post #7111 of 7129 Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI67 View Post
..."Unavailable" for Home Network Connection and Internet Connection status other than a hardware problem with Moxi, which of course would be the end of the line for the device?

I know the ethernet cable and the router port are good--just tested my laptop with the very port and cable I'm using for Moxi. Of course I've tried "Refresh Connection" to no avail. And powering Moxi down and back up. So is there anything else I can try?
Did you check the network port of the Moxi? Go into your router and check to see if the unit is detected. If it is then you may need to go into your router and try opening some ports in case some kind of ISP/Moxi network issue has appeared recently.

Or just disconnect and reboot everything. Router, Moxi, modem and any other networking device along the chain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 7129 Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojit View Post
Recently purchased a used 3T Moxi and was able to register it on Moxi.com. Cable card from Spectrum and all channels worked like a charm
This is really good to know that the Moxi servers are not completely shut down.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7113 of 7129 Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI67 View Post
I'm not sure I understand. The operating system runs, and the previously recorded programs can be played back. Given that info, does reformatting or replacing the drive seem like a possible solution?
The suggestion was based on my prior experience when I had tuning problems. A complete disk wipe or replacement fixed the problem. Of course, this is the last resort after you've tried everything else.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630

post #7114 of 7129 Old 05-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 59
[quote=SI67;52819137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
You may be running into the Mpeg2 vs 4 controversy.[/QUOT

Several channels had become audio-only on my Moxi, which I understand to be the MPEG4 issue, but in March of 2017, my Moxi on Comcast in Sunnyvale, CA (SF Bay Area) lost all ability to record or show programs. I get "No Signal Detected" on all channels. Can this this be the MPEG4 issue? Has Comcast in the Bay Area gone to MPEG4 across the board? Even if they have, wouldn't I still get audio, instead of "No signal detected?"

Also, it looks like my Moxi's internet connection isn't working. But even without the internet connection (and therefore no schedule information), shouldn't I still be able to watch the currently airing program on any given (non-MPEG4) channel?

I know that Moxi is orphaned and unsupported, and that if it has suffered any hardware failure, it's a doorstop, but I had hoped that day had not yet arrived.

You are correct that all the channels on your system has been converted as this is being reported on the TiVo forum.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi...#post-11206620
I think that day you regret has already arrived since there is only the local broadcast channels left in HD. It has been reported that Comcast's next step is moving to an all IP delivery system and you will need one of their gateway devices like the X1 to view any video at all. At this point even the TiVo's are finished so it is best if you just let go as anything you do now is equivalent to banging your head off of a wall.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #7115 of 7129 Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojit View Post
Hope the following experiences help others:
HDD cloning works great with StarTech SATDOCK. This is available easily and is hardware based and does not care about disk format. Works for internal and external Moxi HDDs. I have tried with 500 GB internal, 2 TB internal and 4 TB external Moxi HHDs with success.
Have cloned an old 500 GB internal Moxi (possibly failing due to continuous reboot and failure to start up) to a new one (both Seagate Pipeline), works good, but getting Moxi freeze-ups and reboots about once a week; not sure if the problem is with Moxi or HDD. Can anyone comment, please?
Have cloned an old 2 TB internal Seagate (failed, because unable to start up) to a 2 TB internal Samsung, replaced (in a 3T Moxi) and it is working like a charm for over a month; not one restart or reboot. Created another clone on a 2 TB Seagate and installed it on a different Moxi (3T) and it would not start; possibly HD system is locked to Moxi SN? Anyone help with this?
Connected an external HDD (4 TB) from one Moxi 3T to a second Moxi 3T and it showed up "blank"; connected it to the first Moxi and it had all the recordings on it.
All clones were done using Startech SATDOCK.
Yeah, internal & external HDDs are tied to a particular Moxi somehow. I don't recall anyone ever figuring out the mechanism? IIRC, there was discussion that perhaps the link was on somehow on the motherboard or perhaps a ROM flash chip or something? LOL -- the technical discussion was clearly over my head.

Good to know about the StarTech SATDOCK! Do you remember how long the Moxi drive cloning took? I've had great luck using G4L & was incredibly happy the speed (with my particular computer hardware -- others have seen much slower speeds), but finding time to crack the case & be without my workhorse is very difficult for me.

What external HDD enclosure are you using with your Moxi? I was/am using really old StarTech enclosures that are no longer available. I accidentally broke one enclosure back in August or so & have been down one external HDD since then because I didn't know what to replace it with. I was using an external docking station with no drive in the Moxi for a time (I was trying to get everything watched from a problematic internal drive & swapping between a new drive to record new stuff), but the docking station doesn't have a fan which worried me for hooking it up as an external enclosure for long term use.
post #7116 of 7129 Old 05-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
Yeah, internal & external HDDs are tied to a particular Moxi somehow. I don't recall anyone ever figuring out the mechanism? IIRC, there was discussion that perhaps the link was on somehow on the motherboard or perhaps a ROM flash chip or something? LOL -- the technical discussion was clearly over my head.

Good to know about the StarTech SATDOCK! Do you remember how long the Moxi drive cloning took? I've had great luck using G4L & was incredibly happy the speed (with my particular computer hardware -- others have seen much slower speeds), but finding time to crack the case & be without my workhorse is very difficult for me.

What external HDD enclosure are you using with your Moxi? I was/am using really old StarTech enclosures that are no longer available. I accidentally broke one enclosure back in August or so & have been down one external HDD since then because I didn't know what to replace it with. I was using an external docking station with no drive in the Moxi for a time (I was trying to get everything watched from a problematic internal drive & swapping between a new drive to record new stuff), but the docking station doesn't have a fan which worried me for hooking it up as an external enclosure for long term use.
Cloning using SATDOCK took approx 1.5-2 hours for 500 GB and approx 3-4 hours for 2 TB.
External drive cages were generic with the proper cable connections for Moxi; make sure they work for a 4 TB drive and are quiet.
post #7117 of 7129 Old 05-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I'm a Comcast customer who has now finally been bitten by the MPEG4 conversion in my area. It was a good ride with these consumer Moxi devices while it lasted. I am debating whether to sell my Moxi 3 tuner DVR and 2 Moxi Mates or to just keep them for posterity and possibly some future version of Antiques Roadshow 20 years down the road. Anyone who can use them interested in making an offer for the package of three devices? The 3 tuner DVR has a Western Digital Purple 2GB internal drive that has proven to work very well...
post #7118 of 7129 Old 05-24-2017, 08:38 PM

I would never have imagined a few years ago that Comcast would screw Moxi users before the system stopped working. But here we are.

post #7119 of 7129 Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ditto on the MPEG4 conversion. I have a 3 Tuner Moxi with Seagate Pipeline 2TB HD, 2 Moxie Mates, and Hauppauge tuner, all works well, save for the MPEG @#$!. $100 + shipping buys the whole shebang (or hand to hand if near CT shoreline). PM me if interested.
post #7120 of 7129 Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghyndman View Post
Ditto on the MPEG4 conversion. I have a 3 Tuner Moxi with Seagate Pipeline 2TB HD, 2 Moxie Mates, and Hauppauge tuner, all works well, save for the MPEG @#$!. $100 + shipping buys the whole shebang (or hand to hand if near CT shoreline). PM me if interested.

Wow! I can't compete in this market. LOL I will keep mine for historical purposes before I let mine go that cheap...
post #7121 of 7129 Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

You know, I chuckled yesterday as I scrolled through the channel guide on my new Xfinity DVR system and realized that most, if not all, of the HD channels are duplicated at the upper end of the channel range. The point being that it almost looks like they are purposefully stuffing double the HD channels. Perhaps they are using the dups as placeholders for future channels, but at the moment it would be reasonable to suggest an alternative theory in that they can rationalize MPEG4 (higher compression) by doing this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I would never have imagined a few years ago that Comcast would screw Moxi users before the system stopped working. But here we are.
post #7122 of 7129 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Last evening, my ~8 year old Moxi (3 tuners, 1.5TB Western Digital drive) popped up a question on the screen in the middle of a show asking permission to "apply Moxi Update? (requires reboot)." I chose YES and after a 30 second or so pause it proceeded to reboot itself. It actually rebooted a bit quicker than usual.

Well - my Moxi has had a tendency to spontaneously reboot itself on intervals that vary from a few days to a month or more. I just never know when it might do a reboot. But never has it prompted me with any question before doing so. I keep it on a battery UPS but it reboots anyway when it wants to.

Briefly, I thought maybe (just maybe) Arris had released an update to the firmware or something and was rolling it out. But since they seemed to have walked away from Moxi support several years ago I just doubt this is true. But what would cause it to even suggest it had an update to apply?

Upon reboot it seems the same as before. I checked some of the settings in Diagnostics but could find no evidence of anything related to firmware or software that showed a recent date. Obviously the lineup download date was recent along with the cablecard authentication date. I did note that my cablecard is vintage 2010. Should I ask TWC for a more recent cablecard?

I'm posting this to ask if anyone else has seen a prompt like this? And if you have do you know what it actually does (if anything)?

FWIW, my Moxi is working well along with 3 Mates that are rarely used. We are on Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) and my wife is so accustomed to the Moxi interface that I dread the day we are forced to abandon it. Of course it has only 3 tuners and the TWC dvr has 5. So there is a bit to be gained by migrat-ng...

-Hawk
post #7123 of 7129 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It reboots a couple times a week for guide updates. That is normal
post #7124 of 7129 Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
It reboots a couple times a week for guide updates. That is normal
It seems odd that in the 8 years I've used the Moxi I never had it spontaneously prompt me to do the update. I had thought it was doing the lineup updates in the wee hours of the mornings and did not realize a reboot was involved. But then I wasn't watching at 3 am so maybe it did reboot.

Anyway, having read the last half dozen pages of this forum it appears my long relationship with the Moxi is likely to be coming to an end. That is sad. I already buried two ReplayTVs a while back after TWC abandoned analogue signals. Alas, technology keeps marching forward... Time to start familiarizing myself and my wife with the TWC dvr.
post #7125 of 7129 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was thinking the exact same thing as you. I have owned my Moxi for many years & have never been asked to do an update & or reboot. Touch wood, so far Comcast has not updated the signal in my area. SE FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk521 View Post
It seems odd that in the 8 years I've used the Moxi I never had it spontaneously prompt me to do the update. I had thought it was doing the lineup updates in the wee hours of the mornings and did not realize a reboot was involved. But then I wasn't watching at 3 am so maybe it did reboot.

Anyway, having read the last half dozen pages of this forum it appears my long relationship with the Moxi is likely to be coming to an end. That is sad. I already buried two ReplayTVs a while back after TWC abandoned analogue signals. Alas, technology keeps marching forward... Time to start familiarizing myself and my wife with the TWC dvr.
post #7126 of 7129 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcInNH View Post
You know, I chuckled yesterday as I scrolled through the channel guide on my new Xfinity DVR system and realized that most, if not all, of the HD channels are duplicated at the upper end of the channel range. The point being that it almost looks like they are purposefully stuffing double the HD channels. Perhaps they are using the dups as placeholders for future channels, but at the moment it would be reasonable to suggest an alternative theory in that they can rationalize MPEG4 (higher compression) by doing this...
The 1xxx channels don't use any extra bandwidth - it's just channel mapping on the box. It's the same stream, just mapped two ways.
post #7127 of 7129 Old Today, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a 3 tuner MOXI that froze up this evening. I re-booted the MOXI thinking that would fix it as it usually does however the reboot never ran to completion. I just got the MOXI logo but never got to the message saying “MOXI is checking your hard drive”. After trying that process several times without success including letting it run an hour or longer, I decided that I must have a bad internal hard drive.

I went ahead and replaced the internal HD with a new identical one that I had on hand (both the old and the new HD are 2 TB drives). I had successfully replaced the internal HD 4 years ago by replacing the 500GB internal drive with a new 2 TB drive (using the 4 FP procedure) at that time. I had no problems with the installation procedure and until today, it had been working fine.

This time however, I have not been able to get the replacement HD installed. It is identical to the drive that had been in there until today. I used the 4FP procedure once more which worked fine, got to “OK” to download the installation software then got the message saying “install initiated”. The problem is that the “install initiated” message just stays on seemingly forever without any installation being completed. It never reaches the point where it asks to start formatting the drive.

The HD installation instructions from earlier in this thread say that the “install initiated” process can run as long as 20-40 minutes. I have let it run as long as 1 hr 45 min without it completing. I have verified that I had a good internet connection to the MOXI but at this point I am stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is going wrong here? Do I need to let the process run even longer than the almost 2 hours that I already have? Has my MOXI unit itself (the non HD part) given up on me? I realize that support for MOXI ends in August but I had expected that I could still access and download the software from MOXI.NET until then. Could it be that it’s already gone however?

I am completely stumped at this point. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go from here to get this working? Thanks for any help.
post #7128 of 7129 Old Today, 04:56 AM

TWC nearly always require a reboot when they update their channel lineup. It usually happens at 3 am and if you are watching late at night you will see the reboot prompt.

Not sure if it's because of tuning adapters or cards but the Moxi has to reboot to see what has changed.

post #7129 of 7129 Old Today, 06:58 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_111 View Post
I have a 3 tuner MOXI that froze up this evening. I re-booted the MOXI thinking that would fix it as it usually does however the reboot never ran to completion. I just got the MOXI logo but never got to the message saying “MOXI is checking your hard drive”. After trying that process several times without success including letting it run an hour or longer, I decided that I must have a bad internal hard drive.

I went ahead and replaced the internal HD with a new identical one that I had on hand (both the old and the new HD are 2 TB drives). I had successfully replaced the internal HD 4 years ago by replacing the 500GB internal drive with a new 2 TB drive (using the 4 FP procedure) at that time. I had no problems with the installation procedure and until today, it had been working fine.

This time however, I have not been able to get the replacement HD installed. It is identical to the drive that had been in there until today. I used the 4FP procedure once more which worked fine, got to “OK” to download the installation software then got the message saying “install initiated”. The problem is that the “install initiated” message just stays on seemingly forever without any installation being completed. It never reaches the point where it asks to start formatting the drive.

The HD installation instructions from earlier in this thread say that the “install initiated” process can run as long as 20-40 minutes. I have let it run as long as 1 hr 45 min without it completing. I have verified that I had a good internet connection to the MOXI but at this point I am stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is going wrong here? Do I need to let the process run even longer than the almost 2 hours that I already have? Has my MOXI unit itself (the non HD part) given up on me? I realize that support for MOXI ends in August but I had expected that I could still access and download the software from MOXI.NET until then. Could it be that it’s already gone however?

I am completely stumped at this point. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go from here to get this working? Thanks for any help.
Keep trying with the replacement hdd that you initialized a new install on. Unplug any tuning adapters and unneccessary cords and reboot. It should pick up where it left off. Other things to try are to try another ethernet cord or plug direct to modem if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page