Moxi HD DVR - Page 226 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #6751 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time lurker, here!

I haven't read through everything but I've got a few questions. I have a two tuner Moxi and have been a happy customer for probably 7 years. Three or four years ago I had freezing and skipping, I replaced my HD with a 1.5 gig, did the four finger push and have been running smooth since. Until about six months ago when my unit began to freeze, not the hard drive but the unit itself. It would get stuck with the menus on screen. The temperature was fine. I'd reboot and it would be fine, for a day or a week. It was annoying but not a huge hassle. Then for awhile it was fine.

Just recently it started acting up again.

It just dies.

I reboot, sometimes it hangs up and sometimes it starts back up again.

Sometimes all three lights are flashing. Sometimes not. Sometimes there's on solid one, only.

Does anyone have any way to check what sort of error codes this thing is throwing? I was considering trying a new harddrive but thought I'd ask in here before dropping the cash on one. Also considering getting a used one off of ebay, but you never know what you'll find with those. Does anyone know how long Moxi plans to continue giving us the channel lineup? From what I can see they were planning to get rid of it, but since everyone asked nicely they're continuing it on. Is that right?

Thanks all!

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoodog View Post
Long time lurker, here!

I haven't read through everything but I've got a few questions. I have a two tuner Moxi and have been a happy customer for probably 7 years. Three or four years ago I had freezing and skipping, I replaced my HD with a 1.5 gig, did the four finger push and have been running smooth since. Until about six months ago when my unit began to freeze, not the hard drive but the unit itself. It would get stuck with the menus on screen. The temperature was fine. I'd reboot and it would be fine, for a day or a week. It was annoying but not a huge hassle. Then for awhile it was fine.

Just recently it started acting up again.

It just dies.

I reboot, sometimes it hangs up and sometimes it starts back up again.

Sometimes all three lights are flashing. Sometimes not. Sometimes there's on solid one, only.

Does anyone have any way to check what sort of error codes this thing is throwing? I was considering trying a new harddrive but thought I'd ask in here before dropping the cash on one. Also considering getting a used one off of ebay, but you never know what you'll find with those. Does anyone know how long Moxi plans to continue giving us the channel lineup? From what I can see they were planning to get rid of it, but since everyone asked nicely they're continuing it on. Is that right?

Thanks all!

Josh
Do u have a separate tuner? I have to reboot those tues and thurs with the auto moxi reboots? Otherwise, it would freeze up when channel surfing sometimes.
post #6753 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
System freezing and failure to start, I would say hard drive. We've had very few hardware failures in this thread that were not drive related. Tuning adapters and CableCARDS should have no effect on the system or the UI only the channels in the list and the ability to view them.

Since the entire OS sits on a portion of the hard drive if something goes wrong with the interface it's probably because it cannot access that sector of the drive.
TeeJay1952 and Shmoodog like this.

post #6754 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Do u have a separate tuner? I have to reboot those tues and thurs with the auto moxi reboots? Otherwise, it would freeze up when channel surfing sometimes.
My Moxi is my tuner, so I don't think that's an issue. It goes off without warning. No freezing, disppears. Occasionally, the screen freezes... not the tv image but the Moxi itself.
post #6755 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
System freezing and failure to start, I would say hard drive. We've had very few hardware failures in this thread that were not drive related. Tuning adapters and CableCARDS should have no effect on the system or the UI only the channels in the list and the ability to view them.

Since the entire OS sits on a portion of the hard drive if something goes wrong with the interface it's probably because it cannot access that sector of the drive.
With that in mind, what HD is recommended? I have:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

When I bought mine, it was $85 but the price has double. Even still, I feel like prices have come down on storage, I thought I could get the same size for less. Help is appreciated!

Josh

Last edited by Shmoodog; 06-01-2016 at 02:06 PM.
post #6756 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
With that in mind, what HD is recommended? I have:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

When I bought mine, it was $85 but the price has double. Even still, I feel like prices have come down on storage, I thought I could get the same size for less. Help is appreciated!

Josh
You can check out some of the latest posts in the hard drive thread. Bit of a crapshoot these days. Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread

If you don't already know, I think you are limited in your max storage with the two tuner Moxi so 1.5 is probably the max you can get.

Of course there may not actually be anything wrong with your drive. I've had my share of freezes and unexpected restarts dating back to the original drive. Could be just bad software coding that gets the system locked up.

If you are not losing recordings, seeing video corruption during playback or the recordings skipping then you might just want to live with it for a bit longer.

Last edited by VisionOn; 06-01-2016 at 02:22 PM.
post #6757 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
would someone that knows please confirm our Moxie is not MPEG4 compatible? I'm in the Seattle area and last week I received the letter and today no HD channels!
Thanks

Mike
post #6758 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 PM

a prior post mentioned the support team said it wasn't capable. If you don't mind, who is your tv provider? search mpeg4 for posts related in this topic.
post #6759 of 6773 Old 06-01-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
You can check out some of the latest posts in the hard drive thread. Bit of a crapshoot these days. Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread

If you don't already know, I think you are limited in your max storage with the two tuner Moxi so 1.5 is probably the max you can get.

Of course there may not actually be anything wrong with your drive. I've had my share of freezes and unexpected restarts dating back to the original drive. Could be just bad software coding that gets the system locked up.

If you are not losing recordings, seeing video corruption during playback or the recordings skipping then you might just want to live with it for a bit longer.
I've looked through the hard drive replacement thread, has anyone gone and made a list of the hardrives that worked? I have a two tuner and have looked through the thread, is that info. in one place?
post #6760 of 6773 Old 06-02-2016, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I've looked through the hard drive replacement thread, has anyone gone and made a list of the hardrives that worked? I have a two tuner and have looked through the thread, is that info. in one place?
It hasn't been updated in quite awhile, but this should be a link to the post Mark did with a spreadsheet:
Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread

In case the link doesn't work, it's post #463 by giomania.
post #6761 of 6773 Old 06-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I went to Best Buy and picked up a 1.5TB Seagate Desktop drive for a 2-tuner and it has been working fine for 6 months. I picked up a 2TB Seagate for a 3-tuner Moxi I got about a month ago and it is working just fine so far. Seems like anything from Seagate works. My other 3-tuner I got in 2014 has a 2TB SV35 Seagate and it has been rock solid so far, knocking on simulated wood! Never been a fan of Seagate but so far they are working out just fine. Of course YMMV.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #6762 of 6773 Old 06-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Back in late February I had reported that Xfinity sent the dreaded "MPEG-4" letter announcing the migration but so far we have seen no loss of HD channels (way past the date indicated). Not sure what happened but we still enjoy HD on the HD channels ......
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #6763 of 6773 Old 06-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thank You. Please report when it does screw up MOXI.
post #6764 of 6773 Old 06-20-2016, 11:54 AM

External Drive Enclosure Recommendation?

We have two 3-tuner Moxis with external drives also connected. I bought the external drive enclosures (Rosewill) back in 2010, and one of them has recently (over the past three weeks or so) started making noise -- to me, it sounds like the fan is having issues. I've got a spare drive on hand in case it's the HDD going bad, but I wanted to try replacing the enclosure to see if that resolves the noise problem.

My issue is that Rosewill no longer makes the specific enclosure I've had so much good luck with over the past six years and I'm unsure what to go with now. I recall that there apparently issues with lots of enclosures with eSATA interfaces. I found newer Rosewill enclosures with eSATA interfaces that seem rather pricey to me ($35-40) and I have no idea if they will play nice with the Moxi.

Can anyone offer recommendations for specific external drive enclosures that are known to work with Moxis?

TIA,
Saundra
post #6765 of 6773 Old 06-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Moxi Updates

On rare occasions when I'm watching live TV, a MOXI message pops up saying that an update is pending and asking if I want to RESET now, or later.

Usually I say later, but today I said to do it now.

When my 2-tuner MOXI started to install the update and restart, I was apparently stuck in a look of checking the hard drive and trying to start MOXI. After that repeated several times, I unplugged, and tried to restart from scratch.

It was taking a long time with MOXI staying on the checking hard drive screen, so I tried unplugging and plugging in again to restart again.

This time, I waited for a very long time until the process completed; approximately an hour. Happy to report that all is well again.

Moral: give your precious MOXI a while to complete its checking process.

Fortunately, I also picked up a 3-tuner model last year because I dreaded the day the original might fail. I was programming in my series to record while the original MOXI was checking its hard drive. I also scanned thru some of the recent threads since my last visit back in February.

To the person asking about FIOS, that's what I have, branded by Frontier here in the Pac NW. Verizon sold the business to Frontier several years ago, but Verizon still runs the back-end for them.

As far as I know, no plans for MPEG4 on the horizon. Current MOXI hardware cannot be upgraded, as it lacks the HW decoder for MPEG4, and the processor is not powerful enough to do it in software.

Still thankful for MOXI (Arris) to keep things running.

PS Don't forget to reboot your MOXI Mates if you have a problem with any of you main MOXI boxes. Evidently they get confused when their server goes missing.

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
-----------------------------------
post #6766 of 6773 Old 06-23-2016, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmihalik View Post
On rare occasions when I'm watching live TV, a MOXI message pops up saying that an update is pending and asking if I want to RESET now, or later.

Usually I say later, but today I said to do it now.

When my 2-tuner MOXI started to install the update and restart, I was apparently stuck in a look of checking the hard drive and trying to start MOXI. After that repeated several times, I unplugged, and tried to restart from scratch.

It was taking a long time with MOXI staying on the checking hard drive screen, so I tried unplugging and plugging in again to restart again.

This time, I waited for a very long time until the process completed; approximately an hour. Happy to report that all is well again.

Moral: give your precious MOXI a while to complete its checking process.

Fortunately, I also picked up a 3-tuner model last year because I dreaded the day the original might fail. I was programming in my series to record while the original MOXI was checking its hard drive. I also scanned thru some of the recent threads since my last visit back in February.

To the person asking about FIOS, that's what I have, branded by Frontier here in the Pac NW. Verizon sold the business to Frontier several years ago, but Verizon still runs the back-end for them.

As far as I know, no plans for MPEG4 on the horizon. Current MOXI hardware cannot be upgraded, as it lacks the HW decoder for MPEG4, and the processor is not powerful enough to do it in software.

Still thankful for MOXI (Arris) to keep things running.

PS Don't forget to reboot your MOXI Mates if you have a problem with any of you main MOXI boxes. Evidently they get confused when their server goes missing.

Thanks for the update.
post #6767 of 6773 Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 PM

In regards to mpeg-4, I read an article recently that said that broadcasters would continue simulcasting tv in mpeg-2 also for the time being. I guess someone with Comcast lost a lot of their hd channels and then someone hasn't lost them yet so I'm confused.

On another note, the moxi is still going great but it seems that Arris has sold off the some of the assets to the Whole Home Solution (to Espial, a Canada-based company) that they suggested people get after they stopped selling our retail product..arghh. I hope we won't have another fight on our hands. I just need all the current features, etc. working for lifetime.

Last edited by dz2k; 06-30-2016 at 08:58 PM.
post #6768 of 6773 Old 07-05-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I have a question, don't know if it's been asked or not. Is there any way to pause and get rid of the progress bar on the screen?
sslund likes this.
post #6769 of 6773 Old 07-05-2016, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I have a question, don't know if it's been asked or not. Is there any way to pause and get rid of the progress bar on the screen?

Yes, press the clear button at the bottom left of the remote.
sslund and rebkell like this.
post #6770 of 6773 Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

Life altering! So glad the question was asked -- and answered -- because I have been annoyed more than once by this and hadn't a clue. Thanks!
teeitup likes this.
post #6771 of 6773 Old 07-06-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
Life altering! So glad the question was asked -- and answered -- because I have been annoyed more than once by this and hadn't a clue. Thanks!
Thanks, I didn't know that
post #6772 of 6773 Old 07-06-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
All these years I put up with this thing frustrating the heck out of me constantly. Thanks for this great tip!
teeitup likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6773 of 6773 Old 07-07-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The remote layout is so awkwardly designed that the only way I figured out all the shortcuts and remember that some of those tiny buttons exist is because I had to map them all to the layout on my Pronto remote. Where I placed the most useful in more prominent positions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page