5Likes

post #1561 of 6304 Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

You may want to try out Null River's MediaLink.

Another option...? I've got EyeTV on my Macbook and must have installed some media sharing service at some point, as I see all my iTunes on Moxi via EyeConnect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 6304 Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

You may want to try out Null River's MediaLink.

This may be a stupid question, but will it work with the Moxi?

Thanks.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1563 of 6304 Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #1564 of 6304 Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Thanks.

Mark

I purchased Nullriver when I upgraded to Snow Leopard and Tivo's desktop didn't work (before they issued new version). The moxi sees the Nullriver server but times out when trying to connect. Haven't got it to work.
post #1565 of 6304 Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

New Moxi review from CNET

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-vide...html?tag=rtcol

That seems pretty fair and they nailed all the usual complaints (like the remote) and lack of integrated online streaming.

Moxi really need to partner up with at least Amazon or Blockbuster to get past the PlayOn software somewhat. For all it's slickness and modern networked features the lack of a streaming service built-in is becoming really obvious. Nearly all new HT devices being released now are streaming content from somewhere.

post #1566 of 6304 Old 02-25-2010, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That seems pretty fair and they nailed all the usual complaints (like the remote) and lack of integrated online streaming.

Moxi really need to partner up with at least Amazon or Blockbuster to get past the PlayOn software somewhat. For all it's slickness and modern networked features the lack of a streaming service built-in is becoming really obvious. Nearly all new HT devices being released now are streaming content from somewhere.

Hopefully CinemaNow VOD will be integrated soon with a upcoming update.

http://www.cinemanow.com/DevicesMoxi.aspx
post #1567 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Thanks.

Mark

I said "try out." They do have a demo version, so it costs nothing but a small bit of time.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #1568 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toille27 View Post

I purchased Nullriver when I upgraded to Snow Leopard and Tivo's desktop didn't work (before they issued new version). The moxi sees the Nullriver server but times out when trying to connect. Haven't got it to work.

Like I think I said, media streaming seems to revolve around supporting UPnP or DLNA... so if Moxi does NOT support either, it won't work with most of the media serving software I read about.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #1569 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Like I think I said, media streaming seems to revolve around supporting UPnP or DLNA... so if Moxi does NOT support either, it won't work with most of the media serving software I read about.

The Moxi does support DLNA and it does work with most of the DLNA server software that I have tried.
post #1570 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:

Not what I would call a glowing review. I'm surprised they didn't rate at least as high as a Tivo. It's got some key features the Tivo doesn't and shares most of the 'cons' with the Tivo too.
post #1571 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Here are some instructions for using G4l (Ghost 4 Linux)
http://www.oakdome.com/lab/?page_id=8

Here is the link for the ISO
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Quote:
Originally Posted by toille27 View Post

Thanks for this info. I tried cloning my Seagate pipeline to a WD 5000AVDS using my disc utility on my mac. After several tries and wasted hours of input/output errors I tried clonzilla and it gave me errors on reading the Seagate drive and terminated the program. I used G4L in raw clone and it locked up on me at 48 percent during the clone process. Just for yuks I put the WD drive in the Moxi and much to my surprise it works. Thanks!

Does anyone know if it is possible to clone the SATA drive using eSATA connections on my desktop? The instructions linked above are for a IDE drive. Just curious if this is possible with some sort of adapter cable.
post #1572 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to clone the SATA drive using eSATA connections on my desktop? The instructions linked above are for a IDE drive. Just curious if this is possible with some sort of adapter cable.

Sorry for the instructions, they are for IDE but they should translate well to SATA.

Yes. Cloning using a eSATA cable should be fine. Matter of fact, a external enclosure should work as well, albiet it could be slower with an USB interface.
post #1573 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad View Post

The drive can be cloned. I sucessfully cloned it to a 2 TB drive, and the unit boots and runs fine. Bad news, it is an unknown filesystem and I couldn't see or expand the partition. Used g4l in raw clone mode. Freeware

So, you successfully cloned the drive. By this do you mean that there was media on the parent drive and it plays back when the cloned drive is installed into the Moxi? Not sure what you mean by an unknown filesystem. There are only a very few disk file systems commonly used regardless of OS. When you opened up the Moxi did you happen to see what controller chip they were using? Sure would love a couple of pictures of the Moxi's system board

JF
post #1574 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

So, you successfully cloned the drive. By this do you mean that there was media on the parent drive and it plays back when the cloned drive is installed into the Moxi? Not sure what you mean by an unknown filesystem. There are only a very few disk file systems commonly used regardless of OS. When you opened up the Moxi did you happen to see what controller chip they were using? Sure would love a couple of pictures of the Moxi's system board

JF

I'm pretty sure the Moxi uses a BCM7400 for the core of the system.

Here is a PDF overview of that part:
http://www.sat4all.com/forums/ubbthr...me/BCM7400.pdf
post #1575 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

All the features of the current units can all be found in the manuals.

Moxi:
https://moxi.com/us/support/MC4R/mox...sers_guide.pdf

Yes, I know that. Thanks. As far as adding/subtracting a few minutes to the start/end of a program goes, all the manual says is:

" If the recording hasn't started yet, you can start it early or stop it late."

It doesn't say if you can start it late or stop it early (as I do with my present DVR.) The manual says you can change the DEFAULT settings to start/stop programs early/late, but it gives no details or specifics. Can I end ONE program 2 minutes late, and another 1 minute late? I was hoping that someone that actually uses this function in a Moxi would comment, and perhaps provide a screen shot of that function's menu.

As for programming a manual recording, it was mentioned months ago that a Moxi DVR would not do this. But, there have been several firmware updates since then, and I didn't want to assume that the online manual was up-to-the-minute with all updates.

Thanks for your reply.
post #1576 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

It doesn't say if you can start it late or stop it early (as I do with my present DVR.) The manual says you can change the DEFAULT settings to start/stop programs early/late, but it gives no details or specifics. Can I end ONE program 2 minutes late, and another 1 minute late? I was hoping that someone that actually uses this function in a Moxi would comment, and perhaps provide a screen shot of that function's menu.

As for programming a manual recording, it was mentioned months ago that a Moxi DVR would not do this. But, there have been several firmware updates since then, and I didn't want to assume that the online manual was up-to-the-minute with all updates.

Moxi doesn't do manual timed recordings.

I will check on the start stop times but from what I can recall I believe that you can set that per series you have scheduled.
post #1577 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What that review, and others, misstates is that you must get an analog "dongle" if your cable system still has an analog tier. Such is not necessarily true.

For example, Cox Cable in San Diego. It has an two analog tiers, but also "simulcasts" those signals digitally. WHY? Because some of the STBs that they use DO NOT have analog tuners. A TV's tuner will tune the regular analog NTSC frequency, while the STB will tune the digital 256QAM (CA) frequency. My Cisco/SA8240HDC HD DVR does not have an analog tuner (same as the Moxi), but tunes the digitally "simulcast" frequency instead. So will the Moxi.

Many Comcast, TWC systems (and others) employ the same setup.
post #1578 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenarek View Post

Moxi doesn't do manual timed recordings.

I will check on the start stop times but from what I can recall I believe that you can set that per series you have scheduled.

Thanks. I was hoping it could be set by individual program (i.e., end at 10:01pm for that program only.) I usually don't program by series.
post #1579 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Moxi uses a BCM7400 for the core of the system.

Here is a PDF overview of that part:
http://www.sat4all.com/forums/ubbthr...me/BCM7400.pdf

Yikes! When people talk about a SOC they ain't kiddin'. Any clue as the OS? I hear talk bandied about regarding Linux. If so, it must be a propitiatory, stripped down version of the kernel. Regardless, so that's what heats up when my Moxi is plugged in.

JF
post #1580 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Hey all. This is my first post, so i'm popping my cherry. Just wanted to say I really enjoy reading all of the posts, lots of useful information on it. I currently have a 4 Moxis in my house, 2 3 Tuner units, and 2 Mates. If anybody has any questions, I will do my best to answer them. Overall, I would give it a solid 4 our of 5. There are some issues, but I really like Moxis commitment to continue to upgrade and fix the software issues they have with the system. I just upgraded my house to Cat 6 all connected to a netgear 24 port gigabit rackmount switch. It all worked great until i found out the flow control is all messed up and i had to get a new switch. Still waiting to get the new one. Anyway, please feel free to ask me any questions, more than happy to help,

Jonathan
post #1581 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinaker View Post

Hey all. This is my first post, so i'm popping my cherry. Just wanted to say I really enjoy reading all of the posts, lots of useful information on it. I currently have a 4 Moxis in my house, 2 3 Tuner units, and 2 Mates.

Are you tuner adapter crippled or do you have all six tuners to play with?

post #1582 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just checked that, if you go into the schedule recordings list you can make the 1, 2 or 5 minute adjustment to start and end times of one-off recordings and in the usual series recording option places.

post #1583 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

They've been pretty good about updating the manual with each system update. They have to be really, especially since the documentation in the box is lacking.

post #1584 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Are you tuner adapter crippled or do you have all six tuners to play with?

I believe I have all of them to play with. I don't have the SDV adapter yet, so I would assume all of them are working. I haven't run into any conflict yet, which is always encouraging.
post #1585 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinaker View Post

I believe I have all of them to play with. I don't have the SDV adapter yet, so I would assume all of them are working. I haven't run into any conflict yet, which is always encouraging.

Cool. Since you have more than one 3 Tuner model, maybe you can volunteer and create a backup image file using g4l.

I have a feeling we can get a image file that is small so we can just save the image file and restore it when needed
post #1586 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When you opened up the Moxi did you happen to see what controller chip they were using? Sure would love a couple of pictures of the Moxi's system board

So would I. Whoever decides to crack open the hardware next, make sure you take some photos. I'd love to get inside but can't bring myself to void the warranty just yet.

post #1587 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Cool. Since you have more than one 3 Tuner model, maybe you can volunteer and create a backup image file using g4l.

I have a feeling we can get a image file that is small so we can just save the image file and restore it when needed

I'm not sure how my father would feel about voiding the warranty on a bran new Moxi. After the warranty is up, I wouldn't mind having a go at it. I did it for my Tivo. It wasn't that hard to do.
post #1588 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spinaker:

How does Moxi stack up against your TiVo? I have a Series 3 and am thinking
of switching. Any comparisons, pro or con, would be helpful.

Thanks...
post #1589 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Yikes! When people talk about a SOC they ain't kiddin'. Any clue as the OS? I hear talk bandied about regarding Linux. If so, it must be a propitiatory, stripped down version of the kernel. Regardless, so that's what heats up when my Moxi is plugged in.

JF

I know! It is pretty crazy that so much can be integrated into a single chip.
post #1590 of 6304 Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:

So would I. Whoever decides to crack open the hardware next, make sure you take some photos. I'd love to get inside but can't bring myself to void the warranty just yet.

I found one photo online. You can't read chip part numbers but you can see the general layout.

It was from this crunchgear review.
http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content...oxi-inside.jpg
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page