93Likes

post #7171 of 7187 Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Usually your monthly subscription fee like Tivo pays for guide data, but Moxi rolled that fee into the purchase price.

So the question ever since Arris stopped supporting Moxi is how long Arris (or now Espial I guess?) will pay Tribune the fee so Moxi can keep sending out the guide data to customers they make no money from now.

Guide data could be switched off any minute for no reason. It's always been provided as a courtesy since Moxi ended.

Could be tomorrow or next year. It's entirely out of our control.
Note that Tribune doesn't even own the data anymore. Nielsen bought Gracenote from Tribune for $560 million. Tribune no longer has any data to sell. If guide data is still being provided, it is because Nielsen is now supplying the old contracts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 7187 Old 07-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those of you with Comcast, Charter, etc. cable Tv service, check the back of your Moxi DVR's and you will notice a CableCard slot. A CableCard will decrypt non-QAM channels now that most cable companies have gone to a scrambled digital signal which forces you to rent their cable box. A CableCard will allow you to use your Moxi DVR as a cable box, so you no longer need the cable company's box to watch TV.

CableCards are supplied by your cable company and will usually rent from $2 to $4 per month depending on your cable company. Don't bother purchasing your own CableCard from eBay because your cable company won't activate it unless it's obtained from them. If they allowed you to own your own card they wouldn't be able to get any rental income.
post #7173 of 7187 Old 07-19-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2314
^^^
Huh?

How do you think we got this far? Outside of the USB analog dongle, which very few used, a cablecard is essential for receiving digital cable on a Moxi. Most cablecos started locking down clear QAM signals a few years ago so you couldn't even use it as a recording device without one.

post #7174 of 7187 Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Online Programing is Back!
I checked everyday for 2 weeks and "it got better."
post #7175 of 7187 Old 07-21-2017, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Online Programing is Back!
I checked everyday for 2 weeks and "it got better."
Good news, read your post & checked for myself & I logged in also 👍.
post #7176 of 7187 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by domm View Post
Thanks for all the info. It's all a bit tough to follow & make sense of. I guess all I really want to know, is whoever sends the TV Guide info to the MOXI unit still doing so & will they keep doing so? Thanks
Someone recently confirmed in this thread that zap2it updated their guide after contacting them. I cant predict the future but guide data is critical so everyone knows what shows are on tv so I don't see a reason they'd stop doing it in some capacity. there are a lot of devices besides ours and they normally have a guide too.

Last edited by dz2k; Yesterday at 06:22 PM.
post #7177 of 7187 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Someone recently confirmed in this thread that zap2it updated their guide after contacting them. I cant predict the future but guide data is critical so everyone knows what shows are on tv so I don't see a reason they'd stop doing it in some capacity. there are a lot of devices besides ours and they normally have a guide too.
I'm sure hoping you're right 👍.
post #7178 of 7187 Old Today, 04:25 PM

Quote:
That's not the problem. Nielsen/Tribune/Zap will continue to update their guide data, but it's up to device manufacturers to pay them for it.

So as long as Espial/Arris remember to keep sending them checks the Moxi will have guide data. When Espial/Arris forget we exist or stop caring then Moxi will be become a big playback brick.

post #7179 of 7187 Old Today, 04:35 PM

Quote:
That's not the problem. Nielsen/Tribune/Zap will continue to update their guide data, but it's up to device manufacturers to pay them for it.

So as long as Espial/Arris remember to keep sending them checks the Moxi will have guide data. When Espial/Arris forget we exist or stop caring then Moxi will be become a big playback brick.
I know this is just wishful thinking but is it possible that Arris paid a one time lifetime subscription to the guide provider?
post #7180 of 7187 Old Today, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I know this is just wishful thinking but is it possible that Arris paid a one time lifetime subscription to the guide provider?
I don't think there is such a thing in business. Every contract can be renegotiated, especially when companies are bought and sold.

post #7181 of 7187 Old Today, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think there is such a thing in business. Every contract can be renegotiated, especially when companies are bought and sold.
Ya, I would agree with you but as I said, "wishful thinking"
post #7182 of 7187 Old Today, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I am just wondering why we are still getting the guide at this point, being that our Moxi's have not been supported for some time now?
post #7183 of 7187 Old Today, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I am just wondering why we are still getting the guide at this point, being that our Moxi's have not been supported for some time now?
Charity?

More likely I expect our small portion of the service was rolled into something else in a big sheet of legalese about devices in general. I expect when Espial come around to looking at their hardware and license contracts again they might notice Moxi still exists.

Moxi guide existed on other platforms for different providers before. Didn't that get dropped by those providers and they are now using other guide services?

Last edited by VisionOn; Today at 04:58 PM.
post #7184 of 7187 Old Today, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Charity?

More likely I expect our small portion of the service was rolled into something else in a big sheet of legalese about devices in general. I expect when Espial come around to looking at their hardware and license contracts again they might notice Moxi still exists.

Moxi guide existed on other platforms for different providers before. Didn't that get dropped by those providers and they are now using other guide services?
I don't really understand your question but ever since I have owned my Moxi (I think 2009) I have not noticed any disruption or variation with the guide.
post #7185 of 7187 Old Today, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I don't really understand your question but ever since I have owned my Moxi (I think 2009) I have not noticed any disruption or variation with the guide.
The Moxi you own is a retail box. The software on that box was used by various cable operators on their own devices at the same time. Some had cable-issued Moxi boxes (that were completely different) and others just licensed the Moxi user interface for their specifice equipment like Bend Broadband: https://bendbroadband.com/residentia....asp?kb=100148

post #7186 of 7187 Old Today, 05:33 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

You have a good point, which is why i mention the guide data would remain in some capacity because people rely on it. They should keep paying the bill as they're others boxes probably also use zap2it. Espial is a software company i think. They are supposed to be adding new features, etc. The catch is that will be on the moxi gateway line that was released after our equipment. They are supposed to sell moxi as software to providers like tivo does. On a separate note, did anyone have a leased retail moxi like ours from twc, now spectrum, at some point?

Last edited by dz2k; Today at 05:38 PM.
post #7187 of 7187 Old Today, 05:51 PM

Quote:
You have a good point, which is why i mention the guide data would remain in some capacity because people rely on it. They should keep paying the bill as they're others boxes probably also use zap2it. Espial is a software company i think. They are supposed to be adding new features, etc. The catch is that will be on the moxi gateway line that was released after our equipment.
Yeah, I guess it depends on what they do with the software. They could upgrade it on their other boxes and systems so it pulls in guide data differently or just go with an entirely new data provider. In both cases that would leave Moxi all on its own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page