Moxi HD DVR - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1441 of 6344 Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1 on the MoCa solution. I went w/ the new Actiontecs X 3, cheaper than Netgear and you can buy a twinpack and an individual third. Would be great for Moxi and Mates.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethe...DateDescending
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 6344 Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Ouch.. another couple of weeks for the tech to come back?

There are two types of cable cards I am familiar with. Single Stream Cable Cards (S-cards) and Multistream Cards (M-Cards). S-Cards (not usually offered anymore) allows you to decode one stream for a tuner. For example, with Tivo Series 3 you need two S-Cards to get the dual tuners. M-Cards are the cards that are usually give multiple stream decoding. With M-Cards you can decoded 1, 2, 3, etc.. Multiple streams.

Moxi takes the M-Cards.

I have a feeling your tech is talking about a M card but have been installing Tivo and Tivo's limit is only 2 tuners... not the M card limit.

Yes, they have a pretty good backlog of appointments around here as they've just opened up the (FIOS) service in my neighborhood, which has hundreds of houses in it. I see little white flags all over the place.

I see about the M-cards, that's perfect. I had a feeling that tech was somewhat ignorant of the ability to decode more than 2 streams since he'd probably never dealt with Moxis before, but I couldn't be sure.

Thanks for the info!
post #1443 of 6344 Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhardyiv View Post

+1 on the MoCa solution. I went w/ the new Actiontecs X 3, cheaper than Netgear and you can buy a twinpack and an individual third. Would be great for Moxi and Mates.

I second that, I went with Moca primarily to stream video/audio files from my PC to my PS3 and Xbox in various rooms of the house, and the wireless bandwidth never seemed to be up to the task.

I went the used route though, opting for an Actiontec router at each cable outlet, which gave me the added benefit of a switch built in. I snagged 3 of them for right around $25 + shipping each on ebay. Works great!
post #1444 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenarek View Post

I just had a cablecard installed into my 3 tuner Moxi.

Pairing was easy. I just opened up the cablecard information page and the installer read off the numbers to someone at a provisioning office.

After that both the installer and the person he was talking to were stumped. The cablecard was paired but I didn't have access to any encrypted channels.

I fired up a live chat with Moxi support and this is what they told me:

Brock C: The Pairing process is only one part of the whole.
Brock C: They need to send the following commands in the following order
Brock C: 1. INIT, or HIT
Brock C: 2. Refresh
Brock C: 3. CCV, which is CableCARD Validate

After the installer read off those instructions and the person on the other end of the call implemented them I had all of my channels.

Moxi support is awesome.

It is amusing that Moxi support knows what to do but the monopoly cable company support staf doesn't (same thing happened on my TWC install). But on reflection this is expected since cable companies are doing there best to kill cablecards. Moxi support is superb.
post #1445 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhardyiv View Post

I wonder if a Netgear MoCA adapter interoperates with a Actiontec???
post #1446 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Seagate has a nice disk cloning utility that is OS agnostic. That said, whether it's fear from media owners or some other motive, there are a variety of methods that Moxi could implement which would prevent a perfectly cloned drive from being successfully installed. But good luck anyway.

JF

Also check out the open source Clonezilla.
post #1447 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

I wonder if a Netgear MoCA adapter interoperates with a Actiontec???

Yes.

Quote:

Will MoCA products from different manufacturers work together?
Yes, MoCA is a standard like WiFi so products from different manufacturers are tested to make sure they are interoperable.

http://mocablog.net/faq/
post #1448 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...17&id=11125898

I wonder what they will demonstrate...
post #1449 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer57 View Post

I ended up mapping the moxi. Using the IR repeater's emitter and using the remote to find the location of the Moxi emitter as I couldn't see it even with a flashlight either! Works great and I now have all my devices closed up in the Media cenyter cabinet. Makes the wife happy!

Can you clarify what equipment you used to get the Moxi to respond with an IR emitter? I thought that the IR jack in the back of the Moxi Mate was an IR input, but it sounds like it is an output (?). I wanted to install the Moxi mate in bedroom where I want the box to be hidden. I thought I could simply install an IR eye on my wall mounted TV and fish the cable through the wall to the back of the Moxi Mate. I guess it is more complicated than that.

Thanks...
post #1450 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The only other thing I would really like to see is a quick way to enable captions. Making it the first option in the settings stack or adding a caption on/off to the show info panel would be easier. I don't need it all the time but when you want it for things like a missed line of mumbled dialog it's a long task to turn on and off.

Will forward this to our Product Development team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

TheMoxiGuy, Any idea about the temporary pauses I get when watching recorded video on one of my mates?

Evangelo2, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Still looking into this one with our engineering team. Stay tuned.

Quote:

THE MOXI GUY,
Another feature/suggestion:
Is there any way we can have user replaceable internal harddrives? AVS members especially, haveitall, are concerned that the harddrive will wear out or break too frequently!

While this is a very interesting suggestion, due to content protection obligations, it isn't possible to provide user replaceable internal hard drives. We do have the most expandable HD DVR on the market via attaching an external DVR certified eSATA hard. Currently a 6TB external drive can be attached to the Moxi giving more than 1000 of HD recording.

Quote:

The Moxi Guy,

Since Moxi.com already can pull schedule recordings and recordings on DVR, can a new feature be implement to backup the series recordings, channels list, and preferences. Then hopefully then you can restore it when you need to.

Will forward this to our product development team as a suggestion. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

I have a quick Mate question as well. If my wife leaves the Mate while watching Live TV, will this permenantly chew up a tuner? What if the tuner is needed to record something, will it give preference to the scheduled recording or the Mate?
-Evangelo2

A Mate streaming Live TV will timeout, stop the stream and go to our Moxi screensaver after 3 hours of no user activity. When a recording is scheduled to start, a message will appear on the screan tied to any Mate or DVR using that tuner. The tuner will switch to the recorded program if no selection to stop the recording and stay tuned to that channel is made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post

Here is my big question: has the new software update sped up the responsiveness of the 2-tuner Moxi enough so that I would not be frustrated, coming from the TiVo, or should I look at the 3-tuner model?

Responsiveness is always a difficult question as it is very subjective and depends on the user. There are many areas that responsiveness is measured (changing channels, envoking the Moxi menu, scheduling recordings, etc.) We generally find the Moxi responsiveness is equal to or exceeds the competition. But we're always looking to improve in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks2971 View Post

I wrote an email to Cisco and they provided no help and pushed me to TWC. TWC did not even know a 3-tuner moxi was available when I called. I sent TWC an email and they responded "we will look into it, but can not promise this feature will be available with our service". I see no motivation for Cisco or TWC to do anything on this matter. Should Moxi be pushing this to the cable companies?

The firmware in the Tuning Adapter determines the number of tuners supported. So Cisco/SA could update the TAs in the field. Moxi does actively work with cable providers in an effort to provide necessary support for our product line. Please call our customer service department if you need assistance getting a more specific answer from your cable operator.

Quote:

Another thing about the Moxi that I really enjoy is the live tv on the top right corner of the screen. This allows you to do all your scheduling and manage options while you watch TV.

You can never do that with Tivo.

Thanks for noticing acaoacao! This is one of the Moxi features that we believe really differentiates our products and experience from the competition. Core to the development of the Moxi User Interface is ensuring the best possible TV viewing experience, so with Moxi you're able to view live or recorded TV even if you're performing other functions, like searching or recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

1) Show which channels each tuner is currently tuned to. This could be done in the guide. When viewing guide listings, each channel which was already tuned by a tuner would show a different color on the channel number. Similar to the way it shows orange for the currently tuned channel now. This way I would know which channels may have a recorded buffer and not lose that by changing the channel.

2) It would make more sense to me if the Moxi would stay on the same tuner unless I opted to "swap" to a different tuner. That way I could "channel surf" on one tuner but be able to swap to a different tuner and still have it be on the same channel it was on. This way I could keep a recorded buffer and come back to that program, but still channel surf with one of the other active tuners. It appears the Moxi currently just swaps tuners each time you change the channel (unless a recording is in process which will keep that tuner).

3) Enable the Moxi to remain paused when swapping between tuners.

#1: Will forward this suggestion to our product development team.
#2: One way to ensure that a channel is still buffering is to simply record it. When you do record, it will add anything in the buffer to the recording. So, for example, if you've been watching "Lost" for 15 minutes, and decide you want to record it at this point, the recording will contain this 15 minute portion as well as the rest of the show as it airs.
#3 Will also forward this suggestion to our product development team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2020 View Post

My understanding is that in regards to recordings each moxi will be handled seperatedly. You will be able to access the recording from each moxi though without the need to copy the show onto the other moxi.

The mate though will be linked to 1 Moxi but it will be able to pull shows from the other moxi but you will have to go to the device submenu.

You're correct that you will not need to copy a show to another Moxi or Moxi Mate. Recordings are streamed dynamically over the home network. Unlike other DVRs on the market, you won't have to remember where you recorded a particular program.

The Moxi Mate needs to be linked to a Moxi HD DVR (to access live TV on the Mate). But you can access all recordings available from any Moxi HD DVR in the home. These recordings will appear in your recorded section of your Moxi Mate. Likewise, if you opt to have two Moxi HD DVRs in your home, both Moxis will "see" and display the other's content as long as both are on the home network and running the same software update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

When you select a recorded show to get more info that doesn't include the title of the episode and the options replace the area where the title usually is. Can this be added to the top of the episode synopsis?

When you have multiple recordings in folder and select a show for deletion I like to be sure that I've selected the correct one, so having the episode title shown on screen with the rest of the info would be helpful.

We're looking into this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglover View Post

Add to the list of features (for both the Moxi and Mate):
- Directly access folders on a windows based file server without having to rely on some form of media server.
- Understand and play a DVD-structure with menus, audio options and subtitles (ambitious)
- Understand and play a Blu-ray structure with menus, audio options and subtitles (really ambitious)

Thanks for your suggestions. Will forward to our product development team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

Your point about the bedroom raises a question: if you have multiple Moxi's and a Mate or two, I assume the Mates can access any of the main Moxi units? (Thinking about _long_ term growth here :-)...

The Moxi Mates can access any of the recorded content on any of the Moxi HD DVRs. This will show in the Moxi Mate recordings section. However, it will use the tuners of only one Moxi HD DVR to deliver live TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post

Really? Does Cablevision use the same SDV adapter for all regions? Do you know if there is a list of which channels on Cablevision need the adapter?

Edit: Would the Cablevision SDV adapter really limit the Moxi to only 2 tuners, or does it mean that only 2 of the 3 tuners would be able to tune into SDV channels?

In some cases and some discrete SDV markets, this is correct. That is, until your cable provider provides an SDV adapter with the ability to support a 3-tuner DVR. One thing you might want to investigate is what channels use SDV in your area. In some areas, there are very few channels using SDV. If so, not using an SDV adapter might not affect your TV viewing experience significantly (or at all). The best thing to do is give your local cable provider a call to inquire.

-The Moxi Team
post #1451 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Now there's someone who really reads a thread.

Thanks for taking the time.

post #1452 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoxiGuy View Post

While this is a very interesting suggestion, due to content protection obligations, it isn't possible to provide user replaceable internal hard drives. We do have the most expandable HD DVR on the market via attaching an external DVR certified eSATA hard. Currently a 6TB external drive can be attached to the Moxi giving more than 1000 of HD recording.

No one's asking you to provide 'approved' user-replaceable hard drives - what's being asked is that you don't actively prevent someone from imaging a new drive to upgrade/replace the internal drive. If the HD dies (the most likely and almost sure to fail component over time), the owner is at the mercy of Arris tech support to get the box fixed, and that's just wrong. Tivo puts the content protection in a chip on the motherboard, and so could you - any user today can replace a drive in a Tivo HD whether Tivo 'approves' or not, and the content providers have not said one word about it. The hard drive should NOT be tied to the unit.

This is wrong, folks.
post #1453 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

If the HD dies (the most likely and almost sure to fail component over time), the owner is at the mercy of Arris tech support to get the box fixed, and that's just wrong.

If the hard drive fails you're not going to be imaging it in any case. (But, otherwise I agree, would be nice to be able to image it and have it work...)
post #1454 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:

No one's asking you to provide 'approved' user-replaceable hard drives - what's being asked is that you don't actively prevent someone from imaging a new drive to upgrade/replace the internal drive. If the HD dies (the most likely and almost sure to fail component over time), the owner is at the mercy of Arris tech support to get the box fixed, and that's just wrong. Tivo puts the content protection in a chip on the motherboard, and so could you - any user today can replace a drive in a Tivo HD whether Tivo 'approves' or not, and the content providers have not said one word about it. The hard drive should NOT be tied to the unit.

This is wrong, folks.

And I decided that it was "wrong" that with Tivo I would have to pay a monthly fee and that I couldn't stream recordings and live tv between devices and that if I wanted multi room capability I would have to buy another DVR with another set of monthly fees and another cable card.

Different products have different feature sets. It is up to each of us to decide what features are the most important.
post #1455 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 253
The point is that it doesn't have to be this way - the recordings are already encrypted on the drive and the Cablecard is tied to the box firmware, so there is no point to tying the drive to the unit. It's just stupid, and wrong.

And scientest, anyone can image a drive before it fails. One of the first things many Tivo HD owners do is upgrade the way-too-small 160GB stock drive, which is done by imaging the original HD to a bigger drive. That way you always have the original drive handy if the replacement fails, with little downtime. There are online providers like weaknees.com that sell replacement hard drives for Tivo HDs too, preimaged. With instructions and the necessary Torx screwdrivers. Another provider called dvrupgrade sells CDs with Tivo images that you can use to image your own replacement drive if you don't have a backup. I'm sure the images could also be found elsewhere...

As I said, anyone that buys one of these as their main unit with a couple of Mates might want to consider being without TV for a while when the HD breaks. Or having to run down to your local cableCo to get a temp DVR and all the hassle with that.
If you don't care, fine, but don't come whining here when it takes them a few days or more to fix your box.
post #1456 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And scientest, anyone can image a drive before it fails. One of the first things many Tivo HD owners do is upgrade the way-to-small 160GB stock drive, which is done by imaging the original HD to a bigger drive. That way you always have the original drive handy if the replacement fails, with little downtime.

Yeah, I realize that. The point was that the way you phrased your original post didn't make much of a convincing argument...
post #1457 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:

The point is that it doesn't have to be this way - the recordings are already encrypted on the drive and the Cablecard is tied to the box firmware, so there is no point to tying the drive to the unit. It's just stupid, and wrong.

And scientest, anyone can image a drive before it fails. One of the first things many Tivo HD owners do is upgrade the way-too-small 160GB stock drive, which is done by imaging the original HD to a bigger drive. That way you always have the original drive handy if the replacement fails, with little downtime. There are online providers like weaknees.com that sell replacement hard drives for Tivo HDs too, preimaged. With instructions and the necessary Torx screwdrivers. Another provider called dvrupgrade sells CDs with Tivo images that you can use to image your own replacement drive if you don't have a backup. I'm sure the images could also be found elsewhere...

As I said, anyone that buys one of these as their main unit with a couple of Mates might want to consider being without TV for a while when the HD breaks. Or having to run down to your local cableCo to get a temp DVR and all the hassle with that.
If you don't care, fine, but don't come whining here when it takes them a few days or more to fix your box.

I agree that it would be a pain to wait for this to be serviced when the internal HD finally does die. One potential workround would be if the product would keep working with an authorized external HD. Does Moxi work at all with only an external drive attached? Also, why does the Moxi Mate have a eSATA connector on it? Future feature?
post #1458 of 6344 Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post

[UPS rant]
The jokers at UPS completely bungled all shipments coming through the area for the last week. The heavy snow came Tuesday into Wednesday and was mostly cleared by Thursday. FedEx managed to get me a package that was delayed from Wednesday on Thursday with no issue. UPS, on the other hand, STILL hasn't delivered multiple packages that were scheduled to be delivered Friday (when travel was almost completely unimpeded). For each package they just put "ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS" in the description line for every day. At this rate, who knows when I'll get them...
[/UPS rant]

Amen brother. My eSATA enclosure for my external drive is stuck in ADVERSE WEATHER HELL. I could have WALKED it from Florida by now. USPS, FEDEX have both been to my house 9 days ago... #UPSFAIL
post #1459 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:

My eSATA enclosure for my external drive is stuck in ADVERSE WEATHER HELL.

I just got mine. I found this one:
http://3btech.net/chal3seatas3.html
only $12.99 with free shipping.
It's pretty basic but has vents front and back. On off switch and led. Comes with regular sata cable but you need esata-sata cable that I already had.

Only issue I had was the cable wouldn't fit so I had to get out my dremel tool and
widen the opening a little.

I put in a 1.5tb Seagate that Frys had on sale.
Dave
post #1460 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Can you clarify what equipment you used to get the Moxi to respond with an IR emitter? I thought that the IR jack in the back of the Moxi Mate was an IR input, but it sounds like it is an output (?). I wanted to install the Moxi mate in bedroom where I want the box to be hidden. I thought I could simply install an IR eye on my wall mounted TV and fish the cable through the wall to the back of the Moxi Mate. I guess it is more complicated than that.

Thanks...

Jonnyb

My understanding is that that IR jack is an output from the Moxi and not an input. If it was an input this task would have been easier.

Flyer57
Scottsdale, AZ
post #1461 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoxiGuy View Post

Thanks for great responses to a number of customer concerns. Unfortunately, I do not see how "content protection obligations" differ between internal and external drives.

OEM raw drives are quite economical today, for many folks 1T, 1.5T or 2T internally is more than good to go. Forcing customers to spend more money than they need to with OTHER suppliers doesn't really generate revenue for Moxi, but at least an option for such capacities in the machine from the git go sure WOULD create more revenue for Moxi.

Could it be that Moxi will not only offer the 3 tuner by itself without a Mate, AND a 1T, 1.5T, 2T model be in the cards?

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #1462 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 AM

sub
post #1463 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 PM

I am new to posting on forums...so excuse any mistakes. I have been following this for about a month now and I appreciate all of the shared information. I have a three tuner moxi and a mate for about two months now. I am an ex-tivo user.

Earlier this week I lost the user interface on the main unit when pushing the "diamond" button as the tech support guy called it. Everything was blank but I still had the schedule grid when double clicking diamond button. I rebooted the main unit and much to my surprise lost all of my recordings. I wasn't a happy camper. The tech told me they would review my logs and get back to me.

This evening called again and I am told that the software "failsafe mechanism" saw the hard drive was about to fail and reformatted my hard drive when I rebooted. They tell me to start recording again and everything should be fine. If it happens again will replace unit. I requested an email copy of the log but told they can't send it to me?

I haven't explored any other moxi threads here. Has anyone heard of similar problems? I was told it has only happened to four other customers but I am reluctant to build up recordings again.
post #1464 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No one's asking you to provide 'approved' user-replaceable hard drives - ..... Tivo puts the content protection in a chip on the motherboard, a...

This is wrong, folks.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree that it would be a pain to wait for this to be serviced when the internal HD finally does die. One potential workround would be if the product would keep working with an authorized external HD. Does Moxi work at all with only an external drive attached? Also, why does the Moxi Mate have a eSATA connector on it? Future feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Thanks for great responses to a number of customer concerns. Unfortunately, I do not see how "content protection obligations" differ between internal and external drives.

LISTEN UP!

Before we get the pitch forks and torches regarding this hard drive issue, lets clearly think about this.

1. What makes the hard drive on the Moxi unique? Nothing. It is a run of the mill SATA drive. Since it is a standard SATA drive, we should be able to copy this without a problem. I do not see any extra hard ware that will imply copy protection on the harddrive itself.

2. Did Tivo publicly state end users can swap out harddrives and thus void warranty? Absolutely not, Tivo never said that in a public forum. I think The Moxi Guys answer is a standard answer to prevent people from messing with the innards of the system and thus void the warranty. It probably can be done but he cannot say that in a public forum. If he states we can in a public forum, can you imagine the calls to Moxi support?!!!

3. Moxi is relatively new. Did Tivo Series one get replacement drives on eBay right away? NO. Give it some time. Once we get some brighter users on Moxi, there will be details steps to copy and back it up.

So now lets think about the steps to back this up.

What is the OS of Moxi? It is not Mac OS or Windows.. Licensing and Cost... So then it has to be linux. Linux is lightweight, highly configurable, and free.....

So who is a linux expert? and who has spare 500GB+ harddrives and available sata ports

I am thinking we can run a live cd (bootable Knoppix CD) or a linux and just try a linux copy command and see if it works. If it works, then we have a backup drive in case the internal one fails

Isn't that how we copied Tivo harddrives?
post #1465 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toille27 View Post

Everything was blank but I still had the schedule grid when double clicking diamond button. I rebooted the main unit and much to my surprise lost all of my recordings. I wasn't a happy camper. The tech told me they would review my logs and get back to me.

This evening called again and I am told that the software "failsafe mechanism" saw the hard drive was about to fail and reformatted my hard drive when I rebooted. They tell me to start recording again and everything should be fine. If it happens again will replace unit. I requested an email copy of the log but told they can't send it to me?n.

tollie,

This happened to a me a bit ago. The harddrive was the issue. You may need to get the unit replaced since it is under warranty. It might be prudent to write down all your series recording so you have a physical copy of it.
post #1466 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Just got my Moxi 3 tuner up and running (Moxi mates pending setup this weekend), and I had a couple questions:

Is the interface supposed to be pretty sluggish to respond? I'd say 1-2 button presses out of 5 on the remote don't even register, or register and don't take effect until the next time I press the button. This is worst navigating around the guide, but its bad everywhere (letter input for searching, for example). Is this normal? Could this be attributed to a problem with my setup?

After reading through this thread I got the impression that there was a native resolution output option. This doesn't appear to be the case. I called tech support and they weren't aware of one either. Is there one? This is a major turn off for me as even my Fios Home Media DVR box had this option.
post #1467 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thinking about about the hard drive issue.

via google search

Cloning an entire drive

You'll need two hard drives the same size, or a destination drive larger than the source drive. Make sure no partitions are mounted on either drive. In this example /dev/hda is the source drive, /dev/hdb is the destination drive. The dd command makes an exact, byte-for-byte copy, including the MBR (master boot record):
# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/s...artitions.html

http://paulski.com/zpages.php?id=1912
post #1468 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Isn't that how we copied Tivo harddrives?

Not exactly. Partitions on an expanded TiVo drive might look something like this:

Code:
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                          1@1950492736( 512.0 )
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          8192@1950492737(   4.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          524288@1950500929( 256.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                          1@1951025217( 512.0 )
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          8192@1951025218(   4.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          524288@1951033410( 256.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                      262144@1951557698( 128.0M)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            524288@1951819842( 256.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region          589824@1952344130( 288.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region             876054528@1074438208( 417.7G)
 12                   MFS MFS application region 2        589824@1952933954( 288.0M)
 13                   MFS MFS media region 2          1074438144@64        ( 512.3G)
 14                   MFS MFS App by Winmfs                 2048@1953523778(   1.0M)
 15                   MFS MFS Media by Winmfs          976732160@1953525826( 465.7G)
TiVo upgrades consist of (a) backup and restore of original software, and (b) creating and expanding the partitions necessary to use additional space. On its own, the software can't detect and use extra internal capacity.
post #1469 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Not exactly. Partitions on an expanded TiVo drive might look something like this snip
TiVo upgrades consist of (a) backup and restore of original software, and (b) creating and expanding the partitions necessary to use additional space. On its own, the software can't detect and use extra internal capacity.

Either way, we need someone with strong linux experience to do a direct copy using dd and see if it works first... baby steps before giant steps

Furthermore, we are looking at a backup option.... not a backup and expand option. If anyone wants to expand the Moxi, as the Moxi Guy pointed out.. you can easily upgrade to 6 TB using eSATA.

A direct clone/backup should not be as complicated as a Tivo Clone and expand.
post #1470 of 6344 Old 02-18-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 418
Quote:

LISTEN UP!

Before we get the pitch forks and torches regarding this hard drive issue, lets clearly think about this.

1. What makes the hard drive on the Moxi unique? Nothing. It is a run of the mill SATA drive. Since it is a standard SATA drive, we should be able to copy this without a problem. I do not see any extra hard ware that will imply copy protection on the harddrive itself.

Except it might have custom firmware. That's how Microsoft lock standard drives to the Xbox 360 and make it difficult to upgrade unless you buy one of their retail branded (and massively overpriced) drives.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page