Moxi HD DVR - Page 233 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 69Likes
post #6961 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodow View Post
Yep, and as soon as I select the provider I get the Error: 500 popup box and that's as far as I can go. I've tried to contact Arris support and they have been less than helpful, which I somewhat understand, but they c can't even point me to who is still supporting the webpage for MOXI.
That is worst than i thought it would be. You have confirmed what someone said support told them about activation of a new moxi after support end date.
On another note, some others and i recently stated that my "already activated" moxi won't allow me to change the channel lineup on moxi.com, giving us error 500. I'm unsure what happens if I go through this process on the box in settings > moxi setup on an "already activated" moxi but can only assume it will do the same thing yours is doing and not populating info at all to select. This may also mean one can really only sell or buy an "already activated" moxi in the same city, state, and exact name of channel lineup given you cant change it.

Last edited by dz2k; 09-19-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yep, and as soon as I select the provider I get the Error: 500 popup box and that's as far as I can go. I've tried to contact Arris support and they have been less than helpful, which I somewhat understand, but they c can't even point me to who is still supporting the webpage for MOXI.

Wait, that they WOULDN'T allow? So basically these are boat anchors then? And are worthless since you can't sell them since no one could activate "new" ones. Would've been ice if they had said that in the email if that's the case.
post #6963 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Wait, that they WOULDN'T allow? So basically these are boat anchors then? And are worthless since you can't sell them since no one could activate "new" ones. Would've been ice if they had said that in the email if that's the case.
You could sell them. From recent discussions if someone has a cloned drive they could just drop it in and the unit will be as normal.

At this point nobody who doesn't already have a Moxi would be making a smart decision to buy one anyway. That would be investing in a dead product when there are alternatives available.

post #6964 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
You could sell them. From recent discussions if someone has a cloned drive they could just drop it in and the unit will be as normal.

At this point nobody who doesn't already have a Moxi would be making a smart decision to buy one anyway. That would be investing in a dead product when there are alternatives available.

I'll try that tonight. I have a cloned drive, but I still don't think that will work since you have to activate it on MOXI.com

And sadly I agree on buying a MOXI. Just throwing good money after bad at this point.
post #6965 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'll try that tonight. I have a cloned drive, but I still don't think that will work since you have to activate it on MOXI.com
You'll have to read back a few pages on the experiments people have been doing to see what results people have had.

Theoretically if the drive was cloned from a previously activated drive, then you should have no problem. If it was a clone of of a fresh install then you are heading into the experimental test zone with the rest of us at this point.

post #6966 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 03:00 PM

I came across a weird issue. after a recent g4l ddrescue clone of primary hdd, I cannot view any channels and it says "you do not subscribe to this channel." this is very weird given that most channels just display. when I go to the cablecard pairing info screen, it says "information is not available." I've had the provider send some hits to the cablecard w/o luck. I tried unplugging/re-inserting the cablecard and it recognizes that a new cablecard was inserted but still the same issue on the cablecard pairing info screen. this also happens on the cloned hdd. everything including coax, etc. is screwed in tight. I have a few ideas I'm going to try next. the cablecard status screen has some info about having a Motorola cablecard. any suggestions?
post #6967 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
I came across a weird issue. after a recent g4l ddrescue clone of primary hdd, I cannot view any channels and it says "you do not subscribe to this channel." this is very weird given that most channels just display. when I go to the cablecard pairing info screen, it says "information is not available." I've had the provider send some hits to the cablecard w/o luck. I tried unplugging/re-inserting the cablecard and it recognizes that a new cablecard was inserted but still the same issue on the cablecard pairing info screen. this also happens on the cloned hdd. everything including coax, etc. is screwed in tight. I have a few ideas I'm going to try next. the cablecard status screen has some info about having a Motorola cablecard. any suggestions?
If the usual dance routine of unplugging, rebooting, re-inserting, rebooting doesn't work and if customer support sent hits to the card and waited long enough it may need re-pairing not just just sending an update hit. Try and call in for a re-pair and if that doesn't work just get a new card.

Or just swap out for a new card anyway since you will still have to call in to pair it, but will get new hardware that may rule out any existing problems.

post #6968 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
If the usual dance routine of unplugging, rebooting, re-inserting, rebooting doesn't work and if customer support sent hits to the card and waited long enough it may need re-pairing not just just sending an update hit. Try and call in for a re-pair and if that doesn't work just get a new card.

Or just swap out for a new card anyway since you will still have to call in to pair it, but will get new hardware that may rule out any existing problems.
I had them do a ccv hit and standard hit last week w/o luck. maybe i'll have them try again as I think they sent them back to back.
post #6969 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:

another re-pair on current cablecard failed so I went to the local office to swap it. I then had them re-pair to the new cablecard and I'm back in business. Thanks.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #6970 of 6980 Unread 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
You'll have to read back a few pages on the experiments people have been doing to see what results people have had.

Theoretically if the drive was cloned from a previously activated drive, then you should have no problem. If it was a clone of of a fresh install then you are heading into the experimental test zone with the rest of us at this point.

No joy. I took a cloned drive from my primary MOXI and installed it in my "new" MOXI. All I got was the MOXI screen. Looks like if it's not already on your account you're not going to be able to use it.
post #6971 of 6980 Unread 09-20-2016, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, this is a bummer. For whatever reason, I'd thought those who already had Moxis would be able to add used (and perhaps even never used, as in bodow's case) Moxis to their existing Moxi accounts. Based on bodow's experience, it looks like never used Moxis really are bricks now, which doesn't totally surprise me.

For me personally, a more significant concern is that it seems used Moxis aren't even an option anymore if the cable lineups can't be changed as dz2k reports. I get that spending money for a used Moxi is throwing good money after bad for many/most, but for me, the lack of user-friendly affordable whole house alternatives (remember, where I live, TWC is charging me an arm & a leg for a crappy 2-tuner tiny hard drive Motorola DVR) has me pretty wedded to Moxi since we aren't likely to run into the MPEG 4 issue.

Question: KY Jedi recently offered two used Moxis for sale -- did anyone buy either or both, and if so, did you have any luck getting them working?

When they were offered for sale, I considered snagging one except I didn't see the offer for several days & assumed they'd been taken. I'd wondered if a potential work-around to the potential problem of not being able to add a new used Moxi to one's account might be for the seller to agree to share the Moxi account log in information after changing the account info to the buyer's info, but if the cable co & line-up really can't be changed, then it seems to me picking up a used Moxi is no longer even an option?
post #6972 of 6980 Unread 09-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Thumbs down

Not worth it when u cant change the channel lineup. Youd have mismatch recordings everywhere.
post #6973 of 6980 Unread 09-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I think you owners already know this but it maybe worth mentioning again as Arris sold the Moxi UI and everything that goes with it, support, servers, etc. to Espial. Arris no longer has any control over the UI as they got out of the UI business and now mainly are in the hardware business.
http://espial.com/espial-announces-a...rm-from-arris/
http://espial.com/solutions/espial-whole-home-solution/

If you go to Moxi.com you end up on this Arris page which is titled Moxi end of life Statement:
http://www.arris.com/company/moxi/

I think you remaining owners should start considering what other options are left which is mainly TiVo and they have just been bought by Rovi. Outside of that you will have to use your cable companies STB offerings.
I bailed on the Moxi when I found out Arris was buying them so I recouped all my money many years ago. I found myself on the losing end of to many sales or shutdowns of CE equipment RCA, Pioneer, HD DVD, etc. so if you decide on TiVo just be forewarned that the retail unit there can come to an end at any time. I do have two TiVo myself but I am not going to sell them as I own both of my CableCards so I will use them until the end comes.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6974 of 6980 Unread 09-20-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I think you remaining owners should start considering what other options are left which is mainly TiVo and they have just been bought by Rovi. Outside of that you will have to use your cable companies STB offerings.
I'm about to ditch my cable TV service in the next couple of weeks and see how streaming services combine for content. My Moxi is still packed with recorded content so it will not be going into storage any time soon.

When TWC drop their promotional pricing they quickly lose value and there are more over-the-top options appearing every few months now. Plus, Google Fiber is being deployed in my area so I expect TWC will coincidentally be offering better deals in a few months.

post #6975 of 6980 Unread 09-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I'm about to ditch my cable TV service in the next couple of weeks and see how streaming services combine for content. My Moxi is still packed with recorded content so it will not be going into storage any time soon.

When TWC drop their promotional pricing they quickly lose value and there are more over-the-top options appearing every few months now. Plus, Google Fiber is being deployed in my area so I expect TWC will coincidentally be offering better deals in a few months.

The irony in all this is I got a solicitation from my cable company this morning for the Arris Whole Home system.
http://www.secv.com/freetv/
The UI really hasn't been changed from the retail units.
http://www.secv.com/6tuner/
Even the remote is the same.
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/gateway_quickguide.pdf

They have had this available for a while now but it is sad to see that Arris really did not do much with it since they bought it. The award winning Moxi UI is 8 years old now.
I got out of the habit of saving recorded material on DVRs as it is to easy to lose stuff. I record, watch, and delete right away. With TiVo they have skipmode now and it becomes available right after the show ends and the recording is done. It is a very nice feature.
If I decide I want to have something to watch down the road I either buy the Bluray or I rent/buy on Vudu or Amazon Prime. If you purchase titles on Bluray most now include a digital HD copy that you can redeem on Vudu and add it to your UV library at no additional cost.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6976 of 6980 Unread 09-20-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
The irony in all this is I got a solicitation from my cable company this morning for the Arris Whole Home system.
http://www.secv.com/freetv/
The UI really hasn't been changed from the retail units.
http://www.secv.com/6tuner/
Even the remote is the same.
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/gateway_quickguide.pdf

They have had this available for a while now but it is sad to see that Arris really did not do much with it since they bought it. The award winning Moxi UI is 8 years old now.
Arris have always been making money behind the scenes with cable infrastructure hardware, but buying Moxi feels like Arris wanted a quick solution to compete with other multi-room systems that were hitting the market. And as usual the internet started making those hardware systems irrelevant in the past few years so they sold it off.

When you can just download an app to any internet-connected device you own and access your content then you don't really need special boxes for every room.

post #6977 of 6980 Unread 09-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Isn't X1 Moxie with a new paint job?
post #6978 of 6980 Unread 09-21-2016, 11:41 AM

No, I dont think it has a cablecard and the guide can be regularly updated with new features without replacing the box. Wait, the Moxi could've been updated with new features but someone was lazy. They didn't have trouble removing features that is for sure.

Last edited by dz2k; 09-21-2016 at 07:14 PM.
post #6979 of 6980 Unread 09-21-2016, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was just goofing around trying to get to moxi.com and tried an old link from history and got to several moxi pages. The online scheduling seems to still work. Here is a screen shot I did of trying to add a new moxi. Is it at this point that you guys are getting the error 500? Interesting to note that if I click on the Moxi logo at the top it takes me to the Arris page about end of life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moxi Capture.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1674673  
post #6980 of 6980 Unread Today, 08:01 PM

Quote:

I can't get rid of cable. I like to have content in 1 place and without buffering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders