86Likes

post #7081 of 7104 Old 01-30-2017, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
you have a dvr and a mate. I think you have 2 remotes so try the other one for the mate.
I took one mate out of service (I had a spare) but now have run into another roadblock; I recently purchased a sound bar for the mate in the bedroom (Samsung HW-K450) & cannot sync the Moxi remote to the sound bar to adjust the volume. I have gone thru all listed codes then tried programming by search and seemingly, I've gone thru 1,000 codes with no success. Is it possible the Moxi rempte won't control the sound bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7104 Old 01-30-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddock01 View Post
Is it possible the Moxi rempte won't control the sound bar.
Most definitely. Remember the Moxi hardware is ten(?) years old. So any technology introduced recently is unlikely to be in the codeset.

If it's just an updated version of an old product line then manufacturers sometimes keep using the same codes every year and finding a close match in the database usually works. If it's a new product line then there was probably nothing similar existing before to be added to the Moxi database.

post #7083 of 7104 Old 01-31-2017, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Most definitely. Remember the Moxi hardware is ten(?) years old. So any technology introduced recently is unlikely to be in the codeset.

If it's just an updated version of an old product line then manufacturers sometimes keep using the same codes every year and finding a close match in the database usually works. If it's a new product line then there was probably nothing similar existing before to be added to the Moxi database.
Well, crap. I hate having several remotes. Is there a universal remote on the market that will have the functionality of the Moxi remote but will also have the ability to capture new codes? Not sure I'll go this route since the days of the Moxi are numbered anyway but the remote would be useful for whatever I choose to upgrade once my Moxi dies.

Knowing that the Moxi is on the way out - and I'm sure this has been discussed earlier in this forum, is there any other DVR available for purchase on the open market? I hate having to pay the cable companies rental fees on their boxes however, rental may be cheaper in the long run if whatever I buy gets phased out or needs repairs... The never ending question.

Thanks for the assistance.

post #7084 of 7104 Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddock01 View Post
Well, crap. I hate having several remotes. Is there a universal remote on the market that will have the functionality of the Moxi remote but will also have the ability to capture new codes?
Any learning-capable remote will be able to replace the Moxi remote. Most modern universal remotes may already have the codeset in their database because the Moxi is so old.

The usual suggestion for any remote is a Logitech Harmony. Mostly because all the other dedicated remote companies are as dead as Moxi. Find one that fits your price point and you'll be set. Moxi is already in their database.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes

Last edited by VisionOn; 01-31-2017 at 09:06 PM.
post #7085 of 7104 Old 02-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I switched to WoW (Wide Open West) from Comcast. It was painless. I erased all future recordings. Loaded new Channel lineup. Installer switched cable outside the house. Phoned in modem to network and cablecard activation and good to go. 20 minutes.
post #7086 of 7104 Old 02-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
I switched to WoW (Wide Open West) from Comcast. It was painless. I erased all future recordings. Loaded new Channel lineup. Installer switched cable outside the house. Phoned in modem to network and cablecard activation and good to go. 20 minutes.
Cool. Curious about the switch. Does WOW have faster internet speeds in your area or something?
post #7087 of 7104 Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Cool. Curious about the switch. Does WOW have faster internet speeds in your area or something?
Based on what I've heard WOW is the best at not being the worst cable company in the country.

That goes a long way when the bar is as low as it is.

post #7088 of 7104 Old 02-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

1981 Comcast customer. In October they added a video/internet equipment charge to my bill. I called (India) contested bill and was told pay usual amount. Every month they add it back in, take it out , add in again and add late charge. It has accrued to $30 over my bill. Last fellow said to just pay it and when they figure it out they will rebate me. A half hour call every month for 5 months and no resolution. Everyone very polite and say they fixed it but next month back again. My blood pressure can't take it. If you complained about your wife continually I would wonder why you don't do something about it. So I did. I also have my own dvr so I have no cable box or modem. They refuse to understand that. Comcast is down rezzing output and going to mpeg4 so my DVR will not work. WOW's main box (Ultimate TV) is a 6 tuner Moxie so I should be good for a while.
Internet was available in 25/60/100 increments and pricing. Bundles galore. 2 years, 60 internet/Medium cable for $96 with a $30 increase at end. (with a premium channel) I wanted to stay (no reason really) but a man gotta do what a man gotta do.
post #7089 of 7104 Old 02-14-2017, 12:28 PM

We just had ATT Fiber installed in the neighborhood so I finally have a viable option to TWC.

Unfortunately ATT Fiber do not use CableCARDs so that doesn't help my Moxi at all. So not really a better option apart from speed which I do not really need. Life without cable television is fine but I do miss the Moxi just taking care of all my viewing habits without any fuss.

post #7090 of 7104 Old 02-14-2017, 12:55 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
1981 Comcast customer. In October they added a video/internet equipment charge to my bill. I called (India) contested bill and was told pay usual amount. Every month they add it back in, take it out , add in again and add late charge. It has accrued to $30 over my bill. Last fellow said to just pay it and when they figure it out they will rebate me. A half hour call every month for 5 months and no resolution. Everyone very polite and say they fixed it but next month back again. My blood pressure can't take it. If you complained about your wife continually I would wonder why you don't do something about it. So I did. I also have my own dvr so I have no cable box or modem. They refuse to understand that. Comcast is down rezzing output and going to mpeg4 so my DVR will not work. WOW's main box (Ultimate TV) is a 6 tuner Moxie so I should be good for a while.
Internet was available in 25/60/100 increments and pricing. Bundles galore. 2 years, 60 internet/Medium cable for $96 with a $30 increase at end. (with a premium channel) I wanted to stay (no reason really) but a man gotta do what a man gotta do.
Understood. I won't stand for repeated billing issus either.
post #7091 of 7104 Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Activated a new moxi DVR with no issues today. I got one from eBay 3 tunner for 28.4 USD with free local pick up. Turn it on I removed the previous owner existing account...Moxi reset to factory settings...Reboot...After that add the moxi in my online account ...Enter the code provided and everything was good after that. Moxi was in good condition... still with the original HDD.
tveli, TeeJay1952 and dmusoke like this.
post #7092 of 7104 Old 03-26-2017, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had an issue with some channels with no video only sound? It seems to be random on the channels it works one day not another day. I have comcast not sure if it's a bad Mcard or comcast making changes to the signals? Is this why Moxi stopped support? I have a box from comcast in case I wanted to watch movie on their ondemand those channels work
post #7093 of 7104 Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

You may be running into the Mpeg2 vs 4 controversy.
post #7094 of 7104 Old 03-26-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
You may be running into the Mpeg2 vs 4 controversy.
So comcast is making changes to how the signal is going out or the network?

Looks like if they keeps up comcast will make this unit outdated seeing they will not make updates for us
post #7095 of 7104 Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1960 View Post
So comcast is making changes to how the signal is going out or the network?

Looks like if they keeps up comcast will make this unit outdated seeing they will not make updates for us
That's exactly the situation you may find yourself in. It's been reported previously here. Eventually you may find your Moxi turned into a doorstop.

post #7096 of 7104 Old 03-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
locally the mpeg-4 conversion started on 3/28. so far only i've only noticed one HD channel has disappeared moxi domain:
One of the HBO HD channels, the primary/east-coast feed.

The moxi will remain useful and an awesome cost-savings even if all the pay-HD channels disappear, especially since it sounds like the local channels may remain available in HD to moxi.
post #7097 of 7104 Old 04-11-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
That's exactly the situation you may find yourself in. It's been reported previously here. Eventually you may find your Moxi turned into a doorstop.
I found this info out I don't know if any of you found the specs for Moxi if this is true or not.

Any input on this?

said by birdfeedr:Moxi HD DVR and Moxi Mate, although no longer available, do support MPEG-4, according to tech specs. it's from 2013.

If you scroll down a little more you find this quote from Mike Wolf
This is because the Moxi was released as competition to the Premiere.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28076133-List-of-CableCARD-equipment-MPEG-4-support-status
post #7098 of 7104 Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 150
What specs might those be?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7099 of 7104 Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I found this info out I don't know if any of you found the specs for Moxi if this is true or not.

Any input on this?

said by birdfeedr:Moxi HD DVR and Moxi Mate, although no longer available, do support MPEG-4, according to tech specs. it's from 2013.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28076133-List-of-CableCARD-equipment-MPEG-4-support-status
I've never seen any hardware specifications for the capability of the CableCARD interface on the Moxi and since they don't point to any it doesn't make much difference.

Technically the hardware could very well be capable, but if the box software doesn't take advantage of it then it wouldn't help. In the same way that CableCARDs have always had the hardware ability to work with VOD services provided by the cable companies, but for multiple reasons the software is usually prevented from doing so.

Moxi is dead and no software is upcoming. Asking really, really nicely might get you a patch but I'm pretty sure someone did this previously and Arris said no.

post #7100 of 7104 Old 04-11-2017, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Any input on this?

I'm not sure, but I wonder if there might have been some confusion in that 2013(!) discussion? My understanding is that both before & after the 2- and 3-tuner Moxi DVRs that were sold direct to consumers (2008-2011), they had contracts with some cablecos to provide cable boxes/DVRs that were different than the consumer products we were able to purchase. I seem to recall that even after the Moxis were no longer available for purchase by consumers they provided gateway & media players to cablecos. Here's an example of their MPEG-4 capable DVR that is/was available through some cablecos:
http://www.arris.com/globalassets/re...3635-final.pdf

I seem to recall recently seeing Moxi equipment in TWC (now Spectrum) advertising for their "whole house" solutions. I think it must have been last August or so when I temporarily rented a DVR from TWC when the Olympics were on, and I was highly annoyed that I was given a crappy 2-tuner Motorola DVR with a tiny hard drive for $25/month. IIRC, I was told the Moxi-branded equipment was only available for those going for their "whole house" solution, at least in this market.

Anyway, I wonder if there might have been some confusion in that thread?
post #7101 of 7104 Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Has anyone had an issue with some channels with no video only sound? It seems to be random on the channels it works one day not another day. I have comcast not sure if it's a bad Mcard or comcast making changes to the signals? Is this why Moxi stopped support? I have a box from comcast in case I wanted to watch movie on their ondemand those channels work
Yes, and it got worse from there as they changed the mpeg encoding on all of my HD channels.
post #7102 of 7104 Old 04-14-2017, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
I'm not sure, but I wonder if there might have been some confusion in that 2013(!) discussion? My understanding is that both before & after the 2- and 3-tuner Moxi DVRs that were sold direct to consumers (2008-2011), they had contracts with some cablecos to provide cable boxes/DVRs that were different than the consumer products we were able to purchase. I seem to recall that even after the Moxis were no longer available for purchase by consumers they provided gateway & media players to cablecos. Here's an example of their MPEG-4 capable DVR that is/was available through some cablecos:

I seem to recall recently seeing Moxi equipment in TWC (now Spectrum) advertising for their "whole house" solutions. I think it must have been last August or so when I temporarily rented a DVR from TWC when the Olympics were on, and I was highly annoyed that I was given a crappy 2-tuner Motorola DVR with a tiny hard drive for $25/month. IIRC, I was told the Moxi-branded equipment was only available for those going for their "whole house" solution, at least in this market.

Anyway, I wonder if there might have been some confusion in that thread?
The Arris Whole Home Solution business unit was sold to a Canadian outfit called Espial at the the end of 2016. That effectively ended any work on firmware/software revisions that reasonably could support mpg4. I doubt that Espial have much interest in releasing an update, but that's where the code went.
post #7103 of 7104 Old 04-15-2017, 04:58 PM

(Sigh!) This week we were (ahem) "upgraded by Comcast to MPEG 4 signals.... Arrrrrrrgh!

Now having lost the ability to recognize the new format, our Moxie is finally going to thin down those many Dr Oz episodes my dear wife has been stockpiling (we upgraded to a video surveillance grade 2TB drive a while back, so she's been able to pack 100 or so episodes and still be under 25% capacity). Soooo... we reluctantly made the move to Comcast's Xfinity X1 with Xi3 clients and are trying to adapt.

Anyway, I've not seen any Moxies in the Avsforum classifieds, and wondered what y'all are doing with 'em (we have a 2TB main unit and 2 Mates and am not enamored with the idea of dealing with fleabay) ?

BTW, I HATE having to pay to "rent" the Xfinity boxes, but it seemed far wiser than any other options we now had (especially considering some of the features now available).
post #7104 of 7104 Old Today, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 703
If you ignore cheap lifetime Tivo Roamio OTAs that can have Cablecard brackets added to them, sure. And you could always go the PC route with an HD Homerun and WMC.

You have options on Comcast, and they're not that expensive. No way am I renting their crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders