post #91 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

Interesting list, bfdtv and I agree with all points.

I find the Moxi UI very hard to get used to and hate the fact I can't see a time grid like I could with my comcast DVR.

I prefer to see a grid so I can see at a glance what is coming up in the next hour or so - with Moxi you can't do that unless you go by individual channel.

I'm also very disappointed that when you are fast forwarding and hit play it doesn't back up enough (isn't it better to err on that side?). My two main motivators for getting this unit was for that feature plus more hard drive space.

Well if you send it back, I'll look forward to the refurb sale.

Ken Elliott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Rumor has it that they don't have many cable operators as customers. There is Charter and BendBroadband.

Any one else? And are they being deployed?

I'm very excited about this box, but would like some certainty that they are shipping in some reasonable volume. I don't see that the Amazon and AVS crowd is going to do it. If nothing else, it would hopefully motivate other providers to pick up quantity. For example, if TWC started buying some, I could either get one through them, or get my own box. (I would opt for the latter as I see TWC boxes as being crippled.)

The nice thing about Tivo is their installed base and collection of IP that makes them reasonably stable.

Ken Elliott
post #93 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Add a global setting to hide (or black out) the video window on recordings-in-progress.

I guess I'm having a little trouble understanding why this is so important to you. I can't seem to work up any concern over it.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #94 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
One thing that Moxi should definitely add, is the option for a clock/channel display on the front of the unit. The "Moxi" display adds no useful input to the viewer.
post #95 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

I guess I'm having a little trouble understanding why this is so important to you. I can't seem to work up any concern over it.

Go over to the TiVo forum and you'll see this is a "deal killer" for many. They do not want built-in spoiler functionality, which is exactly what this does for people that like to record sports. Most of these users do not like (and/or will not tolerate) being told how the program / event ends before they start watching it.

It is common for cable company DVR users to watch a [comparatively] high percentage of liveTV, due to the inherent limitations of those boxes -- limited storage, significantly less than 99.9% reliability, more limited DVR functionality, and inferior commercial skipping. When you use a cable company DVR, you learn to live with certain limitations because you have no other choice. These limitations affect how and to what extent the DVR is used.

People with other DVRs are not faced with the same limitations, and so they do not learn to live with them. They tend to record much more of their programming over time, and many grow to expect certain things from their DVR, such as ~100% reliability, and as alluded above, not spoiling the outcomes of recordings before they are viewed.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

... They do not want built-in spoiler functionality, which is exactly what this does for people that like to record sports...

Whew. I didn't mean to get you work up. This one sentence would have sufficed. But since you seem to feel the need to lecture me on how real DVR users watch TV, I'll point out that I've been using ReplayTV since 2000 and indeed watch very little live TV. But for the rare occasion where I might be subjected to a few second glimpse of a live sports event, I still say "meh". I'll save my rants for more important issues.

post #97 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

Whew. I didn't mean to get you work up. This one sentence would have sufficed. But since you seem to feel the need to lecture me on how real DVR users watch TV, I'll point out that I've been using ReplayTV since 2000 and indeed watch very little live TV. But for the rare occasion where I might be subjected to a few second glimpse of a live sports event, I still say "meh". I'll save my rants for more important issues.

IMHO bfdtv was not ranting or lecturing, just providing a well intended, albeit verbose explanation.
post #98 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 03:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Go over to the TiVo forum and you'll see this is a "deal killer" for many.

I'm not real interested in the TIVO

You seem bfdtv, to be quite taken with the TIVO, fine, but I notice you listed in your advantages for moxie "no advertising in ui" well if that means there's advertising in the TIVO ui, that would be a deal killer for me.

Mostly I'm just wanting to hear about the new Moxie. I hope you guys keep filling us in. Hoping also for a special sale but I'm not holding my breath.

Dave
post #99 of 6304 Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM

There seem to be two threads for the MOXI DVR. I bought one through Amazon. I am now returning it.

Clear QAM had missing channels, that come through fine on my HDTV tuner.

I got a cablecard and had missing HD channels, and Comcast had trouble activating upgraded services. Replacing the cablecard got the upgrade to work, but the no-signal channels are still missing. Comcast repairman says there *is* signal after using his test equipment. MOXI support says they think they have a software issue.

The MOXI crashed twice. That is two too many for me.

I'm returning it as defective, but these may be design issues.

"My DVR Extender" is due via UPS on Tuesday.
post #100 of 6304 Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

Interesting list, bfdtv and I agree with all points.

I find the Moxi UI very hard to get used to and hate the fact I can't see a time grid like I could with my comcast DVR.

I've never had a Tivo so I can't comment from that perspective. Took me ages to find out what recordings I had schedule to record ... and when I found it I realized that I had setup the SD versions.... finding a show to record is a LOT harder than Comcast if you known when the show is on - you can't find it by time slot - you have to do a search on the show which is cumbersome.

I prefer to see a grid so I can see at a glance what is coming up in the next hour or so - with Moxi you can't do that unless you go by individual channel.

I'm also very disappointed that when you are fast forwarding and hit play it doesn't back up enough (isn't it better to err on that side?). My two main motivators for getting this unit was for that feature plus more hard drive space.

Your observations are informative from my perspective. I own Moxi, HDTiVo, and ReplayTV and have used Comcast's DVR in the past.

I too prefer a grid guide over either Moxi's or TiVo's specialty EPGs. TiVo does offer a grid style but TiVo's grid EPG suffers from overly small graphics (same size as its specialty guide) and more importantly no longer displays program listings prior to the present.

Of all DVRs, only TiVo and ReplayTV display program info for programs which have ended. TiVo requires that that info be entered on a separate screen to re-search a program that you've missed while ReplayTV can search directly from its EPG's past listings. ReplayTV has my favorite EPG both for functionality and legibility, but for hi-def, ReplayTV isn't an option.

Moxi and TiVo both employ small graphics in their EPGs which can be hard to make out from across the room. Comcast's and ReplayTV's grid EPGs are easier to read than either TiVo's or Moxi's.

It's possible to zoom the screen on high-def flatscreens to enhance legibility. Zooming works well for Moxi because Moxi's EPG centers the selected program info. With TiVo, zooming the screen's image places the bottom listing below the screen's edge.

Regarding Moxi's FF/RW compensation I come to the opposite conclusion from your's. Moxi's compensation works well with my reflex patterns. TiVo's, for me, is overcompensated to the point of being annoying. Sony's discontinued hi-def DVR offers user selectable compensation, the best solution.
post #101 of 6304 Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliot View Post

Rumor has it that they don't have many cable operators as customers. There is Charter and BendBroadband.

Any one else? And are they being deployed?

I'm very excited about this box, but would like some certainty that they are shipping in some reasonable volume. I don't see that the Amazon and AVS crowd is going to do it. If nothing else, it would hopefully motivate other providers to pick up quantity. For example, if TWC started buying some, I could either get one through them, or get my own box. (I would opt for the latter as I see TWC boxes as being crippled.)

The nice thing about Tivo is their installed base and collection of IP that makes them reasonably stable.

Click on Availability for Moxi's cable DVR locations:

http://www.digeo.com/tech_cable.jsp
post #102 of 6304 Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubit100 View Post

...I bought (the Moxi DVR) through Amazon. I am now returning it.

Clear QAM had missing channels, that come through fine on my HDTV tuner.

... MOXI support says they think they have a software issue.

The MOXI crashed twice. That is two too many for me.

I'm returning it as defective, but these may be design issues.

Moxi Customer Support is exceptional, both friendly and helpful.

When I began using Moxi a few weeks ago it had a software glitch which caused it to lock up and crash whenever recording options were changed while a recording was taking place through the analog dongle. Within two weeks Moxi issued a software upgrade which eliminated that issue.

I've got another week to go on my 30 day money back guarantee.
post #103 of 6304 Old 04-26-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Click on Availability for Moxi's cable DVR locations:

http://www.digeo.com/tech_cable.jsp

Unfortunately, the list is out of date. I used to have a Moxi and I am in a listed region on the Moxi site. TWC phased out Moxi's and don't have new Moxi's AFAIK. Otherwise I wouldn't have the stupid TWC box. I could rant on TWC, but already have. They should never expect an endorsement from me. Its interesting that if I click on "find out more" on the cable option for the link you provided, it goes nowhere.

BTW, I originally had multiple ReplayTVs but ended up with a Moxi when it was about the only HD-DVR in town. I'm used to and am happy with the user interface; it does have a learning curve.

I'm interested in the providers that are actually getting the new DVR. I want some assurance that I'm not buying a white elephant.

Ken Elliott
post #104 of 6304 Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

I use ReplayTV's at the end of video signal chains for standard-def storage and their excellent EPG.

Here's an interesting page from the TW Cable sight:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal...ides_help.html
In my area Comcast provides DVRs and STBs with iGuide which is OK. I take it you have one of the Sci-Atl DVRs?
post #105 of 6304 Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
In my area Comcast provides DVRs and STBs with iGuide which is OK

Well, thanks for the link, but I disagree. Here in Carlsbad TW has discontinued Moxie and I have the Motorola with iGuide now and I don't like it .

It's funny, but in that screenshot it shows a section at the bottom saying "Take charge with parental controls" Well, actually, that section is where they have ads.
Dave
post #106 of 6304 Old 04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

I too prefer a grid guide over either Moxi's or TiVo's specialty EPGs. TiVo does offer a grid style but TiVo's grid EPG suffers from overly small graphics (same size as its specialty guide) and more importantly no longer displays program listings prior to the present.

Of all DVRs, only TiVo and ReplayTV display program info for programs which have ended. TiVo requires that that info be entered on a separate screen to re-search a program that you've missed while ReplayTV can search directly from its EPG's past listings. ReplayTV has my favorite EPG both for functionality and legibility, but for hi-def, ReplayTV isn't an option.

You can go backwards in the Tivo grid guide - simply hit the skip back button (or rewind) and you can go back a couple of days to see what you missed. Well, for show titles at least - you're right that you can't see details. Each press of skip forward/skip back goes a day forward and back in the guide, FF/REW is 90 mins. Pretty much the same as on a Replay (I also have both).
RTV had arguably superior software but they blew it, so we have to live with what we have and hope that Moxi (or someone) pushes Tivo to make a good product even better.
post #107 of 6304 Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

Well, thanks for the link, but I disagree. Here in Carlsbad TW has discontinued Moxie and I have the Motorola with iGuide now and I don't like it .

It's funny, but in that screenshot it shows a section at the bottom saying "Take charge with parental controls" Well, actually, that section is where they have ads.
Dave

Ditto. I keep hitting buttons I can't get back from with Iguide. I have never seen the MOXI UI shown on the TWC page, what version is it? I suppose its an artist conception. AFAIK, TWC stopped the guide info for Moxi in Socal.

Ken Elliott
post #108 of 6304 Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...Here in Carlsbad TW has discontinued Moxie and I have the Motorola with iGuide now and I don't like it.

Dave

Quote:

Ditto. I keep hitting buttons I can't get back from with Iguide. I have never seen the MOXI UI shown on the TWC page, what version is it? I suppose its an artist conception. AFAIK, TWC stopped the guide info for Moxi in Socal.

I don't like the layout of Comcast's STB/DVR remote. While the remote functions reliably, it's not nearly as intuitive as ReplayTV's or TiVo's or even (after the short but steep learning curve), Moxi's. Comcast's remote is laid out in a convoluted fashion and requires more key pushes to accomplish basic functions than others.

But other than Comcast's remote and the ads what are your criticism's of iGuide itself? For me it's easy to read and relatively aesthetic.

The artist's conception of Moxi's GUI looks like what Moxi is using on its standalone and, I assumed, cable STB's. Definitely different and eye catching and while a bit much, not as confusing as first appears. Also, no ads at all! I initially thought Moxi's GUI was overly convoluted, but after having used it awhile, find it gets the job done. Moxi's EPG is accessed directly from its remote's MOXI button which then provides access to all other Moxi features.

Subjective nitpicking:
While Moxi's remote has bigger keys and a basically similiar keypad layout, I find TiVo's Premium black 'Peanut' learning remote classier in appearance. TiVo's Peanut is also somewhat less 'tippy'.

The Peanut's backlight is a proven battery hog; I don't know about Moxi's. Both remote's backlights can be turned off. As mentioned in Sound & Vision's review of Moxi in the current April/May issue, not yet online, it's easy to mistakenly use the Moxi remote's FF/RW (<< >>) transport buttons instead of the GUI navigation buttons (← →).
post #109 of 6304 Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:

it's easy to mistakenly use the Moxi remote's FF/RW (<< >>) transport buttons instead of the GUI navigation buttons (← →).

I made that mistake about ten times. I figured I was just being stupid. It is good to know I'm not the only one who would hit rewind, when I wanted arrow left.
post #110 of 6304 Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
But other than Comcast's remote and the ads what are your criticism's of iGuide itself?

Well, I've got lots. I think I know what Ken meant about not being able to get out of some things. If you push fast forward, or rewind and accidently touch another button, your cursor will not work until you find the button you hit and undo it. Youll be flying past what you want and you can't stop it. The stop button will not work.

Also, the stupid screens that pop up like, "Your recording has now started" that block practically the whole screen and stay there for 30 seconds unless you pick up the remote and press "OK".

The fact that the search function finds only the SD version of a show. My Moxie always listed all the channels a show appeared on and you could just choose to record the HD one. With this Motorola, if you find your show airs on SD on wed at 9, well then you need to scroll all the way through till next wednesday and hope it appears at the same time in HD. Scrolling more than a day takes quite a while.

Unbelievably, even if you are watching a show on HD and clink "info" then"set series recording" the unit will record the show on the SD channel. The only way to set a series recording to a HD channel is to surf through the listings.

There are other weird quirks. If you set a recording it may pop up that "Your request conflicts with two previous recordings" but it will display only the first one. And then, if you choose to go ahead and record, it pre-empts the second one - the one you didn't see.

Another thing is the display on the box. I like that theres a clock, but when you fast-forward, it switches to FF on the display. Or when it's recording all you see is "REC" on the screen.

Oh by the way for Ken maybe, and others with Time-Warner. I saw a TW cable guy today and asked him about the new Moxie. He said there was no chance they will be going back to Moxie (here in San Diego area). But he said that they will be going over to Scientific Atlanta as soon as their contract with Motorola is up.

Dave
post #111 of 6304 Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Well, I've got lots. I think I know what Ken meant about not being able to get out of some things. If you push fast forward, or rewind and accidently touch another button, your cursor will not work until you find the button you hit and undo it. Youll be flying past what you want and you can't stop it. The stop button will not work.

Also, the stupid screens that pop up like, "Your recording has now started" that block practically the whole screen and stay there for 30 seconds unless you pick up the remote and press "OK".

The fact that the search function finds only the SD version of a show. My Moxie always listed all the channels a show appeared on and you could just choose to record the HD one. With this Motorola, if you find your show airs on SD on wed at 9, well then you need to scroll all the way through till next wednesday and hope it appears at the same time in HD. Scrolling more than a day takes quite a while.

Unbelievably, even if you are watching a show on HD and clink "info" then"set series recording" the unit will record the show on the SD channel. The only way to set a series recording to a HD channel is to surf through the listings.

There are other weird quirks. If you set a recording it may pop up that "Your request conflicts with two previous recordings" but it will display only the first one. And then, if you choose to go ahead and record, it pre-empts the second one - the one you didn't see.

Another thing is the display on the box. I like that theres a clock, but when you fast-forward, it switches to FF on the display. Or when it's recording all you see is "REC" on the screen.

Oh by the way for Ken maybe, and others with Time-Warner. I saw a TW cable guy today and asked him about the new Moxie. He said there was no chance they will be going back to Moxie (here in San Diego area). But he said that they will be going over to Scientific Atlanta as soon as their contract with Motorola is up.

Dave

Thats quite interesting. The head of TWC San Diego wants to deploy Samsung boxes. They even started testing a Moto box in the Palm Springs area. The Samsung HD-DVR does have a 320 GB HDD. I believe they won't be deploying Navigator in the ex Adelphia areas. It will be a tru2way version of iGuide. Navigator is for the Scientific Atlanta area in non north county San Diego.
post #112 of 6304 Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going Tivo or the new Moxi. I just want to know some cable company has committed to about about 10,000 or more of them before I buy the Moxi.

As for Tivo, if they constructively updated the Tivo HD, I'd go with them with lifetime service. I do like the Moxi DLNA client capability. If they could support Firefox on it ...

How's the noise on these guys? Is it suitable for the bedroom?

Ken Elliott
post #113 of 6304 Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently there is some talk about a tru2way roll out on July 1. Is this true? If so, what does this add to the mix. I hear there is an Echostar T2200S lurking out there. Sorry about getting off topic.

Ken Elliott
post #114 of 6304 Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm going Tivo or the new Moxi. I just want to know some cable company has committed to about about 10,000 or more of them before I buy the Moxi.

From Engadget http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/28...hes-wisconsin/

Quote:

Looking for a Moxi box without paying $799 (even in easy monthly payments) up front? We got the heads up that Charter is expanding the footprint for its Cable HD DVR 3012 multistream CableCARD box, starting with Wisconsin. Apparently following a successful test in St. Louis Charter is ready to deploy 23,000 of the set-top boxes in 2009 and make it the primary DVR in the area. No official word from Charter on the new hardware yet, but the trend of Digeo actually shipping units is one we can get used to.

post #115 of 6304 Old 04-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I've got lots (of criticisms of iGuide). I think I know what Ken meant about not being able to get out of some things. If you push fast forward, or rewind and accidently touch another button, your cursor will not work until you find the button you hit and undo it. Youll be flying past what you want and you can't stop it. The stop button will not work.

Dave

Fair enough! It's amazing how stupidly some products are designed.

I've got a Panasonic mini-stereo which I use for TV audio. It has a timer function which utilizes a pleasant looking relatively large clock display. But the only time the clock displays is when setting the time. When the stereo is off it displays nothing and when it's on it displays only the input or station.

Most of your well taken points apply to Comcast's DVR, which I no longer have. I use a standard-def digital STB with iGuide which Comcast provides at no extra charge. The STB does display the annoying recording popups but at least it can be pre-programmed to change channels. I pad the start/end times by a minute to omit the screens from covering the program I want and use it with Moxi's analog dongle to casually record Premium channels in standard-def without a CableCARD.
post #116 of 6304 Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As for Tivo, if they constructively updated the Tivo HD, I'd go with them with lifetime service. I do like the Moxi DLNA client capability. If they could support Firefox on it ...

How's the noise on these guys? Is it suitable for the bedroom?

I've got both HDTiVo and Moxi and in my experience both are exceptionally quiet.

Soon after I got Moxi I turned off its front panel lights. Then a night or two later Moxi rebooted itself. At about 3:00a.m. on came the big blue MOXI which really lit up the room. At the time I didn't know what was happening or why. It only happened that one time, although I've since manually rebooted Moxi on purpose when configuring it with the dongle.
post #117 of 6304 Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...TiVo does offer a grid style but TiVo's grid EPG suffers from overly small graphics (same size as its specialty guide) and more importantly no longer displays program listings prior to the present.

Moxi and TiVo both employ small graphics in their EPGs which can be hard to make out from across the room. Comcast's and ReplayTV's grid EPGs are easier to read than either TiVo's or Moxi's.

It's possible to zoom the screen on high-def flatscreens to enhance legibility. Zooming works well for Moxi because Moxi's EPG centers the selected program info. With TiVo, zooming the screen's image places the bottom listing below the screen's edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

You can go backwards in the Tivo grid guide - simply hit the skip back button (or rewind) and you can go back a couple of days to see what you missed. Well, for show titles at least - you're right that you can't see details. Each press of skip forward/skip back goes a day forward and back in the guide, FF/REW is 90 mins. Pretty much the same as on a Replay (I also have both).
RTV had arguably superior software but they blew it, so we have to live with what we have and hope that Moxi (or someone) pushes Tivo to make a good product even better.

Thanks for posting. I was totally wrong regarding both TiVo's grid guide's ability to go back in time and using a high-def TV's ZOOM to enhance legibility with either style of TiVo's EPG.

It's been awhile since I last used TiVo's grid guide. Has one of TiVo's software updates upgraded the grid guide's capabilities and the screen position of either style of guide when used with ZOOM? Now the grid guide is a contender and ZOOM works with both!

Coupled with the recent software upgrade enabling the guide while watching recordings, TiVo has finally recognized that everybody doesn't want to watch TV totally timeshifted.

TiVo and Moxi have significant philosophical differences regarding what a DVR should do and how it should work. TiVo is oriented toward watching most TV timeshifted while Moxi is better suited for a user who watches a mix of live and recorded shows.

More power to them both!
post #118 of 6304 Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I've got both HDTiVo and Moxi and in my experience both are exceptionally quiet.

Soon after I got Moxi I turned off its front panel lights. Then a night or two later Moxi rebooted itself. At about 3:00a.m. on came the big blue MOXI which really lit up the room. At the time I didn't know what was happening or why. It only happened that one time, although I've since manually rebooted Moxi on purpose when configuring it with the dongle.

Before I returned my MOXI I discoverred that turning off the MOXI logo turned off the recording lights. This is in contradiction to the User Guide. MOXI tech support thanked me and said they would correct the User Guide.

A simple piece of black electrical tape can block out the MOXI logo and allow the record lights to be seen.
post #119 of 6304 Old 05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for posting. I was totally wrong regarding both TiVo's grid guide's ability to go back in time and using a high-def TV's ZOOM to enhance legibility with either style of TiVo's EPG.

It's been awhile since I last used TiVo's grid guide. Has one of TiVo's software updates upgraded the grid guide's capabilities and the screen position of either style of guide when used with ZOOM? Now the grid guide is a contender and ZOOM works with both!

Coupled with the recent software upgrade enabling the guide while watching recordings, TiVo has finally recognized that everybody doesn't want to watch TV totally timeshifted.

TiVo and Moxi have significant philosophical differences regarding what a DVR should do and how it should work. TiVo is oriented toward watching most TV timeshifted while Moxi is better suited for a user who watches a mix of live and recorded shows.

More power to them both!

Both are still options for me. Does anyone know how video quality match up in terms of things like audio sync, dropouts, pixellation, freezing for a second or two, etc?

Ken Elliott
post #120 of 6304 Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't had significant problems but have Moxi connected to an older 37" LCD flatscreen set via Component, not HDMI, as its HDMI/DVI connection presented flexibility issues. Since Moxi and TiVo are relatively expensive I'd strongly suggest trying each for 30 days, using their no questions money-back-guarantee before deciding.
--
I can confirm that Moxi's relatively long recording buffers (up to 4 hours) are related somehow to EPG info and are incremental with regard to their length. IOW, a Moxi buffer has the same start point for an hour or more and then the start point moves forward instantly. If a viewer is at the beginning of a buffer which jumps forward Moxi gives no warning and instantly it's an hour+ later. I recently experienced such a Moxi buffer drop from 3 hrs. 55 mins to 2 hrs. 35 mins.

Moxi's EPG doesn't display program data prior to the present unlike TiVo but does display the next program 5 minutes early much like TiVo. Whenever a program remains displayed in the EPG and also is contained in the buffer Moxi can easily turn it into a durable recording.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page