutes then it appears to reboot. I get the Moxi logo and then it says "checking hard drive."?" you don't have to format it as moxi will do that.
Thanks for your quick response - yes, sorry I should have mentioned that the Seagate that died in my Moxi is the original OEM 500GB model that came when I originally purchased the Moxi (and 2 mates).

So I should delete my "main moxi" DVR on Moxi.com before attempting to do the 4FP you think? See attached.

Thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 10.44.21 AM.png
Views:	10
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	723554  
post #6530 of 6539 Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 AM

I recently moved and am having trouble getting my Moxis up and running. As part of the move I made the following changes:
- Added a new (pre-owned) Moxi Mate
- Changed TV providers from TWC to Verizon FIOS

I now have a 3-tuner DVR and 2 Mates.

I added the new Mate to my Moxi account with no problems. It connected to my network and was able to contact the Moxi service without issue. It can also see the DVR.

My trouble is with the DVR though. I updated my service provider on my Moxi account online, but can't get the DVR to connect to Moxi to update. It is able to connect for guide updates though. The DVR is tuning TV just fine and recording shows as scheduled. But, of course, it's recording the wrong things since it's still using TWC channel listings and program guide.

How can I force the DVR to update the service provider info?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Brian
post #6531 of 6539 Old 05-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post
I recently moved and am having trouble getting my Moxis up and running. As part of the move I made the following changes:
- Added a new (pre-owned) Moxi Mate
- Changed TV providers from TWC to Verizon FIOS

I now have a 3-tuner DVR and 2 Mates.

I added the new Mate to my Moxi account with no problems. It connected to my network and was able to contact the Moxi service without issue. It can also see the DVR.

My trouble is with the DVR though. I updated my service provider on my Moxi account online, but can't get the DVR to connect to Moxi to update. It is able to connect for guide updates though. The DVR is tuning TV just fine and recording shows as scheduled. But, of course, it's recording the wrong things since it's still using TWC channel listings and program guide.

How can I force the DVR to update the service provider info?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Brian
It sounds like you already changed the guide info on moxi.com to fios guide/channel lineup and it should've updated pretty fast on the dvr. you may want to check settings > network status to ensure your connections are all active. I have 3 active. also, go to settings > diagnostics > service status > update program guide.
post #6532 of 6539 Old 05-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunygxc View Post
Thanks for your quick response - yes, sorry I should have mentioned that the Seagate that died in my Moxi is the original OEM 500GB model that came when I originally purchased the Moxi (and 2 mates).

So I should delete my "main moxi" DVR on Moxi.com before attempting to do the 4FP you think? See attached.

Thank you again!
WAIT, Don't delete it from moxi.com as I don't want you to brick your dvr. I would suggest using g4l to try a ddrescue from Seagate OEM hdd to the caviar green or new Seagate hdd. billcor62 gets the credit for this: Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread
post #6533 of 6539 Old 05-18-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you already changed the guide info on moxi.com to fios guide/channel lineup and it should've updated pretty fast on the dvr. you may want to check settings > network status to ensure your connections are all active. I have 3 active. also, go to settings > diagnostics > service status > update program guide.
The DVR has a valid IP address. It's also able to update the program guide successfully. It just won't connect on the "update Moxi" option in diagnostics to get the service provider update.

It just dawned on me that I've got the DVR connected via ethernet to the built-in switch of a new Netgear wifi extender. I wonder if the Moxi sees that as a wireless connection rather than wired. I'll move it to a wired switch tonight and see what that does.
post #6534 of 6539 Old 05-18-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
so you bought 2 used moxi w/o hard drives? I don't think its possible to get it working w/o them.
Any other possible ideas?
post #6535 of 6539 Old 05-18-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Any other possible ideas?
I'm sorry but the answer is no. the original hdd is needed to get you up and running on your moxi account and then you can replace the hdd and do ffp in my opinion.
post #6536 of 6539 Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry but the answer is no. the original hdd is needed to get you up and running on your moxi account and then you can replace the hdd and do ffp in my opinion.
What does 3 blinking amber lights mean? Also, sometimes I have a single blinking amber light, what does that mean?
post #6537 of 6539 Old 05-19-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
What does 3 blinking amber lights mean? Also, sometimes I have a single blinking amber light, what does that mean?
I can only speak to what I know from my experience. the lights could blink a certain way for other circumstances too. What does 3 blinking amber lights mean? I forgot to connect the 2 connections to the hdd once and eventually it went to this pattern.

Also, sometimes I have a single blinking amber light, what does that mean? I tried an fpp and failed and it went to this status. I had to swap an Ethernet cord (because I wanted to test the connection direct from the modem, I used a spare Ethernet cord and had to use another spare Ethernet instead). I think others said the moxi may not like your model/brand hdd. but i know at least 1 of your 2 hdds are on the compatibility list.

your moxi may be useful for parts. you could send them my way.
post #6538 of 6539 Old Today, 05:31 PM

this question is for people that have/had an internal hdd full and external raid solution. it buffers and records everything to external raid. does this make your raid rebuild?
post #6539 of 6539 Unread Today, 09:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
this question is for people that have/had an internal hdd full and external raid solution. it buffers and records everything to external raid. does this make your raid rebuild?
Live TV buffering is never done to the external drive. The buffer is allocated on the internal drive at the initial FFP and doesn't change. The only write activity on the external drive is recording. That's why the internal drive is the one that gets beat to death.

My external two drive and four drive RAIDs only rebuild if there is an I/O error during a disk operation (read or write). Mine knocks a drive off line and only rebuilds if I insert a new drive for the one with the error light on or reinsert the original drive after the error. I understand that some arrays allow a spare drive and will automatically replace a bad drive and rebuild with the spare.

I have had two drive errors that just needed the drive unplugged and reinserted. And one that needed a new drive.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page