Moxi HD DVR - Page 231 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #6901 of 6913 Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That doesnt sound right. Best to install to ensure it's working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6913 Old 08-22-2016, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It doesn't sound right to me at all, either: the cloning time was 3 hours 20 minutes for a 2 TB drive. It finished the cloning with no error messages (I don't know if G4L gives error messages if there's a problem). The progress seemed very steady: when I was noting speed, it seemed to range from about 160-182 (or so) MB/sec.

I can't imagine I did any different than everyone else has done -- I just followed the instructions I printed out from Mark's (IIRC) "Replacing a Moxi HDD" instructions. I did download G4L from SourceForge rather than from the freecode.com/projects/g4l link in Mark's instructions, so maybe it's a newer "version" of Linux or G4L (v 0.51 released 2016-05-08) that's faster? The only other thing I did was disconnect all my internal hard drives (I have six in my PC), and I followed VisionOn's suggestion to make sure I was using my motherboards two fastest (6Gb/s) ports rather than the any of the four slower (3Gb/s) ports.

I'm pretty darn certain I picked RAW Mode, then Click 'n' Clone, and I must have checked to make sure I had the correct source & target drives at least 10 times. Then "Click 'n' Clone Clone the drive now!" It put up a verification screen, and I again checked to make sure I'd selected appropriately before hitting enter to select "Yes."

But the proof will be in the pudding, which I can't try until Wednesday or maybe Thursday. My dh gives me flack about being the Queen of Cables, yet I haven't been able to locate any of my SATA-to-eSATA cables. No one local had them, so I had to order and they won't arrive until Wednesday.

My hunch is that I managed to do something wrong even though I was careful to follow the instructions. I'll report back when I've hooked it back up to the Moxi.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Saundra
post #6903 of 6913 Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
It doesn't sound right to me at all, either: the cloning time was 3 hours 20 minutes for a 2 TB drive. It finished the cloning with no error messages (I don't know if G4L gives error messages if there's a problem). The progress seemed very steady: when I was noting speed, it seemed to range from about 160-182 (or so) MB/sec.

I can't imagine I did any different than everyone else has done -- I just followed the instructions I printed out from Mark's (IIRC) "Replacing a Moxi HDD" instructions. I did download G4L from SourceForge rather than from the freecode.com/projects/g4l link in Mark's instructions, so maybe it's a newer "version" of Linux or G4L (v 0.51 released 2016-05-08) that's faster? The only other thing I did was disconnect all my internal hard drives (I have six in my PC), and I followed VisionOn's suggestion to make sure I was using my motherboards two fastest (6Gb/s) ports rather than the any of the four slower (3Gb/s) ports.

I'm pretty darn certain I picked RAW Mode, then Click 'n' Clone, and I must have checked to make sure I had the correct source & target drives at least 10 times. Then "Click 'n' Clone Clone the drive now!" It put up a verification screen, and I again checked to make sure I'd selected appropriately before hitting enter to select "Yes."

But the proof will be in the pudding, which I can't try until Wednesday or maybe Thursday. My dh gives me flack about being the Queen of Cables, yet I haven't been able to locate any of my SATA-to-eSATA cables. No one local had them, so I had to order and they won't arrive until Wednesday.

My hunch is that I managed to do something wrong even though I was careful to follow the instructions. I'll report back when I've hooked it back up to the Moxi.

Saundra
it sounds like you did everything right and it was successful. your speeds are faster than what I've seen so it makes sense that your clone didn't take as long. good job!
post #6904 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

Saundra

Did you run G4L on a windows PC or some other OS?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6905 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Did you run G4L on a windows PC or some other OS?
It's a Windows PC, but would Linux or G4L know that with no internal hard drives other than the two Moxi drives connected?

As an aside, because I was paranoid about choosing the correct source and target drives, I also disconnected my external drives before booting into Linux &G4L. As it turns out, I didn't need to be so paranoid because G4L made it pretty easy to choose: the two drives were identified by make, model, & serial numbers (it may have more info about each drive, too, but those are the things I noted).
post #6906 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe the Linux kernel has the ability to detect internal or external drives based on what the systems BIOS says, much like how the old MS-DOS did (I miss DOS). Otherwise booting up Linux would be impossible...

Just to clarify... did you install and run G4L in windows 7/8/10 or you made a separate Linux external boot disk somehow?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6907 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Sorry -- I misunderstood your question, which isn't unusual for me since I don't understand the technical details!

I burned the G4L iso file to CD, booted from the CD, picked the most recent (Linux?) kernel from the menu, and then ran G4L. Does that clarify? I don't think I could have started Windows even had I wanted to (without a Windows install DVD/CD in one of the optical drives) because the Windows OS "lives" on one of the internal drives, doesn't it. Those were all completely disconnected before I started G4L.
post #6908 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry -- I misunderstood your question, which isn't unusual for me since I don't understand the technical details!

I burned the G4L iso file to CD, booted from the CD, picked the most recent (Linux?) kernel from the menu, and then ran G4L. Does that clarify? I don't think I could have started Windows even had I wanted to (without a Windows install DVD/CD in one of the optical drives) because the Windows OS "lives" on one of the internal drives, doesn't it. Those were all completely disconnected before I started G4L.
Thanks, Saundra ...that explains it well I presume the G4L download is a bootable iso file already once burned on the CD?

post #6909 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Thanks, Saundra ...that explains it well I presume the G4L download is a bootable iso file already once burned on the CD?

I think it must be: all I did was download the iso and burn it to the CD. Once remembered to put the CD back in the optical drive before shutting the computer down and did all my prep work after shutting the computer off, it booted from the CD with no problems when I powered it up again. I had an aborted attempt several days ago because I didn't understand I had to pick a Linux kernel to use from the menu before getting to anything that looked like the instructions here, but fortunately folks kindly explained. I'm good at following directions, but not so good at figuring out things when reality deviates from the instructions :-)
post #6910 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again!

post #6911 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

can someone upload the moxi mate user guide pdf?
post #6912 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
can someone upload the moxi mate user guide pdf?
http://web.archive.org/web/201205221...sers_guide.pdf
TeeJay1952 likes this.

post #6913 of 6913 Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version