93Likes

post #7141 of 7154 Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xignals View Post
Lets all band together and buy it! With some minor tweaks we could make this a money maker!

Seriously I have been dreading the day I come home and find nothing on the grid but TBA. Not sure what I will do when it happens. Is there a company out there that does not place ads on their listings?
Count me in. We know the flaws of rhe device but the OEM ignored some of them in order to make more money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 7154 Old 05-30-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
If someone like Channel Master put Moxi software on their OTA DVR they would have a winner. Basic DVR functionality with a great interface is all that user base needs.

The higher the price and with extras like cable support the Moxi needs far more than it has. Multiple software updates for new systems and at the very least a streaming app platform for things like Netflix and Amazon.

post #7143 of 7154 Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_111 View Post
I thought of that too. I decided that I don't want to try swapping drives again on the internal unit since now that I have things working there after a number of tries, I don't want to take a chance that after a swap I might not be able to get it working again after a second internal HD re-install.......
.......I put the original external HD back in its case and it continues to work fine along with the new, internal HD (knock wood).
Well, after several days of the MOXI working fine after replacing the HD, I powered up the TV this morning and found a NO SIGNAL message on the MOXI port. Since I occasionally have experienced this message because the HDMI cable on the MOXI has slipped out, I checked that out thoroughly but found no problem. I then connected that HDMI cable to my Comcast STB and it worked fine.

This told me that the problem had to be in the MOXI box itself and I hit “reset” (after reconnecting the HDMI cable). I immediately got the MOXI logo on the TV verifying that the connection to the MOXI box was indeed intact. Unfortunately, from that point on I just kept getting the MOXI logo alternating with a “no signal” message from the MOXI and it never would reboot. I could also hear the box trying to restart itself every time the logo appeared (this was with a HD that about 2-3 days earlier was brand new and unused).

Repeated attempts to re-boot the box continued to be unsuccessful even after trying such things as disconnecting the external HD and also the Ethernet cable. Finally, after much frustration I disconnected the power to the box and let it sit for an hour. As one last Hail Mary effort, I reconnected the MOXI to power and this time it booted up normally! It is now booting normally again (but who knows for how long).

Getting the device to reboot successfully turned out to be the least of my worries however since once I did, I discovered that Comcast had implemented the MPEG4 conversion in my area over the weekend and I can no longer access video on many HD channels on the MOXI. I can view and record SD channels OK and still a number of HD channels as well but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before those remaining HD channels go too.

Comcast has now screwed me again, the same way they made my Magnavox DVRs obsolete several years ago with the QAM channels change. Sadly, between the intermittent boot problems and now the MPEG4 conversion, I must now conclude that my MOXI has reached the end of the line (and sooner than expected). Time to kick the tires on a TIVO “Bolt” or (choke) Comcast’s own device.

post #7144 of 7154 Old 05-31-2017, 05:44 AM

This sounds like a problem i had with the hdmi port on moxi going out. I use a component output with red/white audio cables and it works reliable again. Its not perfect because it may take a few reboots to come online but i get to keep the moxi, which is most important.
post #7145 of 7154 Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 AM

does anyone know how to repair a moxi?
post #7146 of 7154 Old 06-03-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
does anyone know how to repair a moxi?
I assume you mean repair beyond fixing/replacing the hard drive? if the problem is on the motherboard, then you are out of luck, except maybe replacing it with one from another Moxi player.

What is the problem anyways?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7147 of 7154 Old 06-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
I assume you mean repair beyond fixing/replacing the hard drive? if the problem is on the motherboard, then you are out of luck, except maybe replacing it with one from another Moxi player.

What is the problem anyways?
I had it running once, activated it, and even tried a hdd clone to swap the hdd. the issue is I would say 9 of 10 times the moxi will power on but not display the moxi logo. this happens with or without an output connected (hdmi, component, composite, etc.). it constantly reboots. I'd say its in pretty bad shape.
post #7148 of 7154 Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
I had it running once, activated it, and even tried a hdd clone to swap the hdd. the issue is I would say 9 of 10 times the moxi will power on but not display the moxi logo. this happens with or without an output connected (hdmi, component, composite, etc.). it constantly reboots. I'd say its in pretty bad shape.
Well, I finally broke down and got a Tivo Bolt. I don’t know what the odds were that the Moxi would go belly up at the same time that Comcast made the MPEG 4 change that would preclude its use in HD on that network, but that seems to be exactly what’s happened. I will be holding a memorial service for the old Moxi soon.

I got a 500 GB, 4K, 4 Tuner, OTA and cable Bolt with the lifetime (now called “All In”) plan on Ebay. The model I bought is currently selling for $158.00 on Amazon (without the service plan) but the Tivo Bolt Plus, with 6 tuners and a 3TB internal HD is about $500 on Amazon. The only real difference between them is the larger HD and 2 additional tuners. If you don’t need 6 tuners (and 4 is plenty for me), why pay $300- $350 more for a model with a 3TB HD? There are supposedly 8 and 12 tuner Tivos coming but 4 is plenty for me. Even the 3 tuners on the Moxi were adequate for most of my uses.

If you don’t need the two extra tuners, just get the cheaper one with the smaller, 500GB HD and upgrade the HD yourself as I am doing. Upgrading the HD is really easy on the Tivo, easier than on the Moxi. Just remove a few torx screws to remove the cover, then remove a few more screws to get at the HD (on the Tivo Bolt, the Internal HD is a 2.5 “drive), snap out the old drive an snap in the new drive. The drive many Tivo users use is a Toshiba 3TB 2.5” HD which fits in the same space as the old HD. It is plug and play, the new drive formats itself and takes right off.

Or, if you choose, you can use a 4TB or larger HD but in those cases, the drives need to be formatted on a windows system before using in the Tivo. You can even go to a 3.5” HD. Many Tivo users apparently use an external fan cooled HD enclosure for the larger HD’s, cut a small slot in the Tivo case and run a SATA cable from the Tivo to the HD enclosure.

You then have your internal HD outside the Tivo itself. There is also an Esata port for an external HD. In other words, if you already have put your int HD in an outside case and choose to go this route, you would now have TWO HD’s on the outside of the case. If you want, you can buy a Tivo HD upgrade kit from a Tivo vendor such as weaknees.com.

If you REALLY want to go wild, they will sell you an upgrade kit with a 3TB internal drive and 10TB external HD (13 TB total, 1950 HD programming hours) for a $1000 and lots of smaller configurations down to about $150. There is apparently a configuration running elsewhere at 8 TB int plus 8 TB ext (16 TB total, 2450 HD hours) if you want to really go nuts.

The service plan is $15/month (1 yr commit), $150 1 yr lump sum, and $550 for the AIP. You may be able to find a unit with either a first year service plan included on Ebay or elsewhere, or do what I did, find a unit with a discounted AIP included on Ebay.

As far as the Tivo itself goes, I have been running it 5 days now and have found it to be a terrific box, superior to my old Moxi in almost all regards (except for the service plan of course). Mine is the “Bolt” which is one of the newer models. It has MPEG 4 support (which my old Moxi and doesn’t have and hence can’t be used with the new Comcast service). I don’t believe the older Tivo units such as the Roamio Pro and earlier have the MPEG support so be sure to check if you are getting an older Tivo.

The UI on the Bolt is text based but is MUCH faster and more powerful than on the Moxi. It’s been much easier for me to manage the programs on the HD since the UI is so much faster. Locating reviewing programs to decide whether to keep for later watching or to go ahead and delete immediately often takes me only seconds where it might have taken me several minutes to do it on the Moxi. There is too much detail for me to go into here but a few nifty features are:

- Undelete – you can easily undelete previously deleted programs if they haven’t been overwritten.

- Skip over commercials – it really DOES work, and works well. Depending on the program you are watching, you can either press the button once to skip over the entire group of commercials or you may have to press it once to skip each individual commercial in a group. In the latter case, it’s still much easier than trying to skip them manually as I did on the Moxi.

- Quick Mode – when viewing a recorded program, you have the option of playing it back at a slightly higher speed. You get slightly higher pitched voices and slightly compressed audio but it saves you time viewing certain programs if so inclined. I am finding it more useful than I thought it would be at first.

Besides the service plan, the ONLY other significant feature that I had on the Moxi that’s not on the Tivo is the large buffer. The Tivo’s buffer is still only 30 minutes long. I really miss the longer one that the Moxi had. If you can get by the smaller buffer and the service plan issue, and if you are looking to replace your Moxi because of the MPEG 4 change (or other reason), I think you will find the Tivo Bolt to be a worthy replacement.

Here is some more info on the Tivo and let me point on one last thing, if you are looking at the Bolt “Plus”, be careful if you want both OTA and cable. The Bolt Plus only has cable but not both as the regular Bolt does:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2493311,00.asp

There is plenty more information on all of this in the Tivo threads on this forum.
TeeJay1952 and dmusoke like this.
post #7149 of 7154 Old 06-10-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Thank you for the detailed and easy-to-read summary of your experience with your new Tivo Bolt. Nice to know of the alternatives out there and how they stack up to the Moxi. Have a feeling I'll be joining you soon enough...
TeeJay1952 likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7150 of 7154 Old 06-10-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 2231
It's fortunate that Moxi had a relatively good looking UI and some nice ideas when it was launched because that has allowed to feel up to date even though it has technically long been surpassed in feature set and abilities.

When you play around with other video services you can see what Moxi now lacks. It was ahead of it's time when it launched and even TiVo was an ugly text-based system back then.

Moxi has had a good run for something that was abandoned.
sslund likes this.

post #7151 of 7154 Old 06-18-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Thank you for the detailed and easy-to-read summary of your experience with your new Tivo Bolt. Nice to know of the alternatives out there and how they stack up to the Moxi. Have a feeling I'll be joining you soon enough...
In case anyone is interested Tivo is currently having a summer sale until June 30, 2017 or while supplies last (Looks like they are Refurbs). You can get the 500 GB Bolt that I just got (see post 7148 above) for $499.00 including the lifetime All In Service Plain (AIP). That is a good price. You are basically getting the AIP for a little more than half price which is about what I paid for mine. They also have a 6 tuner Roamio for $700 including the AIP (be careful about this one, I don't think it supports MPEG 4) and the Bolt Plus for $800 with the plan. Again, as I pointed out in my previous post, you are paying $300 more for the Bolt Plus and basically getting 2 more tuners and a larger HD (and the Bolt Plus also loses the OTA feature that the regular Bolt has - the Bolt has both cable and OTA). You will have to decide whether that is worth $300 to you or not.

https://www.tivo.com/summersalemeltd...lemeltdown2017

I've had my Bolt running for 2 weeks now and have a pretty good knowledge of what it can and can't do. Other than the still ridiculously short 30 minute buffer on the Tivo, there is nothing I can't do better on the newer Bolt than I could on my Moxi.

One last point, this weekend, I am currently upgrading my internal 500GB HD on my Bolt to a 4TB WD Red 3.5" drive located in an enclosure outside the Tivo. Also, I have found that the UI on the Tivo is so much faster than on the Moxi that it's easier to manage stored shows, i.e. accessing them quickly, reviewing them quickly and deciding whether or not to keep them more quickly. The net result of this is that I have found that I can manage storage more efficiently on the Tivo and consequently need less of it to process and store programs than I did for about an equivalent amount of programming on the Moxi.

Last edited by Scott_111; 06-19-2017 at 09:44 AM.
post #7152 of 7154 Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 729
The Roamio has no issues with mpeg4. Mpeg4 support is in all models going back to the Tivo HD (a ten-year old box).

For folks looking to replace the Moxi, I think fleabay'd Roamios w/lifetime service are the sweet spot. Very easy to find a 6-tuner Roamio Plus for $400 or so, and the drive is an easy change-out if you want more than 1TB. Plus the box will auto-format, download and install the Tivo sw for you.

Be warned that the guide data generally sucks compared to what it used to be now that Rovi has taken over. Most stuff works but season passes will have occasional issues because Rovi has horrible QC with how they handle the data.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 06-18-2017 at 06:58 AM.
post #7153 of 7154 Old Today, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
MOXI Network Connections

I have two MOXI 3-tuner DVRs connected with 4 MOXI slaves all in a home wired network. I seem to often lose the connection from one or both main MOXIs. The connection comes back when I go to "Setup\Network Connections\Reset". After this, all MOXI connections are restored and everything works great!
Has anyone experienced this? What is the solution? Thanks.
post #7154 of 7154 Old Today, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojit View Post
I have two MOXI 3-tuner DVRs connected with 4 MOXI slaves all in a home wired network. I seem to often lose the connection from one or both main MOXIs. The connection comes back when I go to "Setup\Network Connections\Reset". After this, all MOXI connections are restored and everything works great!
Has anyone experienced this? What is the solution? Thanks.
Do you mean that u lose access to recordings on the 2dvrs? If so, use extreme splitters everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders