Moxi HD DVR - Page 220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #6571 of 6596 Old 06-12-2015, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It probably wont work. Try it and let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 6596 Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakforest View Post
This may be a stupid "ETC". I have two Moxi, one 2 tuner and one 3 tuner. My 3 tuner hard drive is dead, won't spin up. I don't care about the data on the 3 tuner. Can I clone the 2 tuner drive and have it work in the 3 tuner drive? I am worried that the drive is mated to the serial number of the 2 tuner drive. So can a fully functional MOXI hard drive be put into any MOXI?

I don't see why not. The drive size and manufacturer is used in both stock Moxi's...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6573 of 6596 Old 06-12-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakforest View Post
This may be a stupid "ETC". I have two Moxi, one 2 tuner and one 3 tuner. My 3 tuner hard drive is dead, won't spin up. I don't care about the data on the 3 tuner. Can I clone the 2 tuner drive and have it work in the 3 tuner drive? I am worried that the drive is mated to the serial number of the 2 tuner drive. So can a fully functional MOXI hard drive be put into any MOXI?
Just plug the working drive in the 3T. If it spins up and boots to the guide then you'll know if the hardware ID is tied or not.

If it doesn't work just put it back in the 2T.

post #6574 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to resolve an issue I've been having for a very long time with managing & scheduling recordings on the Moxi site?

We have two 3-tuner Moxis (each with external drives) & two Mates, all of which were added to our account at the same time back in 2010. At some point, the Scheduled and Recorded content for one (and only one) of the Moxis became unavailable on the Web site. The Web page returns an error that says something like, "Unable to display pre-existing scheduled recordings information."

The Moxi itself works fine & the recorded content is visible & available on the other Moxi as well as the Mates.

Also, I'm able to schedule recordings from the Moxi Web site even though I can't see or manage Scheduled or Recorded content there. <shaking my head>.

I've signed out of & into the account probably a million times. In January, we had a massive channel lineup change, so I had to change the lineup selection -- that worked fine but didn't resolve the problem on the Moxi Web site. I had to replace the internal drive maybe a year ago -- the Web site issue pre-dated the failure of the internal drive, and replacing the internal drive didn't resolve the problem.

Quite some time back, I thought about removing that Moxi from the account & then adding it back, but then I thought I remembered reading that could cause a problem so I've never tried that. But maybe I just imagined I'd read that.

I'm finally annoyed enough about this that I thought I'd ask if anyone has suggestions I can try to resolve this?

I'm having some other annoyances with the other Moxi, but I figured I should try to tackle one thing at a time.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Saundra
post #6575 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Air cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
So I had the time, a drill and a bout of curiosity and drilled two rows of 1/8 inch holes halfway along either side of the case to allow the fan to pull at least a tiny amount of cooler air inside.
I have two 1" x 1" x 7" long sticks of wood under each end of my components to support air flow. My Moxi is at least ten years old.

Last edited by iKerry; 06-20-2015 at 07:03 PM.
post #6576 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions
. The only trick I know that works is to remove the power cord from the Moxi for 2-3 minute and let it reboot.
post #6577 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 PM

Disconnect the external thru menu, unplug power for a mibute and replug and go to moxi site to see if has internal hdd recordings or if its still has error message. Please ensure you're not viewing the scheduled recordings tab.
post #6578 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 08:15 PM

Question Any fix for the default "Accept" setting?

It's been long time since Moxi stopped supporting equipment they sold the Moxi 2-Tuner DVD recorder direct to customers like myself. I'm assuming that most recent posters here are renting their Moxi from a cable company.

My one constant irritation is when I opt to record a series. I then have to enter options and change it from record every instance, including re-runs, to record only original showing (not the exact words but you get what I mean). Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Thanks, Kerry
post #6579 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKerry View Post
It's been long time since Moxi stopped supporting equipment they sold the Moxi 2-Tuner DVD recorder direct to customers like myself. I'm assuming that most recent posters here are renting their Moxi from a cable company.

My one constant irritation is when I opt to record a series. I then have to enter options and change it from record every instance, including re-runs, to record only original showing (not the exact words but you get what I mean). Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Thanks, Kerry
This thread is for the retail moxi we have. You just need go to recodings menu, scroll to options, and set recording defaults. Just set it once to record only first run programming and it'll apply to all your new scheduled series thereafter. U need to change current series manually.
post #6580 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKerry View Post
. The only trick I know that works is to remove the power cord from the Moxi for 2-3 minute and let it reboot.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I gave it a try, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue. Any other ideas?
post #6581 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Disconnect the external thru menu, unplug power for a mibute and replug and go to moxi site to see if has internal hdd recordings or if its still has error message. Please ensure you're not viewing the scheduled recordings tab.

Brilliant suggestion -- all was well with the external disconnected. Does this mean there's something wrong with the external drive or with a specific recording(s) on the external drive? If it's likely to be a recording on the external, any suggestions about how to determine which recording(s) is the problem?

FWIW, the external drive seems to function fine -- things record and are watchable on that Moxi and throughout the house on the other Moxi & Mates.

Ugh -- this is somewhat of a revolting development as most of what's on the external drive are things I wanted to keep. If the problem is with the drive itself, then I'm assuming cloning it to a new drive wouldn't resolve the problem?

Thanks,
Saundra
post #6582 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Brilliant suggestion -- all was well with the external disconnected. Does this mean there's something wrong with the external drive or with a specific recording(s) on the external drive? If it's likely to be a recording on the external, any suggestions about how to determine which recording(s) is the problem?

FWIW, the external drive seems to function fine -- things record and are watchable on that Moxi and throughout the house on the other Moxi & Mates.

Ugh -- this is somewhat of a revolting development as most of what's on the external drive are things I wanted to keep. If the problem is with the drive itself, then I'm assuming cloning it to a new drive wouldn't resolve the problem?

Thanks,
Saundra
What connection do u use to connect your external hdd? Usb, esatata, etc.
Here is what i'd try. Unplug power to moxi, connect the external hdd and
Press power button if it has one..it will turn on for a second and back off, plug power into moxi and the external may auto power on immediately and if it doesnt u should manually do it, let it do the whole boot cycle including moxi logo, checking the hard drivew, etc. And go to the moxi site to see what it looks like now in regards to recordings. If it doesnt work, u could clone to another external hdd but hopefully it' ll work out to avoid that.
post #6583 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
What connection do u use to connect your external hdd? Usb, esatata, etc.
Here is what i'd try. Unplug power to moxi, connect the external hdd and
Press power button if it has one..it will turn on for a second and back off, plug power into moxi and the external may auto power on immediately and if it doesnt u should manually do it, let it do the whole boot cycle including moxi logo, checking the hard drivew, etc. And go to the moxi site to see what it looks like now in regards to recordings. If it doesnt work, u could clone to another external hdd but hopefully it' ll work out to avoid that.

The external drive is connected via esata.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but I'm not sure I'm understanding the steps you suggest. The external drive enclosure does have a power button -- if I push it, it turns the enclosure off if it's turned on and on if it's turned off.

The external drive is currently connected to the Moxi & powered on.. After I unplug the Moxi, do I also need to power off the external drive and then turn it back on before plugging the Moxi back in? Or, is pulling the Moxi plug enough?

Thanks,
Saundra
post #6584 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
The external drive is connected via esata.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but I'm not sure I'm understanding the steps you suggest. The external drive enclosure does have a power button -- if I push it, it turns the enclosure off if it's turned on and on if it's turned off.

The external drive is currently connected to the Moxi & powered on.. After I unplug the Moxi, do I also need to power off the external drive and then turn it back on before plugging the Moxi back in? Or, is pulling the Moxi plug enough?

Thanks,
Saundra
My external hdd needs the power cord inserted inside the moxi to stay on. Otherwise, when power is pressed, it goes off after a few seconds.
post #6585 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
My external hdd needs the power cord inserted inside the moxi to stay on. Otherwise, when power is pressed, it goes off after a few seconds.

Interesting! My external enclosure power stays on whether the esata is connected to the Moxi or not.

OK, so what I did was disconnect the external through the menu, then unplugged the external esata from the Moxi, and then powered off the external. Then I unplugged the Moxi and waited a couple of minutes. I powered the external back on, waited a minute, and then reconnected the esata to the Moxi. Then I plugged the Moxi back in.

The external drive wasn't "seen" by the Moxi. [This is my typical experience: when we have a power outage & the power comes back on, I always have to reboot each Moxi before the external drive is "seen" by the Moxi.]

But, all was well on the Moxi Web site.

Instead of rebooting the Moxi, I just unplugged the esata cable, waited a few seconds, and plugged it back in -- the Moxi eventually saw the external drive & all its recordings. But, that Moxi was then unavailable again from the Moxi Web site. <sigh> I disconnected the external drive through the menu, and the Moxi was available again from the Moxi Web site.

So, it seems something about the external drive isn't playing nicely with the Moxi Web site -- I don't know if something has gone wrong with the external drive itself, one or more recordings on the external drive, or the drive enclosure. Any suggestions about how to isolate the problem?

The whole thing seems odd to me because in house, the external drive seems to be working just fine -- it's just through the Moxi Web site that there's a problem.

I suppose something I could try tomorrow -- assuming I can find a time when neither is in use -- is to try swapping the enclosure. The other Moxi (Moxi 2) has an identical external enclosure (and hard drive), so if I put the problem drive in that enclosure & then hooked it up to Moxi 1, perhaps that would rule out the enclosure itself as the source of the problem?

Thanks,
Saundra
post #6586 of 6596 Old 06-20-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Interesting! My external enclosure power stays on whether the esata is connected to the Moxi or not.

OK, so what I did was disconnect the external through the menu, then unplugged the external esata from the Moxi, and then powered off the external. Then I unplugged the Moxi and waited a couple of minutes. I powered the external back on, waited a minute, and then reconnected the esata to the Moxi. Then I plugged the Moxi back in.

The external drive wasn't "seen" by the Moxi. [This is my typical experience: when we have a power outage & the power comes back on, I always have to reboot each Moxi before the external drive is "seen" by the Moxi.]

But, all was well on the Moxi Web site.

Instead of rebooting the Moxi, I just unplugged the esata cable, waited a few seconds, and plugged it back in -- the Moxi eventually saw the external drive & all its recordings. But, that Moxi was then unavailable again from the Moxi Web site. <sigh> I disconnected the external drive through the menu, and the Moxi was available again from the Moxi Web site.

So, it seems something about the external drive isn't playing nicely with the Moxi Web site -- I don't know if something has gone wrong with the external drive itself, one or more recordings on the external drive, or the drive enclosure. Any suggestions about how to isolate the problem?

The whole thing seems odd to me because in house, the external drive seems to be working just fine -- it's just through the Moxi Web site that there's a problem.

I suppose something I could try tomorrow -- assuming I can find a time when neither is in use -- is to try swapping the enclosure. The other Moxi (Moxi 2) has an identical external enclosure (and hard drive), so if I put the problem drive in that enclosure & then hooked it up to Moxi 1, perhaps that would rule out the enclosure itself as the source of the problem?

Thanks,
Saundra
I wouldn't mess with things that aren't broke but its up to you. this is very similar to what you've done but I would unplug power from moxi w/ esata connected. given what you say, your external hdd will stay on so power external off for a moment, plug power back in, wait a minute, and then power up moxi.

Last edited by dz2k; 06-21-2015 at 07:05 AM.
post #6587 of 6596 Old 06-21-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't mess with things that are broke but its up to you. this is very similar to what you've done but I would unplug power from moxi w/ esata connected. given what you say, your external hdd will stay on so power external off for a moment, plug power back in, wait a minute, and then power up moxi.

It was worth trying, but I had the same results: when the Moxi rebooted, the external drive wasn't detected and all was fine on the Moxi web site. To get the Moxi to detect the external drive, I unplugged the esata cord and then plugged it back into the Moxi, the Moxi successfully did its bit to make it ready to use but that took me back to the Moxi not being accessible on the Moxi Web site. Arrgh!
post #6588 of 6596 Old 06-21-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
This thread is for the retail moxi we have. You just need go to recodings menu, scroll to options, and set recording defaults. Just set it once to record only first run programming and it'll apply to all your new scheduled series thereafter. U need to change current series manually.
Yes, that's the setting I want to be set as default—so that one doesn't have to do that dance each time.
post #6589 of 6596 Old 06-21-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
It was worth trying, but I had the same results: when the Moxi rebooted, the external drive wasn't detected and all was fine on the Moxi web site. To get the Moxi to detect the external drive, I unplugged the esata cord and then plugged it back into the Moxi, the Moxi successfully did its bit to make it ready to use but that took me back to the Moxi not being accessible on the Moxi Web site. Arrgh!
wow. you may have to do a clone to another external.
post #6590 of 6596 Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
wow. you may have to do a clone to another external.

That's what I'm starting to think. I'll try swapping the enclosure itself to try to rule out that the enclosure is somehow failing.

If I do have to clone the external drive, I think I can find the instructions in the hard drive thread -- I recall reading about how to clone the internal drive. Is the process the same for an external drive?

This is the concern I have about cloning -- keep in mind I don't even pretend to understand the underlying format or file structure or anything like that:

Based on the fact that the external drive seems to function fine (it records fine, the recorded content is visible and plays fine on both Moxis & both Mates), it seems to me the problem is with the Moxi platform formatting or whatever on the external drive. If I clone that external drive, won't I also be cloning whatever the problem is to the new external drive?

Thanks,
Saundra
post #6591 of 6596 Old 06-21-2015, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the same issue with Moxi.com. It also says "Unable to display pre-existing scheduled recordings information." Thing is, I only have an internal drive in my 3 tuner Moxi. I did away with the external about a year ago. I know though that it's been a long time since I could see my recordings on Moxi.com if I ever could.

I've never really considered it a big deal so haven't given it much thought.
Dave

post #6592 of 6596 Old 06-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Possibly but its best to try rather than reformat external hdd.
post #6593 of 6596 Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post
I have the same issue with Moxi.com. It also says "Unable to display pre-existing scheduled recordings information." Thing is, I only have an internal drive in my 3 tuner Moxi. I did away with the external about a year ago. I know though that it's been a long time since I could see my recordings on Moxi.com if I ever could.

Dave

Thanks Dave -- that is interesting! I don't know what it means, but it's very interesting to me that someone else has experienced the issue with a seemingly fully functioning drive.

I had kind of gotten used to the Moxi peculiarities of not being able to delete a recording from another Moxi or schedule from one to the other, but I recently had surgery that prohibited me from climbing stairs for awhile. That's when the inaccessibility of the one Moxi from the Web site started annoying the heck out of me, hence the desire to finally try to resolve the longstanding (probably a couple of years now) "Unable to display" error message from the Web site now that I'm more mobile again.

But, I don't know that I care enough now to spend the money on replacing a drive that otherwise seems to function just fine or spend the time to try cloning the drive. Maybe I'll think differently tomorrow . . . or next week . . . or next month.

Saundra
post #6594 of 6596 Old 06-23-2015, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

Dave

Are you using a OpenDNS on a Netgear router or similar parental controls. I also cannot access my Moxi DVR's from moxi.com even after adding moxi.com domain to my routers exception list. Diagnosed it to an incompatibility with OpenDNS. Here is the response from Moxi support:

Greetings,

OpenDNS has known issues with several different products, including the Moxi HD DVR. We cannot support it since there have been no working fixes when connecting through OpenDNS for the last 4 years, including port forwarding and adding the necessary IP addresses for our services. OpenDNS seems to have problems with resolving IP addresses for some sites and services, which is why the Moxi doesn’t connect through it.

We recommend using the default ones your cable provider offers instead. That should resolve the problem.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us via phone or email
post #6595 of 6596 Old Today, 10:58 AM

This is more than a little OT, but I'm wondering what those of you who use Windows Media Center to serve shows to Moxis and Mates are going to do after upgrading to Windows 10 with the discontinuation of WMC?

I'm one of those weirdos for whom WMC worked well enough for that purpose that I never looked further & it's something that we use pretty frequently. I'd love to have everything on NAS (my one works great for that purpose with the Moxis & Mates), but I just can't swing the expense of adding more.

I'll appreciate suggestions, particularly if they are simple because my tech understanding is pretty limited, which is why I just kept using WMC: it was simple enough for me to understand and it worked.

TIA,
Saundra
post #6596 of 6596 Unread Today, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 835
I lost WMC when I installed 8. It was so long ago that I don't miss it. Even before then as streaming started becoming more prevalent I used it less and less.

Now any video files I have I run from my Synology using DLNA, other content streams on my XOne, Fire Stick, Blu-ray, Smart TV, 360 etc.

Too much television to watch as it is!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page