Moxi HD DVR - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

Old 01-14-2016, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Tivo and HTPCs do so...

Thanks. Do either of those have an integrated TV Guide that can be synced to the Comcast guide in my area & programed to record multiple shows at multiple times? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by domm View Post
Thanks. Do either of those have an integrated TV Guide that can be synced to the Comcast guide in my area & programed to record multiple shows at multiple times? thanks
OK so I googled Tivo & answered my own question & the answer is yes to TV Guide & syncing but before I found out on recording multiple programs I found out that Tivo charges an annual fee of $149 which seems to defeat the purpose of owning my own DVR?

I have not found out much on the HTPC yet so any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hi Domm,

Windows 7 with windows media center and an HD Homerun is an awesome HD-DVR OTA solution.
Note that newer versions of windows may not provide windows-media-center. Make sure that app is included.
It is an outstanding DVR app. There are linux DVR HTPC setups/apps too, but I don't have experience with those.

If you are looking to decrypt cable signals, that's another story. I understand that can be done by various HTPC solutions
including windows/WMC and some linux HTPC solutions and requires something like Hauppage hardware, as well as cablecard.
Not sure if the Hauppage hardware is subject to the same MPEG4 limitation that will reportedly prevent all our moxi's from receiving anything but local non-HD channels over comcast cable.

No comcast-letter-about-mpeg4 here yet... Thankfully.

/e
Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by domm View Post
OK so I googled Tivo & answered my own question & the answer is yes to TV Guide & syncing but before I found out on recording multiple programs I found out that Tivo charges an annual fee of $149 which seems to defeat the purpose of owning my own DVR?

I have not found out much on the HTPC yet so any help would be appreciated.
Try http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...ter-computers/ for starters...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any chance we get a software upgrade to support mpeg4.. TiVo is doing it http://zatznotfunny.com/2016-01/tivo-hd-mpeg4/
Old 01-31-2016, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
seems like no chance given the orphanage state of the Moxi.
I could check with my pal @ Arris, but I already know the answer...

on bright side, it won't affect the SD channels, in case you are into SD.
(I've got a moxi-mate on an 20" 1992 vintage Mitsubishi TV with s-vhs input.)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post
Any chance we get a software upgrade to support mpeg4.. TiVo is doing it http://zatznotfunny.com/2016-01/tivo-hd-mpeg4/
emailed Moxi support about 4 months ago and was told no way
Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 AM

Liked: 0
Hello,

I've been trying to catch up to the current post, but too much reading. 225 pages :-)

Anyway, I am interested in purchasing a Moxi to replace the Motorola DVR Verizon makes us use. With the latest comment by pgershon regarding mpeg4, would the Moxi MR-1500T3 still be a viable option to use with FIOS?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvado View Post
I don't know what the market is on here now for old Moxi boxes, but I have a 3 tuner model with a 2TB and 2 Mates available.

Original boxes, no remotes (puppy victims).

If interested let me know. Otherwise I guess the 'bay is always an option.
Hi there. How much? Which models?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxiMafia View Post
Hey All,

Been a while since I posted, but the Moxi HDD replacement thread helped me so much I thought I would put this out to the community here first before I go to e-bay / similar. I've got a MR-1500-3T (3 Tuner) I'm looking to sell. The HDD has been replaced twice, about 3 years back with a 2TB, and 2 months ago with a 1TB (Used the Segate SV35 Surveillance/DVR HDD recommended in the replacement thread, and the "four-finger-press" reset method also described in that thread). It's been a great run but I've recently decided to cut the cord and go OTA/streaming only. I don't have any of the original packaging, however I do have the manuals and all cables (Power/Eth) that came with the unit. I would like to sell it to someone who's specifically interested in the Moxi, it is a great box and I wouldn't be selling if it wasn't for the cable prices in my area. The only issue with the unit is the remote, which was replace with a Charter Communications remote (silver bezzle, black base) after the dog ate the OEM remote (Black bezzle, black base). The remote is exactly the same one that came with the OEM Moxi, same shape, it has all the same buttons, labeled the same, all the same features etc, it just says "Charter Communications" at the bottom instead of "Moxi". I can take pictures of all this stuff, and answer any questions you might have as I was a super early adopter and have seen it all when it comes to the Moxi 3-tuner. PM me or reply inline, i'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks All

MM
How much do you want for it?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator1982ad View Post
How much do you want for it?
Me too. How much?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator1982ad View Post
Anyway, I am interested in purchasing a Moxi to replace the Motorola DVR Verizon makes us use. With the latest comment by pgershon regarding mpeg4, would the Moxi MR-1500T3 still be a viable option to use with FIOS?
Just so you know, retail Moxi is a dead product line that's been discontinued. The service could be switched off at any moment and if you encounter any issues Arris support may not help you.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Just so you know, retail Moxi is a dead product line that's been discontinued. The service could be switched off at any moment and if you encounter any issues Arris support may not help you.
Thanks for the advice, VisionOn. Yeah, it's just so tempting though to try out a device that has such a great following and the prospect of no longer paying a dvr rental fee. I just can't believe more options aren't available to the consumer in this regard. Seems like the cable companies really have a good grasp on that part of the market.

Anyway, thanks again. Especially since I'll probably be risking a few hundred $$$ on the purchase, which may not work out in the long run.

Still tempting.... :-)

I guess there's always the HTPC option. I've been looking into the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime, but the non-tech people will complain about how different it is to watch TV.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah. I won't recommend buy this anymore. I will keep mine and run it unit it dies. Even with the HD channels gone.. It is still a nice solution to have cable in multiple locations.

I will probably go with an OTA DVR, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime and get rid of Cable after the Moxi dies.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post
I will probably go with an OTA DVR, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime and get rid of Cable after the Moxi dies.
I concur. If the plan is to avoid cable there are some new OTA DVR options now and Roku, Fire TV etc. have access to most of the streaming options people need. Especially now premium channels are selling standalone subscriptions.

It's a cheaper way to TV than an entire Moxi system, but if I saw a 3T for $100 or less I have bought more expensive products just to see what they are like, so there are worse investments if the price is right.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if we all email Moxi maybe they will be nice enough to make the code changes to allow the MOXI to read mpeg4. It worked with the shutdown date that we managed to remove.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I was really hopeful about the Moxi, but I guess I'm a few years too late.

I recently bought a series 3 Tivo for the same purpose from a thrift store for $10, but I guess that model is meeting the same fate as the Moxi.

HTPC it is then

Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still working

I am happy to say I have had my 3 Moxi DVRs and 3 mates working since January 2010 so I have gotten great use of them. Switched my cable from TWC to FIOS about 2.5 years ago and the Moxis have been better (no TA necessary). Have had to swap out hard drives periodically and the units freeze from time to time and require reset. I find it safer to go from channel to channel on the menu screen than using channel up and channel down (which periodically causes a freeze). I suspect that the MPEG-4 stations are part of my problem on freezes - Moxi cannot get them. Fortunately, FIOS to date only has a few MPEG-4 stations in NYC at least, and they are not channels I watch. I realize that I might have to replace Moxi at any time if MPEG-4 usage increases, which will be too bad. But I got great usage out of them. Much cheaper than TIVO, especially when the TIVO monthly service is factored in. And the multi-room functionality is very good - seamlessly able to record in one room, start watching in another, and finish watching in third room. Probably won't last much longer, but when the day to replace Moxi arrives, I will miss it.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Got the canned email from Moxi.

We cannot add support for MPEG4 broadcasts. The Moxi's hardware is was designed and built before MPEG4, and so is not compatible.

As ARRIS no longer manufactures or sells retail set top boxes such as the Moxi HD DVR, you will have to obtain a set top from Comcast or another [retail] company that supports tuning to and decoding MPEG4 channels.

It is the end of the road for the Moxi for me. I had the Moxi for 75 months (purchase 11/09 @ $1000). Right now the monthly cost is averaging $13.33 per month and dropping. No regrets on this purchase.

Kinda like when I bought the Sirius Lifetime subscription... still going strong.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Posts lately sound like a Moxi funeral. My Moxi's are still going strong and I plan to use them for years to come. Recently purchased a Tivo Bolt for one TV but wife and kids hated it and wanted the Moxi back.

I'm in a different camp. I believe Moxi still has value and offers something still not found in other DVRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Posts lately sound like a Moxi funeral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The lack of a mpeg4 support is a big deal for many. sigh.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Posts lately sound like a Moxi funeral. My Moxi's are still going strong and I plan to use them for years to come.
As do most of us, but the point is that it's not up to us. How long your Moxi keeps working is entirely dependent on when Arris decides to pull the plug on the life support they started a couple of years back. As soon as they stop the guide service Moxi is useless. Without manual timer recording there would be no way to schedule a recording of anything even if the signal still came through.

As it stands now MSOs are deploying technology beyond the Moxi capabilities and Arris is not going to create a workaround, so the life support for those areas is not enough to keep the unit alive.

Old Today, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, we just got the letter from Xfinity (Comcast) that our area will be switching to MPEG-4 on 2/23/16 ......

Bummer...

Still prefer the Moxi over renting a crappy box from Comcast. SD will have to do .......

The Roku's can still display HD from Netflix so won't totally be left out.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement