Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 6412 Old 04-18-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
I'm not sure about the game adapter. I tried an access point with my Moxi and it didn't work. Moxi tech support (which is great), recommended a powerline ethernet adpater. This has worked very well.

I'm finally expecting Verizon to show up with an M-Card on Monday. Moxi has been doing their best to get this done via their contacts at Verizon. Getting an M-Card from Verizon is like pulling teeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6412 Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I'm not sure about the game adapter. I tried an access point with my Moxi and it didn't work. Moxi tech support (which is great), recommended a powerline ethernet adpater. This has worked very well.

Not just any "access point" will work; the wireless "gaming adapter" devices aren't the same thing as a general purpose access point, and assuming the access point you had even supported backhauling *via WiFi* (many do not), they need to be set up in a very specific way to do it.

Off topic, but I used to use a similar setup, so I figured it should be pointed out...
post #63 of 6412 Old 04-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

Isn't the bcm7400 series in the motorola dcx? I know mso's are working on new versions of guides for newer platforms. I need to figure out if I can justify waiting for the rentable cable co solution or if I should jump on this. Now if it does do resolution passthrough and they will allow you to stream content from the PC than great! I wonder if it can stream h.264 or x.264 / xvi d / divx etc, I wouldn't have to plug my laptop in to the tv anymore. Although I like boxee's UI and wealth of online content and social features, I would hope that the moxi guys try to emulate that Internet content and social aspect in some way.

Sent from my iPhone.

I just received my Moxi today and am expecting Cox tomorrow for the M-Card... From what I have gathered is that the M-Card is what will enable VOD on the DVR although I am not positive on that front. I do know from what I was reading and have started playing with is that You can play content from a TwonkyMedia Server on your Moxie. So that should handle your streaming concern...
post #64 of 6412 Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyAVphile View Post

I just received my Moxi today and am expecting Cox tomorrow for the M-Card... From what I have gathered is that the M-Card is what will enable VOD on the DVR although I am not positive on that front.

The Moxi is a unidirectional CableCard device, so it does not have the hardware to support VOD. It does not have the hardware to support SDV either, although Moxi does hope to support the SDV adapter (only supported by TiVo at this time) later this year.
post #65 of 6412 Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The Moxi is a unidirectional CableCard device, so it does not have the hardware to support VOD. It does not have the hardware to support SDV either, although Moxi does hope to support the SDV adapter (only supported by TiVo at this time) later this year.

It is probable that I misunderstood, but I thought the M-Card is what enabled the 2-way for VOD beyond the 1st generation of CableCards..
post #66 of 6412 Old 04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyAVphile View Post

It is probable that I misunderstood, but I thought the M-Card is what enabled the 2-way for VOD beyond the 1st generation of CableCards..

No, the cards themselves have nothing to do with that actually. Even the now deprecated S-Cards were perfectly capable of operating in a bidirectional-capable device - there just weren't any due to the licensing terms the present generation of generally-available CableCARD host devices were produced under. It's strictly political/business, not a technical limitation of the cards (but it is for those devices, due to the limitations imposed on them by CableLabs/CHILA). Upstream communication is a function of the host device (what the CableCARDs are plugged into).
post #67 of 6412 Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looks like MOXI will be offering payment plans to ease the "sticker shock" of the purchase.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-04/...payment-plans/
post #68 of 6412 Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Yes it's similar to Tivo. You can use Ethernet, PoE, or Wireless via a game adapter.

Thanks for the reply. I'm eager to hear the user reports on MOXI to see how it stacks up against TiVo.

Bob

New Sig under construction.
post #69 of 6412 Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 AM

This might be a stupid question, I tried looking for a answer on some searches but came empty handed.

Do you REALLY need a cable card for this box to work correctly? We wanted to buy 2 one for the living room and one for the best room. Problem is the living room is the only t.v. in the house with a cable box. The bedroom is standard cable with the coaxial straight to the t.v.

I know we can ask for the cable card for the living room t.v. but what if we just wanted to record standard cable channels for the bedroom? Standard cable has no guide since theirs no box at all, would this be possible to just use as a recording device with no cable card and on standard cable?
post #70 of 6412 Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divang View Post

Do you REALLY need a cable card for this box to work correctly? We wanted to buy 2 one for the living room and one for the best room.

Remember, the Moxi replaces the cable company box just like a Tivo; it does not connect to the cable box.

You don't need a CableCard, just like TiVo doesn't need a CableCard. Moxi doesn't include built-in analog tuners like TiVo, but they do make available an external adapter (Hauppauge tuner) for analog channels at no extra charge. This plugs into the USB port on the Moxi and allows it to tune or record one analog channel.

The Moxi will allow you to remap the "Clear QAM" (local SD and HD channels) with guide information using their web site, something TiVo cannot do. This makes the Moxi superior to the TiVo for basic cable customers [without CableCards], imo. The TiVo requires a CableCard to map "Clear QAM" channels to the appropriate numbers with guide information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divang View Post

I know we can ask for the cable card for the living room t.v. but what if we just wanted to record standard cable channels for the bedroom? Standard cable has no guide since theirs no box at all, would this be possible to just use as a recording device with no cable card and on standard cable?

For the bedroom Moxi, you'd want to request the separate analog tuner. It's not included by default, but it is free by request. As noted above, it connects to the USB port on the Moxi.

Keep in mind you will need some sort of network connection in your bedroom. Moxi downloads guide data from its own Internet servers, just like a TiVo. Moxi doesn't offer its own wireless adapter, so you'll need to either run an ethernet cable or buy a wireless bridge or powerline adapter. A powerline adapter kit like this one is probably a good choice.

Be aware that Moxi doesn't allow you to transfer recordings between DVRs in different rooms. Moxi could add that capability in the future, but I don't think they've said anything about it publicly.
post #71 of 6412 Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Be aware that Moxi doesn't allow you to transfer recordings between DVRs in different rooms. Moxi could add that capability in the future, but I don't think they've said anything about it publicly.

This is a serious limitation compared to Tivo, IMO, but they are supposed to deliver a 'MoxiMate' extender to somewhat make up for it.
The biggest problem with the Moxi right now is that it costs too much, so they're going to relearn all the lessons lost by ReplayTV on why you shouldn't bundle the sub cost in with the hardware.
post #72 of 6412 Old 04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

This is a serious limitation compared to Tivo, IMO, but they are supposed to deliver a 'MoxiMate' extender to somewhat make up for it.
The biggest problem with the Moxi right now is that it costs too much, so they're going to relearn all the lessons lost by ReplayTV on why you shouldn't bundle the sub cost in with the hardware.

I don't know -- I think there's a lot of people who can do the math. And for those who have trouble with math, Moxi does a decent job of highlighting it on their site. The big appeal to me with ReplayTV in 2000 was the lifetime subscription and I didn't considered TIVO because of the lack of it. And it's the reason I now have renewed interest in Moxi. I wouldn't still be using my ReplayTV if I had to continue making payments.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #73 of 6412 Old 04-23-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

I don't know -- I think there's a lot of people who can do the math. And for those who have trouble with math, Moxi does a decent job of highlighting it on their site.

Moxi's cost comparisons are slanted in their favor, as you would expect on their site.

They don't compare their $799 Amazon price against the TivoHD's $250 Amazon price or the TivoHD XL's $480 Amazon price. They compare their $799 Amazon price against the $599 MSRP on the TivoHD XL. [And they certainly don't mention Sears' $199 price or the the availability of $330 TiVo lifetime subscriptions on ebay.]

Moxi is certainly competitive, price-wise, compared to a TiVo with lifetime service. But like slowbiscuit says, they are ignoring the majority of the potential market that would rather pay $500 less with monthly or yearly fees.
post #74 of 6412 Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Quote:

The MOXI does allow transferring recordings between DVR's. Either using the future "MOXI-MATE" or using a second MOXI HD DVR.

http://moxi.com/us/faq.html FAQ 26

"Good news. The MOXI HD DVR was architected with the whole home in mind. At the recent Consumer Electronics Show, we showed our multi-room client product, but haven't announced the release date or price and will do that very soon. When we introduce this product, all the capabilities of the MOXI HD DVR can be accessed in other rooms including the recordings. No time consuming transfers as with TiVo. Recordings would be streamed over your home networks for instant access. If you wanted to get started today though, you could also buy a second MOXI HD DVR and the two will work together in the same manner."
post #75 of 6412 Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Well that's good to know, but it's damn odd that they don't mention it upfront or in their Tivo comparison. Would be interesting to know how well it works.

One thing both Tivo and Moxi needs is cooperative scheduling, so if you have networked units you can setup recordings on any available tuner. ReplayTV has had this for years, albeit with a limited and quirky implementation.
post #76 of 6412 Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

...an exchange of emails with Moxi Support, in part regarding the dongle:

If settings of a recording from the analog dongle are changed while the recording is ongoing Moxi consistently freezes and reboots. At first I thought this glitch was going to be a deal-breaker, but as the workaround is not to modify the settings until the recording is over the only thing apparently lost is the ability to extend a recording on the fly. 'Keep until' can be extended after a recording is finished. The problem doesn't exist when recording from the digital tuners.

Hopefully you'll be able to duplicate the problem (it's consistent and repeatable) and make a software revision. It may be a deal-breaker for some and in any case is a significant flaw.

Within the past week-and-a-half Moxi released a software update that eliminated the freeze/reboot problem when recording from the dongle.
post #77 of 6412 Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

...I asked (Moxi Support) how their system for linking an external HDD works; whether it is more like TiVo's 'HDD marriage until divorce' or Echostar's 'HDD serial partnership'.

At this point I was informally told that any number of external HDDs, while registered to only one Moxi recorder, can be swapped in-and-out one-at-a-time to enable unlimited storage on that Moxi. As stated above, I was promised a definitive follow-up email.

I received this email from Moxi Support:

Re: Follow-up to Trouble Ticket Number 1705 resolution
Monday, April 20, 2009 10:50 AM
To: (fallingwater)

We did confirm that you can use as many External Hard Drives as you want to, however of course you can only use one at a time. Be sure you always disconnect by going into the Moxi menu -> settings -> external hard drive and disconnect the drive properly.

Regards,

Moxi Customer Care
post #78 of 6412 Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 AM

any chance Bestbuy will carry this model?
post #79 of 6412 Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

The MOXI does allow transferring recordings between DVR's. Either using the future "MOXI-MATE" or using a second MOXI HD DVR.

http://moxi.com/us/faq.html FAQ 26

Quote:

Well that's good to know, but it's damn odd that they don't mention it upfront or in their Tivo comparison. Would be interesting to know how well it works.

There's a reason they don't mention it. Email from Moxi:

Quote:

Apologies that our FAQ wasn’t clear and we will fix that. We plan to introduce multi-room HD DVR functionality this year; soon you will be able to use your Moxi for multi-room viewing. While your Moxi HD DVR does not yet have the multi-room functionality, the great news is that when we release this new product, the corresponding software upgrade to your main DVR will occur automatically and at no cost!

If you wanted to get started today though, you could also buy a second Moxi HD DVR – one for each room – and when we introduce the multi-room software upgrade, the two Moxi’s will work together in the same manner to be able to share content between one another, or with “Moxi Mates” when we introduce them. Content recorded, even premium copy-protected shows will be able to be streamed from the Moxi HD DVR to another Moxi HD DVR or Moxi Mate with complete transport control to pause, rewind and fast-forward.

Features promised do not equal features delivered. That said, clearly this is something Moxi is working to deliver this year.
post #80 of 6412 Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsuser008 View Post

any chance Bestbuy will carry this model?

Not any time soon. At this time, Moxi is only able to achieve their current price point via "direct" sales. You order from Amazon.com and the box is shipped directly from Moxi to you. By selling their product this way, Moxi eliminates the "cut" taken by other distributors and retailers.

As an example, Best Buy paid just $208 for each TivoHD when it was released in 2007, and pays less than $180 now...which it then resells for $279-$299. Distributors and retailers require certain margins or subsidies to carry a product, which has the effect of significantly increasing product price. This is the reason why TiVo sells lifetime subscriptions separately, rather than including them with the unit at retail; that way, TiVo receives all the revenue from the subscription, rather than sharing it with distributors and retailers.
post #81 of 6412 Old 04-24-2009, 12:39 PM

I just placed an order, via the Moxi website, for the HD DVR. I was directed to PayPal, where the actual transaction took place. As soon as I submitted through PayPal, I was re-directed to Moxi's home page with no confirmation of order. I did, however, receive a confirmation email from PayPal that my transaction was completed and 'sent' to Moxi. I'm wondering when I'll get my order and shipping information?
post #82 of 6412 Old 04-24-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodwel1 View Post

I just placed an order, via the Moxi website, for the HD DVR. I was directed to PayPal, where the actual transaction took place. As soon as I submitted through PayPal, I was re-directed to Moxi's home page with no confirmation of order. I did, however, receive a confirmation email from PayPal that my transaction was completed and 'sent' to Moxi. I'm wondering when I'll get my order and shipping information?

I got my own question answered with a call to an extremely friendly Moxi rep. Apparently, the PayPal order process is handled completely separately from the Amazon process on the back-end. All of the PayPal orders are actually aggregated through a single woman at the Moxi office, who responds to each order by sending a 'welcome' email and then she sends your info to their distribution center.

So in case anyone uses the PayPal payment feature and is wondering why they didn't receive a confirmation, just be patient and rest assured that your order will be personally handled.

And I must also mention how friendly and conversational the customer service reps are - that's rare these days!
post #83 of 6412 Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I added this TivoHD vs Moxi comparison to the TivoHD FAQ:

Quote:

How does the Moxi compare to the TivoHD?

The Moxi is a dual-tuner HDTV DVR for cable with name-based recording and season passes, much like the TiVo. Moxi licenses guide data from Tribune and delivers 14-days of guide data to each box using their own Internet servers, just like TiVo.

The Moxi is $799 @ Amazon.com. It is not available at retail. That price includes a lifetime subscription; the Moxi is not available at a lower price with a monthly or yearly subscription.

Moxi Advantages

1. Being a newer product, the hardware is based on newer technology (i.e. faster DVR CPU)

• In of itself, this means little. But Moxi developers have more CPU cycles and memory bandwidth to work with when adding new features.

2. 16:9 HD menus (as opposed to a 4:3 menus on a 16:9 HD background)

• The Moxi UI has crisper, sharper text and graphics in the menus.
    • In some cases, Moxi takes advantage of the 16:9 aspect ratio to show more information on the screen. Note however, that Moxi actually shows less guide information on the screen than TiVo.

3. Picture window on every menu screen that shows the current liveTV channel and/or current recording.

4. Fast guide scrolling / scanning.

5. Minimum 1.5 hour HD buffer per tuner (compared to 30 minutes for TiVo); can be up to 3.0 hours per tuner on SD channels;

6. Can record three cable channels at the same time (two digital, one analog) when the free WinTV-HVR-1950 USB tuner is connected.

7. Clear QAM channel mapping through a web interface to fully support HD locals on cable -- with program information-- without the need for a CableCard.

8. DLNA 1.0 client support allows access to music. photos, and videos on computers, network attached storage, mobile phones, and other devices without proprietary software.

• Moxi includes a free license to "PlayOn" DLNA software for Windows, which allows you to watch Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, CNN, and ESPN Internet feeds from a PC through the Moxi;
    • Windows 7 has DLNA server functionality built-in, so you'll be able to right-click on a music or video file on your Windows 7 PC, select "Play to Moxi" from the pop-up menu, and that music or video file will begin playing on the Moxi.
    • Moxi is currently working to add DLNA 2.0 capability with DTCP-IP encryption. This will allow the Moxi to stream recordings throughout the home to other DLNA 2.0 compliant devices that support DTCP-IP encryption.

9. Conflict management allows you to choose which of the two conflicting programs you would like to skip. You aren't limited to skipping the lower priority program.

10. No advertising whatsoever in the UI.

11. Storage expansion works with any external eSATA drive up to 2.0TB, not just the My DVR Expander (500GB, 1TB).

12. External drives can be added and removed at will to archive recordings; recordings are not split across internal and external drives, so recordings are not lost when a drive is removed.

13. Adjustable duration on skip button (30 seconds, 3 minutes, etc).

14. Ability to display a small guide at bottom of the screen.

15. On-screen widgets for weather, sports scores, stock quotes, etc, updated in real time.

16. Online scheduling with real time conflict resolution and the ability to edit / cancel scheduled recordings.

17. Includes backlit remote (included with TivoHD XL, but a $50 option on TivoHD)

18. Moxi provides less auto-correction on FF / REW (can be good or bad, entirely subjective)

Moxi Disadvantages

1. $799 @ Amazon.com with lifetime service and 500GB drive; there is no option to purchase for less with monthly or yearly fees

2. No ATSC (OTA) support; the Moxi is cable only;

3. No support for SDV channels on cable -- Moxi expects to add that capability in 2H 2009;

4. No built-in support for analog channels; customers must request a free USB device to add a single analog tuner to the box;

5. Cannot download or transfer recordings to a computer; cannot view DVR recordings on a computer;

6. No support for multi-room viewing;

• Later this year, Moxi plans to add multi-room viewing between Moxi DVRs and MoxiMate extenders. Unlike the current implementation of MRV on the TiVo, there will be no restrictions on what recordings can be streamed from one room to another, thanks to the use of DTCP-IP encryption.

7. No wishlists or comparable functionality (can't record based on search);

• You cannot setup a single recording to record all new games with your favorite team, regardless of date, time, and channel. You cannot create a single recording to record all new pilots and season premieres. You cannot create a single recording for all new HD movies in a particular genre. You cannot create a recording for a future program not yet listed in the guide, whenever and wherever it shows.

8. No overlap protection, so 1-2 minute program overlaps cause conflicts that can result in missed recordings.

• Many networks run their programs 1-2 minutes past the hour, and this creates conflicts with programs on other networks. TiVo clips off 1-2 minutes from the lowest-priority conflicting program so it still gets recorded, whereas Moxi cancels the recording for the conflicting program.
    • You can manually edit the start and end times to avoid conflicts, but it isn't done automatically like TiVo, so you've got to pay special attention to potential 1-2 minute conflicts.

9. Does not keep a record of recorded programs to prevent re-recording the same programs after they are deleted from the DVR;

10. No display of recorded history or missed programs due to conflicts; if a program is not recorded due to a conflict, there is no record of that on the Moxi;

11. Does not remember the position on the inactive tuner. You can't pause one tuner, switch to a different tuner, and then resume where you left off; the inactive tuner always switches to liveTV;

12. Lacks "traditional" grid-based program guide.

• Moxi's guide is similar to the default "TiVo-style" guide in that it only shows upcoming programs for the currently selected channel. Moxi presents this information in much more graphical way, with quick access to content filters, but they actually show less upcoming program information on the screen (three upcoming timeslots, compared to eight timeslots on TiVo).
    • There is no option to use a traditional grid-based guide instead, as you can on the TiVo.
    • No way to view information for programs that have ended.

13. When you turn on the Moxi, it always displays a liveTV window, even when there is a recording-in-progress (such as a sporting event); there is no way to hide the liveTV window;

• If the user is recording a sports event to watch later, or to watch on a delay to skip commercials, the viewing experience is "spoiled" because the user sees the score before they've started to watch the recording. This behavior is detrimental to sports viewing, but sporting events aren't the only programs affected; key plot developments in movies and series may be revealed before the user has the opportunity to watch the recording. That is not the desired behavior, as it acts as a built-in spoiler.
    • When you finish watching a recorded program, the liveTV video window should always default to whatever channel is not recording. If two programs are recording, then display a black video window with a message, "Two recordings in progress. Press the LiveTV button to display the picture." If Moxi wishes to preserve the existing behavior for some users, then it should add this as an option in global settings.

14. No manual recording screen. You can only create recordings from the program guide or by selecting a search result.

15. No way to customize how recorded programs are displayed (with folders, without folders, list by date recorded, etc).

16. Does not support 16:9 anamorphic SD output through s-video and composite connections -- it always adds bars to the top and bottom of 16:9 HD channels -- so you cannot use a DVD recorder to create 16:9 DVDs;

17. No option to use a phone line for guide downloads; a network connection is required, using a direct run of ethernet cable, a wireless bridge, a powerline adapter, or a MoCA adapter.

18. Has only one CableCard slot, so a M-CARD is required for both tuners to function with digital cable. If your cable provider doesn't have M-CARDs available, then you won't get dual-tuner functionality.

19. No support for Netflix's HD; only supports Netflix SD, and only does so when a Windows PC is on and running the PlayOn software;

20. No support for Amazon's HDTV VOD service with series and movies downloads in 1080p24 with DD5.1 ($4.99 per HD movie, $2.99 per HD episode).

21. Moxi provides less auto-correction on FF / REW (can be good or bad, entirely subjective)

22. Interface not as intuitive (subjective)

Note: This only compares TiVo and Moxi. Like any other unidirectional CableCard device, the Moxi does not support cable company VOD.

If anyone else has something to add, please post.

Edit: Note the numbers were changed since the original posting, so they don't necessarily correspond to number references by other posters.
post #84 of 6412 Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
bfdtv, do you have the Moxi? Your pros & cons list are pretty much on target and seem to be from the perspective of someone who has used the device on an ongoing basis.

I might nitpick one or two of your disadvantages, such as #13 (which I would consider an advantage) and #19 which, as you suggest, is subjective. The subjectivity of #19 is illustrated in my wife's and my reaction to the interface. I actually find it more intuitive and my wife finds it less so.

I have a couple of other nitpicks with the Moxi itself, but I'll post those in a couple of days as I get more time to look at it.

BTW, one advantage I would add without any question at all, is the Moxi tech support. They are simply the best you'll find these days. They assisted me with an M-Card acquisition issue with FIOS by going up the corporate chain of FIOS. Not too many companies would take the time to bother.
post #85 of 6412 Old 04-25-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Interesting list, bfdtv and I agree with all points.

I find the Moxi UI very hard to get used to and hate the fact I can't see a time grid like I could with my comcast DVR.

I've never had a Tivo so I can't comment from that perspective. Took me ages to find out what recordings I had schedule to record ... and when I found it I realized that I had setup the SD versions.... finding a show to record is a LOT harder than Comcast if you known when the show is on - you can't find it by time slot - you have to do a search on the show which is cumbersome.

I prefer to see a grid so I can see at a glance what is coming up in the next hour or so - with Moxi you can't do that unless you go by individual channel.

I'm also very disappointed that when you are fast forwarding and hit play it doesn't back up enough (isn't it better to err on that side?). My two main motivators for getting this unit was for that feature plus more hard drive space.
post #86 of 6412 Old 04-25-2009, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the list. That really helps put it into perspective.

Moxi guys really want to deliver a great product, so pointing out some of the "flaws" may assist them in the direction they want to take for future software updates.

I'm going to wait a little while and watch to see how fast they release software updates, and what kinds of features they would be willing to put into the updates. A grid guide and / or the ability to see more than just the next 3 shows would be nice. Some of the wishlist, manual recording option, adding numbers or names next to channels that do not have a logo, overlap protection, getting content onto the computer, and support for x.264 on MKV or AVI containers via DLNA 2.0+ would be a must.

They are halfway there, but just not yet at the finish line. Like anything, I think it will get better.
post #87 of 6412 Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

bfdtv, do you have the Moxi? Your pros & cons list are pretty much on target and seem to be from the perspective of someone who has used the device on an ongoing basis.

I don't own the new Moxi, but I've used the older Motorola BMC9012 (Moxi) on Charter in the past.

In the past week, I've exchanged PMs with two new Moxi owners. Moxi has also been great about answering product questions via email; that's where I got many of the details in the above post.

The Moxi clearly has some advantages, but a few of the disadvantages are "deal breakers" for me. Moxi must address them before it will get my money. Moxi said via email that they plan to address some of my concerns later this year, which is very promising.

Quote:

I might nitpick one or two of your disadvantages, such as #13 (which I would consider an advantage) and #19 which, as you suggest, is subjective. The subjectivity of #19 is illustrated in my wife's and my reaction to the interface. I actually find it more intuitive and my wife finds it less so.

In #13, I clarified how it should work differently (imo). Here's what I wrote Moxi last week:

Quote:

(5) Add a global setting to hide (or black out) the liveTV video window on recordings-in-progress.

When the user selects a liveTV channel, the Moxi shows a liveTV video window in the menus. When the user selects a recording, the Moxi shows the recorded video window in the menus. In each case, that is the desired behavior.

When you exit a recording on the Moxi, a liveTV video window is displayed, even if that window is a recording-in-progress. If the user is recording a sports event to watch later, or to watch on a delay to skip commercials, the viewing experience is "spoiled" because the user sees the score before they've started to watch the recording. This behavior is detrimental to sports viewing, but sporting events aren't the only programs affected; key plot developments in movies and series may be revealed before the user has the opportunity to watch the recording. That is not the desired behavior.

When you finish watching a recorded program, the Moxi's liveTV video window should always default to whatever channel is not recording. If two programs are recording, then display a black video window with a message, "Two recordings in progress. Press the LiveTV button to display the picture." If you wish to preserve the existing behavior for users that have grown accustomed to it, then you can add this as an option in global settings.

post #88 of 6412 Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

I prefer to see a grid so I can see at a glance what is coming up in the next hour or so - with Moxi you can't do that unless you go by individual channel.

I'm also very disappointed that when you are fast forwarding and hit play it doesn't back up enough (isn't it better to err on that side?). My two main motivators for getting this unit was for that feature plus more hard drive space.

It sounds like you would be more satisfied with TiVo, since it addresses those complaints.

At this time, the "perfect" DVR does not exist, so you have to decide what features are most important to you.
post #89 of 6412 Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Is Moxi shipping a version of this box to any cable providers?

Ken Elliott
post #90 of 6412 Old 04-25-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliot View Post

Is Moxi shipping a version of this box to any cable providers?

The version of this box for cable providers is the Moxi 3012. The hardware and software are very similar in hardware and software. The cable co version has a 160GB drive, rather than 500GB.
Reply HDTV Recorders